LOGCAP IV INFO

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 10895)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Daneris Cruz in Milford, New Hampshire

66 months ago

Ksniper777 in San Antonio, Texas said: Follow up, with Fluor i have information that is the hiring manager knows you or knows your work they will call. If not you are pretty much out of luck. I know this from experiance.

Do you still recommend placing resume on monster and careerbuilder? I ran into one of your posts from some time ago recommending this. Do you think that they still use it as a tool? I just created a profile just in case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roush in Columbia, Tennessee

66 months ago

Daneris Cruz in Milford, New Hampshire said: I was wondering the same thing. Do recruiters negatively mark profiles of canidates who contact them, for example by sending 1 email to a recruiter? Or do people have to bombard recruiters to get on a negative list.

Thats what I was wondering, I contacted 1 and she told me they dont have jobs over there for what i'm doing now. Just because they don't have jobs over there for what I do doesn't mean I can't do other things!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida

66 months ago

I filled out the SF-85P and left off a couple of bills That are on my credit. A light and cable bill let over from when I was in the military. I moved and left the bills in my name because my roomates were still there.I also revived a ticket when I lived in texas. I'm no longer there and the department that issued the ticket has no record of it. I know the ticket is paid . Will anyone of these problems mess my process up? Or would I just sit in GV for a long time?

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: I filled out the SF-85P and left off a couple of bills That are on my credit. A light and cable bill let over from when I was in the military. I moved and left the bills in my name because my roomates were still there.I also revived a ticket when I lived in texas. I'm no longer there and the department that issued the ticket has no record of it. I know the ticket is paid . Will anyone of these problems mess my process up? Or would I just sit in GV for a long time?

The most important factor of SP85 is honesty. You can credit the missed items to an accidental oversight–( forgotten/ not remembered) if they come up. ( the latter I mention as you said when you called no record was found of the ticket so it may no longer be on the “board”so to speak) And as someone else mentioned these forms are gone over in Greenville with the likes of a fine tooth comb before they are actually file as completed. The items–specifically your ticket may or may not show up on your background check–and that’s where your explanation of a accidental oversight comes in. Debt not cleared up generally will fall off credit reports in 7- max 10 yrs. I know unresolved debts can case a ‘panic’ that is unfortunately all too common in these financial troubling times. But what they are actually looking for is a history of that can throw up a red flag, to hint at the suggestion other disqualifying problems, such as drugs or gambling etc.

The common theme for stay in Greenville seem to be "long" or longer regardless of issues and I beleive has more to do with the complications of the time consuming transition. The good news is they do pay you your base pay while you are there and a daily per deim. Best of luck.

66 months ago

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: The most important factor of SP85 is honesty. You can credit the missed items to an accidental oversight–( forgotten/ not remembered) if they come up. ( the latter I mention as you said when you called no record was found of the ticket so it may no longer be on the “board”so to speak) And as someone else mentioned these forms are gone over in Greenville with the likes of a fine tooth comb before they are actually file as completed. The items–specifically your ticket may or may not show up on your background check–and that’s where your explanation of a accidental oversight comes in. Debt not cleared up generally will fall off credit reports in 7- max 10 yrs. I know unresolved debts can case a ‘panic’ that is unfortunately all too common in these financial troubling times. But what they are actually looking for is a history of that can throw up a red flag, to hint at the suggestion other disqualifying problems, such as drugs or gambling etc.

The common theme for stay in Greenville seem to be "long" or longer regardless of issues and I beleive has more to do with the complications of the time consuming transition. The good news is they do pay you your base pay while you are there and a daily per deim. Best of luck.

Thank you so very much I was just worried. I didn't know if I should redo the whole file.

trey4u in Mobile, Alabama

66 months ago

andyg in Canton, Texas said: After the first 2 weeks of MDC are over what do they have you doing?

