How to get a job at Florida Power & Light.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

Do you work at Florida Power & Light? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

moose2950 in Alpharetta, Georgia

85 months ago

FPL is a great company. I worked for FPL for 9 years and I'm looking to go back. The first time I responded to a job posting and this time I'm using my contacts and the FPL careers website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

81 months ago

Like most jobs - submitting a resume online won't get you very far - esp at FPL - you have to know someone on the inside...HR doesn't know the job requirements in detail and they'll choose resumes that sound/look good to them personally so you may have great skills related to the job that HR doesn't comprehend or even recognize...and you get overlooked amongst the thousands or resumes submitted...a shell game - from what I hear a good company to work for but very big, very slow, lots of bureaucracy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

What Ray says is very true however after just going though the interview process FPL lacks process and recruiting skills. I worked at FPL for 9 years and they have really changed. My interview process after being recommended by many FPLers was a six month process of which they have filled the position without ever notifying me that the position was filled. FPL recruiting is the worst in the industry as far as I'm concerned and I've hired people for the past 13 years. If my recruiters ever treated people the way FPL does they would be fired. They do not communicate with the candidates at all. This is the NEW FPL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Any coincidence they left a nuclear power reactor unattended or allowed a non-approved employee to somehow shut it down causing a black out in south Florida recently? Just have to wonder if that employee was a contractor and/or citizen of this country or one of our less friendly adversaries.

Also noticed they seem to have the same exact jobs posted for over a year now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

That is the NEW FPL. After talking to many of the old time FPLers that I worked with, many of them say it's not worth working there anymore. You are just a piece of meat and a number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Yes - it appears that the Juno Beach, FL office is in shambles with no leadership whatsoever, and they can't find qualified employees in the retirement community they made their main campus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marti in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

75 months ago

Anyone that has worked at FPL - do you know how the numbers work after the position name? For example Business Analyst I and II - I'm guessing there are III and IV levels as well. Which is the highest and does anyone know the salary ranges for these types of positions?

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zaverchand in Plantation, Florida

69 months ago

I have got an interview call in FPL in PMO office. I was wondering if anyone knows how the interview process works and can help me with any interview questions they typically ask.

I am currently without job so this means a lot to me. Please help

Thanks
Biren

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I phone interviewed with the PMO organization in Oct. 2007, went in for a face to face interview in Jan. 2008, then I never heard back from anyone until a friend of mind that works at FPL told me they hired someone in March 2008. I also use to work for IT at FPL for almost 10 years, so even having inside recommendations didn't help. Be very careful it can take a long time to get hired at FPL.

Good Luck in your hunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

There are no set interview questions. Just be yourself and understand how PMO's operate and understand the PMI methodology.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

69 months ago

Get the interviewer & HR persons names, email addresses, phone numbers (via business card if you meet in person) and ask them what their hiring schedule is, and when they plan to make a decision...then ask when you can expect to hear back from them and reiterate if you don't hear back by that date you will call them for an update. Keep calling periodically until you get an answer...without being pushy.

Then when you get in - get me a job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mighty

40 months ago

moose2950 in Alpharetta, Georgia said: What Ray says is very true however after just going though the interview process FPL lacks process and recruiting skills. I worked at FPL for 9 years and they have really changed. My interview process after being recommended by many FPLers was a six month process of which they have filled the position without ever notifying me that the position was filled. FPL recruiting is the worst in the industry as far as I'm concerned and I've hired people for the past 13 years. If my recruiters ever treated people the way FPL does they would be fired. They do not communicate with the candidates at all. This is the NEW FPL.

I saw this recruiter at this veteran job fair. I told her how much i admire the company. I showed her a copy of my resume and she immediately told me my rusme is solid. She took the resume and told me to give her a call the following monday. I did call her, she told me she was just getting the office at about 11:30 am and therefore she would call me back. She never did, i however call her back on several occassion leave several messages and she never returned my phone call. So i am a victim of FP&L Recruiter abuse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.