How to get a job at FedEx Ground.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 140)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Kevin in Knoxville, Tennessee

105 months ago

I have been an employee of UPS and I am now currently employed by FedEx Ground and I personally love it. As with most employers there are going to be positions that are more physically demanding that make you question your sanity for performing the tasks. Pay will vary in different locations through out the nation and the shift worked will be a factor on pay. It is true that there are no additional benefits given to part-time employees as well as the contractors that drive for the company. FedEx Ground/Home Delivery is the branch that you just have to stick it out for a minute and it will grow on you as an employee. With more knowledge of the operation and time put in you will be able to advance. There are some members of management that are about the numbers and only focus is getting the job done, but for every one of those managers there is a manager that actually cares and of course its better if one of those caring managers directly supervises you. As I said in opening I have worked for both major shipping companies and I prefer FedEx. The benefits from UPS were great and the company grabs drivers from within. The benefits and the sometimes distant future promotional opportunities are great but you work HARD for those positives. FedEx overall is a great place to work and in my opinion if you are interested call or drive out to your nearest location and put in an application and get hired. If you are physically able stick with it and you will be rewarded(FedEx Ground Loves Longterm Employees) If you feel its not worth sticking around move on and explore other options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

missyb in Fall Branch, Tennessee

105 months ago

To Kevin in Knoxville: The new Fedex Ground distribution center will be in Kingsport. Is there plenty of opportunity for secretarial help with Fedex Ground?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Knoxville, Tennessee

105 months ago

In reply to missyb looking at your previous post I would probably tell you to apply for a quality assurance agent position & As far as secretarial positions go we do not have many on staff at our location. The QA positions usually begin as part-time and eventually lead to a full-time position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

missyb in Fall Branch, Tennessee

105 months ago

Thanks, Kevin! Good information to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

festus in Mesa, Arizona

105 months ago

David in Detroit, Michigan said: Fedex doesn't care about your time or you. The bottom line is your time is worth nothing unless they say so. Count yourself lucky you didn't waste any more of your time with them.[/QUOT

Being a fedex employee is not for everyone. One must be able to pull his weight, and you are most likely one of them who could not handle his end of the log. Guess you are not man enough for the job, which is common for the hip-hop crowd. Me and my wife both work thee and bring home a very adequate income. You work to get ahead in life, ask anyone who is a real winner. It is the loser who blames others for their lack of ability and competence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

David2 Green in Kissimmee, Florida

105 months ago

Festus in Mesa, Arizona said:

You remind me of alot of people with 2 incomes who always have something to say about anyone who see a company like Fedex in a negative light. I work for Fedex Express for 18 years and had it not been that I have these many years invested I would have quit. It has nothing to do with "hip-Hop crowd" as you put it, it has to do with a company that has lost its focus of "The World On Time" to lets c how much we can put on a courier and make his job miserable. And most people want a better life and anyone who has to brag about being "Man Enough" isn't a man at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Second Vanner in Columbus, Ohio

105 months ago

I need an answer from anyone who has valid information. I was a second van driver for the Columbus Ohio gorund terminal. My contractor released me because the Terminal Manager put some pressure on him due to someone complaining I was tossing boxes in my 26' box truck. Now, when I contacted the Columbus Home Delivery terminal about getting on with a contractor there, they said I was inelghiable for hire due to a forged signature complaint. Come to find out, I got popped for that as well as the tossing boxes. I spoke with my former contractor and he said, that the forgery had nothing to do with the releasing and fedex has no right to qualify me as inelgiable seeing as how I never worked for FEDEX Ground, only for contractors and they can hire who is fit. If there are terminal managers with imput, feel free, contractors, feel free. I think I am going to have to get in contact with Contractor Relations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Second Vanner in Columbus, Ohio

105 months ago

Well, as far as FedEx Ground and Home Delivery. yeah, in order to transfer, just contact the terminal you want to transfer to and set it up. The terminal you are at currently just has to click a button to transfer your CDAS, CDOS file and mail your hardcopy and you can get going

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tim - NH in Nashua, New Hampshire

104 months ago

I'm amazed at the amount of BS on this site. Get some facts.

Each segment of Fedex pays different rates.

Fedex Ground pays package handlers different rates, depending on which shift you work and where your terminal is located.

