Union vs Non Union

Comments (22)

jh2056 in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

We went through a Decert this past year. "DO NOT BELIEVE THE BS FROM THE COMPANY". Once the Union is out the Company will have full control over you. Have they started the meetings yet where they bash the Union? If they have, think about all the money they are spending to have those meeting and having management ride with drivers. Non Union Plants and DC's are not a big happy family!

jason4800 in New York, New York

67 months ago

Filce in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: We are currently in the process of being decertified. We have about 4 weeks before we are told we can vote either way. I would like to ask all of those people out there that have worked in non union shops to let me know how many days a week you work, hours, salary and such. I am trying to gather information. I have been told 2 sides of the story, I would like to find out which side is BSing me the least. I would like to also hear good and bad of either side that you have experince with.

Thanks.

I have worked for Frito Lay as an RSR in New York for the last ten years. The company recently tried to get us to decert the union. I voted against it, we won, and the union stayed.
I'll tell you why I voted against getting rid of the union. I have a brother-in-law who also works for Frito Lay as an RSR in Lorain Ohio. He is non-union. His commission is lower, his base is lower, he gets less vacation. Last 4th of July and Memorial day his boss told him he HAD to go out on his route and detail it the day of the holidays. After he worked he asked about getting paided for the day and he was told "you only detailed a few stops, I can't pay you for that".

My advise to you is don't give up the union.

unhappy rsr in Scottsville, Kentucky

67 months ago

Filce in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: We are currently in the process of being decertified. We have about 4 weeks before we are told we can vote either way. I would like to ask all of those people out there that have worked in non union shops to let me know how many days a week you work, hours, salary and such. I am trying to gather information. I have been told 2 sides of the story, I would like to find out which side is BSing me the least. I would like to also hear good and bad of either side that you have experince with.

Thanks.

IF YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE NOW AND THEN YOU ALL SHOULD NOT DECERTIFY. I AM A RSR IN NASHVILLE AND EVERY YEAR WE HAVE ROUTE CUTS LESS COMMISSION PERCENTAGE AND WORK MORE HOURS. THIS IS NOT A BIG UNION COUNTRY AROUND HERE AND EVERYONE HERE IS SCARED TO TRY TO GET ONE BUT ALL BIG COMPANIES NEED SOMEONE TO STAND UP TO THEM AND PROTECT THEIR RIGHTS. JUST 3 YEARS AGO THEY CAME IN AND CUT OUR ROUTES FROM 10. 5 % COMMISSION TO 3% WITH A 400 BASE. ITS RIDICULOUS AND WE HAVE HIGHER PRICING THAN ANYONE AND THEY KEEP CLIMBING. AFTER COST OF GOODS KEEP GOING DOWN.NOT TO MENTION EVERY YEAR OUR INSURANCE PREMIUMS RISEAND COVERAGE GOES DOWN. I DONT KNOW IF YOU ALL WORK HOLIDAYS BUT IN NON UNION YOU MUST WORK EVERY HOLIDAY EXEPT CHRISTMAS AND IF WALMART EVER DECIDES TO OPEN THEN THOSE RSRS WILL BE WORKING AS WELL. THEY TALK ALL OF THIS STUFF ABOUT BETTER FAMILY LIFE ITS BS. YOU WORK TWICE AS HARD FOR LESS MONEY AND DOUBLE THE HOURS. I JUST HOPE YOU ALL THINK IT THROUGH GOOD BECAUSE WHAT EVER UNION DUES YOU PAY NOW ARE WORTH VERY PENNY WHEN YOU FIGURE WHAT ITS GOING TO COST YOU TO BE NON UNION.

