What's the company culture at Fidelity Investments?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 151)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Fidelity Investments?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Fidelity Investments?

Reply - Report abuse

Fidelity in Needham Heights, Massachusetts

92 months ago

As a former Fidelity employee the place is not the place to work if you want to thrive and be challenged. Very Political. I know many others who feel the same way and would not go back to Fidelity. It doesn't have a very good reputation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (92) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Esther in Winchester, Massachusetts

92 months ago

Fidelity said: As a former Fidelity employee the place is not the place to work if you want to thrive and be challenged. Very Political. I know many others who feel the same way and would not go back to Fidelity. It doesn't have a very good reputation.
you are so right!!!! Thank you for saying this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Former Fidelity Employee in Charlotte, North Carolina

92 months ago

Fidelity said: As a former Fidelity employee the place is not the place to work if you want to thrive and be challenged. Very Political. I know many others who feel the same way and would not go back to Fidelity. It doesn't have a very good reputation.

I worked for Fidelity in NC at their Call Center. It was very political, hardly no African Americans in management positions, you had to know someone to move up or brown nose. There was a girl who started with me in my training class who had no HR experience. She was asked to help in a different department and 3 months later was given the job. Her sister worked at Fidelity as well and she was friend with several mangers. The job wasn't even posted to give anyone else a chance to apply. It really sucks as a place of employment. PLEASE STAY AWAY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Current Employee in Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

91 months ago

I currently work in Fidelity's new site in Jax and I have to agree with previous posters. Yes, it is very political. It is irritating the amount of brown-nosers there are. And yes, you really have to be one to get ahead there. There are often positions that are not posted. And some that are posted but have already been filled so it is useless to apply.

Benefits wise the only perk is the company match to your 401k/profit sharing. The insurance is expensive and the other benefits are not any better than any other firm. To me the pay isn't even all that great. Some people from other similiar firms say it is comparable but the pay for me was alot less and their raises are not very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Existing Employee in Saint Paul, Minnesota

91 months ago

I laugh when reading the posts made regarding Fidelity. Fidelity is a large company and just like any large company there are some politics involved. However if you are hard working and do more than your job description it is easy to get a head. I have seen it on many occasions where temps are Vice Presidents 5-10 years later making 100K, 200K or more a year. for the person in Jacksonville. Try putting in more effort than just your normal 8 hours and you might see yourself getting ahead as well. Regarding benefits. This June they will match 7% + 10% profit sharing. free money management in 401k, computer discounts discounts on travel and 10K a year on tuition reimbursement. I have had many friends who thought the grass was greener on the other side and ended up coming back to Fidelity just a short while later

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (73) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Clearly this person in Saint Paul and I have different views and what type of person should be promoted. I have always excelled at previous companies and have been promoted based on my abilities. I find it very hard to send out emails to my team saying how wonderful I think I am when if I was really so wonderful you would see it in my work. I exceed my goals even at Fidelity but don't have the heart to brown-nose. That is just not my personality. Regarding the benefits, maybe I have just been spoiled but all of my previous jobs had very similiar benefits. Even the profit-sharing adds up to about the same as what my last company contributed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Raleigh, North Carolina

91 months ago

Sounds like you've got a bad attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Esther in Sutton, Massachusetts

90 months ago

Jax sounds reasonable and objective to me. There's no wailing or emotional language. And the only benefit really is taht 401K. At present, Fidelity is abandoning its previously highly touted pension plan with the bogus reason that it wants to help retirees save for health insurance. Yes, Fidelity many years ago was known as the place to work but really - from what I hear on the street - it's just not. It's unfortunate. And it's best to just accept it as it is and deal with that. All companies have 'stuff' Fidelity has a lot of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Milton Village, Massachusetts

