What's the company culture at GE?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 74)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at GE?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at GE?

Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Alpharetta, Georgia

85 months ago

This compay sucks, they buy up other companies wreck the customer base and refuse to take responsibility for it. If your not a GE imbred your not wanted and they make that very clear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (162) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Toronto, Ontario

85 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at GE?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

GE Healthcare in Burlington has a "business casual" policy, but like most places in Vermont, they allow blue jeans. Pretty much anything goes as long as you are clean, neat & presentable. They do get strict when meeting with clients & suggest a very firm business casual dress code. I've heard that going to other GE offices they are very strict about dress code but I think it's regional.

I happen to agree with Joe in Alparetta about GE as a company. They were way too intense for me & if you're not willing to dedicate your life to the company then it's hard to move up. I personally love my family & am not willing to make those sacrifices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Fall River, Wisconsin

84 months ago

Answering whether a company is good or not is subject to career goals, etc.

I left after several years at GE. When I gave my two weeks notice, I was surprised when several long time employees (15+ years) came up and either said they were unhappy, were looking for other work too, and/or envious I was leaving. For each of them, however, I am certain there are others conversely pleased with what GE has to offer.

They expect results from employees (not a bad thing). They adaquately provide the tools necessary to get the job done. At Healthcare, you are working to improve the lives of others - that is rewarding. It's rewarding work in an innovative field.

Though a stated goal, quality takes a distant second to meeting schedule. The development process is a farse. Requirements gathering and actually designing your work....... well because schedules are so tight, there is little time for that. I saw no effort in R&D for nearterm projects. These factors would explain why the projects I participated on did not meet their schedules. Kinda funny..

But, I didn't leave for those reasons, though they were contributors. Their performance review process is scary. Yearly goals were tpyically received in mid summer. Yet, it didn't really matter because performance review time is vastly subjective. One year I really made signifiacant contributions to the GE product, but recevied a poor review. The next year I did my job but did not make any signifiant contributions to help the customer, improve quality, etc. But, I received a really good review. The difference was that in the second year, I learned how to play their performance review game.

My guess is that there are worse companies. And, as I have found, much better ones. I thought GE would offer job security if I did a good job. I learned that is not what matters there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (123) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

QOptimal in Chandler, Arizona

84 months ago

Very good overview, Tom.

I particularly am keen on your observations giving quality short shrift. A GE Healtcare unit in Aurora, Ohio found out what it was like to feel the rath of the FDA in a warning letter dated 2/22/07. In a nutshell, this facility shipped product before finishing all required testing. A big no-no. It can be implied from this that schedule was more important than meeting any/all requirements. If interested in reading the warning letter in its entirety, visit www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/

Regards,

Q

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Austin, Texas

83 months ago

You must be willing to live GE. Your family, your community, your health ... all secondary to the company. Additionally, not all GE locations are GLBT friendly places to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Louisville, Colorado

83 months ago

QOptimal in Chandler, Arizona said: Very good overview, Tom.

I particularly am keen on your observations giving quality short shrift. A GE Healtcare unit in Aurora, Ohio found out what it was like to feel the rath of the FDA in a warning letter dated 2/22/07. In a nutshell, this facility shipped product before finishing all required testing. A big no-no. It can be implied from this that schedule was more important than meeting any/all requirements. If interested in reading the warning letter in its entirety, visit www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/

Regards,

Q

That's odd - I heard that just about anywhere in the GE conglomerate that Six Sigma rules supreme. Maybe it's not been adopted for development.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

83 months ago

Several years ago, I took the Six Sigma DMAIC/DFSS Green Belt training. I found the education very rewarding.

At the time, GE mandated that Green Belts submit a project on an annual basis. Typically you found a large portion of the engineering population working on the projects for whatever they could justify during the month of December.

While the tools are great for improving quality, GE's schedule-centric development process left little time for building quality into product. Hence, Six Sigma was not an integral set of tools used within the development process.

With that said, I did see some encouraging progress with the use of Lean Six Sigma as my time with GE came to a close.

What you hear and what actually happens are two different things. I was part of another company's efforts to win the Malcolm Baldrige quality award. What the company offered was a lot of smoke and mirrors to the Baldridge judges panel. The company used it's achievement as marketing hype. Overall, nothing changed in their development process.

My experience with GE Healthcare demonstrates that they squeeze out the necessary quality through elongated test->development->retest->redevelopment sub cycles instead of actually designing solutions. Is this better? At GE there was constant pressure by upper management to demonstrate progress. Design documents do not demonstrate progress, but proof-of-concept code that is later product-ized, does.

With that said, also keep in mind that GE is structured such that the delivery of bad news is not a good thing. There is constant jockeying to ensure that you and your team is not delivering bad news. And, the freedom to voice opposition is not accepted - in my experience.

Regards...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Absolutely!!!

I want to share this story.....

After graduating from college, I started working for a great company. I enjoyed my work, it was rewarding, I was establishing credibility, and I was willing to work many additional hours.

