FedEx News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 211)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico

65 months ago

Truth About Fedex in Alpharetta, Georgia said:

The people that are "waving their pom poms" are the same ones WONDERING if and when, they will be next.

Well, Kim did say she has money stashed away - but in the next paragraph she is wondering if her head is on the chopping block next.

I asked that question to see if anyone on here has definitive knowledge of any kind of actual layoff 'policy'. Up until that point, all I saw was rumor.

Trust me honey, if I was truly worried about losing my job, I wouldn't be wasting my time on this forum, complaining. I'd be brushing up my resume and making copies at Kinko's aka FedEx Office. I tend to be proactive, not reactive, when it comes to my finances :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

purplehemorrhage in Memphis, Tennessee said: As far as criteria, they are mixing it all up for the purpose of avoiding lawsuits regarding discrimination and wrongful termination. They don't want anyone to be able to point the finger at the company. They are picking older, younger, male, female, different races, long term employees and short term employees, veterans, and even disabled to avoid problems.

That seems counterproductive in respect to avoiding lawsuits lol. In this country, the normal and accepted procedure for a layoff policy is to follow 'seniority' guidelines - most recent hires (within the departments being reduced) laid off first. I'm no labor law expert, but I've not heard of lawsuits following this standard practice in industry. Anyone hear of lawsuits filed by American employees laid off using the standard practice? 'Normally acceptable standards' carry alot of weight in court. Deviation FROM them is usually the problem.

By using the eenie-meenie-miney (sp?) approach, I'd think a company would leave themselves wide open for a huge avalanche of lawsuits.

Could the "mixing it all up" formula actually have been based on something else that the writer is unaware of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Redhead1944 NLN in Camas, Washington said: No...I find the whole premise disgusting - field personnel and Express have been one of the bedrocks of Fedex since day one - Ground came late to the party and has a long way to go. I have been a courier and respect the job they do every day - you are making a mockery of a great company, it's founder and it's people....I feel very sorry for you. If you are still at Fedex, you should look for another job opportunity where your views are appreciated - try the boys in brown - Fedex is not and never will become a contractor company - believe it or not - it's an airline...Redhead1944

You go girl!! Jimmy (please tell me, where DID they bury you?) claimed to be a UPS employee. He doesn't seem to do anything except smack FedEx around, but his tennis raquet is a bit out of control.

I think Jimmy is a union plant on this site, and most likely not a Brownie at all. Any votes on that?

If he's a union plant, methinks he isn't winning anyone over to the dark side with his prose. Would be more interesting if there was some meat, to use his word, in his contributions to the discussion. But maybe it's just me :->

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

j hoffa in Westland, Michigan

65 months ago

FRED SMITH UNDER ONE UMBRELLA CONTRACTORS!!! FRED PURPLE AND ORANGE REALLY LOVE YOU AND THE COMPANY BUT MOST OF ALL THEY SUPPORT YOU AND PURPLE AND GREEEEEEEEN!!!!!! UNDER ONE UMBRELLA COMPANY FIRST

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

KIM I WAS INCENTERATED, AND SORRY MY SPELLING ISNT GREAT I DID GRADUATE BUT FAILED GRAMMER I TRY THROUGH. THANKS FOR BEING ON THE BOARD AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO DOESNT AGREE THAT THE FUTURE OF YOUR COMPANY IS CONTRACTORS. I MEAN COME ON YOU DONT HAVE A BINDING CONTRACT. WHY ARE YOUR PILOTS UNION WHY??? GIVE ME A GOOD EXPLANATION AND QUIT FARTING AROUND.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

RED HEAD HOPE YOUR PESION ISNT WITH FED EX CANT SEE WHY THE CONTINUE GIVING A PENSION THESE ARE TOUGH TIMES AND HAVE TO CUT COST <AKA> PENSION ALSO IT WOULD BE EASY JUST TAKE WHAT BARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT YOU HAVE NO VOICE WA WA WA WA .MATTER OF TIME.KEEP THAT PROMISE UP WE LIKE POSITIVE ATTITUDES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

