FRITO-LAY Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1238)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at FRITO-LAY?

What do you like best about working at FRITO-LAY? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

bandito

88 months ago

i made 70,000 last year. i'm a 17 year rsr driver based in honolulu. the average starting salary is about 30,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

ex frito in Holden, Missouri

85 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at FRITO-LAY?

What do you like best about working at FRITO-LAY? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

im a ex frito lay RSR my first yr i made 54,000 my 2nd i made 43,000 and the yr i quit i was est. about 37,000 Frito lay is in with walmart and they dont want any rsr makeing over 35 per year Dont do if you like you free time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Kath

84 months ago

bandito said: i made 70,000 last year. i'm a 17 year rsr driver based in honolulu. the average starting salary is about 30,000.

Any you work hoilday, weekends and probably 65 hours a week! I work for Frito for 2 years and HATED every minute of it! It is a glorified merchandising job! All the money Frito makes and they pay like crap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna in Mount Holly, North Carolina

84 months ago

Kath said: Any you work hoilday, weekends and probably 65 hours a week! I work for Frito for 2 years and HATED every minute of it! It is a glorified merchandising job! All the money Frito makes and they pay like crap!

Yea Kath, I agree with you. I worked there almost three years and was ready to blow my brains out towards the end. I was so stressed. I just thank God that my husband is the breadwinner of the house, allowing me to find another job and take a big cut in pay. That is the problem with ALL route sales jobs. Most people that do these jobs are indeed miserable, but they have their bills set up on what they are making and cannot afford to take a cut in pay. Routes in our area start at around $44,000 per year. Jobs are scarce in our area and where else can you go and start out at $44,000 per year? Therefore, people are trapped, or atleast that's how the men felt that I worked with. Trust me, if they could find another job starting off with what they make at Frito Lay, they would be long gone. The Charlotte district has a horrible turn over rate. Even with what they pay, it's still not enough to keep people there. For the people who have made a career out of it, I take my hat off to ya--I just couldn't handle it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

George23 in Barnhart, Missouri

80 months ago

Just wondering if anyone has worked for Frito Lay in St. Louis, MO??

How was the pay and job?

How is the interview process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous 11 in Charleston, South Carolina

78 months ago

George23 in Barnhart, Missouri said: Just wondering if anyone has worked for Frito Lay in St. Louis, MO??

How was the pay and job?

The interview process in a wate of time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kooper in Missouri

74 months ago

George23 in Barnhart, Missouri said: Just wondering if anyone has worked for Frito Lay in St. Louis, MO??

How was the pay and job?

The pay in STL is comparable to other sales/delivery jobs in the area. The interview process is long bc they have so many candidates applying. The positives are that FL is a stable company that doesn't have layoffs and a solid benefit package for you and your family. The negatives are we service the stores when they are open which is 365 days a year. On the flip side you have a pretty dependable schedule unless you want to work more days and get paid extra for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

74 months ago

Hey Kooper,

Do you currently work for Frito?

And,

Is it easy to relocate at Frito Lay as a RSR? You know, if I'm new and I put in a solid 10 months with an excellent work ethic, would it be easy to relocate to another part of the USA? Do you know of RSR's who have after a short time period with the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Captain Kangaroo in Raleigh, North Carolina

74 months ago

Deansuraci.... What are your plans. Tell me why are you trying to relocate in 10 months. Why dont you apply at the place where you want to relocate? Where are you with your Frito Lay deal? Are you still uncertain about what I have shared with you? Let me know..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

74 months ago

Captain Kangaroo in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Deansuraci.... What are your plans. Tell me why are you trying to relocate in 10 months. Why dont you apply at the place where you want to relocate? Where are you with your Frito Lay deal? Are you still uncertain about what I have shared with you? Let me know..