unhappy rsr in Tennessee

67 months ago

HEY EVERYONE JUST WANTED TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE COMMENTS I LEFT 13 DAYS AGO THEY ARE NOT FACTS OR TRUE COMMENTS. I WAS HAVING A BAD TURN OF EVENTS AND WAS VENTING MY FRUSTRATION OUT THE WRONG WAY. I HOPE THOSE COMMENTS DONT INFLUENCE THE WAY YOU DECIDE YOUR VOTE. OVERALL FRITO LAY AND PEPSICO ARE A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR . ESPECIALLY IN THIS DAY AND TIME YOU DONT FIND MANY COMPANIES OFFERING WHAT BENEFITS WE DO HAVE. STOCK OPTIONS AND SHAREPOWER, 401 K MATCH, OVERALL GOOD BENEFITS. I KNOW EVERYONE HAS BAD DAYS WHEN THEY HATE THERE JOB BUT TRUST ME I HAVE SEARCHED FOR JOBS ALL OVER AND I CANT FIND ANYONE WHO OFFERS THE BENEFITS WE HAVE. LET ME GIVE YOU SOME TRUE FACTS ABOUT NASHVILLE ZONE. WE ARE NON UNION ZONE. WE GOT SAME BENFIT PACKAGE EVERYONE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY IS OFFERED. WE GET THE SAME SHAREPOWER EVERYONE ELSE GET, WE GET 10 SICK DAYS A YEAR, HOLIDAY PAY FOR 6 DAYS, V-ROT AFTER 40 HOURS, WE GET ALL THIS AND MORE WITHOUT PAYING UNION DUES. AGAIN IM SORRY FOR THE COMMENTS IN THE PAST I HOPE YOU WILL MAKE THE DECISION YOU FEEL WILL BENEFIT YOU AND NOT ON WHAT I HAVE SAID IN MY PAST COMMENTS.

67 months ago

unhappy rsr in Tennessee said: HEY EVERYONE JUST WANTED TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE COMMENTS I LEFT 13 DAYS AGO THEY ARE NOT FACTS OR TRUE COMMENTS. I WAS HAVING A BAD TURN OF EVENTS AND WAS VENTING MY FRUSTRATION OUT THE WRONG WAY. I HOPE THOSE COMMENTS DONT INFLUENCE THE WAY YOU DECIDE YOUR VOTE. OVERALL FRITO LAY AND PEPSICO ARE A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR . ESPECIALLY IN THIS DAY AND TIME YOU DONT FIND MANY COMPANIES OFFERING WHAT BENEFITS WE DO HAVE. STOCK OPTIONS AND SHAREPOWER, 401 K MATCH, OVERALL GOOD BENEFITS. I KNOW EVERYONE HAS BAD DAYS WHEN THEY HATE THERE JOB BUT TRUST ME I HAVE SEARCHED FOR JOBS ALL OVER AND I CANT FIND ANYONE WHO OFFERS THE BENEFITS WE HAVE. LET ME GIVE YOU SOME TRUE FACTS ABOUT NASHVILLE ZONE. WE ARE NON UNION ZONE. WE GOT SAME BENFIT PACKAGE EVERYONE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY IS OFFERED. WE GET THE SAME SHAREPOWER EVERYONE ELSE GET, WE GET 10 SICK DAYS A YEAR, HOLIDAY PAY FOR 6 DAYS, V-ROT AFTER 40 HOURS, WE GET ALL THIS AND MORE WITHOUT PAYING UNION DUES. AGAIN IM SORRY FOR THE COMMENTS IN THE PAST I HOPE YOU WILL MAKE THE DECISION YOU FEEL WILL BENEFIT YOU AND NOT ON WHAT I HAVE SAID IN MY PAST COMMENTS.

Talking out of both sides of your mouth, you must be a Frito Lay Manager. As for the benefits, they are the lowest plans that any large Corp. offers their employees. Frito Lay controls every part of your life when you are non union. First impressions are usually the truth, just sad that someone got to you and made you post again.