KIM YOU PROBLY THINK POLICE ARE PROACTIVE AND NOT REACTIVE

65 months ago

TO ALL HARD WORKING FEDEX HOURLYS. FIND YOUR LOCAL TEAMSTERS OR TALK TO A UPS DRIVER GET THE NUMBER TALK TO FEW PEOPLE DOWN AT THE HALL THEY ARE NICE NOT EVIL DONT BE AFRAID THEY WILL LISTEN TO YOU .MAYBE YOU COULD COME DOWN FOR A MEETING USUALLY ON SUNDAYS  ITS REALLY GOOD INFORMATION ON LAWS BAD DOCTORS REALLY GOOD ADVICE ON WHATS ALSO GOING ON .  ON THE OUTSIDE <AKA.> BAD DOCTORS WHO ARE FOR COMPANY INSURANCE FOR WORKMANS COMP TO STAY AWAY FROM UNIONS ARE GOOD I WANT THE BEST 4 U I JUST TRY TO GIVE A LITTLE PUSH...SORRY FOR THAT......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Redhead1944 NLN in Camas, Washington

65 months ago

Mr Hoffa - you are so pathetic and I will assure you that you have taken what is a valid Fedex forum for both happy and unhappy employees to post their opinions..from the start, yours have been malicious and ludicrous - if you are living the "Union Dream" and thinking the Brown team has it all going for them - so be it - but never think that my pension is in jeopardy, that I am a whiner, that Mr Smith is "politicing" and/or afraid of his pilots going on strike..you live in a depressed state that has been reduced in population by 50%; the avg wage annually is 28K - Fedex is an airline - a great company - we actually dont need your posts in CAPS & since you seem to have a lot of time on your hands - why dont you head to your local Walmart & organize them..You do not speak for Fedex - you couldnt get a plane off on time if your life depended on it - I feel very sorry for you & your outdated ideas - Kim - glad to see you back on the Boards - it's a breath of fresh air and sanity after Mr H - Redhead1944

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut

65 months ago

Hello Everyone, Please remember that these forums are for educational purposes. It's important that you share your experiences and advice for the good of everyone who visits but engaging in personal disputes does not help. Please try to ignore personal attacks and keep the discussion on track. Thanks! Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

long live jimmy h

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

to all fedex employes they took down my post, with ups wages, vacation, pension , short and long term disabailty health bennies so i ask all of you to ask your ups drivers what they get in all the things mention and i believe your hard work at fedex isnt getting noticed and believe you deserve just as much you are getting short changed big time. also go down to a teamster meeting we would love to have you . they are great people talk to your ups driver and see if he goes and meet up with him .he glady would except your brotherhood. its really informative meeting about alot of issues . YOU DESERVE BETTER I SEE YOU GUYS WORKING HARD AND THEY KEEP TAKING IM FOR YOU THE WORKING PEOPLE. SAY NO TO CONTRACTORS THEY ARE TAKING YOUR WORK FOR LESS MONEY . DOES FRED WANT 2 TRUCKS <aka> green purple orange purple> on the same street no he"s working on that and it will be green and purple WATCH OUT.

65 months ago

REDHEAD YOU NEVER ANSWERED THE QUESTION WHY ARE YOUR PILOTS UNION ANSWER THE QUESTION AND QUIT FARTING AROUND WHY IS THERE A REASON FOR THAT REDHEAD . PLEASE EXPLAIN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Redhead1944 NLN in Camas, Washington

65 months ago

Mr H - we have all been asked to keep this relative & for educational purposes and I have no inclination to discuss any part of Fedex with you...If your posts regarding UPS info were removed - perhaps it might enlighten you that no one considers this information needed for a Fedex forum...I have no intention of answering your questions regarding any union within or outside Fedex. I also resent and am reporting your remark to me regarding flatulation. Also you appear to be very frustrated by posting in CAPS -

I have a busy day ahead - we in this house appreciate what we have - Fedex is not the only company we have worked for but it is undoubtedly one of the best..Redhead1944

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

kim baloney. the meathod of if you dont like it then find work elseware well people can stand up for thier selves and try to make a better work enviroment sounds like typical manager lingo well hourlys keep fighting and oh by the way write fred smith and tell him to call kelly services and he could use them to replace those pathetic managers. will be cheaper and have the soon to be fired managers train them great concept huh ya shoes on the other foot probaly wont fit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

im educating lots of people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

is anybody for kelly services to replace sups and managers at fedex lots of people looking for jobs also any hourlys for representation from teamsters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

purplehemorrhage in Memphis, Tennessee

65 months ago

Tammy He in Minnesota said: I have been with FedEx over 20 years. I have seen some good people be let go because of too many accidents or attendance but from what I have seen over the years you have to be a major f'up to be fired. Looking over the employee org chart for my previous station, there are still many many people there with over 25 years experience. There has to be a reason for it!