The first week is learning MAXIMO, how to do your time sheet electronically, learning how to fill out expense reports, Fluor corporate policies (anti harassment, safety, etc.) From there on you have more MAXIMO training, that's the software the Army requires all LOGCAP contractors to use to record work done. Fluor has Fluor University which is an online database of classes you can take, Conflict Resolution, Working On A Team, etc. so we've done some of that. Also some of us are doing time sheet audits to make sure everyone is doing that properly. They keep us busy but they're paying us so it's OK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

andyg in Briggs, Texas

66 months ago

trey4u in Mobile, Alabama said: The first week is learning MAXIMO, how to do your time sheet electronically, learning how to fill out expense reports, Fluor corporate policies (anti harassment, safety, etc.) From there on you have more MAXIMO training, that's the software the Army requires all LOGCAP contractors to use to record work done. Fluor has Fluor University which is an online database of classes you can take, Conflict Resolution, Working On A Team, etc. so we've done some of that. Also some of us are doing time sheet audits to make sure everyone is doing that properly. They keep us busy but they're paying us so it's OK.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Roush in Columbia, Tennessee

66 months ago

Roush in Columbia, Tennessee said: Thats what I was wondering, I contacted 1 and she told me they dont have jobs over there for what i'm doing now. Just because they don't have jobs over there for what I do doesn't mean I can't do other things!

So I was thinking, when a recuiter looks at your resume and sees what you do for a living and it doesn't match with any jobs they have avaliable do they put you to the back of the line? Some of the jobs they have i have done but it seems to me I'm not getting anywhere. I have emphasized those qualities but still nothing. I have been reading the fourms and it was said that it takes about 6 months before you get a call. If thats the case, its only been 4 months. or have they called before that 6 month period?

Daneris Cruz in Milford, New Hampshire

66 months ago

Roush in Columbia, Tennessee said: So I was thinking, when a recuiter looks at your resume and sees what you do for a living and it doesn't match with any jobs they have avaliable do they put you to the back of the line? Some of the jobs they have i have done but it seems to me I'm not getting anywhere. I have emphasized those qualities but still nothing. I have been reading the fourms and it was said that it takes about 6 months before you get a call. If thats the case, its only been 4 months. or have they called before that 6 month period?

I do not think so I applied for a position I was not extremely qualified for and a recruiter did review that application because unlike the others the status changed to "no longer under consideration". When they never review your application the status changes to another candidate chosen or something along those lines. Recruiters specialize in certain areas and I do not think they make it a habit to recommend someone to another recruiter unless they know the person.

I share your frustration, I must check my fluor account three times a day. I just wonder about the people who must give up on the process or never receive a call. There must be a least hundreds of applicants per job, and I doubt there are enough jobs compared to how many people apply.

Are there any other people applying for administrative assistant positions? I mainly see skilled trade people in the forums. I would like to hear about the experiences of those looking for admini jobs or have have gotten a job, especially since there are less admini jobs available compared to skilled trade positions.

Jim Sawyer in Tucson, Arizona

66 months ago

Ksniper777 in San Antonio, Texas said: I guess so many people are flooding the event that they will only invite those who they have resumes on file and or interested in hiring.

I noticed the other day the virtual recruiter statement indicating events are now "invitation only" as well. Kinda curious what's up since I'm "under review" for four HR jobs - really wanted to login and chat yesterday, oh well, I've been hanging in for a couple of months now - I can hang for a couple of more. Starting to see some jobs I applied for are either closed or on hold - wonder what thats about??

Desktopguy in Baltimore, Maryland

66 months ago

How long is the stay in Fort Worth once you make it there and where does the Medical and Dental part get done at. Does anyone know once you leave country do you fly in to Kuwait or Dubai. I am just trying to find out some information about DynCorp and any help would be great for anyone who has gone thru the steps to get there thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TX Globetrotter in Texas

66 months ago

FYI, there is a big scam going on that has originated out of the UK. A company posing as Fluor Limited Afghan Operations is sending out bogus offer letters to Americans. Ultimately they will ask for personal information and a $880 wire for "secret clearance" processing in the UK. Don't fall prey to their scheme if you are contacted.

Old Timer in New Albany, Mississippi

66 months ago

TX Globetrotter in Texas said: FYI, there is a big scam going on that has originated out of the UK. A company posing as Fluor Limited Afghan Operations is sending out bogus offer letters to Americans. Ultimately they will ask for personal information and a $880 wire for "secret clearance" processing in the UK. Don't fall prey to their scheme if you are contacted.

I'm not positive about this,but this scam probably started in Nigeria, the scam capitol of the world.