Contracting for Ground/Home Delivery isn't for everyone. I know contractors who own 4-5 routes, don't drive any of them, and have a good level of take home pay. I also know contractors who own 1 route, but can't make a living driving for themselves. Regardless of your opinion of the Independent Contractor Model that GRD/HD use, it's a business. If you don't have any business sense, aren't a self starter, or just want a paycheck, CONTRACTING ISN'T FOR YOU.

Someone made reference to Ground/HD working their contractors too hard. Maybe thats a result of the explosive growth that Ground/HD experiences year over year. Express can say what they want (and I don't have any negative thoughts about them), but the fact is this: Ground/Home Delivery is growing every year, Express is not. Regardless, if you own the contract and you are getting paid more for doing more work, isn't it in the best interest of your business to work harder?

And to all the Haters out there, if Fedex is such a lousy company to work for, why has it been ranked in the top 5 for most admired companies to work for every year for the last 5+ years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

You can say what you want about growth at Fedex Ground and Home Delivery but its only because most of the employees are contracted workers with low pay (and it is low pay)and no benefits,so don't say how great it is to work there! As for Fedex Express they are the only part of Fedex with great pay and benefits and it is to bad they are not growing like the rest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Joe in Greenville, Wisconsin said: I started out as a package handler for FedEx ground, and it was one of the best jobs I've had.. Then I went for a temp driver position, and now I fill in for contractors while I'm trying to get on at Express, still no complaints other than the morons who don't put numbers on their house..

Sure, they actually expect you to WORK, but when I was working two jobs as a package handler and a walmart "associate", I made just as much money working at FedEx as I did at walmart, and I had the whole afternoon and most of the morning to do what I wanted to do, I also had weekends off.. That's not a bad deal for someone just starting out or a college student looking to make a little money on the side..

Contractors aren't paid a set amount, they're paid by the package/stop/route - The more packages/stops you take, the more money you'll make.. If you plan out your route well, you won't actually work all that much, but it requires a little brain power on your part to pull it off

Those who are complaining don't know how good they have it, being a package handler won't get you a $50,000/year salary with full benefits, but it'll get you started toward that goal

What goal is that? These jobs for the most part are full time jobs so you should expect to get something out of it,the company does or they wouldn't be in business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

102 months ago

Beth in Willisburg, Kentucky said: Hello,

I applied with Fed Ex before without any luck. However, here is a story I wish to share with you?

I interviewed at United Parcel Service (UPS) once.
Halfway through the interview, which was going well, the interviewer suddenly began verbally attacking me and questioning gaps in my employment, my military service and much more. I was astounded by his sudden change in character and I walked out of the interview!

MAYBE HE WAS SERIOUSLY BI-POLAR INSTEAD!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

edwardhamilton in Oakdale, Pennsylvania

100 months ago

Ok, FedEx Ground is a great company to work in. I have a lot of fun working there, and most of the people there are great to be around. I've only been there for about two and a half months, and I already know how to do like everything.

The way benefits were explained to me is for $50.00 a month (out of my check), I could receive benefits. So somewhere along the line benefits are available. How to sign up for them, Not sure.

My wages go like this, and this is company wide, no matter where you go, I know this because I know several people that have worked for FedEx Ground and they all told me the same thing that I have.

Staring out: $9.40 per hour
After 3 months: $9.90 per hour
After the first year: $10.40 per hour
Each calendar year after: $0.50 added to your current hourly wage.

I guess that everyones experience working for FedEx will be different, however my opinion on FedEx is its a great company to work for. Everyone I know that works there likes it, and has or had fun while working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jayd in Stonewall, Manitoba

100 months ago

Fedex Ground is a great place to work!! Again as a contractor u get paid for deliver and pick up. As far as benefits u do not get them but when u gross 98k a yr benefits a good write off for your business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

da9125 in Indiana

100 months ago

Can anyone tell me anything about FEDEX Smartpost? Is it part of Fedex Ground, Express, or it's own division? I've been offered an interview and would like to get some background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

FedEx SmartPost is its own division of FedEx. Its basically where FedEx handles packages and such from USPS. Basically FedEx is doing the Post offices dirty work for them, a lot faster shipping times and easier for the post office... Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Allstar in Absecon, New Jersey

99 months ago

Yes, I have a few questions. How much does fed ex pay an hour for starters? Are full benifits included? How can I get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

To start out, FedEx Ground pays $9.40 /Hr

No, benefits not included, You have to sign up for them through your HRWebsite that is provided to you at orientation.