doritolover77 in Tacoma, Washington

67 months ago

Actually I don't think that this guy is talking out of both sides of his mouth. It doesn't appear to be the same guy. Hey Pittsburgh brothers and sisters: Do you have this posted on your Union board in any of your facilities? If so it is more likely than not that one of the many outside hr or outside managers is do this to influence your vote. The fact here is that you guys have a big decision to make in regards to remaining Union or non-union. We went through the process and lost a very close election. The Company overwhelmed our facilities with outside managers and forced us to attend their propaganda meetings on going "union-free". The fact is that a lot of us wish that we would have stayed Union. It's not that we dislike Frito-Lay or our jobs. It's just that with the Union we had a voice we had an opportunity every three years to negotiate a new contract. The "round tables" are nothing close to what we had no matter what they try to convince you of in your neck of the woods. A lot of us fell for the Company's propaganda. Maybe it was a case of the grass being greener on the other side. Some of you in Pittsburgh may be feeling the same way right now. All's I can say is that a Company handbook will never be equal to what we had with our contract. The same can be said your you in Pittsburgh or anywhere else. Don't fall for the BS. Vote to keep your Union in place and demand a great contract. If they love you so much it shouldn't matter if you are Union or non-Union. They can always work with you and your Union and show their love for you in a strong Union contract. If they are not willing to do that then their words are hollow and disingenuous. If they are not willing to do that then you will know that they are the one that benefits from a decert. after all I'm sure they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for this effort just like they did in our neck of the woods. Why would they do this if it didn't benefit them? Best wishes to all of you.

67 months ago

Hey guys sorry for the writing mistakes on my last post. It's been a long day and I am tired.:) Good luck to all of you.

67 months ago

doritolover77 in Tacoma, Washington said: Actually I don't think that this guy is talking out of both sides of his mouth. It doesn't appear to be the same guy. Hey Pittsburgh brothers and sisters: Do you have this posted on your Union board in any of your facilities? If so it is more likely than not that one of the many outside hr or outside managers is do this to influence your vote. The fact here is that you guys have a big decision to make in regards to remaining Union or non-union. We went through the process and lost a very close election. The Company overwhelmed our facilities with outside managers and forced us to attend their propaganda meetings on going "union-free". The fact is that a lot of us wish that we would have stayed Union. It's not that we dislike Frito-Lay or our jobs. It's just that with the Union we had a voice we had an opportunity every three years to negotiate a new contract. The "round tables" are nothing close to what we had no matter what they try to convince you of in your neck of the woods. A lot of us fell for the Company's propaganda. Maybe it was a case of the grass being greener on the other side. Some of you in Pittsburgh may be feeling the same way right now. All's I can say is that a Company handbook will never be equal to what we had with our contract. The same can be said your you in Pittsburgh or anywhere else. Don't fall for the BS. Vote to keep your Union in place and demand a great contract. If they love you so much it shouldn't matter if you are Union or non-Union. They can always work with you and your Union and show their love for you in a strong Union contract. If they are not willing to do that then their words are hollow and disingenuous. If they are not willing to do that then you will know that they are the one that benefits from a decert. after all I'm sure they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for this effort just like they did in our neck of the woods. Why would they do this if it didn't benefit

67 months ago

Hey jh2056: Do you see what I am talking about? One is Scottsville, Kentucky and the other is from Tennessee. It's not the same person. I bet this blog has been printed and placed on the union board at one of the shops and then one of the managers or hr goons, seeing this blog, has created a bogus screen name to make the Pittsburgh guys think that this guy had a change of heart. One way or another it's bogus. Brothers and Sisters: Don't fall for their nonsense and BS. You have more job protections than any non-union employee and that includes the out of towner managers and hr guys that came in to try to convince you to go non-union. Their script is the same everywhere. Force you to go to meetings, force their way onto your trucks, wear you down slowly and then try to convince you that they love you with a gourmet dinner two days before the election. Have they done that in Pittsburgh? Did the CEO visit you at your dinner? He came up to see us in Seattle.

efffrito in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

We finished our vote and the total was 98 - 72 for the union. I think most people realized that if Frito was willing to spend the amount of money they did to try to get the union decertified it was obvious that they were going to gain somewhere. When the final vote count was read the managers all scurried out of the room and went out to the parking lot there they were consoling each other some were even crying. My thought is if you’re that invested in something that you cry when it is over and you don't win, you obviously had something to gain. We had the Steak dinners and fancy linen breakfast in one case, and Randy Melville gave a speech about how we had a great leadership team and our ZSL told us how he was a trustworthy straight shooter multiple times and proceeded to tell us how we deserved better then the union we had. Frito said they wanted a frank and honest discussion about the facts but it became apparent that the only facts they were interested in were the ones that they picked and then they twisted them in a way to make them look like the union free was better. When they compared our pay they had the audacity to use comparables from a facility with a much higher standard of living, even though the Pittsburgh’s non Union bins had lower rates. Then they compared our RRIC structure from under the contract which guaranties earnings until you 90% pre cut earnings no matter how long that takes and presented it next to their policy with fixed costs like it was a better set up. I know if my route is cut more then 30% I think more then 52 weeks of RRIC is needed to maintain my standard of living. They pointed out how bulk swings could expect 16000 pay increases but after the meeting they made numerous mentions of Super Bulk coming to Pittsburgh so how many routes will be affected by that, and how many swings will have to become merchandisers when that comes about. I'm glad that 97 of my brothers saw that though our union isn't perfect at least it is OUR union.