90 months ago

As a former "Big Green" employee I can say that the training we received was top notch, although it was ten years ago and things have degraded since then, I feel that we received the best training available at the time especially for those of us who were new to the "Financial Services" industry. There were a handful of very strong managers but most were not prepared to be managers and were more concerned about saving their own jobs than actually grooming employees for growth and development within the company. I still keep in touch with several people with whom I trained in our "new hire" class, the team building was essential and very effective. The company is schizophrenic and keeps realigning divisions and renaming divisions to conform to the latest whim of whichever executive currently holds sway over the company. After 9-11 Fidelity used the "opportunity" to get rid of employees which they felt were problems including several with serious medical conditions. I have had a few friends actually go to work there, against my advice, who later left regretting the experience. Written warnings seem to be the current weapon of choice and apparently there have been too many "unscheduled bathroom breaks" for at least one manager to stand. I took a week off when my Grandmother passed away and was told, upon my return, that the next time it happened I would be terminated. There are other jobs out there in the financial services industry and if you have a decent resume and don't want to deal with the fact that your manager will more than likely be someone who will not only not be in your corner when the chips are down but who will be ill-equipped to give you any useful guidance on either a professonal or personal level then I'd take a pass. Call center jobs are good if you do not want to make a career out of it but if you love the industry look elsewhere, there are plenty of brokers looking for good sales assistants and the benefits and freedom can't be beat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SJS in Dallas TX in Dallas, Texas

90 months ago

I am considering a job at the Call Center near Dallas TX. I will have my first "interview" tomorrrow. It is in the 401K call center. Does anyone have any insight in what it is like there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Experienced in Cambridge, Massachusetts

90 months ago

<I> I laugh when reading the posts made regarding Fidelity. Fidelity is a large company and just like any large company there are some politics involved.</I>

I can't speak to the experience of this obviously very junior person, but in its own hometown Fidelity is a running joke. All companies have too much politics, of course, but at Fidelity, politics is your job. You will spend all day, every day, in meetings. Those who seek to do a good day's work, challenge themselves, and grow, all know they have no place in this company. It's quite common in Boston for a position to go unfilled for six months to a year, because the reputation on the street is really that bad. Now, sadly, they only hire the dregs and the oblivious. Fidelity was hot in the '80s, before it started hemmoraging market share, but today, other companies in the same sector offer a better experience at better compensation.

Stay away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Heidi in Colleyville, Texas

89 months ago

SJS in Dallas TX in Dallas, Texas said: I am considering a job at the Call Center near Dallas TX. I will have my first "interview" tomorrrow. It is in the 401K call center. Does anyone have any insight in what it is like there?

Did you go to this interview? I am one tomorrow for the same position, just interested in your experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

The interview process I experienced was very easy. They showed us a video about the job and company first. Then we got an opportunity to talk to 3 people that were already in the position. I would learn as much about Fidelity as you can by going to their website. This shows them you took the time to research the company. I was interviewed by 2 people at the same time and both people was very easy going and I even laughed several times during the interview. Just Relax, be confident, and show a willingness to do your best and you will have no problem. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ex Employee in Canada in Burlington, Ontario

89 months ago

I am an ex employee who worked for Fidelity in Canada and I have to agree with most postings on this site. Fidelity is the worst company to work for in the Financial Industry. They have the same issues in Canada as they do in the States. Its all about who you know and you brown nose enough to get the job. You could be the best worker and get great reviews from your boss however when it comes time for the promotions well you are left out in the cold.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Merrimack, NH in Woburn, Massachusetts

88 months ago

I have to disagree with the person writing that "if you do more than your asked " you will get ahead. I worked 60hrs a week as a "temp" for Fidelity for just about two years. They shipped almost all of my teams work ( health and insurance)to India. Then I got let go. After 60hrs a week, several different projects going at the same time. I got absolutely nothing out of the deal. My manager had told me that " if it were up to him he would hire me" When it came down to my last week, my manager hired another temp ( younger and cuter). I confronted my manager, and his reply was " I said I would hire you if I could, I never said you were my first choice". Is that a place you want to work? Constantly with one foot on a banana and your neck in a nuse? Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

tired of complaints in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

The things I read on here are the same complaints on every companies forum. You can't expect much nowadays, and if you do, then you are not too intelligent. It's a dog eat dog world. All big companies are the same, how do you think they make their money??? I don't think Fidelity is any worse than any other company. Check out the Forum on USAA, is it worse than that????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Walpole, New Hampshire

