Disqualification of 30% or More Disabled Vets for jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

mrgregory29 in Oklahoma

52 months ago

I've longed questioned some of the hiring practices done on the base where I work at and my wife is stationed at. I've applied for around 15 jobs in the 4 years we've been here and haven't got so much as a phone call back. All the jobs I applied for had the Competitive Preferences on the announcements. I checked to 10-point preference for 30% and above (I'm 80%). All these jobs I clearly was qualified for due to work I done while in the Army. Some of them were basic Office Automation jobs.

Well right now I have a application in for two jobs that just closed out on friday that I once again qualify for. I decided to do some research and I came across this VetGuide that talks about Disqualification of 30 percent or More Disabled Veterans. Here's what it said..

-If an agency proposes to pass over a disabled veteran on a certificate to select a person who is not a preference eligible, or to disqualify a disabled veteran based on the physical requirements of the position, it must at the time notify both the Office of Personnel Management(OPM) and the disabled veteran of the reasons for the determination and the veteran's right to respond to OPM within 15 days of the date of the notification.

-The agency must provide evidence to OPM that the notice was timely sent to the disabled veteran's last known address.

-OPM must make a determination on the disabled veteran's physical ability to perform the duties of the position, taking into account any additional information provided by the veteran.

-OPM will notify the agency and the disabled veteran of its decision, with which the agency must comply. If OPM agrees that the veteran cannot fulfill the physical requirements of the position, the agency may select another person from the certificate of eligibles. If OPM finds the veteran able to perform the job, the agency may not pass over the veteran.

None of this has happened in any of the jobs I applied for. Is this right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cee in Germantown, Maryland

25 months ago

The agency reserves the right to cancel any position at any time. To get around the OPM requirement, some agencies will cancel the job announcement if they are not interested in accomodating the veteran. Within 30 days they will slightly change the position description and reannounce the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

smidlap in Cedar Hill, Texas

24 months ago

Cee in Germantown, Maryland said: The agency reserves the right to cancel any position at any time. To get around the OPM requirement, some agencies will cancel the job announcement if they are not interested in accomodating the veteran. Within 30 days they will slightly change the position description and reannounce the position.

Whether or not the agency is interested in accommodating the veteran is not a basis for canceling the announcement. An applicant reserves the right to file a Freedom of Information Act request at any time to find out what really happened during the hiring process to include obtain resumes and other records of every person hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.