Take it easy big guy. LOL. Just wanted another opinion Captain K. It is dangerous to relocate to another city and state without having a job first. Just read what others have written on Indeed about that. What happens if I don't get the job in the new state that I move to. Maybe they won't like something about me or something I say during the interview. I know it's an extra step to first start here with Frit then transfer, but I want to err on the side of caution. Easy big guy, I'm not trying to upset you. Your probably just alittle upset about Budweiser being taken over by a foreign company this week. Please don't take it out on me. Easy big guy. Easy. LOL. I basically want to get as many opinions as I can bout Frit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Wilson in Dayton, Ohio

74 months ago

Folks! I know what you've been through. I have worked for Frito for 22 years as a Lead whse. I was Terminated for changeing the the date in my PC to force an order to the PLant. pretty lame especially with only 8 years to 30 and out. This company stinks. For temp work it's ok. But don't try to make a career out of it. They won't let you make it. They still have to pay my pension but it will have dropped nearly in half. I loved my job and was very good at it even with the high stress and pressure. The problem as always is management with no people skills that are directly number driven!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Transferring to another Zone Office with Frito Lay is not as easy as you think. If the area is in desparate search for RSR's then you might be in. I know that some zones are very poorly managed and people do not stay for the way they are treated. If the zone is established with "good" RSR's even though you are in with the company at one, that does not guarantee you are able to move to another quickly. When you decide to transfer or relocate to another zone at your expense, plan on it taking around 6 to 18 weeks to finalize this. The zone you currently work for will do everything they can to hold up the process. They will not just transfer you, you will have to go at your own expense on your day off to meet with zone management the same way you did when you came on board with your current zone office. Also beware they do contact alot of management at your current zone office to find out what kind of RSR you are. If one or more management people are in doubt, there is good chance you will not get or have the opportunity to transfer leaving you the decission of either staying where you are or quiting the company. Each zone is run like an independent company even though it all falls under the Frito Lay umbrella.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dee in Monterey, California

73 months ago

Hello, What's the starting pay for a Route Driver for Frito-Lay weekly? or do you get payed every two weeks? What's the pay by the hour?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Dee,

Frito Lay pays RSR (Route Sales) each week. You are not paid by the hour, you are paid commission with a base. The base is a small amount and that varies where you live.

Please read all my forums on Frito Lay. It will share with you in detail about what you are paid and how.

ASK THE CAPTAIN ABOUT FRITO LAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

73 months ago

Chips and Meat are my life - how sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Chips and Meat are not my life.... BOSCO.. why do you say that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Douglas M in Phoenix, Arizona

73 months ago

Bosco in Orlando, Florida said: What do you mean 'what do you mean?' Frito Lay and Horizon Foods are my life . . .

Bosco the Clown, Bozo the Clown, Bosco the Clown, Bozo the Clown................What's the difference between the two?

Answer: Not one thing. They're both clowns!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

73 months ago

Douglas M in Phoenix, Arizona said: Bosco the Clown, Bozo the Clown, Bosco the Clown, Bozo the Clown................What's the difference between the two?

Answer: Not one thing. They're both clowns!

Ooh, good one. You got me there. Is that really the best you could come up with? You guys have been spending too much time selling meat (and chips) door to door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gatar in dennison, Ohio

73 months ago

What is the average work week like for an OTR Frito-lay truckdriver? I see they make between $60-$70k a year but I'm sure your going to have to really work for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fuhqu1003 in Newark, Ohio

71 months ago

it varies from location to location.... in the columbus d.c u start out as an extra making ..covering vacations and sick days ect.... 675 a week divide that with 5 and that is what u make a day.. anything over 40 hours is considered v-rot variable rate of over time..... and basically the more u sell the more ur hour over 40 is worth ------get done don't work over its not worth it... but i work about 55 hours a week.... mt first year with frito i made 30,000 this is my 2nd year and i will clear 50,000 and now we are hiring merchandisers for this new superbulk... at 13-15 an hour...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

micheal knight in Washington, District of Columbia

70 months ago

I work in the dc in MD. I've been here two yrs. the pay is good and the hours are not that bad. We have 93 routes here, I have a merch route. I start at 3 am and usually done by 11 am. It took 6 months for me to get my route. Starting pay here for a new rsr is 730 a week. When i was hired it was 685 a week. The benefits are great. We load our trucks when we get back in the afternoon for the next day. An average work week for me is between 50-55 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

frank1234 jose in Bronx, New York

70 months ago

after the background check what is the next step. background check it means that you r in or what????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MisterG9 in Cranston, Rhode Island

65 months ago

I need some advice. I have an interview with Frito-Lay, Cranston, RI for Route Sales. This is my third time. Applied online two other times and was sent a rejection letter both times saying that another candidate was better qualified. The second time the hiring manager actually remembered me and told me it was like the lottery. Was is going on? Has anyone out there worked at the Frito-Lay in Cranston, RI? Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

misscarolinagirl in gastonia, North Carolina

65 months ago

I worked out of Charlotte years ago. I think Frito Lay is a lot like other companies in that they hire recommendations from people that work there. That's how I got on with the company. My cousin worked there and put in a good word for me. I didn't have any prior route experiance. I know anytime a route came open, I was asked several times if I knew of anyone who would be interested in a job.