efffrito in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I hope the St. Louis Teamsters look real hard at the bill of goods that Frito is trying to sell. Ask yourself why would a business spend millions of dollars to fly people in, put them up in hotels, buy us all these meals, fix all of the problems with our trucks at the end of the year( when we're usually on contingency), buy new appliances for our facilities, and treat us like human beings for five weeks. If they didn't see an opportunity to make more money and have more control.

My advice for my brothers in St. Louis, enjoy it while it lasts it will end the day after the vote ( for the record I was treated better for the last 5 weeks then any other point during my tenure at Frito).

And then for your own sake KEEP THE UNION, if the union has problems make them fix it. It is your union, the officers are voted on and can be replaced if your not happy with them, but don't let Frito convince you your better off with out them because your not.

67 months ago

Congratulations efffrito in Pittsburgh, PA!!! Congratulations to all of our brothers and sisters in Pittsburgh!!! Efffrito, you are absolutely right. If you have issues with your Union talk to your BA about those concerns moving forward. You guys are the Union and I think that you can accomplish a lot going forward if you never forget that. Just remember that nearly one hundred of you stood up to a multibillion dollar Company and won. Even when the Company poured dozens of managers from all over the country onto your trucks and facilities... You had the power. Even with all of the money and resources that they spent to get what they wanted... You had the power. Even when the odds seemed insurmountable... You had the power and you still have that power today. Never forget that. Stand together in solidarity and go get yourselves a contract!!! Good luck to all of you.

fritoal in Livonia, Michigan

65 months ago

KEEP THE UNION OR YOU'LL BE REAL SORRY, THEY CAN BE FIXED FOR YOUR BENEFIT NOT THE COMPANIES!!!!!

jb473 in grand rapids, Michigan

62 months ago

unhappy rsr in Scottsville, Kentucky said: IF YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE NOW AND THEN YOU ALL SHOULD NOT DECERTIFY. I AM A RSR IN NASHVILLE AND EVERY YEAR WE HAVE ROUTE CUTS LESS COMMISSION PERCENTAGE AND WORK MORE HOURS. THIS IS NOT A BIG UNION COUNTRY AROUND HERE AND EVERYONE HERE IS SCARED TO TRY TO GET ONE BUT ALL BIG COMPANIES NEED SOMEONE TO STAND UP TO THEM AND PROTECT THEIR RIGHTS. JUST 3 YEARS AGO THEY CAME IN AND CUT OUR ROUTES FROM 10. 5 % COMMISSION TO 3% WITH A 400 BASE. ITS RIDICULOUS AND WE HAVE HIGHER PRICING THAN ANYONE AND THEY KEEP CLIMBING. AFTER COST OF GOODS KEEP GOING DOWN.NOT TO MENTION EVERY YEAR OUR INSURANCE PREMIUMS RISEAND COVERAGE GOES DOWN. I DONT KNOW IF YOU ALL WORK HOLIDAYS BUT IN NON UNION YOU MUST WORK EVERY HOLIDAY EXEPT CHRISTMAS AND IF WALMART EVER DECIDES TO OPEN THEN THOSE RSRS WILL BE WORKING AS WELL. THEY TALK ALL OF THIS STUFF ABOUT BETTER FAMILY LIFE ITS BS. YOU WORK TWICE AS HARD FOR LESS MONEY AND DOUBLE THE HOURS. I JUST HOPE YOU ALL THINK IT THROUGH GOOD BECAUSE WHAT EVER UNION DUES YOU PAY NOW ARE WORTH VERY PENNY WHEN YOU FIGURE WHAT ITS GOING TO COST YOU TO BE NON UNION.

