Federal Government Jobs Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Federal Government Jobs?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Palm Desert, California

28 months ago

I was just hired into contracts within the Dept. of the Navy 45 days ago. Since the interview is still very fresh. I will give you an idea of some of the questions that I was asked.
First of all the interview is set up to last 30 minutes. They asked me to show up 15 minutes early so that I could review the questions prior to the interview; which I found interesting. You can actually keep the paper and make notes and use this while you are in your interview. I choose not to make any notes. I have always believed that real answers seem to go over better then pre-formed answers.
The first question was if I have one weakness with in the communication field what it would be i.e. writing, spelling etc.
The second question was if I thought I was a good critical thinker. One of the interviewing board members then looked at the score I received in statistics; while in college.
The third question was how I would handle working for a boss that might be younger than me.
This position that I took requires me to move from California to Pax River so they asked me a few questions concerning the move and if I had any family in the area.
Another question was: What was the most important aspect of my experience that would be the most helpful in this new position.
I think of the entire interview, the hardest part was telling them what I was weak in, because no one being interviewed wants to bag on themselves. My answer was that I lean on spell check a little too much.
My interview lasted a little more than 30 minutes because I did not give them one word answers. They really want to see you communicate.
NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT…DO NOT DO PHONE INTERVIEWS. I was told that the government doesn’t like to hire for obvious reasons, over the phone, but they do offer it. Don’t be tempted, if you travel to the interview they get to put a FACE on the application. They also get to know you. If you do a phone interview it’s much easier to take the person who showed up and said hi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I was just hired into contracts within the Dept. of the Navy 45 days ago. Since the interview is still very fresh. I will give you an idea of some of the questions that I was asked.
First of all the interview is set up to last 30 minutes. They asked me to show up 15 minutes early so that I could review the questions prior to the interview; which I found interesting. You can actually keep the paper and make notes and use this while you are in your interview. I choose not to make any notes. I have always believed that real answers seem to go over better then pre-formed answers.
The first question was if I have one weakness with in the communication field what it would be i.e. writing, spelling etc.
The second question was if I thought I was a good critical thinker. One of the interviewing board members then looked at the score I received in statistics; while in college.
The third question was how I would handle working for a boss that might be younger than me.
This position that I took requires me to move from California to Pax River so they asked me a few questions concerning the move and if I had any family in the area.
Another question was: What was the most important aspect of my experience that would be the most helpful in this new position.
I think of the entire interview, the hardest part was telling them what I was weak in, because no one being interviewed wants to bag on themselves. My answer was that I lean on spell check a little too much.
My interview lasted a little more than 30 minutes because I did not give them one word answers. They really want to see you communicate.
NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT…DO NOT DO PHONE INTERVIEWS. I was told that the government doesn’t like to hire for obvious reasons, over the phone, but they do offer it. Don’t be tempted, if you travel to the interview they get to put a FACE on the application. They also get to know you. If you do a phone interview it’s much easier to take the person who showed up and said hi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gloryofgreece in Seattle, Washington

28 months ago

wow this forum is like dead.

I have a job interview with a naval shipyard. I was wondering if people can shed light on the interview process with the navy. It is for an entryl level engineering job.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gloryofgreece in Seattle, Washington

28 months ago

Can people talk about their experience interviewing for a job at a naval shipyard? I have an interview very soon. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.