That's what I thought until it happened to me. I am a Veteran who has a 20 year flawless record with regard to work history and performance. I have news for you, I was not f'up unless you consider someone who receives a 4.0 Performance Evaluation 2 months before it happened f'up. Too many awards to count. I am still in shock over what has happened. I,too, love FedEx, but I have to say that their priorities have gotten outta whack. In the old days you had to be majorly f'up to be fired - now if you are not majorly f'up, and they want you gone, they will do what they can to make you look f'up. As for GFT, I always believed in it before - but I seriously had no chance with the economy the way it is, even though I proved the lies and the setup. I would also like to say that I was a proud Purple Blood who stood up for PSP and the fair environment at FedEx. I have heard that that the joke is on me because the ones who wanted a Union and are still there are laughing it up saying I would still have my job if there was a Union at FedEx. I can't stand a Union - but look where that philosophy got me....... :-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

purplehemorrhage in Memphis, Tennessee said: That's what I thought until it happened to me. I am a Veteran who has a 20 year flawless record with regard to work history and performance. I have news for you, I was not f'up unless you consider someone who receives a 4.0 Performance Evaluation 2 months before it happened f'up. Too many awards to count. I am still in shock over what has happened. I,too, love FedEx, but I have to say that their priorities have gotten outta whack. In the old days you had to be majorly f'up to be fired - now if you are not majorly f'up, and they want you gone, they will do what they can to make you look f'up. As for GFT, I always believed in it before - but I seriously had no chance with the economy the way it is, even though I proved the lies and the setup. I would also like to say that I was a proud Purple Blood who stood up for PSP and the fair environment at FedEx. I have heard that that the joke is on me because the ones who wanted a Union and are still there are laughing it up saying I would still have my job if there was a Union at FedEx. I can't stand a Union - but look where that philosophy got me....... :-(

This is the first I-got-fired or I-got-laidoff post that truly resonated for me. I'm so sorry this happened to you. If it's true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then you are correct. We can only hope this is limited to a few managers, and not the entire management structure at FedEx. If not, it sounds like the UPS I knew well and worked at for 10+ years. Is the union the answer? No. I've seen them up close and personal as they operated. Trust me, they don't care about you as an individual. If they 'won' the last confrontation with management, they'll let mgmt 'win' this time, when they fire you. OK? I've seen it happen. "Whose turn is it to win"? was the union/mgmt philosophy that I witnessed. Honestly. You want to pay union dues for THAT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I have heard that that the joke is on me because the ones who wanted a Union and are still there are laughing it up saying I would still have my job if there was a Union at FedEx. I can't stand a Union - but look where that philosophy got me....... :-(

And who says they won't be next? Look, there are horror stories on both sides of the Union issue fence. In my area, awhile back, several UPS drivers who had 60+ years seniority were fired for what I'm told are petty reasons. I cannot give you details on the reasons, because I didn't ask, but the reasons in general WERE petty. As of now, they're still fired. Where is their union? No, amazingly enough, the union hasn't gotten their jobs back.

Unions aren't some magic pill between us and joblessness. For some reason, people think unions are all-powerful knights in shining armor who will protect disadvantaged employees against the bad guy - management. It isn't always the case the union will rescue you, just as it isn't always the case that management is bad. It's just our bad luck when we run into the bad operators on either side.

I've said I've been 'fired twice' at FedEx. The reason they didn't stick is because a good manager vetoed the actions of a bad manager. The disciplinary actions wouldn't have stuck anyway if policy had been followed during an investigation, but it never got that far. I was fortunate to have good managers immediately above mine. I still think the good ones far outweigh the bad ones. I'm sorry that didn't happen in your case. How sad. Seems FedEx lost a good apple. If so, it's our loss.

Since you have nothing left to lose, why not write to Fred? Tell him your story. The worst that can happen is nothing. If your story is true, upper management needs to know what's happening in the ranks. This company is far too good to allow it to change negatively.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: I have heard that that the joke is on me because the ones who wanted a Union and are still there are laughing it up saying I would still have my job if there was a Union at FedEx. I can't stand a Union - but look where that philosophy got me....... :-(

And who says they won't be next? Look, there are horror stories on both sides of the Union issue fence. In my area, awhile back, several UPS drivers who had 60+ years seniority were fired for what I'm told are petty reasons. I cannot give you details on the reasons, because I didn't ask, but the reasons in general WERE petty. As of now, they're still fired. Where is their union? No, amazingly enough, the union hasn't gotten their jobs back.

Unions aren't some magic pill between us and joblessness. For some reason, people think unions are all-powerful knights in shining armor who will protect disadvantaged employees against the bad guy - management. It isn't always the case the union will rescue you, just as it isn't always the case that management is bad. It's just our bad luck when we run into the bad operators on either side.

