Working for 5/3 Bank

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 71)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Matt in Saint Louis, Missouri

86 months ago

Extremely high sales quotas means bonuses are a myth. Very employee unfriendly. Be prepared to be worked like a dog with little reward or recognition. Stereotypical "corporate environment" they will dispose of you like a used tissue. They are all about sales at any cost and the customer's welfare or their employees is not of their concern.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

DB in Mason, Ohio

85 months ago

In the fall of 2004, Fifth Third bank announced its takeover of First National Bank of Florida in Naples (some people had left good jobs to come work at First National just a week before the announcement). Fifth Third announced that it would be about four months for the merger to be completed and layoffs to occure. That it would appreciate people to remain working hard up to the last day and then they would receive a severance package (which turned out to be about 2 weeks pay, but that is beside the point).

Many employees were supporting families and could not afford to take chances so they looked for other positions. Some people found them.

As it turned out, everyone at the headquarters, except vice presidents, were laidoff.

Those people who resigned before the last day, even though they gave 2 weeks notice and always received sterling performance reviews, were forever barred from employment with Fifth Third and Human Resources marked them as left without notice or poor performance and ineligible for rehire to take revenge on them, thus screwing them when trying to find future employment.

Please let them know you feel about this unethical behavior.

Scott
Fort Myers, Florida
U.S.A.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SM in Casselberry, Florida

85 months ago

Don't listen to that! Yes it is because we're growing! Fifth Third has very positive momentum and one of the best organizations taht I have ever had a problem of associating with.

Anon in Evansville, Indiana said: If you watch the job sites often you'll see that Fifth Third is always hiring. That's no accident and it's not b/c they are growing all the time. They have horrible turnover and in my opinion it is because they care little for their employees except as a way to direct blame for poor performance away from the top. It's not a happy place to work and the goals are unrealistic as stated above. Matt (above) is also correct in stating they care little for their customers welfare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in East Lansing, Michigan

85 months ago

Anon in Evansville, Indiana said: If you watch the job sites often you'll see that Fifth Third is always hiring. That's no accident and it's not b/c they are growing all the time. They have horrible turnover and in my opinion it is because they care little for their employees except as a way to direct blame for poor performance away from the top. It's not a happy place to work and the goals are unrealistic as stated above. Matt (above) is also correct in stating they care little for their customers welfare.

Fifth Third has a large mortgage department. They have lost about 90% of their loan officers since they bought Old Kent Bank. Fifth Third has unrealistic expections of its employees and departments that are short staffed. The result is over worked, under appreciated employees. It's truly an unpleasant place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CVS in Mason, Ohio

85 months ago

SM in Casselbury, FL has her opinion, however, it is not accurate. Fifth Third has a long history of burning people out, poor customer service, racism and high turnover. Truly good people leave due to good 'ol boy networks deeply established for many years and lack of opportunities. The senior-most executives are the primary problem it seems. Maybe SM in Casselbury FL should wake up and smell the coffee. I hear the bonus plans are impossible to achieve and they are designed that way for most of the employees. Only the big-wigs get the bonuses even when they dont perform. This is not a premiere employer of choice...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rudy in Mason, Ohio

85 months ago

"Another one bites the dust ya'll"

Fifth Third Bancorp Announces Organizational Realignment

CINCINNATI, July 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Kevin T. Kabat, president
and Chief Executive Officer of Fifth Third Bancorp, today announced a
realignment of the Consumer Bank line of business in order to enhance
execution of the Company's strategic priorities and leverage the skills and
roles of its current leadership team.
Terry Zink, executive vice president for Affiliate Administration, will
take on responsibility for Retail and Business Banking, to better align
product development with the Bank's affiliate distribution channels. Greg
Carmichael, executive vice president and Chief Operating Officer, will have
added responsibility for Consumer Lending and Mortgage Banking, and for
delivery of these products with consumer loan operations, which currently
reports to Carmichael. Finally, Robert Sullivan, senior executive vice
president and president of the Greater Cincinnati affiliate, will take on
the added responsibility for the direction of Fifth Third's customer
satisfaction program. Zink, Carmichael and Sullivan will continue to report
to Kevin Kabat.
"The new organizational structure returns us to our original model and
helps us streamline our operations and our effectiveness," said Kabat. "I
have the utmost confidence in Terry, Greg and Bob and in their ability to
take on these expanded roles."
Winston Wilkinson has left the Bank to pursue other opportunities. "We
wish Winston the best of luck in his new pursuits and we thank him for his
contributions," said Kabat. Wilkinson's vacated position will not be
filled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