88 months ago

As an employee it's almost our God given right to complain, unless you are gossiping and happen to work for Hooksett, NH. Not all companies are run as badly as Fidelity, some companies actually train their managers and reward managers for successfully training employees to be successful. Fidelity seems to reward managers for setting up employees for failure. Not a good way to run a business by an means. The training you receive from Fidelity is top notch to be sure, but the garbage you have to put up with in order to learn is dismal. Thank God I had good managers while I was there, actually I had TWO good managers out of approximately 7 or 8 managers. There were so many it's difficult remembering them all. If you have a good manager then you truly are fortunate, if, however, you are stuck with a dud, keep your head down and stick with it until the next shift bid because things can only get better. Wow, I almost sound optimistic about working for Fidelity~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jazz in Jacksonville, Florida

88 months ago

I was wondering if anyone has every worked or is currently working in Fidelity's QA department. I wanted to look into that area but I hear so many bad things about this company that I am afraid that I will be making a bad choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee in Jacksonville, Florida

88 months ago

I meant to say I paid $45 a week for 2 people. I forgot about my Husband.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bands in Atlanta, Georgia

88 months ago

who does this job report to? Director or Sr VP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jazz in Jacksonville, Florida

88 months ago

Not totally sure, but I think that it reports to Director. It's really hard to believe that this position will report to VP since it's not a lead position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee in Amherst, New Hampshire

88 months ago

Existing Employee in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I laugh when reading the posts made regarding Fidelity. Fidelity is a large company and just like any large company there are some politics involved. However if you are hard working and do more than your job description it is easy to get a head. I have seen it on many occasions where temps are Vice Presidents 5-10 years later making 100K, 200K or more a year. for the person in Jacksonville. Try putting in more effort than just your normal 8 hours and you might see yourself getting ahead as well. Regarding benefits. This June they will match 7% + 10% profit sharing. free money management in 401k, computer discounts discounts on travel and 10K a year on tuition reimbursement. I have had many friends who thought the grass was greener on the other side and ended up coming back to Fidelity just a short while later

I worked for Fidelity for quite a few years, pulling an average of 50 hours/week. I came in early, stayed late and worked weekends, just to get my clients needs under control. While I have to say that (like in any workplace) there are positive and negative employees, as a whole, Fidelity is very political. I saw people walked out for comments made on their lunch breaks, off-site. I saw customer service representatives who had worked for the company for 7 years be walked out due to three "strikes" in six months. A strike is an error in a phone call, sometimes as little as not mentioning the customer's name enough times during the course of a call.
I was let go due to overstaffing, along with at least 10 others. Many of us had tenure and were due for raises at our next reviews. Instead, the company hired 12 people off the streets to replace us, as it was cheaper than paying the raises.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Walpole, New Hampshire

88 months ago

I have to laugh when I read comments regarding Fidelity from existing employees. Yes Fidelity is a large company but other large companies are just as large and are run much more efficiently, Harvard Pilgrim, Delta Dental and GE come to mind as good examples in this area. Just because you are hard working and do more than your job description does not guarantee that you get "a head", I assume you meant "ahead". Fidelity is not a good examply of how this industry works and people who leave are shocked at how different it is in the "real world" and not surprisingly they flee back to a safe, sheltered environment. It's very tough out here to make a living what with compliance, attracting new clients, state v SEC RIA registration, which platforms to use, fund, stock, ETF and fixed income selcections, estate planning and cost basis issues, tax problems and on and on. The challenges are worth it no matter the role you wish to play, producer v operations etc. We have over $70MM and earn a great living indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

HRW in Braintree, Massachusetts

88 months ago

I worked in the Boston location for several years and unfortunately concur with all negative comments. They do restructure their business units often, so expect to have a new manager, office location, and/or job description at least every 1.5 years. They also hire many contractors, so there is a strong disposible workforce mentality. They collect formal employee satisfaction surveys periodically, but don't act on them. (One of my managers scored 2.7 out of 5, but was promoted a year later.) They also go in for a lot of hokey "team building" stuff. The poster who stated that "politics is your job" is absolutely correct. I was stunned to see that this was true even in my purely technical position. The more savvy managers don't supervise your work, they monitor your image.