I've said I've been 'fired twice' at FedEx. The reason they didn't stick is because a good manager vetoed the actions of a bad manager. The disciplinary actions wouldn't have stuck anyway if policy had been followed during an investigation, but it never got that far. I was fortunate to have good managers immediately above mine. I still think the good ones far outweigh the bad ones. I'm sorry that didn't happen in your case. How sad. Seems FedEx lost a good apple. If so, it's our loss.

Since you have nothing left to lose, why not write to Fred? Tell him your story. The worst that can happen is nothing. If your story is true, upper management needs to know what's happening in the ranks. This company is far too good to allow it to change negatively.

I am not for a union at FedEx --- but I do foresee it happening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

The reason I say this is because people like me are being sabotaged by co-workers who want a union --- and some Mgmt. doesn't seem to care very much about that anymore. If it continues to happen to others that oppose a union, then eventually you are left with a union. I will most likely write Fred because I know that it has worked in the past for others. I am not so sure that it will work this go 'round due to the economic circumstances, but it can't hurt to try. It would be sweet justice to see the ones behind all of this with egg on their faces........ I will just have to see how it plays out. I am still fighting, and I am not going to give up. It is not my nature.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FedEx_Layoff in Memphis, Tennessee

65 months ago

Having worked for both UPS and FedEx, I can give you a bit more of an insight on the Union. At UPS, at least at the location i worked at, the union only covered hourly workers, not salaried professionals or managers. The layoffs on April 3rd (at FedEx) targeted the salaried professionals and managers, which wouldn't have been represented by the Teamsters anyways (had they been established at FedEx and used the same model as the UPS union).

And IMO, the layoff numbers might have been much larger if the Teamsters had established themselves at FedEx because Fred would possibly not have had the ability to reduce hours of the hourly employees because of a union contract. So the non union workers (salaried) would have to take a larger hit to make up for the lack of money saved by hourly time cuts.

The union only cares about one thing, and that's making money from dues. Regardless of what they might say, they are a for-profit organization - and have done little for UPS employees except create a massive tension between the workers and the management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

purplehemorrhage in Memphis, Tennessee said: The reason I say this is because people like me are being sabotaged by co-workers who want a union --- and some Mgmt. doesn't seem to care very much about that anymore. If it continues to happen to others that oppose a union, then eventually you are left with a union. I will most likely write Fred because I know that it has worked in the past for others. I am not so sure that it will work this go 'round due to the economic circumstances, but it can't hurt to try. It would be sweet justice to see the ones behind all of this with egg on their faces........ I will just have to see how it plays out. I am still fighting, and I am not going to give up. It is not my nature.

You are right that FedEx would be more likely to unionize if the non-union supporting employees are outnumbered. The kneejerk reaction to the layoff situation may easily convince some employees who'd never normally support unionization to do so. Panic leads people to react, usually without doing the research needed.

I certainly do hope you will write Fred. As you said, it has worked before, and again, what do you have to lose? If you do write, please please keep us informed here regarding the results. I, for one, am very interested in how it works out for you, and I hope you get your job back.

65 months ago

FedEx_Layoff in Memphis, Tennessee said: Having worked for both UPS and FedEx, I can give you a bit more of an insight on the Union. At UPS, at least at the location i worked at, the union only covered hourly workers, not salaried professionals or managers. The layoffs on April 3rd (at FedEx) targeted the salaried professionals and managers, which wouldn't have been represented by the Teamsters anyways (had they been established at FedEx and used the same model as the UPS union).

And IMO, the layoff numbers might have been much larger if the Teamsters had established themselves at FedEx because Fred would possibly not have had the ability to reduce hours of the hourly employees because of a union contract. So the non union workers (salaried) would have to take a larger hit to make up for the lack of money saved by hourly time cuts.

The union only cares about one thing, and that's making money from dues. Regardless of what they might say, they are a for-profit organization - and have done little for UPS employees except create a massive tension between the workers and the management.

Well said, particularly reinforcement of the point that unions are a for-profit organization - just another corporation. They shouldn't be put up on some kind of false pedestal.

And, also being former UPS and current FedEx, I couldn't agree more that a union workplace creates an Us / Them atmosphere that is beneficial to no one. It's a tremendously stressful environment. Each side continually patrols the other, looking for violations. The energy required for this would be much better spent in cooperation than opposition.