Goto your local FedEx warehouse, terminal, hub, etc. and apply in person, they prefer that i guess over online applications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jenniferzamora in melrose park, Illinois

99 months ago

i just wanto to work to pay my own education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jenniferzamora in melrose park, Illinois

99 months ago

Host said: Do you work at FedEx Ground? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

can i please have help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

starmode6 in Clarkston, Michigan

99 months ago

This is my take on my facility. I work at the new Ground/Home satellite in Orion Township, MI (the company still calls it Pontiac even though it is not in Pontiac).
I have been an outbound package handler for 7 months now and really enjoy it. The pay here starts off at $9.80/hour and after 30 days goes up to $10.30/hour. I know it goes even further from there if you have been there for a year but I am not sure what that is. There are no benefits for package handlers, and why should there be it is only a part time job. If you want to be a driver then FedEx Ground is not the way to go. It is not worth it one bit. After working for 6 months you are eligible to apply for other positions in the company. I have an interview for a part time position with full time benefits coming up and this position can be a spring board to higher positions. The work is tough, very tough. I hated the job for the first 2 months I was there but in my third month once my body got used to the work, and I lost 30 pounds I began to really enjoy the place. The managers have all been package handlers and know what it is like. The long-term package handlers (people who have been there for more than 6 months) are all great. The problem is that the turnover is bad. Everyone who comes in underestimates the job. It is tough, tougher than you can imagine. The people who are just looking for an easy part time job need not even bother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

Does your facility have an OTP sort? Which would run from 10:30 P.M. to 2:30 A.M.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

no it does not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

gatorfanatic in Orange Park, Florida

99 months ago

I've seen a couple opportunities in my town and looking to apply. This would obviously be a career change for me but I'm looking to do something different. Is there anything they like to see in particular for your work history or resume?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

It depends on the position you are going for. Shipping is a plus but not a must. I just now trying for an Administrative Clerk which requires only 1 year of administrative experience. Things are always opening up if you see something that interests you go for it. Sometimes they will hire someone if even if they don't have the full qualification. Like my manager has no degree but they require a degree for any manager position. Keep an eye out, I know that there are 2 Administrative Clerk positions opening up in Florida soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

By the way, if you are worried about whether or not FedEx are good to work for or not they are number 97 on the Forbes 100 Best Companies to Work For list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

luisa. C. REAGAN in San Francisco, California

99 months ago

Host said: Do you work at FedEx Ground? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I waited for getting an answer, almost lost the plug..... thanks for remenbering my question.....in San francisco for instance. as a receptionnist.... criteria and salary. And by the way i love your way to writte it sthraight. LUISA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ted

98 months ago

Hello everyone,
I am looking to buy a fedex route. I wanted to know the pros and cons for the ground route. What kind of expenses are expected? How much they reimburse for gas, maintenance or anything else? What kind of bonuses do they give out? Does fedex require to change vehicle on certain mileage? Do they regulate contractors for hiring drivers, etc?
I see alot of contractors selling their route, seems like there is a reason so many are for sale. Any other info will greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

embrown in Jacksonville, Florida

98 months ago

Can anyone fill me in on the training process for FedEx Ground? Particularly if you are going to work for a third-party delivery company and were hired by a temp service (such as Kelly Services) and they run the training.

Are you trained to drive a FedEx truck or van? Are you trained to drive any other type of vehicle? Are you paid by FedEx or the delivery company?

Input from everywhere, but especially Florida, would be very helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

patmcc in Ripon, California

97 months ago

There will always be complainers in life, these people are life’s losers. Sometimes it’s hard to separate fact from fiction so here is something FACTUAL to base how well FedEx is: Fortune 100 best companies to work for 97 FedEx What makes it so great?
Firm continues a no-layoff philosophy, offers health insurance to retirees and part-timers, and promotes from within (90% of FedEx Express managers worked their way up).

That is straight from Fortune’s website here is the link money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2008/snapshots/97.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sweets707 in Dallas, Texas

96 months ago

Can any one tell me how to get in touch with a fedex contractor in Dallas,Garland,Richardson,Plano,Allen,Mckinney,Rockwall,Rowlett,wylie and surrounding areas. My fiancee currently works for fedex in Fort Worth and would like to transfer to one of these areas. It has been impossible for us to locate an individual contractor. Please respond if you know of anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ronald A. Patanao in Los Angeles, California

96 months ago

It's up to you guys if easy to move the different places and you make good oppurtunities and feel like stable go ahead.For you this is a good step for your good career why not right go to your goal. I hope you one of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sin in Struthers, Ohio

93 months ago

Do NOT apply for this job.