So it may just be who you know. Keep trying because you can earn a good living with the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

JBEAN:

Most routes are set up like that, so more than likely that will be your schedule. You will probably have only two-three grocery stores depending on their sales. The rest will be convenient stores, dollar stores, or drug stores. You will probably work 50-60 hours a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wop2 in Valley Cottage, New York

65 months ago

I just got hired and I start next week. How long after you start do the Medical benefits take effect?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bruinguybry in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

65 months ago

wop2 in Valley Cottage, New York said: I just got hired and I start next week. How long after you start do the Medical benefits take effect?

did u get hired after the first interview. i had an interview on friday i meet with two women for about ten minutes. then i was told wait about an hour for another interview where i was interviewd by two men. i didn't go great but i'm qualified and young and also know a guy who works there. they said i'll know something in two weeks just wondering why it takes two week's to figure it out or maybe they're just blowing me off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I went on two interviews and had to take a test. The first interview was with three different people. The second was like a final interview with one of the guys from the first interview. I had to go for a drug test. They give the ones where they cut your hair. The whole process took about five weeks. It was a long drawn out process.

As far as medical benefits, I couldn't remember because I had insurance through my husband's place of employment so I didn't have any interest in it through Frito Lay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hostile in Winston Salem, North Carolina

64 months ago

How much is the pay for all the warehouse in North Cal region of frito lay? How does each warehouse offload containers? Is it dead stack or by pallets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

gearhead69 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

63 months ago

I am looking at an RSR job, they say starting salary is $37,700.
They also say the average week is 50-60 hrs. It also mentioned something about an overtime rate, variable or something like that. My question is, is the $37,700 for 40hrs and then you get some sort of overtime pay for the rest? Or is it straight $37,700 salary? Any help would be apppreciated, thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I use to work for Frito Lay, and that overtime you are asking about is something the guys use to call Chinese overtime. You do get paid for hours over forty, but it only amounts to like $2-3 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

gearhead69 in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I am looking at an RSR job, they say starting salary is $37,700.
They also say the average week is 50-60 hrs. It also mentioned something about an overtime rate, variable or something like that. My question is, is the $37,700 for 40hrs and then you get some sort of overtime pay for the rest? Or is it straight $37,700 salary? Any help would be apppreciated, thanks.

Gear head, I am an RSR in columbus ohio, here u start out as a merchandiser.. 15.50 an hour 40 hours aweek 2 weeks paid vacation.. apoun hire... then if u want and u are good at merchandising for SUPERBULK u then would become an RSA which is almost an RSR its the step before.. where u would cover vacations sick days.. ect..... and they are paid 725 gross a week in columbus ... and the over time is whats know as VROT-variable rate over time.. Meaning the more u sell in a week the more your hours over 40 are worth.. but the less u sell the less they are worth and with being an rsa it will only make ur hour worth 3-5 bux an hour.. for any hour u work over 40 hours.. and if ur good and thoorough u will work over 40 ... then when u become and RSA u will be based off a commision and a base.. like my commission is 3% with a 250 base. so this week i will run over 39000 in sales so my take home will be about $1000 and since i am selling so much my hours over 40 WILL be worth 10-12 an hour... and also at frito.. there is a thing called lesser pay.. if u don;t sell one bag of chips once ur and RSR u are guranteed a 400 dollar gross so about a 300 dollar take home.... over all i like the job it is work... its deff.. hard but.. i like calling the shots and making decisions and being my own boss... to a degree.. and free chips.. i am gonna make 60 grand this year.. i hope this helped

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I just had a phone interview with Frito, He said it would be about 2 or 3 more interviews if you make it that far and around 6 weeks before someone actually gets offered a job.
I don't meen to pry but is that $1000 take home a typical week for you, I understand the pay fluctuates with sales, but what would you say the average pay a week is.

Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Well I got the Sorry letter from Frito today, kind of figured seeing I have been a Tool & Die Maker for the past 14 yrs and I don't have any real recent experience in customer service/sales.
Thank you to all who answered my questions.
If anyone knows of any Tool & Die shops hiring please feel free to leave a comment for me.

Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Erik Kauffman in Creston, Ohio

63 months ago

Ya know, I'm a guy who has been out of work since November. Those of you who whine and complain about how much you hate your job at Frito Lay or that hated it so bad when you worked there should try being unemployed for 6 freakin months and tell me you'd rather do that than work at Frito Lay. I know guys doing the RSR job here in Wooster who have done it for years and they really like it. I think those of you who complain and moan are maybe just lazy, don't really want to have to do much for your money, and are just not thankful for anything. If I should be fortunate enough to get a job as a RSR at Frito Lay you can bet your ass I'm going to be thankful for it. I wasn't raised to be a whiny unthankful little brat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Erik Kauffman in Creston, Ohio said: fuhqu1003, I was just called today to go for the route drive next Tuesday. Does this mean I have the job if it all goes well and I pass the drug test?
I also wonder if I will have to be a merchandiser first like you guys down in Columbus. I'm up in Wooster Ohio, and I didn't know I should be asking them all these different things, and they sure didn't give me any details. They just said that the guy I am to ride with will call me and we will meet someplace on Tuesday. I'm just not sure what everything means or what to expect.

Erik,
Congrads man one step closer. The "ride along" you are going on will be to show u if you will like the job and let u get a better inside look at frito-world.
Have you had your interviews yet? if so then yeah pass ur drug test and your good to go .... and ur background check and such.. If you are doing a ride along then chances are you are not going to be a merchandiser, so u will go threw 6 weeks of training with a trainer learn everything.. it will be alot.. then you will start running vacation routes on your own and be called an RSA.. Ask your dude ur riding along with .. the questions u have if they give a half a sh*t.. they will be more than happy to explain any thing..and it is a great job.. its a a lifestyle man.. career.. let me know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

gearhead69 in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Well I got the Sorry letter from Frito today, kind of figured seeing I have been a Tool & Die Maker for the past 14 yrs and I don't have any real recent experience in customer service/sales.
Thank you to all who answered my questions.
If anyone knows of any Tool & Die shops hiring please feel free to leave a comment for me.

Thanks again.

try looking at pepsi merchandiser.. coke merchandiser.. get u some grocery exp... then u will be good to go... these positions will range 25-35 grand a year
good luck man its tough out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Erik Kauffman in Creston, Ohio said: Ya know, I'm a guy who has been out of work since November. Those of you who whine and complain about how much you hate your job at Frito Lay or that hated it so bad when you worked there should try being unemployed for 6 freakin months and tell me you'd rather do that than work at Frito Lay. I know guys doing the RSR job here in Wooster who have done it for years and they really like it. I think those of you who complain and moan are maybe just lazy, don't really want to have to do much for your money, and are just not thankful for anything. If I should be fortunate enough to get a job as a RSR at Frito Lay you can bet your ass I'm going to be thankful for it. I wasn't raised to be a whiny unthankful little brat.

Erik:
I work full time and go to school full time, so I would hardly call myself lazy. Route work isn't for everyone. The job itself isn't all that physically demanding. Hell, I'm a gal and did it for three years. The problem is you get burned and stressed out. There's no additional time off other than your two days off. You can never do enough for this company. I always beat my last years sales, and stayed under my stale percentage, but yet it wasn't good enough. You get tired of only hearing the negative.