Thank you for this valuable viewpoint.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

ya i made 75,000 dollars driving last year. will be up to 30 dollars an hour next year.32.50 at end of CONTRACT 2013, get free prescript at ups and you guys dont like unions how stupid is that .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

R Ewing in Bemidji, Minnesota

65 months ago

Met a guy on my route this week that said he had just retired from UPS in January after 30 years. He said that they were already screwing with his pension!!!! I commented that he should probably contact his union about that since that's why he paid due's all those years. Gave my a wry smile and said that since he retired they must have lost his phone number.

j hoffa this is why I would never, ever want a union. Take a conservative look at life and decide that what YOU put in YOU take out, not a just because your breathing you deserve something attitude.

65 months ago

ewing back that up with facts. your wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JBVO in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Tammy He in Minnesota said: No we don't need a union..Have you tried the GFT processs? It works!

I am a very content Express employee of 10+ years, but the GFT process is extremely far from fair, especially when trying to appeal their definition of "preventable" injuries or accidents. You get to take a "peer" with you, but they have a senior manager and the GUY THAT MADE the ORIGINAL DETERMINATION against you.

I lost a recent GFT, which my direct manager (who during the GFT process had to defend the FedEx determination) basically told the panel of three that the ruling should have been nonpreventable. I lost on a 2-1 vote (my peer being the only one that sided with me). This has not disgruntled my overall view of FedEx, just the GFT process. It is stacked totally against you, except perhaps in a termination GFT, which is a lot different than an injury/accident GFT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JBVO in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

R Ewing in Bemidji, Minnesota said: Met a guy on my route this week that said he had just retired from UPS in January after 30 years. He said that they were already screwing with his pension!!!! I commented that he should probably contact his union about that since that's why he paid due's all those years. Gave my a wry smile and said that since he retired they must have lost his phone number.

j hoffa this is why I would never, ever want a union. Take a conservative look at life and decide that what YOU put in YOU take out, not a just because your breathing you deserve something attitude.

Taking a conservative look at life? LOL. Unions are one of the many ROOT causes of the US auto industry failing. Overpaid employees or outrageous contracts granted to the UAW. Unions had their place in the workplace at one time. When they started costing more jobs than they save..they have lost their direction.

nyycc in Memphis, Tennessee

63 months ago

JBVO in Pennsylvania said: Taking a conservative look at life? LOL. Unions are one of the many ROOT causes of the US auto industry failing. Overpaid employees or outrageous contracts granted to the UAW. Unions had their place in the workplace at one time. When they started costing more jobs than they save..they have lost their direction.

Did you hear that on Fox news or did Rush blabber that out? I guess $4/gallon gas and the decision to keep on building SUV's was also the fault of the unions. The collapse of the US economy probably had nothhing to do with the auto industry problems either. Lets lay it all at the unions feet.

How do you explain all the greedy financial institutions that have gone out of business in the past year? Not a one of them were union businesses.

A workplace without the union can be successful. But when employees have to deal with the Fred Smith's of the world, union representation is needed. Unions have more of a need now than ever in the workplace. CEO pay has skyrocketed, while employee pay keeps getting cut along with benefits.

Jobs are going overseas and companies are downsizing because of the economy. This economy affects both union and non-union companies just the same.

Big Poppa in East Elmhurst, New York

63 months ago

Hi, I used to work at FedEx Express and had to leave due to a family illness and I had a disagreement with Human Resources so now I'm having difficulty getting my application processed even though my manager will recommend me. Can anyone please help me with a connection they may have in FedEx Express so that I'm able to get rehired? I would appreciate this help, thanks, god bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hott in Jackson, Mississippi

63 months ago

what do yall think about the 876 million loss?

Truth About Fedex in Alpharetta, Georgia

63 months ago

hott in Jackson, Mississippi said: what do yall think about the 876 million loss?

That was 1.2 BILLION wasn't it - Kinkos and Watkins LTL.

Kinko's lost 876 and Watkins the other 400 million.

