Teaching at Florida Career College

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Star in Saint Petersburg, Florida

88 months ago

For anyone who is interested in applying for a teaching position with FCC - I had a horrible experience applying and accepting a job with Florida Career College. The person who interviewed me was terribly unprofessional and was underqualified for her position. When I decided not to accept the position, my interviewer emailed me letting me know that "I was full of crap, just like my resume".
A word to the wise, if you are seeking a professional career teaching massage therapy - I would suggest you look elsewhere. It is not worth the time and effort of a career professional to deal with incompetent individuals such as these.
In addition, it's always good to look at the whole picture. The training program at FCC is geared towards getting the students in and out as fast as possible. To me, a very industrialized way of teaching massage. It was my experience that the additude that FCC promotes for thier students, does not fall far from who they hire as instructors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie in Saint Petersburg, Florida

88 months ago

I agree. My experience with FCC was bad too. I was treated like an idiot and never recieved a return phone call regarding the position. They really strung me along for a long time, almost like they were waiting to see how many instructors they needed. They do a nice job of telling you that you will teach for a decent amount of money and will have certain benefits, but I don't think that it's worth stooping to a level of unprofessionalism like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

what a joke in Boynton Beach, Florida

86 months ago

the college that cares? i have many years in the business plus a college degree. apparently that's not good enough for them. the person who interviewed me was unprofessional and dumb as dirt...go figure. also, it seems their clinic time doesn't exist much. they also force students into a 2 year degree program so they don't have the basic massage class option. if any of them want to transfer to a university they will be in for a rude awakening when none of their classes are accepted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Just an Ex teacher in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

85 months ago

what a joke in Boynton Beach, Florida said: the college that cares? i have many years in the business plus a college degree. apparently that's not good enough for them. the person who interviewed me was unprofessional and dumb as dirt...go figure. also, it seems their clinic time doesn't exist much. they also force students into a 2 year degree program so they don't have the basic massage class option. if any of them want to transfer to a university they will be in for a rude awakening when none of their classes are accepted.
I taught at FCC for a while the school is not very good i ended up quitting and told some of the student they should go elsewhere. Well besides the fact they recruit from prisons and don;t really have a formal entrance exam they have a terrible teaching format. Most of the students could not go to a formal university or community college and they are treated like they are in high school. The most ignorant thing I saw was the award of perfect attendance being given and the student where told to bring them to interviews. I don't no my best day was quiting this insitution but am finding that this might be a norm with these money making colleges. Another shameful thing is they take advantage of inner city black and hispanic students creating a huge bill for them and then leaving them unemployeed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

85 months ago

Guide

what a joke in Boynton Beach, Florida said: the college that cares? i have many years in the business plus a college degree. apparently that's not good enough for them. the person who interviewed me was unprofessional and dumb as dirt...go figure. also, it seems their clinic time doesn't exist much. they also force students into a 2 year degree program so they don't have the basic massage class option. if any of them want to transfer to a university they will be in for a rude awakening when none of their classes are accepted.

They were interested in me for a Career Services Position in Tampa (I have one at another school at this time.) The job they offered was truly a step down and I politely declined. VERY glad that happened!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lady soul g in Miami, Florida

85 months ago

fcc Has taken advantage of me and alot of student it seam that they give you classes just to give you classes they dont devote the time to you if you are having a problem with the teacher or if the teacher has a problemm with you they dont ever go around your scedual and most of all they over charge you $370 a credit if not more by now they over charged me for too classes wile i was on a leave of absense and now they probably charged me for another 2 since i signed the paper stating i would never be back. Instead of the college that cares it should be the college that wants to rip a hole in your pocket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

denise in Bradenton Beach, Florida

45 months ago

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ATTENDED FLORIDA CAREER COLLEGE LOCATED IN CLEARWATER,FL AND MY EXPERIENCE WAS OKAY AT FIRST UNTIL I STARTED HAVING PERSONAL PROBLEMS. . THEY WANTED US TO MAKE $100 PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH AND WHEN I WAS HAVING TROUBLE MAKING PAYMENTS I WAS HARASSED ABOUT IT. CONSTANTLY CALLED TO THE BURSERS OFFICE. NOT THAT THEY CARED ABOUT MY PERSONAL PROBLEMS THEY JUST WANTED MONEY!!! AND WHEN I DECIDED TO TRY AND TRANSFER I FOUND OUT MY CREDITS WERE NOT TRANSFERRABLE. AND FOR STUDENTS WHO DO NOT HAVE A DIPLOMA AND HAVE A GED THEY ONLY ACCEPT CERTAIN ONES OR YOU WILL HAVE SOME MAJOR PROBLEMS AT THE END ONCE THEY HAVE GOTTEN MOST OF YOUR MONEY AND GRADUATION IS NEAR.THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SAM WAS FULL OF IT HE FEEDS EVERY NEWCOMER THE SAME STORY HE WILL OFFER YOU A JOB THERE TO HELP YOU OUT AND HE ATE POTATOES AND LIVED OUT HIS CAR FOR A WHILE. LIES!!!!!!! HE IS VERY RUDE AND WILL FORCE HIS OPINION ON YOU AND DOESN'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY. THE LADY WHO RECRUITED ME TO STAY HAS NOT ONCE SPOKEN TO ME SINCE I STARTED. SHE WALKS RITE BY ME. MOST OF THE TEACHERS HAVE FLINGS WITH THE STUDENTS OR A COWORKER. ALOT OF UNPROFESSIONALISM THERE I WOULDNT RECOMMEND IT. . DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON A $17,380 LOAN&GRANT FOR 1 YEAR ON A DIPLOMA PROGRAM NOT WORTH IT. ALOT OF STUDENTS HAVE DROPPED OUT. MAKE SURE YOU DO A SCHOOL RATINGS CHECK AND MAKE SURE YOUR CREDITS ARE TRANSFERRABLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FCC Graduate in Boca Raton, Florida

45 months ago

I have a somewhat different story than what everyone is saying here. I graduated from the West Palm Beach campus and did the A.S. Computer Network Engineer progam. I actually learned a lot there and as a matter of fact, I earned four industry cerifications as well - Microsoft MCP, A+, Network+ and CWNA. On top of that, they hire students to work in their IT department to gain "real world experience", and I had asked to help out for free an hour or two a week so I could put that on my resume. As soon as one of the students graduated, they hired me part time and I actually got paid to work for FCC's IT dept. while also attending school there. I found a job in the IT industry one month after I graduated, doing exactly what I went to FCC for and have been in the IT industry for going on 6 years now. So I would say for me, it was worth it because I'm making more money now than I ever have.

On the other hand, I did see a lot of what people are saying here as well. They signed up anybody and told you you'd be successful and get a job when you're done. There were a lot of inner city type people like others have mentioned, who didn't put in any effort other than just showing up, and not even very often at that. And I doubt any of these people got a job other than working in Wal Mart after they graduated. As such, the teachers didn't bother trying to help these people and I benefited from that because they put all their focus on me and the one or two other people that were in my class who actually wanted to learn as much as possible. So from my experience, it seems that what you put into it is what you will get out of it. So if you decide to go there and follow the path I did, then it might be worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

agree with star in Winter Springs, Florida

14 months ago

I was interviewed by the same unprofessional and because I didn't kiss the floor she walked on when it was time for them to let go of instructors because there where more instructors then students she made up this big story as to why I was laid off versus the person who was less credentialed. They give the students the answers to everything test, exams, etc even the CBCS so the school looks smart. Don't apply unless they get rid of their current Academic Dean, who hired her anyways

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.