66 months ago

Going to GV on the 10th!!! So does anyone know if i really need the 500-700 dollars they ask you to have when you arrive? I'm a unemployed student and i really don't have money that doesn't go straight to bills. Any info will really help.

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: Going to GV on the 10th!!! So does anyone know if i really need the 500-700 dollars they ask you to have when you arrive? I'm a unemployed student and i really don't have money that doesn't go straight to bills. Any info will really help.

It may have changed since last summer, but my husband had to front all his costs, save for the first 7-10 day in hotel. You do need to have pocket money for meals. They reverse–ie pay you a daily per diem–but it takes some time for this to come through. Most out of pocket expenses will come back to you though but I imagine they are saying you need to bring so much with till the ball gets rolling; wages/ per diem and reverses start coming back in.

My husband was in greenville for about 5 weeks as I recall and after the official processing time was over he was removed to a extended stay hotel near the Fluor “ campus” and he paid for this out of pocket as well as his rental car weekly and these expenses were reversed to him but it took a bit of time to get it back. However by the time he was moved to a extended stay he was getting weekly pay--of his base pay which covered his expenses till the reverses came back. Hope this helps. I know when hubby was there there were a few guys that were strapped for cash too. Hubby floated loans to couple of them and I recall him telling me about one guy he gave a lift to walmart too so he could lay in supplies--such as peanut butter and bread so he could eat cheap until wages stated to come in. Best of Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lyte504 in houston, Texas

66 months ago

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: It may have changed since last summer, but my husband had to front all his costs, save for the first 7-10 day in hotel. You do need to have pocket money for meals. They reverse–ie pay you a daily per diem–but it takes some time for this to come through. Most out of pocket expenses will come back to you though but I imagine they are saying you need to bring so much with till the ball gets rolling; wages/ per diem and reverses start coming back in.

My husband was in greenville for about 5 weeks as I recall and after the official processing time was over he was removed to a extended stay hotel near the Fluor “ campus” and he paid for this out of pocket as well as his rental car weekly and these expenses were reversed to him but it took a bit of time to get it back. However by the time he was moved to a extended stay he was getting weekly pay--of his base pay which covered his expenses till the reverses came back. Hope this helps. I know when hubby was there there were a few guys that were strapped for cash too. Hubby floated loans to couple of them and I recall him telling me about one guy he gave a lift to walmart too so he could lay in supplies--such as peanut butter and bread so he could eat cheap until wages stated to come in. Best of Luck

wow, that sucks! thats a hell of a way to get a job.

66 months ago

lyte504 in houston, Texas said: wow, that sucks! thats a hell of a way to get a job.

True. But when the money does start coming back in, it more than compensates for any strapped time. Hubby was happy to take the position they offered him along with the large raise in annual income he recieved. And they have lived up to the letter of thier contract thus far. So we've no complaints.

66 months ago

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: It may have changed since last summer, but my husband had to front all his costs, save for the first 7-10 day in hotel. You do need to have pocket money for meals. They reverse–ie pay you a daily per diem–but it takes some time for this to come through. Most out of pocket expenses will come back to you though but I imagine they are saying you need to bring so much with till the ball gets rolling; wages/ per diem and reverses start coming back in.

My husband was in greenville for about 5 weeks as I recall and after the official processing time was over he was removed to a extended stay hotel near the Fluor “ campus” and he paid for this out of pocket as well as his rental car weekly and these expenses were reversed to him but it took a bit of time to get it back. However by the time he was moved to a extended stay he was getting weekly pay--of his base pay which covered his
expenses till the reverses came back. Hope this helps. I know when hubby was there there were a few guys that were strapped for cash too. Hubby floated loans to couple of them and I recall him telling me about one guy he gave a lift to walmart too so he could lay in supplies--such as peanut butter and bread so he could eat cheap until wages stated to come in. Best of Luck

Thank you I hope I can take the little money I have and be ok. Thank you for the info. How long did it take to get the first check.

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: Thank you I hope I can take the little money I have and be ok. Thank you for the info. How long did it take to get the first check.

About 2 weeks--for base pay which they pay weekly. No uplifts while you are stateside but they do pay your base pay--however taxes are taken out. Per diem and reverses come in seperate checks adn these took about four wks to start coming in.