You want some good reading - check out what Fred said about "The purple promise!"

fedxmx.com/sites/fedxmx.com/files/FedExTranscript.pdf

also find out where ALL your pension money will be going:

fedxmx.com/sites/fedxmx.com/files/FedEx%20Pension%20Examples%20FINAL.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

we dont want your wining quit crying your lucky to have a job . fedex should fire you just cause they know you dont know how to listen. thats evident by your post

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

JonnyBGood in Woodbury, New York

54 months ago

Fedex is a TOP 10 contributor to Federal Lobbying to bypass laws(FACT). i am a fedex home delivery driver, which is basically Ground, but to residential mostly, some businesses as well. I enjoy my job and i strive to do the best job at all times. However, it is not a high-paying job by any stretch-anyone that thinks this is ignorant of reality. I can't speak for the other subsidiaries of fedex such as express or freight. However, it is interesting to note, and for everyone to acknowledge, that a good friend of mine works UPS as a package driver, in his 4th year, he makes about 60,000+ a year and averages 80-90 stops a day. I average about 120-140 stops a day as a fedex home driver for 2 years(working for a contractor), and i earn 1/2 that pay. So, for all the anti-union folk out there, i do almost twice the work, for about 1/2 the pay. Meanwhile, despite the worst economy in 70 years, Brown made $829 million from October to December 2008, according to fourth quarter financial numbers released by the company(And yet Fedex earnings net over the same period a mere $493 million). Revenue went up 3.6 percent in 2008 to $51.5 billion. For the full year, UPS made an operating profit of $5.4 billion and after-tax profits of $3 billion.
Additionally, despite the highly touted "contractor model" where we are all our own business, instead, it seems there is a handful of "owners" per terminal who each own several routes-and have for years; with a few exceptions of single-route owners. Most of the drivers are just that-drivers. They work for little pay, and absolutely zero benefits. I have not a single iota what the profitability is for contractors (owners), but if you look at the big picture, somehow Fedex manages to make FAR less money when trying to deliberately prevent contracted drivers from organizing, then their chief competitor UPS, whose labor, all of them, are unionized and earning substantially more(w/excellent benefits) than their contracted counterparts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wil el coyote in California

54 months ago

diny540 in Winchester, Virginia said: HI EVERYONE: TIME TO STOP THE DREAM MANY OF YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT FEDEX AND I RECENTLY LEARNED THE HARDWAY. FEDEX MAY NOT LAY OFF BUT THEY MAKE IT SO HARD FOR YOU TO STAY THAT YOU HAVE TO QUIT OR YOUR PERSONAL LIFE IS RUINED. THEY JUST TOOK MY DAY ROUTE FROM ME THAT I HAD OVER 12 YEARS AND HANDED IT OVER TO A GUY AT FEDEX AND MOVED ME TO HIS ROUTE EVENING ROUTE, NOW THIS MEANS NO EVENINGS WITH MY FAMILY AND THEY STRIPPED ME OF MY SATURDAY. WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT THIS WAS TAKING PLACE THE SENIOR MANAGER READ A STATEMENT BY FRED SMITH THAT HE SAID JUSITIFIED THE WHOLE CHANGE. HE STATED TO ME AND SMILED FEDEX IS ALL ABOUT CHANGE. THE SENIOR BASICALLY STATED THAT IF ME LOSING MY JOB WILL HELP HIM SECURE HIS IN THE FUTURE THEN IT WILL HAPPEN AND DETROYING MY FAMILY LIFE IS IRRELEVANT. I JUST LOST MY POSITION TO A MALE WHO WANTED MY ROUTE. FEDEX DONT CARE. I STOOD UP FOR FEDEX AND WORKED MY BUTT OFF MISSED OUT ON MY KIDS AND THIS IS THE REWARD I GET. ANYONE THAT THINKS THIS CANT HAPPEN IS DEAD WRONG. I SWORE WE DIDNT NEED THE UNION IN FEDEX BUT WHEN THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN IT MAKES YOU WONDER.

DON'T worry...you will have more company soon " EVER FRED LAND " is about to change the dream ride!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: Unhappy people tend to get angry when they're told to look elsewhere for worthwhile and fulfilling work, but taking the kid gloves off here, I think it's excellent advice. We spend much of our lives working - why keep working at a job if you hate it? Put that energy towards finding a job that better suits you if you dislike the one you have.

KIM you PURPLE BLOODED ZOMBIE!

54 months ago

Got my letter from Uncle Fred today. As a "TEAM MEMBER" he wants me to write a letter to my Senator to stop the UNION (wonder how much that mass mailing cost).

Sorry Fred. I'm an Independent and I'm really not a "FAN" of the Republican party right now.

Wonder how happy they are that you are "holding" up this bill.

thinkprogress.org/2010/03/08/corker-faa-hold/

Also, check out this FACTCHECK:

www.factcheck.org/2009/07/brown-bailout-hardly/

54 months ago

Sorry about your situation. I've witnessed exactly what you speak of; the stories I could tell you.

The only difference: A few individuals actually keep very good records and stood up for their rights. Trust me when I say, "Fedex knows who they can intimidate".

I don't know how far you went up the ladder; most people are so afraid of losing their job, they will not go above their managers head.