D. Midha in Mason, Ohio

85 months ago

Exhibit 10

September 26, 2005

HAND DELIVERED

R. Mark Graf

Dear Mark:

This letter reflects the agreement we have reached regarding your resignation
from Fifth Third Bank ("Bank"). For purposes of this letter, Bank includes Fifth
Third Bancorp and all of its parent companies, subsidiaries and affiliates.

The Bank agrees as follows:

1. In exchange for providing transition, advisory and consulting services to
the Bank, you will continue to receive your current salary (less all
customary deductions) through the period ending twelve (12) months from
the Resignation Date (as defined below). After that period, in the event
you have not yet secured other employment and you are willing to continue
to serve in an advisory capacity to the Bank, you will continue to receive
75% of your current salary through the period ending on the earlier of:

(i) eighteen (18) months from the Resignation Date or (ii) until you
secure other employment and are therefore not permitted to serve as an
advisor to the Bank.

2. All of your outstanding Restricted Stock, Stock Options, Stock
Appreciation Rights and Performance Units will be governed by the terms of
the grant and the Fifth Third Bancorp Long Term Incentive Plan or the
Incentive Compensation Plan, whichever is applicable.

3. You may participate in the health and dental care programs provided by the
Bank under the same program currently offered to employees during the
period that you receive payments as an advisor to the Bank. You will be
eligible for COBRA coverage thereafter.

R. Mark Graf ("you") agree as follows:

1. You are resigning as an officer and employee of the Bank effective on the
earlier of: (i) the date which is two weeks after a new Chief Financial
Officer is named by the Bank; or (iii) January 31, 2006. The date that the
earliest of these events occur is defined as the "Resignation Date".

2. In consideration of the benefits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Mason, Ohio

85 months ago

interesting...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

CVS in Mason, Ohio said: SM in Casselbury, FL has her opinion, however, it is not accurate. Fifth Third has a long history of burning people out, poor customer service, racism and high turnover. Truly good people leave due to good 'ol boy networks deeply established for many years and lack of opportunities. The senior-most executives are the primary problem it seems. Maybe SM in Casselbury FL should wake up and smell the coffee. I hear the bonus plans are impossible to achieve and they are designed that way for most of the employees. Only the big-wigs get the bonuses even when they dont perform. This is not a premiere employer of choice...

I can tell you that I, and my team, consistently meet the expectations us and suceed them. I have earned a bonus every quarter available to me. Also, I do not know where you are getting your information but I can assure you that Fifth Third Bank is a GREAT place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

biggbabee in Detroit, Michigan

85 months ago

SM in Casselberry, Florida said: Don't listen to that! Yes it is because we're growing! Fifth Third has very positive momentum and one of the best organizations taht I have ever had a problem of associating with.

They do have very bad customer service and they don't know how to treat people and I think you ment to say had the pleasure of working for not problem!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

pammie

85 months ago

You are so right. That was the worst company I ever worked for. The customers were rude, the employees were rude and I take it because they are under stress and under paid.

I will never work for that company again. Hell, I will not live in Michigan again. No wonder major companies are moving south.