They did seem to try to rush to get the base pay checks out.

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: Thank you I hope I can take the little money I have and be ok. Thank you for the info. How long did it take to get the first check.

One more thing: If you note their recommended 500.00-700.00 pretty much equals the per diem that are giving you–so sound likes they are wanting you to plan for the 10-14 day span its gonna take to get your first check. And you can exist on a lot less than 49-50.00 a day. Though eating out can get expensive–specially if you spend anytime in the hotel bar–or surrounding “go to” places the guys frequented. ( I spent a week there with hubby after he moved to extended stay hotel)

If its the same processing hotel, unfortunately, I know they did not have microwaves in the rooms but I “think” they had mini frigs–but do not quote me on this. You could lay in a supply of soda, ( beer too if you wanted) bag of apples, peanut butter, bread, bagels–can meats–Little devils, can chicken and ham salad-- and granola bars and some fruit juice etc. And there was a bus/ van that went to the walmart–provided transport for the guys to hot spot areas during their down time. The hotel also had a weekly welcome hr or two were they provided free beer and chicken wings/ finger foods–get there early though. LOL Way I heard it, they run out fast. Best of luck.

66 months ago

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: One more thing: If you note their recommended 500.00-700.00 pretty much equals the per diem that are giving you–so sound likes they are wanting you to plan for the 10-14 day span its gonna take to get your first check. And you can exist on a lot less than 49-50.00 a day. Though eating out can get expensive–specially if you spend anytime in the hotel bar–or surrounding “go to” places the guys frequented. ( I spent a week there with hubby after he moved to extended stay hotel)

If its the same processing hotel, unfortunately, I know they did not have microwaves in the rooms but I “think” they had mini frigs–but do not quote me on this. You could lay in a supply of soda, ( beer too if you wanted) bag of apples, peanut butter, bread, bagels–can meats–Little devils, can chicken and ham salad-- and granola bars and some fruit juice etc. And there was a bus/ van that went to the walmart–provided transport for the guys to hot spot areas during their down time. The hotel also had a weekly welcome hr or two were they provided free beer and chicken wings/ finger foods–get there early though. LOL Way I heard it, they run out fast. Best of luck.

Ok I should be fine then. I'm a college student and I live off of the whole list of thing you posted lol. I thought the money was to pay for the hotel stay for the first two weeks. How long did your husband spend in GV? And are there many women there? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions. It's just that I'm so happy right now and just so ready to start working. I've been do broke since leaving the army.

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: Ok I should be fine then. I'm a college student and I live off of the whole list of thing you posted lol. I thought the money was to pay for the hotel stay for the first two weeks. How long did your husband spend in GV? And are there many women there? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions. It's just that I'm so happy right now and just so ready to start working. I've been do broke since leaving the army.

Ask away. I will help as much as I can. =)

Hubby group was smaller, he was hired on right before they were awarded logcap IV, but there were a couple of women going through when he processed. I am sure you will be fine/ be able to manage. As I recall there was a Mc Donald’s down the street from the hotel too–it was a bit of a walk, but as a college student, I am sure you are familiar with their 99 cent menu. =)

Hubby was there for about 5 weeks. He spent the first ten days at the processing hotel. Then they moved him to an extended stay. You do not have to pay for the processing hotel. Out of pocket costs then--which will eventually be reverse to you-- are related to cost for food, drink and laundry while there. If/ when they move you to an extended stay hotel you do have to pay for it–but they bill you at the end of each week. And it worked out at the time that by the time the extended stay hotel bill was due, checks were coming in for hubby. Only issue we had is that between food cost, extended stay hotel and rental care, hubby base pay checks were pretty much eaten up–so kids and I were living off of savings while he was there. But–all these expenses were eventually reversed in full. And rental car is optional. & extended stay had a full kitchenette–so you can cook full hot meals.

Maybe Trey4 or Socalna can give you a more current report of how things are done if either have the time to come in this way as they are there now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doug Bryson in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

I was curious if anyone has any sites that they can recommend to study up on life working on the LOGCAP project. I am trying to get as much info as I can to try and establish a clear picture of what to expect when/if I do get deployed.