As I've said before, until it actually happens to one of those hooked up to the "Purple Blood IV", they will wear knee pads till the day they die.

Type in "Lawsuits against Fedex" in Google. Besides the major one in California, you would be "surprised" of what they try to get away with and what they have let other individuals (especially manangement), do to other employees.

winger in New York

54 months ago

Disgruntled employees = losers that no other employer wants. Don't bother trying to look for a job that will make you happy, because it doesn't exist. When you interviewed for you job at FedEx I'm sure everyone of you said all the right things: "I never call in sick", "I'll do anything to work here". Then you found out how hard the work is (what did you expect? You barely qualify for a minimum wage job). FedEx is successful because they have been able to change quickly to meet business demands. Face it, you can't handle change. You want the job to be the way it was 10, 15,20 years ago. Problem is, the world isn't the same and it left you behind. Many people are thankful to work for FedEx and they deserve the opportunity to come to work every day and not have to listen to your whining and complaining. You know all those people who politely nod in agreement when you're ranting? They are calling you an idiot behind your back (I see and hear it everyday). I don't expect FedEx to provide me with the route I want, the vacation I want or to do my work for me. I expect FedEx to give me a paycheck for every honest hour of work that I give them, nothing more. That is all that was ever promised. Go ahead, call me a Purple Zombie, tell me I bleed purple. All I know is that because of FedEx my children have had a nice home to grow up in, attended college and I have a decent retirement waiting for me (not all because of FedEx, but because I actually took some responsibility for myself and prepared for my retirement years ago). So pack your bags and move along. Go find a nice union job where you can sit around and do nothing all day and have someone else bail out your butt everytime you screw up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Big Poppa in East Elmhurst, New York

54 months ago

Whoever loves FedEx is just brainwashed like the rest of the mindless sheep. UPS pays more than $10 more an hour in just two years under the union that you guys don't like with less pressure. And just because a job is union doesn't mean it's easy work (what a stupid comment that was). FedEx is just purple BS with there stupid independent contractors working them like they were illegal. They pressure you so much to make P1 service even when impossible that people end up falsifying and getting fired,how is that fair you purple fool zombies.Just keep convincing yourselves that FedEx is great like the mindless sheep Fred wants you to be when he sends you those BS letters in the mail that make me want to throw up. They're so pathetic,like you for acting all holy for being brainwashed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

winger in New York said: Disgruntled employees = losers that no other employer wants. Don't bother trying to look for a job that will make you happy, because it doesn't exist. When you interviewed for you job at FedEx I'm sure everyone of you said all the right things: "I never call in sick", "I'll do anything to work here". Then you found out how hard the work is (what did you expect? You barely qualify for a minimum wage job). FedEx is successful because they have been able to change quickly to meet business demands. Face it, you can't handle change. You want the job to be the way it was 10, 15,20 years ago. Problem is, the world isn't the same and it left you behind. Many people are thankful to work for FedEx and they deserve the opportunity to come to work every day and not have to listen to your whining and complaining. You know all those people who politely nod in agreement when you're ranting? They are calling you an idiot behind your back (I see and hear it everyday). I don't expect FedEx to provide me with the route I want, the vacation I want or to do my work for me. I expect FedEx to give me a paycheck for every honest hour of work that I give them, nothing more. That is all

Hey "WINGER" I bet you never SPENT ONE STINKIN' DAY on a route trying to make service. If you ever did spend any time out in the real world it was probably a "cameo appearance" ride along where you deem to get your hands dirty for 30 mns once a year to validate your "street cred" with the other "cubicle critters" . I guess as long as you have reached your hedonistic zone of comfort you could not care less for the plight of the back bone of FEDEX : The couriers.
Go back to reciting your mantras "Father Fred" gave you and stay in a trance surrounded by the temporary illusion of affluence your guru has provided for you.

I see Brown n Purple Peeple in savanah, Georgia

54 months ago

winger in New York said: Disgruntled employees = losers that no other employer wants. Don't bother trying to look for a job that will make you happy, because it doesn't exist. When you interviewed for you job at FedEx I'm sure everyone of you said all the right things: "I never call in sick", "I'll do anything to work here". Then you found out how hard the work is (what did you expect? You barely qualify for a minimum wage job). FedEx is successful because they have been able to change quickly to meet business demands. Face it, you can't handle change. You want the job to be the way it was 10, 15,20 years ago. Problem is, the world isn't the same and it left you behind. Many people are thankful to work for FedEx and they deserve the opportunity to come to work every day and not have

"winger" , you sure sound like a "FRED-ford Wife" for sure..you simply cannot be a courier! No one said anything about whining or not handling change: it's just basic work issues and dignity we care about. You seem far too comfortable to care about anything but your golden years...RETIRE already and make room for someone else more contemporary to the needs of the FEDEX courier. It's obvious that you have been bought and paid for years ago!