They have the highest turnover because they don't know how to treat their employees. And the managers are like robots. They don't have a back bone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

A.F. in Darien, Connecticut

85 months ago

Really horrible bank.
Been living in different parts of the US in the past 20+ years and thus, banking with many institutions. Fifth Third has the THE WORSE although i was stupid enough to give them the benefit of the doubt and actually stayed with them when i moved from OH to FL then PA. Horrible horrible place full of incompetent people - example - applied for a home credit line, received an appraisal of ~$200K for the house. Didn't really need it and didn't really feel like dealing with it. Then accepted a great out-of-state job offer and sold same house a couple months later and sold it at $400K - buyers received $400K appraisal from their mortgage company - Need i say more. Google the internet and you'll find that 5/3 is in a lot of litigation with a lot of consumers. I feel sorry for SM in Castleberry FL - lots of luck sticking your head in the sand. It may be awhile before you open your eyes. And when you do, you'll remember my words. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Vandalia, Ohio

85 months ago

My Aunt works for 5/3 in Cincy, Ohio and she hates it. I would never want to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

me in Toledo, Ohio

84 months ago

A.F. in Darien, Connecticut said: Really horrible bank.
Been living in different parts of the US in the past 20+ years and thus, banking with many institutions. Fifth Third has the THE WORSE although i was stupid enough to give them the benefit of the doubt and actually stayed with them when i moved from OH to FL then PA. Horrible horrible place full of incompetent people - example - applied for a home credit line, received an appraisal of ~$200K for the house. Didn't really need it and didn't really feel like dealing with it. Then accepted a great out-of-state job offer and sold same house a couple months later and sold it at $400K - buyers received $400K appraisal from their mortgage company - Need i say more. Google the internet and you'll find that 5/3 is in a lot of litigation with a lot of consumers. I feel sorry for SM in Castleberry FL - lots of luck sticking your head in the sand. It may be awhile before you open your eyes. And when you do, you'll remember my words. Good luck!

I understand your frustration and I would probably feel very similar, but find a bank Anywhere that does not have some type of litigation. Go to 3 different companies, (not banks) and you shall also receive 3 different amts for appraisals. Each company has their own policies and the people who work for them are all human and interpret things different from anyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Louisville, Kentucky

84 months ago

I interviewed with 5/3 for a part-time teller position and I am so glad I did not take it. The man who was supposed to interview did not show up for the interview (how professional) and some other clown met with me. He was extremely condescending and rude. I graduated from college and am in graduate school yet he spoke to me like I wouldn't be smart enough to be a bank teller. His main focus was all about sales. Good customer service was not an issue with him, his main focus was to sell sell sell. I will never work for them or do business with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SM in FL

84 months ago

This is a word of advise. DO NOT get involved with this bank as my experience with them clearly demonstrates that the left hand (Sr Level decisionmakers) and the right hand (the doers within the organization) do NOT have control of this bank! NINE people in the section of this downtown regional corporate location left after I did. It pays to check out any organization by contacting several individuals who have worked for an institution before you team up with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Susan H. in Mason, Ohio

84 months ago

The Fifth Third senior executive team is basically an "ol boy" network in Cincinnati.
The bank's minority hiring practices are horrible - just look at the numbers and observe what you see when you walk into their corporate offices around the city...I am a SR HR professional and I can tell you that even the HR staff at Fifth Third has very little minority respresentation. Extremely poor corporate example.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

D. Thomas in Mason, Ohio

84 months ago

The Cincinnati based senior leadership team is a bunch of incompetent sub-performer wash-outs based on what I have seen.
I know alot of people there that cant wait to get the heck out of there... What a joke! Whatever you do, don't get a mortgage loan from these jerks or you will be sorry.

Not to mention, if you do get a loan there, good luck because your original loan officer will probably be gone with 60 days of the loan closing. Turnover is obnoxious at Fifth Third.
Only a complete idiot would be desperate enough to come work for these bozos.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

biggbabee in Detroit, Michigan said: They do have very bad customer service and they don't know how to treat people and I think you ment to say had the pleasure of working for not problem!

I did mean to say pleasure. I honestly do not undersand why it is that only those who are displeased with Fifth Third come to this forum. I can guarantee you, I have friends that have worked for this company many years, and myself, 4 years, who love the way we are treated.

Some of the folks that have been here longer can attest that it was once much worse; I've never had a bad experience in the 4 years that I have been employed by them.

