Farmers Insurance Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Farmers Insurance?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

seattle in Muskego, Wisconsin

115 months ago

I recently did an interview with Farmers. Its not that big of a deal. One thing to note before you interview with them as an agent is to look at what they are looking for.
First of all - they have the most agents of all insurance companies. Farmers has like 20,000. All State, State Farm, etc have about 5000. As you can tell this is a big difference. As long as you have some personality to you, they will probably hire you. Lastly - this will be a 1099 Commission Only position until you enter the career program. So they lose nothing by bringing you on and seeing if you got what it takes to succeed.
With that said, you would be better off interviewing them to see if they are the people you want to work with. Here is a list of question obtained from www.farmers-online.com that you should ask the District Manager that you are interviewing with...

1) How much money can I expect to make per year in years 1-5 if i were to do this full time?
2) How much money should I expect to invest including all expenses in my first 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months?
3) How much will my office expense be in my first 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months?
4) What is the failure rate of Reserve Agents in your district? Or how many of them graduate to be a Career Agent?
5) How many Career Agents graduate to become a Full Time Agent?
6) What is the Average Career Agent commission payout in your district per year?
7) What is the average Full Time Agent Commission earned per year?
8) How many average "Policies" are there per agent?
9) What is the average amount of premium per policy?
10) What new business commissions will I paid for each type of policy? Auto, Fire, Home, Term/Whole/Universal/Variable Universal Life?
11) What residual or renewal commissions will I paid for each type of policy? Auto, Fire, Home, Term/Whole/Universal/Variable Universal Life?
For what reasons can my career agent contract be cancelled

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Inertia in San Francisco, California

86 months ago

Hi,
I just started with Farmers as a reserve agent about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience have been great. My DM is very supportive and genuine, doesn't seem like someone that will use scare tactics to get sales out of me.

I know that we have to met a quarterly quota of 40 policies and 4 life policies. My question is, how long does this quota rule last? 2 years? 3 years? or for as long as I work as an agent I will have to meet this quota?

And lets say I miss my quota by one or two policy, does that mean they will fire me and take my book of business that is apparently MY book of business?

Please help with answering if you can! I can't seem to get a straight answer from other farmer's agent because apparently contracts change all the time.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Denver, Colorado

67 months ago

Run-do'nt walk run away now

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mikenbear in Oakland, California

63 months ago

I would be interested in hearing what you think of farmers now that it's been 22 months since your original post. How difficult has it been during this economy to make The 40/4 quota?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Canyon Country, California

51 months ago

Inertia in San Francisco, California said: Hi,
I just started with Farmers as a reserve agent about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience have been great. My DM is very supportive and genuine, doesn't seem like someone that will use scare tactics to get sales out of me.

I know that we have to met a quarterly quota of 40 policies and 4 life policies. My question is, how long does this quota rule last? 2 years? 3 years? or for as long as I work as an agent I will have to meet this quota?

And lets say I miss my quota by one or two policy, does that mean they will fire me and take my book of business that is apparently MY book of business?

Please help with answering if you can! I can't seem to get a straight answer from other farmer's agent because apparently contracts change all the time.

Thank you.

I was wondering if you ever got the answer to your question, i was just interview with farmers to became a reserve agent for the time and i have the same question you had then.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Canyon Country, California

51 months ago

Thanks Guys this will help!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Canyon Country, California

51 months ago

Guys I been reading lots of rumors about becoming a farmers agent and most of it are bad, now I am very worry and just today I summited the applications for the background check. Can you guys tell me if all the rumors about farmers been way over price, and most commercial business are declined by the company, also what is the commission percentage that you guys get or if you know what is the percentage in California??? I am so stress about it now!!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Call me Tommy in Brea, California

51 months ago

Cristina in Canyon Country, California said: Guys I been reading lots of rumors about becoming a farmers agent and most of it are bad, now I am very worry and just today I summited the applications for the background check. Can you guys tell me if all the rumors about farmers been way over price, and most commercial business are declined by the company, also what is the commission percentage that you guys get or if you know what is the percentage in California??? I am so stress about it now!!!!

Just a little bit of info. Im currently a career agent with Farmers who just went career 2 months ago. The job is hard and there is a lot of work, but the money is decent if you can do it. The average annual commision for an auto policy is $100 a year and homeowners ~$150ish. You get paid the 10% for auto up front for the year/6months and the 20% for the fire policy too. Life varies with the premium paid monthly but it's usually 45-55% (depending on the product) for the first year of premiums paid and then it goes down to about 2-3% after that. I just recently stepped into the realm of commercial yet but told that its decent, and as long as you quote,quote, quote insurance it has been shown that you will close ~25% regardless. This info hasn't been jammed down my throat; everytime I see a sucessful agent in our district office I take em aside and pick their brain and they all say the same thing when it comes to commercial regarding the previous 25%.

