What's the company culture at First Data?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at First Data?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at First Data?

Reply - Report abuse

cyberlis in California

85 months ago

Personally, my experience has not been favorable. They work you to death and give nothing in return. (So much for the Friday Happy Hour after work…) Everyone is required--at least at my location--to dress in business attire. No jeans, t-shirts, or casual clothes except on Friday.

Anyone below that of a Director is generally treated poorly. I cannot say that the work environment is professional either. Part of the reason for this is due to all the changes that take place on a month-to-month basis. For instance, the company loves to change department and group names. For some reason, they seem to think that by changing the name of a department or group that it will have a positive affect on its success. It appears to be a status issue as well. Ultimately, it gets so confusing because there are no formal announcements made of these changes. Often, staff members outside the group are totally unaware of these changes for months, or longer.

Another issue I found was that many executives (i.e. Directors and above) appear to covet information—often times failing to respond to emails or telephone messages. I have never worked at a company where so many people were complacent and failed to respond to work-related inquiries prior to my working at FDC.

Also, if one is looking for stability in employment, then this is not the company to work for. Layoffs are prevalent—which makes for an extremely stressful work environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ECart in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

they work you like dogs and feed you like pigs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GoWest in Englewood, Colorado

74 months ago

I worked in their Procurement Organization led by a SVP who has been there for a long time and started in the technology side of the house. She is an absolute tyrant who killed innovation, new ideas and basic common sense-- these were seen as threats to her job. The work environment is very unprofessional and very abrasive. This was the most reactive, fire drill company that I have ever seen. On a daily basis, I was shocked by the severe immaturity of senior management and the lack of simple decency and respect to its employees. Their executive level group yells, screams and curses (F bombs are very common)at the top of their lungs to "keep everyone in line." They actually enjoyed to belittle the workforce and make examples of people in large forums. Turn over is very high and the group that is running the company has been in place for a long time and encourages this abusive and degrading behavior from its management level. I rarely use words like "evil", "diabolical" and "hateful" to describe people running a company, but these words fit First Data to a "T". In short, this is an awful place to work. The management really enjoyed inflicting pain and embarrassment on the employees-- especially the tyrant from procurement. Talent and intelligence are not appreciated (doubt they would even know what those are!). I strongly caution anyone who is considering employment with this company -- BEWARE, CAUTION, TURN BACK--- before it's too late.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Abigailpatton in Brentwood, Tennessee

59 months ago

cyberlis in California said: Personally, my experience has not been favorable. They work you to death and give nothing in return. (So much for the Friday Happy Hour after work…) Everyone is required--at least at my location--to dress in business attire. No jeans, t-shirts, or casual clothes except on Friday.

Anyone below that of a Director is generally treated poorly. I cannot say that the work environment is professional either. Part of the reason for this is due to all the changes that take place on a month-to-month basis. For instance, the company loves to change department and group names. For some reason, they seem to think that by changing the name of a department or group that it will have a positive affect on its success. It appears to be a status issue as well. Ultimately, it gets so confusing because there are no formal announcements made of these changes. Often, staff members outside the group are totally unaware of these changes for months, or longer.

Another issue I found was that many executives (i.e. Directors and above) appear to covet information—often times failing to respond to emails or telephone messages. I have never worked at a company where so many people were complacent and failed to respond to work-related inquiries prior to my working at FDC.

Also, if one is looking for stability in employment, then this is not the company to work for. Layoffs are prevalent—which makes for an extremely stressful work environment.

Not a good place to work at all. Credit card industry is the same as Loan Shark industry. Don't go there. I did and it was awful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.