And, RACISM!? Where does that come from? I'm a hispanic female, the Sr. HR Business partner in Central FL is a female, we have minority and female board members and if you could only go to Cinci's operations centers you'll see the diversity of the company.

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience, but it is truly not indicative of the company. Not everyone gets hired, not everyone has what it takes to be successful in an accountability driven culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Dekalb, Illinois

84 months ago

Don't even think of working for this bunch of monkeys. They have absolutely no clue about sound business decisions, not to mention systems that were cutting edege about 1973. They treat both customers and employees like dirt. They don't even role plan out until July and the bonus structure is rediculous!!!!! STAY FAR AWAY!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MA Florida... in Cincinnati, Ohio

84 months ago

I know it says cincy but didn't wnt to register... I have been with 5/3 for over 7 yrs and am LOVING IT I totally agee with SM, 5/3 ROCKS! the people are AWESOME... and care about not only growth of the company but of the EMPLOYEE... I have no qualms about 5/3!!!! Basically if you do your work and desire to EXCEL 5/3 is the place to be!

If you are just looking for a paycheck then please go somewhere else...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

MA Florida... in Cincinnati, Ohio

84 months ago

wish i could edit above... i meant
I agree with SM in Casselberry

I STILL LOVE WORKING FOR 5/3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

GREENS in Cincinnati, Ohio

84 months ago

I worked for them for few years. Yes, they don't treat minorities with diligence. Juniors to me were promoted even though I was working my but off. HR didn't even care why I was leaving. Left the company frustrated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SC in Alpharetta, Georgia

84 months ago

Sorry SM in Casselbury, but the racism issues are huge at Fifth Third and have been historically for both customers and employees.
Believe me, they are aware of it and the public knows it as well.
Maybe you dont go thru it in FL, but it is rampant at this bank. You are not in a position to judge unless you have experienced it for yourself. Maybe you should keep quiet on things you dont know about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

AM in Mason, Ohio

84 months ago

I work for Fifth Third now and I can personnaly tell you it is horrible. The managers are robots and cannot think for themselves. They treat the deposit customers like so poorly and could care less if we lose business over it. I cannot believe I chose to come work here but I feel like I am stuck unless I quit. Once you come onboard, work hard and do your job effectively, you cant seem to post out internally for other jobs beacause HR blocks you and "pins" you into your same position. You feel stuck with no way out. Many people are having to take paycuts and demotions internally just to keep on-board with the bank and they are not happy. It has been happening in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky as well. The retail branches are like merry-go-rounds with revolving staff and new faces every month. Customer are very upset over this.
The mortgage division costs us customers every day with their poor service and rookie, do-nothing loan officers that dont know what it means to service customers. This is a reflection of the leadership within mortgage. I am tired of dealing with upset customers over poor service levels and pulling their accounts and money out of the bank to go somewhere else that appreciates them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PM in Alpharetta, Georgia

84 months ago

Everyone knows that Fifth Third historically has always had extremely bad race issues and still does today.

This is why they cannot attract diverse top talent like other best-in-class financial institutions. When talent does come to Fifth Third, they leave once they see what it's all about. Very Sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

My Name

84 months ago

You are so right! I use to work for 5/3 Bank back in Michigan. I moved back to Virginia and worked for Bank Of America. When a bank person from 5/3 called, I heard her say that BOA customer service are too damn nice.

That is why BOA is growing and attract a diverse of talented people to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

who cares in Downers Grove, Illinois

83 months ago

I have heard nothing but great things about working for 5/3rd, in fact they pay much more than many of the other banks do here in Chicago area. They are expanding rapidly with 30 branches to open this yr and 50 next yr. BOA pays crap wages, and diversity at BOA is questionable since I interviewed with them and was the only non-minority at the group interview (I also had the most experience out of the other 3 as well) but didn't get hired. I must not have been an aide in helping BOA meet a racial employee quota.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Bonuses??? in Columbus, Ohio

