How to get a job at Fastenal.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Do you work at Fastenal? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

soon to be former employee in Fort Wayne, Indiana

88 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Fastenal? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

RUN LIKE HELL!!!! The company says that the empoyees are the backbone of the company, but every opportunity they get to take a little and take a little more they will. They expect the employees to run through walls for them, but keeping putting up bigger walls...!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Careful Who You Work For in Park Forest, Illinois

82 months ago

To answer newyorknewyorknewyork, you gain access to a dodge pickup truck. The truck is only provided during business hours.

As for the original post:

As the others have said:

Stay away. Stay far away. This is a bad company that almost borders on being a scam. They will fill your head with all this garbage about decentralized thinking and how they want you succeed.

The truth is, they want you to be stupid, snitch on your coworkers, and keep your lips firmly placed on the buttocks of your District Manager. If you do not fit this bill, you will not make it far in this company.

If somehow you do make it far, you might be promoted to General Manager. Guess what? It's worse. Now you're the one the DM throws under the bus when things go south. Corporate is so incredibly dim-witted that they fail to notice that this same DM has thrown over half of his GMs under the bus in under a year. Regardless of whether coporate is blind, stupid, or really could care less, the fact of the matter is that Fastenal will seldom fire you. They don't want to pay the unemployment. What they will do is make you quit. They will demote you, move you to a distant branch, or make things absolutely miserable. One employee I know of was "laid off" and then offered a part-time position. These laws are different in each state, but apparently since he was laid off, but offered another position, he was not able to collect unemployment if he "quit."
I'm not up on the laws enough to confirm that, but it sounds like something they would do.

Anyway, do what you want, but if you have an ounce of dignity or pride in your ability to think rationaly or freely, then this is not the place for you.

BTW-I was demoted due to my hairstyle. I did not have a mohawk or anything, but I didn't slick my hair back with a pound of hair gel either. SO, even though my branch had a record month, this was enough to demote me. Go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

big daddy2 in Alabama

81 months ago

Yeah man I feel you. I set the record for the most sales dollars in my branch at $120,000 but what did that get me? Nothing!! Hey, great month and that was it. 1 month later, I was demoted because I dropped 6 active accounts and did 75,000. WOW!! WTF right? Since it was didnt have another job in line, I had to settle for a part time position and only working 20-30 hrs a week. They will always find a way to screw you if you dont have a great scorecard. I worked there for 2 1/2 years before it finally hit me. Thanks Fastenal for the opportunity to work for a better company, with better benefits and a company vehicle. Also, a credit card for expenses and the chance to actually treat customers to lunch, free items, and even golfing trips, some things that Fastenal doesnt do. What a great company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

fastenal os in Tennessee

80 months ago

Hey Alabama did your experience with fastenal sales even matter to potential employers in the search?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Vonboji in Toms River, New Jersey

54 months ago

What a scam. I was called in to Baltimore for an outside sales position and was told that employees start part time and then go full time eventually....not even a call back even though the gm seemed to be a good guy. Seems like they are looking for cheap labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shanny in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan

6 months ago

big daddy2 in Alabama said: Yeah man I feel you. I set the record for the most sales dollars in my branch at $120,000 but what did that get me? Nothing!! Hey, great month and that was it. 1 month later, I was demoted because I dropped 6 active accounts and did 75,000. WOW!! WTF right? Since it was didnt have another job in line, I had to settle for a part time position and only working 20-30 hrs a week. They will always find a way to screw you if you dont have a great scorecard. I worked there for 2 1/2 years before it finally hit me. Thanks Fastenal for the opportunity to work for a better company, with better benefits and a company vehicle. Also, a credit card for expenses and the chance to actually treat customers to lunch, free items, and even golfing trips, some things that Fastenal doesnt do. What a great company!

$120,00 sales in one month is chump change. You all seem that for doing your job they should be kissing YOUR ass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MRS C. in Indianapolis, Indiana

1 month ago

I WAS GOING TO APPLY FOR A JOB AT FASTENAL. BUT, AFTER READING ALL THE COMMENTS, I FIGURED I WOULD BE BETTER OFF IF I MADE ME A SIGN AND STOOD ON THE EXI
TS ON 465.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.