66 months ago

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: Ask away. I will help as much as I can. =)

Hubby group was smaller, he was hired on right before they were awarded logcap IV, but there were a couple of women going through when he processed. I am sure you will be fine/ be able to manage. As I recall there was a Mc Donald’s down the street from the hotel too–it was a bit of a walk, but as a college student, I am sure you are familiar with their 99 cent menu. =)

Hubby was there for about 5 weeks. He spent the first ten days at the processing hotel. Then they moved him to an extended stay. You do not have to pay for the processing hotel. Out of pocket costs then--which will eventually be reverse to you-- are related to cost for food, drink and laundry while there. If/ when they move you to an extended stay hotel you do have to pay for it–but they bill you at the end of each week. And it worked out at the time that by the time the extended stay hotel bill was due, checks were coming in for hubby. Only issue we had is that between food cost, extended stay hotel and rental care, hubby base pay checks were pretty much eaten up–so kids and I were living off of savings while he was there. But–all these expenses were eventually reversed in full. And rental car is optional. & extended stay had a full kitchenette–so you can cook full hot meals.

Maybe Trey4 or Socalna can give you a more current report of how things are done if either have the time to come in this way as they are there now.

Thank you!! If i get paid within the first two weeks i should be alright. I wonder when does the bonus check comes in??

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: Thank you!! If i get paid within the first two weeks i should be alright. I wonder when does the bonus check comes in??

Hi! Bonus check comes in on your first check after you go overseas. You get paid every two weeks then. So you should see that in your first check after you go wheels up.

66 months ago

Doug Bryson in Atlanta, Georgia said: I was curious if anyone has any sites that they can recommend to study up on life working on the LOGCAP project. I am trying to get as much info as I can to try and establish a clear picture of what to expect when/if I do get deployed.

Your best source is already at your fingertips--internet. You can find blogs with stories and memories of for soldiers, reporters and ta few of hose that have worked logcap. Check U tube-- there's occasionally little clips over there--some of these are older and a few of these are from soldiers--looks like having a bit of fun to distract themselves--I think I found a few over there called Iraq cribs--lol a funny take on living conditions over there. Check flicker for photoes--use search words of camp names, or company names. U can also find copies of stars and strips online---and they have Iraq/ middle eastern editions. and of course read the news--current and older. Best of luck.

Nashville Kat in Tennessee

66 months ago

Doug Bryson in Atlanta, Georgia said: I was curious if anyone has any sites that they can recommend to study up on life working on the LOGCAP project. I am trying to get as much info as I can to try and establish a clear picture of what to expect when/if I do get deployed.

Try LogCap 4 Jobs.com Bruce Diggs has a great website that you can learn alot from. Also, Ms Sparky has another good website that keeps me up to date on everything going on.

This job isn't for the faint of heart. When my hubby first went over and was in Bagram waiting to go to his camp, he had to sleep (well try to sleep) in a tent with a bunch of other folks. And to top it off, the tent was down wind from open cess pool. When the guys came out, they were puking their guts up.

Also, bear in mind that you will eat, sleep and work with the same people every day. My husband said he relates it to being in prison. But the rewards are great! And that is what is keeping him over there.
When you come home on R & R, you'll find it so hard to leave and go back. Your family will be tugging at your heart wanting you to stay home. If you can keep your eye on the prize, the reward $$$ is good.

One other thing, if you have questions, just post them out here. Many of us gals, KoKo, Monita and myself are pretty well versed on what's happening with our hubbies. And I am sure that help out!

Take Care!
Kathy

Mrmonte678 in Acworth, Georgia

66 months ago

What are you husbands living conditions now? Is he still in a tent?

66 months ago

Hello All,

I've gotten hired by Fluor about 8 days after I applied. I did all the MDC and now i'm just waiting to go to greenville. I was told that i might be heading to Greenville this week.

Proleter in Strumica, Macedonia

66 months ago

And you are one of the luckiest, although I know a guy that was contacted 20 hours after he applied. There should be a Fluor book of records: "John Smith was contacted 20 minutes after he applied online." :)
Sorry for the offtopic.

66 months ago

Dang, That's crazy. I think there are alot of factor that go into the hiring process. For example, Military experience and I was also deployed 2 times before.