83 months ago

The bonus system for Relationship Managers is lucrative, but for the Customer Service Managers (probably the worst Retail job to have) it's the pits. Each month Gallup polls 8 clients who've visited the banking center recently on the service they're received, and their responses are translated into a KDI (Key Driver Index) score. Each branch is rated "A" to "F" monthly. A CSM's quarterly bonus is partly for overall branch sales and partly for an "A" or "B" KDI score, "C" and "D" merit no bonus except whatever you might make from branch sales production. If your branch is graded an "F" however, you get a NEGATIVE BONUS in that the entire bonus for branch sales is wiped out. Many CSM's that otherwise work very hard (and who are also given sales goals to meet which only help the RM's to get paid bigger bonuses) see this as nothing more than an insult because it's based on the tellers' customer service, not the CSM's, and it's based on the poll results of only a very, very small fraction of the client base. The Relationship Manager's bonus is only based on their own performance, not anyone else's where the CSM's bonus is based on how friendly the CSR's are, not the CSM themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Lansing, Michigan

83 months ago

Are you kidding. I would kill to have my friends job at 5/3. She absolutely loves it and said she works for great people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Bonuses??? in Columbus, Ohio

83 months ago

Lori in Lansing, Michigan said: Are you kidding. I would kill to have my friends job at 5/3. She absolutely loves it and said she works for great people.

She's not a CSM I'll bet, and perhaps her manager and team make it a tolerable place. Employees in departments other than Retail seem to have better morale, I'm wondering in which department she works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roger S. in Vickery, Ohio

83 months ago

A great place to be if like drinking the company cool aid!! No place to get promoted to, absolutely no business sense what so ever, and now they are all about the widgets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spider in Cleveland, Ohio

81 months ago

Fifth Third is last bank you want to work for.. trust me.
Our mortgage division in Cleveland is the pits. I hear Cincinnati is no better - the mortgage leadership has drove that department and its people straight to hell in a handbasket.
What a bunch of clowns...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spider in Cleveland, Ohio

81 months ago

Matt in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Extremely high sales quotas means bonuses are a myth. Very employee unfriendly. Be prepared to be worked like a dog with little reward or recognition. Stereotypical "corporate environment" they will dispose of you like a used tissue. They are all about sales at any cost and the customer's welfare or their employees is not of their concern.

Very racist banking culture at Fifth Third. They do not like to lend to minorities. They do not actively hire minorities in senior level roles across the organization. This is fact...Read your history...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

John in Mason, Ohio

80 months ago

Fifth Third Mortgage is managed by a bunch of incompetent jerks..
You would well advised to steer clear of these monkeys if you want a good mortgage loan and dont want to get ripped off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Who_Cares in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

Some of this stuff is just plain out bothersome...

I don't see many racial issues here, infact I work w/ quite a few minorities at my location who are top performers in my affiliate. Racism? I don't see it, but honestly I'm sure it exists, but unfortunatly it exists everywhere in any industry look around.

They tend to not lend to minorities? Everyone knows that loans depend on FICO scores, I'm sure the FDIC doesn't let any finacial institution get away with that. You obviously don't know bank regulations.

While it's sad that people lost their jobs in FL, you implied that most of the people who were let go came from the corporate level. If you are working at that level for a while you are making a good amount of money and have qualifications, therefore those people who were "black listed" probably have enough money to last them a while, i don't think those VP's will be hungry. Also they will probably land another high paying job if their qualifications are good.

I also want to give a shout out to the gentleman who complained about his HELOC and the appraisal value of his home. I'm impressed that durring this horrible housing market issue that you were able to sell your home for the appraised value of 400K, wow! Very unrare in todays time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

gigiwestover in Michigan

78 months ago

I just got laid off from 5/3rd, even though I have had excellent reviews and met all my goals, I even recvd bonus every quarter, they took huge loses this year and that was why they said they were laying me off. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gigiwestover in Michigan

78 months ago

P.S. the loses were not even in my department and I am a minority and not part of the good ol' boys club.

Ugh!! I regret I ever started working for them.