On the upside, the benefits and perks are probably competitive, although raises are insubstantial. The meetings are also often catered, so there's free food to be had. They also sponsor charity events regularly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Davison MI in Davison, Michigan

88 months ago

Merrimack, NH in Woburn, Massachusetts said: I have to disagree with the person writing that "if you do more than your asked " you will get ahead. I worked 60hrs a week as a "temp" for Fidelity for just about two years. They shipped almost all of my teams work ( health and insurance)to India. Then I got let go. After 60hrs a week, several different projects going at the same time. I got absolutely nothing out of the deal. My manager had told me that " if it were up to him he would hire me" When it came down to my last week, my manager hired another temp ( younger and cuter). I confronted my manager, and his reply was " I said I would hire you if I could, I never said you were my first choice". Is that a place you want to work? Constantly with one foot on a banana and your neck in a nuse? Good Luck!

These remarks about Fidelity are interesting. I never worked for Fidelity but did apply online for a Pension Analyst job. Your analogy at the end of your comment is humorous, but it would be more effective with proper spelling [ "noose" instead of "nuse"].

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

10 year employee in Merrimack, New Hampshire

88 months ago

Yup - politics are a day to day event. But the rewards and opportunities at Fidelity are very high. Fidelity rewards hard work. They have high expectations but give you all the tools and training to succeed. With over 40K employees working in roles from phone centers to investing it is a very diverse companies. Opportunities exist to work in countries all over the world. As others have stated, the training is top notch.

Keep in mind that Fidelity is made up of 40+ companies, from phone centers, to stocks & bonds, to a limo company to a catering company. And is privately held. I know of several individuals who started on the phones or other entry positions who now hold SR positions including at least one VP. There are many females at the top of the organization as well as members of many non-white races.

Fidelity tries very hard to be sure it’s employees are treating their customers data as confidential. They have numerous education programs along this line and take very seriously any acts that may open them up to being viewed as anything less than reliable. Employees that venture outside the rules are dealt with quickly, whether it be to due with clients information or doing/saying anything in the workplace that impacts others.

Is it the best place in the world to work – no, but after 10 years, I am overall very happy and wish you good luck on your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

John W. in Boston, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Never worked there, but been in the industry for > 20 years and all indicatation from many friends are to stay away. Why would they have so many openings if it were a great place? Turnover is high and they burnout employees. They're too big to have any impact and all day long is meetings and documentation. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

1 year employee in Middleboro, Massachusetts

87 months ago

I also agree with the posters who have negative comments about Fidelity and the political corporate environment.

I recently worked for Fidelity in Boston and after a 20 year career, this was the only company I have worked for where I dreaded going in every day and could only last a year. My experience/department was not a good one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

George in Cary, North Carolina

87 months ago

Does anyone have anything positive to say about Fidelity?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

zoom in Frisco, Texas

87 months ago

Heidi in Colleyville, Texas said: Did you go to this interview? I am one tomorrow for the same position, just interested in your experience.

me too! have any of you officially started this position??? i have been given the run around about a start date for a month now. at first i felt excited about the opportunity but now i am not so sure because i have not been getting very much positive feedback on the overall company atmosphere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zoom in Frisco, Texas

87 months ago

SJS in Dallas TX in Dallas, Texas said: I am considering a job at the Call Center near Dallas TX. I will have my first "interview" tomorrrow. It is in the 401K call center. Does anyone have any insight in what it is like there?

did you accept the position???? i am just courious. i went on the same interview and was asked to come aboard. i was very excited about the opportunity at first until i kept getting an unsure anwser on when the start date would be and also started hearing negative feedback about the company from others. now i am uncertain if i want to start work there... any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karl in Cary, North Carolina