Here's my two cents on Farmers pricing. Any Stand-alone policy mmeaning you only write JUST auto or fire then 'usually' Farmers is overpriced compared to our competitors. If they fall within one of our affinity groups which gives an additional 12-18% off then Farmers becomes decently competative.

If you write multiple lines for 1 household 'without' the affinity then Farmers is decently competative. If you write multi-lines for a household with affinity discount Farmers usually wins in price.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Canyon Country, California

51 months ago

Tommy Thanks for the info, do you think you made a good desicion by beacoming an agent with farmers?? how many hours you say you work a week??? I am not scared of the hard work since I been in the insurance bussines for over 6 years in Texas, but I am new to California and because I know how hard this bussines is,is that I am so concernd of all the things people is saying about Farmers!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

John W in Phoenix, Arizona

48 months ago

Cristina in Canyon Country, California said: I was wondering if you ever got the answer to your question, i was just interview with farmers to became a reserve agent for the time and i have the same question you had then.

I am an agent with Farmers and know many others in other states and if any of you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me as I would be happy to tell you about all the ups and downs as mentioned in all the prior posts. You can reach my office. Just visit my website for contact information www.farmersagent.com/jwallace3 as this system won't allow me to post my phone number directly

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

kahfetka in Mission Viejo, California

47 months ago

Call me Tommy in Brea, California said: Just a little bit of info. Im currently a career agent with Farmers who just went career 2 months ago. The job is hard and there is a lot of work, but the money is decent if you can do it. The average annual commision for an auto policy is $100 a year and homeowners ~$150ish. You get paid the 10% for auto up front for the year/6months and the 20% for the fire policy too. Life varies with the premium paid monthly but it's usually 45-55% (depending on the product) for the first year of premiums paid and then it goes down to about 2-3% after that. I just recently stepped into the realm of commercial yet but told that its decent, and as long as you quote,quote, quote insurance it has been shown that you will close ~25% regardless. This info hasn't been jammed down my throat; everytime I see a sucessful agent in our district office I take em aside and pick their brain and they all say the same thing when it comes to commercial regarding the previous 25%.

Here's my two cents on Farmers pricing. Any Stand-alone policy mmeaning you only write JUST auto or fire then 'usually' Farmers is overpriced compared to our competitors. If they fall within one of our affinity groups which gives an additional 12-18% off then Farmers becomes decently competative.

If you write multiple lines for 1 household 'without' the affinity then Farmers is decently competative. If you write multi-lines for a household with affinity discount Farmers usually wins in price.

Great info Tommy, and thank you for the post but I need an advise.I'm planning to join Farmers I already have my licenses but no experience in the industry.I would love to have my own business, work hard and make money.Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

heidibertero in Davis, California

46 months ago

Thanks to all of you! in all states for your Farmers Insurance IA and DM information!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

heidibertero in Davis, California

46 months ago

Inertia in San Francisco, California said: Hi,
I just started with Farmers as a reserve agent about 2 weeks ago and so far my experience have been great. My DM is very supportive and genuine, doesn't seem like someone that will use scare tactics to get sales out of me.

I know that we have to met a quarterly quota of 40 policies and 4 life policies. My question is, how long does this quota rule last? 2 years? 3 years? or for as long as I work as an agent I will have to meet this quota?

Answer: I had asked this question to my DM and he told me if you eg: March 12, April 15, May 12, then you get 39/0 instead of 40/4 then you start over with them eliminating the count for March 12, but still you would receive March commission. Your 3 month trial Reserve agent starts at April 15, May 12, June you would need to get 13/4. This can be reinstated up to one year.
Hope you understand and that I have explained it correctly. - Heidi

And lets say I miss my quota by one or two policy, does that mean they will fire me and take my book of business that is apparently MY book of business?

Please help with answering if you can! I can't seem to get a straight answer from other farmer's agent because apparently contracts change all the time.

Thank you.

And lets say I miss my quota by one or two policy, does that mean they will fire me and take my book of business that is apparently MY book of business?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

heidibertero in Davis, California

46 months ago

I am not sure how you could "buy" leads? Can you explain this? I would think you could purchase an establised binder from a fellow retiring agent. Is this what you mean?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

iceman982004 in Chesterfield, Missouri

46 months ago

@heidi bertero
There are many third party companies that sell insurance leads out there and from what i have been told a lot of agents use them

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Landing Strip in Cordova, Tennessee

42 months ago

Heidi Bertero in Davis, California said: I am not sure how you could "buy" leads? Can you explain this? I would think you could purchase an establised binder from a fellow retiring agent. Is this what you mean?