Oh and I forgot to mention that they laid me off my first week back from maternity leave. Nice!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pappy Buc in Orlando, Florida

77 months ago

Hi Gigi...

Same thing happened to us last week. Wife laid off...met and exceeded goals...got bonuses quarterly including the year end one...great reviews...the works!!!

She even turned down opportunities at two other institutions last year!!! She regrets that now! BTW, she's also a minority...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

SM in Casselberry, Florida said: I can tell you that I, and my team, consistently meet the expectations us and suceed them. I have earned a bonus every quarter available to me. Also, I do not know where you are getting your information but I can assure you that Fifth Third Bank is a GREAT place to work.

Hi SM,

Hear about the layoffs last week? Well, we felt them. And that was after stellar performances and a FULL pipeline. I guess the hard work put into that pipeline will go to the ones that are still there, who's take the money, get their payouts and then bail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I meant "who'll" take their money, and NOT "who's take..."
Apologies.

Also, my wife felt the same way about the bank as a couple of the posters here do (loyal/diehard employee) until a week and one day ago. Head came out (or rather, was YANKED!) out of the sand pretty fast! Oh well, life goes on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S M in Casselberry in Casselberry, Florida

77 months ago

I heard about the layoffs, and they are indeed unfortunate but due to the current climate in banking. I have two friends that could possibly loose their jobs, but I nonetheless understand the cuts.

I am loosing a valued staff member, but she's getting a generous severance package and assistance finding a new job.

Layoffs and cuts such as these are the way of the world and should be taken in stride.

Most likely, the reason your wife was chosen was due to her pay more than anything else, that's was the rationale behind the CSR that we lost in our financial center.

I still think Fifth Third is a great place to work; they are just preparing for what will be a challenging year for our industry.

SM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Wasn't pay...there was more money made by others in her dept AS WELL as others with lower pay (same positions).

I work in a corp environment and totally understand layoffs. There are, however, legit reasons given to employees. None was given in this case (we can assume several reasons, though).

You could, at least, tell your CSR the reason for the cut. It's a lot easier than just an "Oh well, it is what it is." Also, the package really isn't that good and by assistance finding work, I hope you don't mean getting laid off staff in touch with a company that shows you how to write cover letters and format your resume?

I would love to discuss more but am unable to do so at this time. What I have to say would totally discredit the "current climate" comment and I'm sure you would agree once I pointed it out, but we'll have to go over that some other time.

In the meantime, good luck with your career at 5/3 and I hope all stays well with you. I wouldn't wish what we're going through on anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tric in FL in Florida

77 months ago

Y'all - we should all move to Casselberry with SM to drink what ever is in that water! What a load of crap. This place is the worst. Yes, they laid off people in Fl. They were the lowest paid support people who were all desperately needed as there is such a shortage of staff in those positions already. In fact those of us who are left are so overworked it's pathetic. It's no wonder that people complain about the service; it's impossible to keep up let alone expand your knowledge and dare I say it - advance?!
Oh and let's talk money why don't we? All of this going on and the CFO gets a $6 million bonus for 2007? WTF? We can't even order supplies half the time. Oh and have you gotten your huge 2% raise yet for busting your a**? We are constantly asked to work more for less. They call it "employee engagement" or "teamwork." HA! It's a one way proposal. No rewards only more of the same crap. I would totally understand cutting back if we ALL had to sacrifice. Since I can't afford to quit with the way things are, I pray they'd lay me off and give me my severence package. UGH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ChristopherTruth in Maryland Heights, Missouri

