Good entry level gov job for someone with bachelors in political science (no experience)?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

lonni rob in Colorado Springs, Colorado

52 months ago

was wondering what jobs I could get . I am getting my bachelor's in politcal science. unfortunately, the only expeirence i have is being a custodian before college. I am entering the MPA (masters of public administration ) program and would like to start working while i complete that so i can start working my way up the ladder. any suggestions for jobs I'd qualify for or salaries I can get? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sooners in Fairfax, Virginia

48 months ago

I also received my BA in poli Sci from the University of Oklahoma and now working for the Federal Gov't. I didn't have any experiences when I graduated, either. Luckly, I was able to started at a GS-5 and slowly worked my way up. You can practically apply for ANY GS-5 unless they want certain degrees to meet basic requirements. Please don't pre-exlude yourself from applying because you feel not qualifying (you want to get your foot in, right?) Once you get a MPA degree, you can apply to a GS-9. I did that last year and got it.

Good Luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lonni rob in Colorado Springs, Colorado

48 months ago

Thanks for your reply :) How much does GS 5 pay? How much does GS 9 pay? Does that mean you wound up getting your MPA also? What sort of position was it? I really appreciate you replying :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sooners in Fairfax, Virginia

48 months ago

The GS 5 starts out with 42K and GS 9 starts out with 51K in DC-MD-VA. I think it is slightly less in the West. Just Google 'Federal Salary' and it will tell you exactly how much. I got a MBA in Finance but MPA just works well. I am always checking on a private sector:) I started as an administrative assistant and moved to a budgeting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aman Kumar in Ludhiana, India

10 months ago

Yes, I have good advice that nobody ever seems to give.

Apply to any and all ENTRY level jobs you see on job boards in the area where you want to be.

If the job description says we need a person with THIS degree and you don't have it, apply anyway.

My degree was in Environmental Sciences and when I couldn't find a job in that immediately, I applied to every job under the sun ... and got several interviews.

Among them were Executive Assistant for a Commercial Real Estate Company, Media Planner for an Advertising Firm, and Assistant Manager at a Children's Zoo. There were MANY others.

The fact that I didn't get any of those jobs might say something, but as the saying goes, "If you get the interview, you can get the job."

Keep in mind, this was all when the economy was much better. Don't know how this would work now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.