87 months ago

I joined Fidelity 3 months ago. And can honestly say without a doubt this is the worst company I've ever worked for in my 10 years. Heed my advice stay away! What keeps me motivated everyday is being able to say good bye to Fidelity soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Spoken like a true cubicle dweller! I broke free of those bonds and free of the Aspect phone and it's a wonderful life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

The style of dress runs the gamut from suits at the corporate level to business at the branches to khakis and knit shirts at the phone centers. Once in a while jeans are allowed on special days and once in a while shorts etc. during "theme" days. That's what it was like when I was there at any rate. I'd be interested in knowing the real reason the high level managers have been leaving. A friend of mine left Fidelity last week after being there for over three years because his manager was giving him a hard time about needing time off to care for his special needs daughter. What was even more shocking was that the HR department gave him no support in trying to care for his daughter. It would not bother me so much but I have known him for about six years and his daughter is an absolute joy, she just happens to be special needs. Any company that doesn't stand behind a single Dad, or any parent for that matter, gets big demerits in my book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

George in Cary, North Carolina

87 months ago

Karl in Cary, North Carolina said: I joined Fidelity 3 months ago. And can honestly say without a doubt this is the worst company I've ever worked for in my 10 years. Heed my advice stay away! What keeps me motivated everyday is being able to say good bye to Fidelity soon.

Karl - what type of position did you take and why is it the worst company? I am thinking about accepting a position at fidelity and am looking for as much feedback as possible. Theres gotta be more than 38 people working there who could post something here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Cary, North Carolina

87 months ago

I was just offered a management position with fidelity in Cary. However I am not sure I am going to accept the position after reading all your comments. Is there anything positive about Fidelity?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NKU in Cincinnati, Ohio

87 months ago

Does anyone have any comments about Fidelity's campus in Covington, KY? What is the work culture like there? Is there less politics because KY is far from Boston?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kathryn in Charlotte, North Carolina

87 months ago

I have interviews scheduled for a Management position, Ive heard the interview process is grueling and unless you have spotless credit you will not be considered.
I also heard that there is no work/life balance and the culture is rather stiff. Can anyone confirm?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BKS in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

My friend started working at Fidelity in Westlake about 4 months ago. She is a workaholic. She is already starting to feel burnout and loads of stress.

She does not have children, yet. I think she will have her attitude about work/life balance change once she has a child.

Currently, she is working 60+ hours a week. She does not take her lunches away from her desk because her managers do watch that. We are going to lunch next Monday because she is a taking the day off.

It is funny because she literally works across the street from me.

Anyway, I think the environment is highly competitive. She does have alot of good things to say. I can tell from knowing her for almost 10 years now that her work-life balance is out of whack, even for her -- a workaloholic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

A friend of mine was working in the 401(k) department in Merrimack and he kept saying that the job was nothing more than being a slave in a white collar sweat shop. The voluntary mandatory overtime was something that used to get to him. Try working 40 hours a week and you're look upon as being a slacker. He ended up quitting and now works for an RIA in Manchester, NH making more money and working less hours. There is life after Fidelity. They do, however, have a great training program. For some people working on the phones day in and day out is great but for many of us it was limiting and not the career job we'd prefer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SC in Franklin, Massachusetts

87 months ago

I worked for Fidelity Investments for 2 years and then moved out of state. I did not have the best experience, I believe Fidelity does have a lot they can improve on in regards to employee satisfaction. The micro-managing was unbearable! There was mandatory overtime, each employee had to work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week for an indefinite amount of time, there were politics and backstabbing. Things that happen at most companies.
The good news is that I have a new job now which I LOVE and appreciate so much, but I don't think I would love it as much if I didn't have my experience at Fidelity. I learned a lot about the "real world" and relationships in the work place. There is hope after Fidelity : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jacy in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

I have been working at Fidelity since April 2007. I started on the phones in authentication and a month later they had me training to be a license representative. I am thrilled to be working at Fidelity and think that this has been a great opportunity!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Pissed off in Apopka, Florida

87 months ago

I was hired by Veritude for Fidelity. After asking the manager multiple times about her budget, she assured me that her budget has never been cut. The day that I resigned from my current position, is the same day I received an email telling me that due to budget cuts that Fidelity is canceling the position that I was suppose to start on Monday.