Management is unsatisfactory
Pay is suboptimal, you will be paid the same if your working 5 hours or 500.
No say in you own work schedule
No days off
No opportunity for advancement
No benefits.

Take it from someone who worked for them for almost a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

I feel I should correct what the person before me wrote

1. Depends on where you work and who you managers are.
2. It is a part time job. What other PT job will pay $11+ an hour? Not bad. Plus every Package Handler in the company just got a substantial raise.
3. Once again Part Time Job!
4. You are able to requests days off if you need it as long as you don't abuse it. A guy I work with gets 2 weeks in a row off every year.
5.This is 100% false. There are many opportunities for advancement. It can take a while but they are there.
6. Once again PART TIME JOB! What can you expect.

If the person is referring to a contractor job then no would not have any of those because there are independent contractors. Like I have said before don't become a driver. Or any job that is an independent contractor.

BTW Just found out that Drivers get charged for delivering packages to the wrong addresses. They have to pay the amount equal to the value of the contents of the package. FedEx Ground ships for Apple so imagine miss delivering a Mac Book Air. You would be screwed for a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

You can take time off, I just requested and was approved for a week in October and 4 days over Christmas off. The pay isn't what it should be for the work we do, but to be starting off now, the pay is like this

Base: 9.90
1st month: .10 raise
3rd month: .50 raise
6th month: .25 raise
1 yr: .50 raise
and each year after that, up to the 3rd year will be a .50 raise. Corporate is going to re-evaluate the pay each year to determine whether a raise is due for package handlers or not.

But hell, YOU CAN'T beat this pay. Especially if your in college like I am and need money... Not to mention, at the terminal I work at, we have a great time during our shift. The managers are both laid back as long as your getting your work done. They don't bother you. That is the only time that they will get involved in your job is if your not doing what your supposed to be doing, or if your doing something improperly. Which is like any job.

Great job, would recommend this job to anyone who can handle it.

BTW, Ive been working for FedEx Ground for almost a year as well, and I haven't had any issues with Managers, Pay, or hours. Especially hours, because we have the option to stay for the next shift. We're allowed to work up to 8 hours (but no more) in one day. And you figure, if you do that, YOU'LL BE SET. Not to mention if you hit 30 hours on Thursday, your maxed out, you can not work Friday...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kbrown317 in Indianapolis, Indiana

93 months ago

Steven in Redford, Michigan said: Fedex Express and Fedex Ground are not the same thing. Fedex Express does give its employees benefits but Fedex Ground does not.

Ground does offer benefits to full-time package handlers(37.5hrs/wk) and part-time package handlers who have worked at least a 1000hrs. I get benefits and Im part-time.

My managers have told me that each Ground location may have different starting rates. Indy- 9.25 someone told me they start at 11.00 somewhere in MN and almost 13.00 in Columbus OH , I know the MN is true but Im not sure about OH.

93 months ago

At my facility you are not aloud to get more then 30 hours and they don't offer any insurance. They do have an insurance company that offers low rate for part time but FedEx does not pay any portion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UPSER in Denver, Colorado

90 months ago

Well starmode, about the lack of benefits,you said it's only a part time job so what do you expect. Well, UPS gives their employees the best bene's in the nation. EVEN PART TIMERS! The work is hard. The companies are the same in that aspect. But the union fights for your raises. Started at 8.50, and 7 months later got to 10.50. No lie! The union is a protector. The only way to get fired is to steal, fight, or if you don't call in for 3 staright days. And the last one is an iffy. UPS makes Fed-Ex look like a joke. By the way, Fed Ex can only dream of getting the volume UPS will through DHL's downward spiral. To the people wanting a job with Fed Ex: Come to UPS. Come where the benefits are, and where promotion from within is a constant, and to a place where the union fights to get you more money, and protects your job! GO BROWN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

UPSER in Denver, Colorado said: Well starmode, about the lack of benefits,you said it's only a part time job so what do you expect. Well, UPS gives their employees the best bene's in the nation. EVEN PART TIMERS! The work is hard. The companies are the same in that aspect. But the union fights for your raises. Started at 8.50, and 7 months later got to 10.50. No lie! The union is a protector. The only way to get fired is to steal, fight, or if you don't call in for 3 staright days. And the last one is an iffy. UPS makes Fed-Ex look like a joke. By the way, Fed Ex can only dream of getting the volume UPS will through DHL's downward spiral. To the people wanting a job with Fed Ex: Come to UPS. Come where the benefits are, and where promotion from within is a constant, and to a place where the union fights to get you more money, and protects your job! GO BROWN!