54 months ago

wil el coyote in California said:

OUCH !! Rigth on "Wil E Coyote" right on! ZING that PURPLE ZOMBIE !!!

54 months ago

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: In all the years I've worked for FedEx, seniority DOES prevail. FedEx doesn't call it seniority, they call it 'time in service'. And yes, they honor that completely. If there's overtime available, the 'senior' people get 1st shot at it. If senior people don't want it, they go in reverse-seniority order, and the lowest man on the totem pole has to work it. This is as it should be.

In every aspect of the company that I've seen, seniority rules (no matter what the company chooses to call it).

There's no reason to unionize at FedEx. None. We have many protections in place already, and they work relatively well. I'd personally anti-union campaign in response to anybody coming to my FedEx station to attempt to unionize it. I'd tell of the things I personally saw the union do when I worked in a union environment. I'd tell of the families that lost their houses and cars when the Teamsters forced them to strike, even when THE MEMBERS VOTED AGAINST STRIKING. The pitiful little amount of strike pay didn't buy their groceries.

I may have some complaints about my company, but none would remotely warrant unionization.

'KIM, there is just absolutely NO way you are or were ever a driver. PLz move your desk further away from the koolaid bowl!

54 months ago

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: You go girl!! Jimmy (please tell me, where DID they bury you?) claimed to be a UPS employee. He doesn't seem to do anything except smack FedEx around, but his tennis raquet is a bit out of control.

I think Jimmy is a union plant on this site, and most likely not a Brownie at all. Any votes on that?

If he's a union plant, methinks he isn't winning anyone over to the dark side with his prose. Would be more interesting if there was some meat, to use his word, in his contributions to the discussion. But maybe it's just me :->

Go ahead "Kim Bolanos" your paranoia and duplicity is blatant. Any one that dares offer another opinion besides your cubicle dogma is a ".... union plant" ?? Really? Your stilted , formal "prose" is evidence enough that you are merely a corporate plant. Say five " HAIL ,Fred" s and take an extra cup of kool-aid for yourself, you deserve it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JonnyBGood in Woodbury, New York

54 months ago

winger in New York said: Disgruntled employees = losers that no other employer wants. Don't bother trying to look for a job that will make you happy, because it doesn't exist. When you interviewed for you job at FedEx ....All I know is that because of FedEx my children have had a nice home to grow up in, attended college and I have a decent retirement waiting for me (not all because of FedEx, but because I actually took some responsibility for myself and prepared for my retirement years ago)

Most people assume Fedex is like MOST companies of its size. They are not. You are on your own financially. You get paid considerably below industry average regardless of your role at the company/or if you work for a contractor in their professed "contractor model". Fedex is a success mainly as a result of being built with less than ambitious workers who "do not" strive for the best in life, because if they did they would not work for or with, Fedex. They only want to "Feel" important. It disgusts me that Obama would publicly say anything positive about this company (Did you know Fred Smiths' net worth is over 2 BILLION DOLLARS??), unless you agree with Obama's socialistic views which he believes will better serve america in the future-and if this is the case, then Fedex truly is a fabulous company, and how much $$ did Obama get for that Plug.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JBVO in Pennsylvania

54 months ago

Mark in Staten Island, New York said: I can tell you that the turnover rate is increasing at Fedex. They are not meeting the needs of the employees. It has turned for the worse over the past 5 years or so. Obviously, I do not see this as a positive thing for the company. Yes, I am an employee too.

I have also noticed an increase in turnover at our station. It isn't so much with full-timers moving on, but with part-timers and handlers that just don't get any hours or full-time doesn't open up fast enough for them.

As far as unionization....I would be initially opposed to it. I've been a driver over 12 years now, and while seniority doesn't really do anything for us (except for bidding vacation, and on other positions (assuming "they" aren't creating or opening a position for someone specific)), joining a union really wouldn't do much for us. Yes, they are "maxing" us out now and it sucks and jeopardizes service...but I certainly don't want to be restructured into a 10 hour route or some such nonsense. Yes, there are some very minor areas that a union would fix immediately...but the things I see that they would fix don't really interfere with me enough to pay dues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jamesallmon

54 months ago

N00000

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.