I am an rsr out of the grand rapids zone, we are thinking of getting a union and would like to know how to start. frito is cutting our routes and pay and we are threatened on a weekly basis about being fired if we don't hit our numbers or if they find any stale in the market. we have had rsr get wrote up for slipping on ice or having been hit by a cart for gods sake.some of our rsr's and extras have to step down to merchandising positions or loose their jobs. we use to love our jobs but now they try to control every aspect of our jobs. they sit in their office thinking they know how we should run our routes. Instead of just letting us run them as we see fit. we know what sells they don't that's why our numbers are down. if they would shut their mouth and let us do our job our numbers would come up. so we think a union would benefit

jason4800 in New York, New York

62 months ago

jb473 in grand rapids, Michigan said: I am an rsr out of the grand rapids zone, we are thinking of getting a union and would like to know how to start. frito is cutting our routes and pay and we are threatened on a weekly basis about being fired if we don't hit our numbers or if they find any stale in the market. we have had rsr get wrote up for slipping on ice or having been hit by a cart for gods sake.some of our rsr's and extras have to step down to merchandising positions or loose their jobs. we use to love our jobs but now they try to control every aspect of our jobs. they sit in their office thinking they know how we should run our routes. Instead of just letting us run them as we see fit. we know what sells they don't that's why our numbers are down. if they would shut their mouth and let us do our job our numbers would come up. so we think a union would benefit

RSR in Michigan...if you are serious about joining a union follow the following link....
teamsters406.org/contactus.html

52 months ago

The Cranberry, Pa. Frito Lay employees voted out the Teamsters on Feb.4th. 2011. The Company made many promises to the employees. $13,000.00 raise if they remove the Union. Lets see if they keep the promises. Funny how after the vote was announced there was hugs and back slapping going on by their management team that was there in force. Was they celebrating because they just helped their employees improve their standard of life? There is a video of the Management team on Youtube, I will post it later, you be the judge on why they are so happy.

terriblet in Portland, Oregon

50 months ago

you'll be sorry after the union is gone.
Don't believe all the bs the management told you during the the deset.
FYI.I went from ring of honor nominee to unexceptatle and now unemployed..........but sueing.............all i can say is you..be.sorry

Texas in Humble, Texas

39 months ago

Thanks.

I need information on how to contact the union here in texas can anyone help????

Texas in Humble, Texas

39 months ago

I need Help from my fellow RSR's in contact the Union !! I am based in Texas???? Any and all information would be helpful????

jb473 in grand rapids, Michigan

38 months ago

do not decertify we are not union they came in and cut all our routes and commission we lost thousands off dollars in pay

ScabMinion in Vestal, New York

28 months ago

terriblet in Portland, Oregon said: you'll be sorry after the union is gone.
Don't believe all the bs the management told you during the the deset.
FYI.I went from ring of honor nominee to unexceptatle and now unemployed..........but sueing.............all i can say is you..be.sorry
If you even mention the word Union in Kirkwood it sets off a general panic alarm and you can be sure at the next meeting your TM will make you watch a video and give a convincing speech about how you don't need to be represented or have your share of the pie. GO UNION, stay UNION. If you want to open another can of worms then start a discussion on Sedgwick (SedgThugs), they make sure it is incredibly difficult to get payed while you are out of work. Just look it up online, you will find out how insidious they are.

1Appaloosa in Michigan

3 months ago

Quit your bitching!! I work in a union Frito Lay facility where our commission is JUST 2.25% with $195 as our base. Suck it up buttercup and enjoy all that $$ you're making. Yeah, the union really helped us out, didn't they? I've been at Frito Lay for over 10 years, it's been unionized for 20 something years or longer. When I started working there we were getting 3% commission with a $475 base. With every contract renewal we've lost pay and paid more for our "benefits". Now it's down to 2.25% and $195 base with DOUBLE the amount of stores in large format and working double the hours. Thank God for DOT regs, otherwise I'd be out longer than 14 hours. Yeah, unions sound pretty amazing, don't they??

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.