How to get a job at Fidelity Investments.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

X-Fidelity Guy in Salt Lake City, Utah

94 months ago

I worked at Fidelity for almost 8 years, but left the company last year. It is a very honorable, conservative, ethics-based company. Many of the comments posted herein have merit, but every company has its quirks -- Fidelity is no different. Just a few things: be persistent with your quest to get in, be ready for a multi-phased interview process (several people need to confirm your readiness), be ready for lots of tough, provocative interview questions(e.g."Give me an example of when you knew your manager was inaccurate on how a process/procedure should be performed, what did you do?"). Once you're in, you'll have to pay your dues like anyone else. There are many, many other smart, ambitious people who will compete with you. It is very difficult to get ahead, but hey, it has its heart in the right place and they have uncomparable retirement and medical benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

bentleykid in Waltham, Massachusetts

92 months ago

as a graduating senior i have accepted my first job with fidelity. I actually had several interviews w/ fidelity in different areas of the company. one of which i landed via a friend already working inside the company, and a second from campus recruiting. for me getting involved w/ fidelity was no problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JonathanZ in Dillon, Colorado

92 months ago

Wow, some bitter negative folks here. Having worked for them for 12 years, moved to Florida, and then been brought back on a contract basis, I can't believe how negative people are.

Fidelity is a great place to work. Esther and others calling it "political"? Guess none of you have worked on Wall Street. Go work at Goldman or Citicorp/Smith Barney or Bank of New York and find out what "political" really is. Fidelity is one of the least political of major financial services firms. Great benefits, pay scales are good and bonuses that reflect your performance.

If you're an underachiever it's a lousy place to work. In fact, if you're average, it's not a good place. It's like Lake Wobegon, everyone is above average. Highest concentration of smart people I've ever worked with in any major corporate IT world.

Yes, you've got to manage your career, and work hard. But the work-life balance is good compared to lots of places.

I'll admit that the hiring process can be somewhat slow, but in large part that's due to the "everyone's above average" expectation about who they want to hire.

I'm talking about professional IT jobs: software engineering, systems analysis, data modeling, database administration, business analyst, project management, things like that. Can't speak about the culture in terms of semi-professional, call-center, administrative, those types of positions. Also if you're just an "Joe Coder", you're not all that valuable; coders without a lot of business savvy and/or design & analysis skills are increasingly fungible to India, temp positions, whatever.

If it was such a bad company to work for, there wouldn't be so many 10 and 15 and 20 and 25-year vets, nor people who left and then came back.

As to "ss in Carson City" complaining about how Fidelity promotes from within: explain to me why that's a bad thing? Gee, a company that values its employees and whenever possible tries to groom people for advancement. How awful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

PLDK in Cary, North Carolina

91 months ago

I just got a job with Fidelity. I disagree with the posts completely. I knew NO ONE in the company. In fact, they called ME after doing a resume search online. I figured I would give it a shot to see what it was like... so I went on the interview. It was a little disorganized but you can tell that it was because of the growth that they are experiencing in this area. The people were ultra nice and everyone I interviewed with had been there for 12+ years. If it were such a bad place to work... why would they be there that long? As far as the benefits....I haven't seen better. I got a feel that everyone was very competent and wanted to do great things. I hope that there are challenges... that is how you achieve the next level of greatness... pushing beyond what you thought you could do.

For those that don't get a call back... don't take it personally...there are ALOT of other companies out there who don't reply either. I would chalk it up to too many people wanting a job there and not enough people to reply back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

OliviaJean in Milford, Massachusetts

90 months ago

Teri - that's great that you had an HR person who was so attentive and that's the way it should be! Looks like you were one of the lucky ones! If the job you were offered was at Fidelity congratulations..it can be a great place to work. I agree with you that lack of communication is the norm these days, but I think it's inexcusable for any company to be so inconsiderate. I spent alot of time preparing for my interviews, never mind the better part of a day that I spent there. If I wasn't the right fit for the job, great but they owed me the basic courtesy of letting me know that or at least letting me know that they had hired someone. In reading all the previous responses, seems like there are alot of people who shared similar experiences to mine - and I don't feel that their responses were "sour grapes" as one responder suggested. There were alot of positive reasons why I wanted to work at Fidelity - their reputation in the market place, good benefits and pay, they're close to home for me but after my experience, I don't really want to work for a company that can't take the time or be professional engough to extend simple respect to people who are interested in working there. Best of luck in your new position!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

24 months ago

I had an offer for a temp position with Fidelity thru Veritude rescinded because I 'failed the background' check due to my credit. They use a point system (more is bad) and if you have too many 'points' due to high debt or accounts in collections you are disqualified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

s.menedies in Amherst, New Hampshire

22 months ago

The hiring process is a joke. I am not sure if they are just trying to save money with the way they screen applicants, but to be honest, I have never witnessed through a more useless approach. Got the offer and refused after reading concerns posted by those what have worked at Fidelity and the nature of the company. All in all, what you find when you interact with the company screams poor management and what appears to be a complete disregard for their employees. I would rather not work for a company that sees its employees as simply a commodity to exploit. The pay and benefits may be decent, but so are most companies and there are plenty of growing firms that treat their employees as people who are valuable to the firm's success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Aliso Viejo, California

2 months ago

I don't get it... I have applied for a financial representative position with Fidelity and have everything they are looking for. I have over 10yrs sales experience, a 4 yr college degree, have my Series 7, 66, and loan origination licenses, and have already worked for several financial institutions. I figured I would have at least been offered an interview. Instead I received a response stating:

Thank you for applying to the position of Investments Representative - Irvine, CA. Although your background and qualifications are impressive, unfortunately we can not take advantage of your interest in Fidelity Investments at this time and will not be moving forward with your candidacy for this position.

Im trying to understand if Im missing a piece of the puzzle? Does anyone have any helpful advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kevin Lacriox in Marlboro, Massachusetts

2 months ago

Tim,
Get over it you are not what they are looking for, Fidelity does not want people with experience, they want stupid kids or people who worked retail, in stores, bars, and restaurants. I had one supervisor who had no clue of the difference between SIPC and FDIC. Be thankful you were not hired by Fido.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.