Needless to say, I am back at my old company and is happy. A blessing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JIm in Boston, Massachusetts

87 months ago

I am a former employee, and I will tell you that you better watch your back at Fidelity. Everyone is out for themselves, and no one is you friend there. I stayed for 6 months, got a 2500 referral bonus( only reason I stayed)and I have now been happily employed under the Citi Umbrella for 6 years. Fidelity is a horrible ugly place to work, and many of the employees are miserable. My average work day was 8AM - 8PM, if I left prior to that people would looke at me like I had an additional head.
No life work balance at all.

Fidelity is a burn them and churn them type of place to work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

B Franklin in Worcester, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Used to work in FIDO for 16 years in IT group on the Institutional Side... Poorly managed... Super political... Disorganized... No direction... Every man for himself mentality. Most, not all, managers are know nothing know it alls, and often contradict themselves, and don't even know it. No accountability at higher management levels - they keep screwing up, get transferred to another role, and then the department they left get's crushed and burned. And as of late, all the senior leadership team is jumping ship, either going to the competition, or just walking away... what does that say... This culture comes down from the top... what a mess! No wonder Fidelity keeps losing position in the market place, and has a 25 to 30% turn over rate... If you want a good 2 year learning experience to see how it should not be done, sign up and learn...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up with Fido in Burleson, Texas

87 months ago

I worked there for five years, first as a registered rep and then in the training group. I have to agree with the majority of comments here. In training they told us that our job was not to "shag calls" but to service the customer no matter how long it took. Then on the floor we would get penalized for not being able to complete a complex call in under 6 minutes. They would also keep cramming more and more requirements into each call every time some genius at the top came up with a new idea. Same six minutes, but more and more ridiculous canned-sounding crap to insert into each interaction. Then, when I was in the training group, there were no clear requirements for success/failure. I constantly got the highest reviews from my students and observers on things like technical competence, organization, presentation, etc., but getting ahead was all about WHO you knew, not WHAT you knew. There were no objective standards at all for advancement; just vague phrases from management about "being more collaborative" and "not being ready", etc. If you want a true picture of Fidelity, try reading DILBERT! The similarities are uncanny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beatis2 in Raleigh, North Carolina

87 months ago

For many companies that I've come across, targeted bonuses are rarely met. I've heard that Fidelity's bonus target is 20%. How close to that do they get most years? I've worked for a fortune 10 company and stressed what their bonus target/potential is, but you were lucky to get half that amount.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former EE and loving it! in Cincinnati, Ohio

86 months ago

I left Fido about 6 months ago and I am so glad! Say what you want, but there is a definite glass ceiling there for women and those who don't kiss up. I was on the phones for 5+ years and then went to marketing (yes, I was one of the lucky ones-hardly!) My marketing manager was so worried about her own image that she wasn't about to help develop me. I thought that I would be happy there once I got off the phones, but it seemed even worse. I stuck it out for about 2 years and then went to another financial services company. People at the new company actually respect the fact that I am a working mother and don't expect me to work 55+ hrs/week. Also, I am making alot more money. Bottom line is this--Fido is a great place to start your career, but get out after 5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ben F in Worcester, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Regarding Fidelity bonus. I think you are referring to the annual bonus? Each grade has a bonus pool with a quoted maximum, but... that's not the # that pays out... typically, the "pool" only get's funded at 75% to 85% of the quoted amount, so for example, if you're in a work group that has 20 people, all at the same grade, and the bonus pool for that grade is 20%, it'll probably be funded at 17% of the base salaries for the group. You as an individual could come out at the full 20% of your base pay, but that of course means someone else took a hit...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.