As for your theory about being laid off, quit crying. My hubby just went to work after being laid off for six months. He worked for Merita years ago. He could have got another route job easily earlier on but chose to stay on unemployment until something better came along. And don't you dare say my hubby must be lazy because he works 50+ hours a week digging and pumping sh*t all day, and says he would much rather do this than do any route job out there. I take it you never had a route job before; therefore, you have no idea what it's really like but yet you are this great expert on the subject and want to share your opinion with everybody.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I did really well on the aptitude test they told me, the background check was clean. No formal interviews yet. I go ride with this guy on Tuesday, then they tell me I will have an interview with somebody (who I do not know) and if that goes good then I get my drug test.
They did tell me I will be a RSA first. This woman said RSA's make $500 a week plus VROT....sounds kind of low compared to other areas like Akron, Columbus, etc. Much less than I was making before at my old job, but oh well. She didn't tell me how long you have to be an RSA before you can bid on your own route though and become an RSR.
No, I will not have to be a merchandiser. They don't do it that way in the Wooster region.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Erik Kauffman in Creston, Ohio said: I did really well on the aptitude test they told me, the background check was clean. No formal interviews yet. I go ride with this guy on Tuesday, then they tell me I will have an interview with somebody (who I do not know) and if that goes good then I get my drug test.
They did tell me I will be a RSA first. This woman said RSA's make $500 a week plus VROT....sounds kind of low compared to other areas like Akron, Columbus, etc. Much less than I was making before at my old job, but oh well. She didn't tell me how long you have to be an RSA before you can bid on your own route though and become an RSR.
No, I will not have to be a merchandiser. They don't do it that way in the Wooster region.

And Carolina, I think you must know I was referring mostly to you with my lazy comments, and it looks like I touched a nerve. I would apologize, but I'm not sorry. All I've seen you do on here is badmouth Frito, and yes I've had route jobs before. Don't go speculating about my past because you don't know anything about it. In this particular time in the world, I'm choosing to NOT wait for something better like your husband did. It's tough to find ANYTHING in my area right now. I wanna work....not wait around because I think I'm too good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Erik Kauffman in Creston, Ohio said: I did really well on the aptitude test they told me, the background check was clean. No formal interviews yet. I go ride with this guy on Tuesday, then they tell me I will have an interview with somebody (who I do not know) and if that goes good then I get my drug test.

They have you go on the route ride first because they have had a lot of people come back and say no thanks, not what they had in mind. The route ride is a cake walk because you have two people doing the job of one. They don't want to invest the time in someone who they think won't stick around. They tell you that you don't actually have to do any work while your on your route ride, just observe. Don't do this. You better work your butt off because who do you think they are going to talk to when you get back? That's right, the guy you went out on the ride with. They want to see how good of a worker you are, and if you can make it. After all this, if they call you for the interview, you probably have the job. You will probably go on at least three interviews. They do not get in any hurry during this process, so you will have to be patient. With jobs scarce, you will probably be a RSA for quite a while. In the Charlotte are, this isn't a problem since they can't keep drivers at their DC. You've been laid off a while, so right now you are just desperate for a job. I get that. However, after about a year with Frito Lay, I know you will look back and say now I understand what that girl was talking about. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Erik Kauffman in Creston, Ohio said: And Carolina, I think you must know I was referring mostly to you with my lazy comments, and it looks like I touched a nerve. I would apologize, but I'm not sorry. All I've seen you do on here is badmouth Frito, and yes I've had route jobs before. Don't go speculating about my past because you don't know anything about it. In this particular time in the world, I'm choosing to NOT wait for something better like your husband did. It's tough to find ANYTHING in my area right now. I wanna work....not wait around because I think I'm too good.

Not badmouth. Just tell it like it is. No sugar coating the truth. Hubby didn't wait around because he thought he was too good, he just knew what it was like being in route sales and didn't want to go back to that, knowing what he would be getting himself in to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

misscarolinagirl in gastonia, North Carolina said: Not badmouth. Just tell it like it is. No sugar coating the truth. Hubby didn't wait around because he thought he was too good, he just knew what it was like being in route sales and didn't want to go back to that, knowing what he would be getting himself in to.

That was a good post. I appreciate that. I do see that fully 50% of people who get an RSR job don't care for it. I will just have to experience it for myself, if I get the chance. I gotta say though that the ungodly long process a person has to go through is just insane. This is potato chips for Christ's sake, not the Pentagon!!
I'm gonna let everyone know how the ride goes. Carolina, I'm not on here to make enemies, And I really do appreciate your last couple posts. If you're right about this job and after a year or so I see it's not a great job, I'll be the first to say "hey, ya know, you were exactly right". But at this time I feel like I gotta at least try if they want me to. I've heard everything you've said, and I will definitely keep it in mind. I happen to now it's got a lot to do with who the supervisor is for a particular area too, isn't that correct??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Like I said, the jobs not for everyone. You may love it. The upside is that you can make really good money with Frito Lay. I made $53,000 my last year with the company. Sounds like you are definitely in the running for a job.