Dataman leads are very good, have proven to be the most successful for me.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Donnamartinez in El Paso, Texas

38 months ago

Hello I also just signed a reserve agent contract I do see a lot of ppl saying that farmers is bad and that it's the worst place to start a business.. And that when u start ur book of business they will keep everything that in reality is not ur book even though u worked ur ass off.... I know for sure that if u don't make the subsidy goals u will need to pay then back but is farmers really that bad that they only care about themselves

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

coby in Dulles, Virginia

37 months ago

Q: “I want to sell insurance as an independent agent because I want to increase my income. What can I reasonably expect as a salary and are there any caps on how much I can earn?”

A: An average Farmers independent insurance agent makes $11,000 per month. The tenure is between 5-20 years. New agents are expected to make $120k by year 4.

•1st year average: $40k
•2nd year average: $70K
•3rd year average: $105k
•4th year average: $120k

Is this true for anyone???

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Pablo P in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

thanks for all the insights......

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

brain_thereferralservicellc in Newark, Delaware

37 months ago

coby in Dulles, Virginia said: Q: “I want to sell insurance as an independent agent because I want to increase my income. What can I reasonably expect as a salary and are there any caps on how much I can earn?”

A: An average Farmers independent insurance agent makes $11,000 per month. The tenure is between 5-20 years. New agents are expected to make $120k by year 4.

•1st year average: $40k
•2nd year average: $70K
•3rd year average: $105k
•4th year average: $120k

Is this true for anyone???

Can anyone confirm these numvers and how much help or support with lead generation does farmers give?

I have interviewd with statefarm, allstate, new york life, bankers life, and now farmers. They are have different compensation structures and long interview process.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rdlc87 in Austin, Texas

19 months ago

Hey folks, was contacted today for an opportunity in this field. Sounds intriguing since your policy contracts should compound year over year and continue to be paid on old ones as well as the new. I'm currently in software implementation, travel 50-75% so having my own office and not be required to travel would definitely be a bonus. I've looked at glass door and see the average salary per agent ranges from 40k-75k...I'm hoping that this isn't true, as the person I was contacted by says there are agents averaging 50-60k that are in/or around the 30% quartile. I know there are more over-head expenses that come off your bottom line vs. a traditional job, but is the longterm possible income truly 300k if you are successful as I'm being told as you get further on down the line in your career?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kahfetka in Lake Forest, California

19 months ago

You are not going to make that amount anytime soon, maybe in 10 0r 15 years of consistently build up your nightmare without losing
policies along the way. If you are young enough to deal with only commission income and afford to be unemployed or frustrated, go ahead give it a try and GOOOOOOOOOD Luck!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rdlc87 in Austin, Texas

19 months ago

I don't know if anyone else has found this guy's blog. But check it out... www.farmersinsurancegroupsucks.com/farmersinsurance_agent_employee.htm

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

BJZ in Colorado in Aurora, Colorado

19 months ago

....and yet, I know two agent who WORK for Farmer's and love the job and company. Can we hear from people that
are having good results? I know you are out there. Remember, anything worth having is worth working for.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Secret in Laguna Niguel, California

15 months ago

I interviewed for a marketing position focused on technology at their woodland Hills location. The phone interview was great and very focused on my background and related experience. However, my in-person interview with the hiring manager (VP) had nothing to do with my experience and knowledge,but 30 minutes of generic behavioral questions such as, how do you handle conflicts with the customer? and what is your 5 year plan? if you were an animal, what would you be? What is your weakness and how do you plan on fixing it?, etc., etc. as if she just looked up a site to figure out what kind of questions she should ask. If you want to get a job there, memorize the answers at this site and you got yourself a job:
www.themuse.com/advice/how-to-answer-the-31-most-common-interview-questions

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mc in Martinez, California

8 months ago

Cristina in Canyon Country, California said: Thanks Guys this will help!

Hello Cristina,
Your input regarding farmers ins has been really help thank you.
It's been while since your last post .I just wanted to ask how is it going with farmers have you reached your gaols?
I have an opportunity to become a Farmers agent.
Thanks MC

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Heath Talley in Fort Smith, Arkansas

7 months ago

I am currently employed in my district's office by the DM himself as I take my courses and exams. I have to say that although it is HARD work that requires much effort and strategic planning, this company is a great choice. If you expect a lot of reward for little commitment, this isn't for you, but if you have good work ethic, drive, and a competitive spirit, this is certainly worth looking into.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.