77 months ago

They recently entered the St. louis Market and they have almost completely turned over their entire staff in that time. They treat their employees here at least like dirt, and Could care less about any of their employees. The management here I guess never learned the Human aspect of Management, and aslo did not realize that even though St. Louis is a fairly biug city, It is know ans the Largest Small town for a reason. Everyoen her is very social and there is a high degree of networking and socializing done here. No matter what part of St. louis you live in everyone knows at least a friend of everyone else. This treating their employees like garbage has really built a poor reputaion for them in a City where banking is highly competative. I think that their chances here are doomed primarily because of that. They try running their branches with two people open to close and expect you to do Networking events in the evenings and weekends. They expect a minimum of 60 hours worked a week, and no matter how well you do, they are on your ass like a hemroid, and have absolutley no appreciation for your accomplishments. Do NOT WORK FOR 5/3 Bank in St. Louis. It will be short lived, and it will be a nightmare. Employees from other 5/3 affiliates have come here and have quit or gone back to their old regions shortly after arriving. <name removed> is a monster. If you work for this company you will later wish you listened to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

observant in Orlando, Florida

76 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking for someone who previously worked for 5/3 Bank in the Orlando market that would be willing to chat. I'm a reporter doing a story talking about all the layoffs banks are making in our market. I don't necessarily need to name any names in my story, I'm just looking for someone who can tell me how many people were cut and when .
If you'd like to help give me a call at 407-241-2894.
Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

News Man in Cleveland, Ohio

76 months ago

What a bunch of clowns in leadership positions at the cincinnati affilliate. The mortgage and consumer lending executives there have run the good people out and driven the operation straight to hell... Reputation in that city is poor compared to PNC, NCB and US Bank.

Fifth Third is laying off droves of people in Cincinnati, Florida and other midwest cities. Per an HR insider, over 10,000 are getting laid off in small numbers weekly to stay out of the media circles. Most get little to no warning with insulting severance packages on the way out.

Find another place to work cause this place is not an employer of choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D4kiplinger in kalamazoo, Michigan

76 months ago

Fifth Third is a sham. I will tell you that I work at a competitor bank. I banked with fifth third for 4 years before ending up with my current position. The facts: fifth third cares nothing about their employees or more importantly their customers, they charge you a dollar just to withdraw $300 or more of your own money, automatic holds are placed on deposits of checks drawn off of their bank, I know several former employees who have backed me on this and say everybody is 'jumping ship", they are heavily caught up in the subprime loan crisis. Need I say more? Find a customer service oriented bank that cares about you, the customer. They are out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mkvgtired in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

The sexism is incredible. One manager went so far as to send naked pictures of himself to another female employee. When asked why she did not turn him in she said, "because he has a daughter". Another employee informed HR about the incident and also mentioned that that manager used to call employees with comments like "nice t*its" and "your a** looks great in those pants". He is in the good ol' boy club and continues to work for the bank. HR's "investigation" turned up nothing of course. In a 6 month period 5 financial center managers quit...out of 13 in the region. That is just FCMs not CSMs or any other employees, they are all jumping ship as well. They threaten people with comments on the conference calls such as, "tell your people if they dont want to sell, other banks are laying a lot of people off and im sure they would be happy to sell". There was just a massive layoff right as this article came out: dayton.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2008/03/03/daily13.html?ana=yfcpc

You are expected to stay after for call nights AT LEAST 3 times per week, until 7 or 7:30 (keep in mind most of these people were there at 7:30 am so they can finish paperwork). My manager offered me a promotion and a raise (me being the idiot that I am took his word for it) then when it was time to pay me more money he pretended like he never said anything. I called HR and was told basically “tough you will have to wait for a job to open up so you can post for it”.. The immediate people I worked with were GREAT and I still hang out with them. It is not the people it is the company. The people that like their jobs there I would advise not to move/take a promotion/etc. because you have found a very rare place in that company. Good luck to all the people that still work there, hang in there even with a bad economy you will still find something better eventually. Nothing will happen to the good ol boys club so if you don’t plan to be in it you might want to work somewhere else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ALLAN RICH in north royalton, Ohio

75 months ago

All the comments i read about 5/3 employes are true.the could care less about customes service.i had to call several times to get a payment sent from a closed account, and credited to the right account.at least 4 people told me"i will take care of it for you,i am so sorry for the mistake"nothing was done.it took my advising them i was cancelling all my accounts for someone to do something.and the were reluctant to reverse the late fee's.i am shopping for a new bank as we speak....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.