Doug Bryson in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

Nashville Kat in Tennessee said: Try LogCap 4 Jobs.com Bruce Diggs has a great website that you can learn alot from. Also, Ms Sparky has another good website that keeps me up to date on everything going on.

This job isn't for the faint of heart. When my hubby first went over and was in Bagram waiting to go to his camp, he had to sleep (well try to sleep) in a tent with a bunch of other folks. And to top it off, the tent was down wind from open cess pool. When the guys came out, they were puking their guts up.

Also, bear in mind that you will eat, sleep and work with the same people every day. My husband said he relates it to being in prison. But the rewards are great! And that is what is keeping him over there.
When you come home on R & R, you'll find it so hard to leave and go back. Your family will be tugging at your heart wanting you to stay home. If you can keep your eye on the prize, the reward $$$ is good.

One other thing, if you have questions, just post them out here. Many of us gals, KoKo, Monita and myself are pretty well versed on what's happening with our hubbies. And I am sure that help out!

Take Care!
Kathy

Thanks for the info, Kathy. I am quite certain this is not something the faint of heart does. Like I said I am trying to get a clearer picture of life over there. I would expect nothing less than eat, sleep, work for the money that is being paid out. Frankly, I bet that is the best way to pass the time until the next R&R.

Proleter in Strumica, Macedonia

66 months ago

Congrats my friend. Try other forums like "Going to Houston for Processing..." for information as well. There are some nice ladies, wifes of KBR and Fluor employees that have updated infos on living conditions.

klav in garden city, Michigan

66 months ago

Mrmonte678 in Acworth, Georgia said: Hello All,

I've gotten hired by Fluor about 8 days after I applied. I did all the MDC and now i'm just waiting to go to greenville. I was told that i might be heading to Greenville this week.

long time reader first time responder. Anyway applied for fluor in december, hired in january, took three months to go through all of the pre-employment processing. (med, shots, sf85p (oh what fun)) well long story short heading to greenville on the 10th of April. Should be a wild ride and a strange adventure, but that's life. Right?

66 months ago

Mrmonte678 in Acworth, Georgia said: What are you husbands living conditions now? Is he still in a tent?

He lives in a "B-hut". It's just plywood panels and 2 x 4's. In this one, he has an actual door that he can pad lock. His last room had only a carpet for a door. But, he does have a tv, computer/internet.

Contractors can live in tents, B-Huts, or Hooches. There are some brick and mortor building, but they are few and far between. Hooches are shipping containers/trailers that have been turned in to living quarters.

Take Care!
Kathy

andyg in Briggs, Texas

66 months ago

Does anyone know if there is decent internet connections in AF, or what is the best way to communicate back home from there?

66 months ago

Doug Bryson in Atlanta, Georgia said: Thanks for the info, Kathy. I am quite certain this is not something the faint of heart does. Like I said I am trying to get a clearer picture of life over there. I would expect nothing less than eat, sleep, work for the money that is being paid out. Frankly, I bet that is the best way to pass the time until the next R&R.

Sounds like you have the right idea! There are alot of folks that go thru all the process of getting hired, getting to Houston or Greenville where ever Dyna-Corp has there headquarters, and once they hit the ground in Dubai they have a change of heart.

Good luck to you!
Kathy

66 months ago

Congrats to you!

Chris Twopher in Fremont, California

66 months ago

Mrmonte678 , That was a quick hire. Lucky you, or good job on your qualifications. Most of us are still praying to the Fluor gods hoping to get the call soon. The closest I am is that I have a few job submissions in "Under Review" status.

66 months ago

And the KBR/Dyn Gods.

66 months ago

Thats kinda my story too but i leave on the 10th of next month. I appiled and the next couple of days i recived a call. I guess i lucked up.

66 months ago

Koko Wilson in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: Hi! Bonus check comes in on your first check after you go overseas. You get paid every two weeks then. So you should see that in your first check after you go wheels up.

Hello, Thank you! I cant wait to get all of this started.

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: Thats kinda my story too but i leave on the 10th of next month. I appiled and the next couple of days i recived a call. I guess i lucked up.

Did they ever call you and tell you that you was leaving on the 10th or did you call them about your status?