Sale yourself in the interview. Ensure them that with your vending experiance, you know the hard work and hours it takes to run a route, and you don't mind putting the time in every week. You want these people to say hey, I think he'll stick around and be a good one. The main thing is to make them think that you are going to stick around. The training process is 4-6 weeks, and they don't want to waste their time with someone they think will leave. They use to would hire just about anybody, but now with jobs so scarce, they can afford to be more picky. They prefer people with route experiance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

So you made $53,000. What did you average for hours per day?? Is it the same every day or does it just depend? And is Saturday the same as any other day? How early can a guy start in the morning? I'm an early riser, so 4 or 5AM would not be a problem for me.
Now this TRAINING you keep mentioning; what should I expect with that? Is it training on the route or is it something else?
Yes I know, I ask WAY too many questions. But I really appreciate having your experience to draw from :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Training is with another route driver. You will be with this same driver the entire training process helping him with his route. You will work 8-12 hours per day. Just depends on how much you have to do, and if any problems arise. Getting checked in will be your main time stopper. Getting started early depends on two things: how early you can start loading your truck, and what time you can get started at your first stop. Now some DC's have people that work overnight to load trucks, while others have to go in and load their own trucks. I don't know how it is set up in your area. Most of my stops wouldn't even open until 5 a.m. I don't think there is a set time as long as you can make your cut off times at your grocery stores which is usually 1 o'clock. RSR's average $40-$60 per year, but I think it's safe to say most drivers average in the $40's. The best routes are the ones with the higher volume grocery stores. For example, my route was around a lake area surrounded by million dollar homes. I had two grocery stores. My sales were good all four weeks of the month. Now, your lower volume stores will be "food stamp" stores. These stores are surrounded by poorer neighborhoods. Your sales will be good the first week of the month when foodstamps come out, but will drop of significantly the last three weeks of the month. I am going to start a new reply because I know I am running out of space.

63 months ago

Part 2
I assume if you get a job, you will run vacation routes. They don't make commission, but they don't have the stress of making sales either. Enjoy this time while you learn the tricks of the trade.
Now, when a route comes open, everyone that is eligable can bid on it. By eligable I mean people who have been on their routes for at least one year. The route will go to the person with the highest senority. This will then leave their old route open, and the process begins again. Your first route will probably be less than desirable, but hey, you have your own route now. Trust me, eveyone knows who has the best and worst routes. When I say worst routes, I'm talking crappy grocery stores and you end up having a million convienant stores. People with the best routes usually don't go anywhere, and they've been with Frito for quite a while.
I think I covered everything. Having said that, I have been gone for two years now and things may have changed. So I hope if I have given any misinformation, some of the current Frito Layers out there will write in and correct me.

63 months ago

OK, yes they did say I will be covering other routes in the beginning for guys on vacation and whatever else. I suppose someone doing that stays pretty busy, and I bet it'll take a guy all over the region. But the woman told me I was eligible for VROT during my tenure as an RSA. You tell me that When I'm doing the vacation routes I won't get commission. Was this woman at Frito Lay incorrect when she told me I would?
This woman also told me that next Tuesday would be the only time I'll ever be going with this guy on the truck.
So some guys have to load their own truck....that DOES sound like a drag.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I have heard, and I don't know that it's true, but I heard that Frito Lay has cut salaries of RSA's and RSR's a couple times. Do you know if it's true? Because I will be very honest in saying that I don't think $500 a week, (which is what this woman tells me I'd be making as an RSA), is very much money considering what the job actually is; hard work and long hours. In other cities the same RSA job is making $700 plus each week. I don't really know how the VROT works, but I've read that it usually doesn't amount to much more than 2 or 3 bucks an hour for everything over 40 hours.
Now I know I got all on my high horse about taking a job and wanting to work and all that, and being glad to have any job after having no work for 6 months, but $500 divided by, say, a 50 hour week, is ONLY $10 an hour.... Shoot....I make $9.25 an hour on unemployment! It doesn't sound like a great deal really, and chances are I'll be working even more than 50 hours.
I'm trying to be realistic here, seems like they want to really pick all their candidates apart, then pay them very little if they want them..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.