Yea, the only thing about working for a union is you owe union dues. Which get taken out of your check, meaning less money in the long run! Not to mention, you start at $8.50 an hour. FedEx starts at 9.90 now, after the company gave all package handlers a raise back in September. After your first month, you make $10.00. You also get a raise after your third, sixth, and twelfth month of service.

UPS in my opinion beats FedEx in one area, Tuition Assistance. FedEx: $1,500.00 per calendar year, UPS: $3,000.00 per calendar year. However the assistance is by circumstance. NOT EVERYONE IS ELIGIBLE. Only certain parts of tuition are eligible, housing/transportation not included. Any kits, special accessories needed are not included, there is a lot of fine print with both of them is what I am trying to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alia124 in San Diego, California

88 months ago

denni in Whittier, California said: The guy who wrote that you could make 60k on a fedex route is blowing smoke. I had four routes which grossed around 290k per year. Once you deducted all expenses I made less than 65k and I ran one of the routes myself. The management peple at FDX at a ruthless group and will do anything to make their numbers look good. That includes making up a case to get rid of you. DO NOT INVEST IN THIS SCHEME. CHECK OUT ALL THE LAWSUITS IF YOU DOUBT ME.

Hi Denni, Can you please tell me how your net income was only 65k when you grossed 290k? What was your biggest expense that was not accounted for? I am seeing routes that are for sale that says net is 80-90k for 2 routes.. Is that too good to be true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

alia124 in San Diego, California

88 months ago

Ted said: Hello everyone,
I am looking to buy a fedex route. I wanted to know the pros and cons for the ground route. What kind of expenses are expected? How much they reimburse for gas, maintenance or anything else? What kind of bonuses do they give out? Does fedex require to change vehicle on certain mileage? Do they regulate contractors for hiring drivers, etc?
I see alot of contractors selling their route, seems like there is a reason so many are for sale. Any other info will greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Ted, did you end up going for the route? what did your research say? I am also interested in purchasing a route, but am unsure what to expect. The numbers seem too good, and I am wondering what the catch is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenny2345 in Fargo, North Dakota

86 months ago

I have worked for both companies: FedEx Express and UPS
FedEx hourly rate: $13.76
part-time: good benefits
They expect you to be quick and deliver packages at a certain rate. It's not union or like the post office so prepare to work for the money. Their is room for advancement and the managers get 60,000 - 50,000 a year. FedEx hires from within and you can bid jobs all over the US. Full time drivers max out at $25 hour and it takes years to ever reach this amount. Some of the best couriers after 3 years still make $14.78 and others with 15 years of service are at $20. There is seniority for routes and days off. It's not a bad company to work for but your body will burn out as a courier for sure.
UPS hourly rate at the time I worked there was 12 hour for part time. They didn't offer benefits to part-time employees. The pace was the same but I felt the atmosphere was a lot less friendly,my perspective and opinion only. UPS is unionized and the rate currently is $28 hour for full time employees. Management would promise manager positions in attempts to keep you there part time. It is very hard to get full time position. I had a friend work part time for 3.5 years, mean while managers kept promising him full time and he never got in.
My advise, go to collage and get a career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

john doe in Port Orange, Florida

85 months ago

You speak the truth finally!!!!! I work for express and this is to the "tee" absolutley the truth. I make 13.76 an hour and will never get full-time due to the fact I work at a "senior" station. Good luck getting vacation!!!!! Benies are great though, but just the other day I worked a a.m. rt. and my p/u( PICK UP) rt. i clocked in at 0847 clocked out at 1101 waited 4 hr (went home) started p.m. rt at 1500 worked reload wich sucks!!!!!! until 1830. so that equalls 7 1/2 hrs * 14.76 split shift pay ( cause there was a two hour window between shifts) equalls $110.70 before taxes got home at 2000 (8 o'clock) at night. so basically a 11 hr day.( not including driving)) so that equalls $10.06 an hour!!!!!! GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

The Truth in Hemet, California

84 months ago

Lots of BS on this site from disgruntled Ex FedEx workers. I was a manager at a Ground and Home Delivery terminal for years and here's the truth:

Express is good to work for, from what I've heard. They're all employees- no independent contractors. I can only speak for Ground and Home Delivery and I can tell you honestly that
it's a great company to work for if your manager knows what he's doing. Like most companies, there's good and bad, competent and incompetent managers, and usually FedEx will hire good ones who care about employees and contractors. Most of these complaints come from people who don't know the company or had false expectations.
Pkg handlers and drivers should expect to work hard, but the drivers work for contractors, and some are better businessmen than others. None of them pay benefits, but many drivers I know ended up buying their own routes later and went from $500/wk to 1500/wk. There will be costs as a contractor, and a lot more responsibility, so don't get into it if you're just looking to buy yourself a job. It's a business, and must be treated as such or you'll find yourself overwhelmed. If you just want to be a courier, work for Express.
Pkg handlers, if they stick with it, can be promoted to clerks($11-14/hr) or part time managers at $16-18/hr w/ benefits. They get $1500/yr in tuition reimbursement so it's a lot better than Wendys, but it's usually physically demanding, not for everyone.
I know guys who started as package handlers and now manage their own terminals within 5-6 years and make $50-65000 a year with expenses, paid training trips to Pittsburgh and good benefits. You get what you put into it, and sometimes you get stuck in a struggling terminal where you have to work long hours, but usually it doesn't last long and you settle into a well- run terminal where you can leave early when you need to and your regional managers leave you alone as long as you run your terminal well. Express is hurting now,Ground-no cutbacks yet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Janyeno in Manassas, Virginia

81 months ago

I've been working at fedex ground for about one year as a package handler, and I'm just about to advance to a full time clerk position in the office with full benefits. You will receive recognition for your hard work. Just exceed everyone's expectations, and keep your mouth shut, and good things will happen.

Andy carney in Parlin, New Jersey

80 months ago

patrick in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: how much do they pay

i work at fedex and i make 11.35 w/o benifits but it is backbreaking work over all i like it and i work at 3:30 in the morning

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tallhandsome in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Janyeno in Manassas, Virginia said: I've been working at fedex ground for about one year as a package handler, and I'm just about to advance to a full time clerk position in the office with full benefits. You will receive recognition for your hard work. Just exceed everyone's expectations, and keep your mouth shut, and good things will happen.

I hope that's true...I love working there...I have been at a few different Fedex Ground locations...from SLC, Atlanta and now in Sacramento..I am hoping that I get a FT QA position soon...I just applied but been with the company for 2 years and been way nice. I hope they won't piss me off and make me find another stable company..I care about income but environment and atmosphere of a workplace is extremely important for me and they are pullling my legs by saying oh you are good at these trucks..I feel they are telling me am stupid and won't move up or because am a female they'd like to keep me around for statistical purposes....I am a female indeed but breaking my back and working at a desk shouldn't be my stereotype let a person do what they like after its earned..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Penny Pogrant in Abilene, Texas said: I want a change in career. Is FedEx worth it? I've been in public tranportation for 16 years.

It truly depends on the position and your experience overall the company is a great place you just need research ask the right questions...my opinion FEDEX EXPRESS is great but you've got to put in the work...all other like Ground and Delivery are good too and u put in time but for quick and impressive outcome I am gonna go for FEDEX EXPRESS...Example you start Express you work hard never late,tardy,love to help others, never in a hurry to leave,etc for like 9 monhts to a year...u'll gain respect one your bosses will love you're in you start looking at manager roles and trust me it'll be the quickest ladder and best way to go commitment,dedication and hard work its like being in the American football i thinkkkkkk...lol. more like any stable company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

My thing is I know females aren't of the mainstream when it comes to FEDEX with the exception the administrative roles that we so seem to manage well....Very few women are given respect by package handlers if they aren't rough like a man....like screaming, cursing and yelling in your face....I don't believe in all that and I think with that I'll never make Manager at FEDEX even with a Master's in Logistics...I hate sitting at a desk for 8-10 hrs sorry I know I could get a better job but am just pissed and curious at the same time...I already gave up and if I don't get the next 5 positions I really want and apply for am out of that company it's been nice....y'all just need to be fair to the decent everything doesn't have to be labour,hard core, aggressive atmosphere....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

missyb in Fall Branch, Tennessee said: To Kevin in Knoxville: The new Fedex Ground distribution center will be in Kingsport. Is there plenty of opportunity for secretarial help with Fedex Ground?

Yes and No....I think they prefer to hire from within first but just appppppppplllllyyyy and sometimes it could be just knowing someone too...turnover rate in those departments are quite low though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.