66 months ago

To be honest with you guys, I honestly don't know how much I'm going to be paid. I know my base pay but I don't know the percentage of uplift or anything like that. When the guy called me and offered me that job, I wasn't asking many question. Does anyone know if the uplift is the same for everybody or does it depend on your job?

66 months ago

Mrmonte678 in Acworth, Georgia said: Did they ever call you and tell you that you was leaving on the 10th or did you call them about your status?

They called me and gave me a date. They also said I will have to take another drug test and mail it in.

66 months ago

nabisko32 in Hollywood, Florida said: They called me and gave me a date. They also said I will have to take another drug test and mail it in.

Cool, I'm thinking I will hear from them this week or so.

66 months ago

Mrmonte678 , I'm prior service too and was also deployed 3 times for 2 different branches. USMC (infantry) and Army(transportation). What job did you get hired for? Is it the same stuff you did in the military? As for me, I'm trying to get into vector/pest control which I do in civilian life.

66 months ago

Just added my 2 cents on what I am being told about living conditions currently in Afghanistan.

As Kathy said tents, b- huts or containers– but right now, lots of tents–they call em circus or big top-- so your odds are . . . At least after you first arrive and are transitioning to your assigned camp. If you stay on at a larger camp, your name will go on a waiting list for ‘housing assignment’ that one can at least hope is better than these larger tents.

Big issue with overcrowding right now in many of the larger camps–such as BAF because of the build up. I have heard it said that afghanistan is a lot like Iraq was in the early days. That said there is definitely room for improvements–and in time I am sure the will come. For Fluor folks, since KBR was they first they seem to have all of the prime reality–that may change with the transition. But they seem to be taking most folks on–so more the apt of the wait till improvements are built up.

You might find yourself with better living conditions–at leastwise less crowded if you get sent to an out laying smaller fob. But no real perks at these places–as in MWR, fast food and green bean coffee shops etc–but then news and rumors of news holds that all the fast food joints save for green been coffee are going to be closed down soon. Few places–fobs are actually new–as in still being built–so their defac facility may be limited too. That said you my have to exist for a while or have to supplement meals with MREs for a while.

(con't)

66 months ago

As Kathy mentioned, I have also heard it referred to in a manner of like being in prison. But those of you going with Fluor, after you been there for a while and adjust, you might just be surprised at how quickly RRs roll around. You can not take your first RR until after your first 91 days in. But after the first, RRs come like every 10 weeks. Its actually kind of wild when you consider–takes some days to get out for RR–and then figure you take 14 days RR which starts when you get in Dubia–then when you come back–if you are in a out laying fob can take an additional few days to get you back.

For those of you going over make sure you take cold and allergy meds–lots of germs floating around–as is the time of the yr for and then there is the over crowding issue to contend with that makes matter worse. Take a multi vitamin with you and extra C can not hurt. There’s also a product call air born that can help boost your immune system.

66 months ago

Lastly . . .

Someone ask about internet connection. The larger camps definitely have internet connection–but how good it works is sporadic. You find some that will say they have great connection. Others, ' it hardly ever works!' And yes some of the smaller out laying fobs also have internet connection. In the case of my hubby, he has better internet connection access in his smaller Fob then when he travels to like BAF.

A good investment to consider once you get over there may be an Afghanistan cell phone. ‘Cause its overcrowded, in some areas it can be hard to get access to a phone–as in long long lines. It is a bit spendy mintues wise–think it runs about 24 cents a minute. But calls in are free to you--so I buy minutes this way to call hubby to defer some of the expense of. I use enjoy prepaid cards. For us it more spendy cause I do not have a landline so cost me about 30 cents a minute. Yeah cheaper for him to call me. BUT, he works at a smaller FOB so no way for him to buy more minutes when he runs out, so we try to conserve his minutes. Good news is I can txt him for 20 cents a txt with my regular T mobile package. Do check with noble.com or enjoy pre paid card–nobel owns enjoy too, if you are looking for reasonable priced minutes. Nobel works great with land lines–talking pennies a minute. Enjoy is for cell to cell and cost more.

You can also buy a sim card for your afghanistan cell phone that will work in Dubia.

Best of luck.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.