I was sent off for 10 weeks of corporate computer programming training. During hte first five weeks, I the training required 90-110 hours of weekly effort. The instructor was always available - day or night - literally.

During the second half of the course, we had a different instructor. He was readily available until 5:00pm, but after that he firmly instructed us to rely on teaching assistants. He was not available.

During the 7th week, a bunch of us were taking the elevator down to the cafeteria. One of the students asked the instructor why he did not care about our success in passing because he did not make himself available during off-hours.

His response was, "If something was to happen to me tonight, say I was killed in an auto accident, you might not have class tomorrow, but at the minimum you would be back in class the day after. The company would adjust and survive with no major impact to their business. On the other hand, my family would be devastated. My wife would be a widow. My three children would not have a father. They would loose their primary means of support. Which one should be the priority in my life?"

I've never forgotten that. I am loyal to my employer. I am willing to work extra hours when it is genuinely necessary. But my family will always, always, always be the most important part of my life.

Men especially, create their identity by who they are at work and what they accomplish. Some can rise about that and see success as the achievement of raising their children to be fine your men and women.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (99) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

previous post was in response to anonymous in Austin Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Louisville, Colorado

83 months ago

Tom in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said:
Men especially, create their identity by who they are at work and what they accomplish. Some can rise about that and see success as the achievement of raising their children to be fine your men and women.

I disagree with this statement; it's not gender based or biased one bit these days. I know plenty of women who also piggy-back their identity and self-worth base upon their career and career achievements. And not everyone has children.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

[QUOTE]

Tom in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said:

Kay in Louisville, Colorado said: I disagree with this statement; it's not gender based or biased one bit these days. I know plenty of women who also piggy-back their identity and self-worth base upon their career and career achievements. And not everyone has children.

I agree that plenty of women also share a sense of self-worth through their careers and accomplishments. Still, research shows that self-worth through careers and accomplishments is especially true of men. I never said these traits were void in women.

But I really don’t want to argue this point. It isn’t the essence of my posting.

My comments were in response to the post:

Anonymous in Austin, Texas said: You must be willing to live GE. Your family, your community, your health ... all secondary to the company. Additionally, not all GE locations are GLBT friendly places to work.

I wholeheartedly agree with Anonymous. There is a price to pay for the climb up the GE corporate ladder (or to even stay on the ladder). For some, the personal sacrifices of that climb are worth it. I’ve personally witnessed broken relationships and failed health from those people climbing.

I work hard and I am successful at what I do. In the grand scheme of things, lines of code, patents created, and career achievements mean very little in comparison to my health, family, and friends. I maintain balance.

In my GE experience, you’re nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach. You’re an expendable commodity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

James in Plano, Texas

82 months ago

I wanted to let you folks know that if you are unhappy and want assistance into other companies then give me a call.
James Grimes
<Edited by Host: Contact Information Removed>

***Message from Host***
Contact info deleted Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile Also please be cautious when sending your information to anyone on the forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

David in Mauldin, South Carolina

82 months ago

Ge in greenville is great and pays well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Scott in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

James in Plano, Texas said: I wanted to let you folks know that if you are unhappy and want assistance into other companies then give me a call.
James Grimes
<Edited by Host: Contact Information Removed>

***Message from Host***
Contact info deleted Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile Also please be cautious when sending your information to anyone on the forums.

Can you really help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

C.M. in Manassas, Virginia

81 months ago

I used to work at GE's corporate research center in Schenectady, NY. There were some inefficiencies and bureaucratic hassles, but in general people had a very positive attitude and often got together socially outside of work. Typical work weeks were 40-50 hours, and the wages were good relative to the geographical area. I've worked in factories that paid better but forced a lot of overtime. I've also worked in places that paid worse - and treated people worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Richmond, Virginia

81 months ago

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with the GE plant in Salem, VA (near Roanoke)?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Matt Sample in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

72 months ago

Andrea,

I used to work in Salem (7 years ago). At that time it was a tough enviroment to be in as most of the building was either being sold to Toshiba (AC/DC Drives), and the other 1/2 was in the downswing of the power systems slump.

From what i've heard though, the power systems controls business is picking up and it's not a bad place to work.

In general, I have to agree with most of Tom's statements. I too recently left GE Healthcare, but there are a lot of things I miss... it was a heck of an execution focused company. If you're thinking of getting into IT or Process (lean six sigma), you may want to think again... GE has a lot of the late 1990's IT boom people (aka, i have the word computer in my degree) running their IT department. I can elaborate more if you are interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt Sample in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

72 months ago

Tom,

I'm curious what modality you worked for... I recently left as well for various reasons, but overall agree with your assessment.

Overall GE is a great company, but it is about the perception of the work you do, not actually what you get done. If you're in IT or a process area of the business it can be very frustrating because it's a very matrixed and cross functional business... it's sometimes impossible to make most obvious business case heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

themantheycallme in Woodland, California

71 months ago

C.M. in Manassas, Virginia said: I used to work at GE's corporate research center in Schenectady, NY. There were some inefficiencies and bureaucratic hassles, but in general people had a very positive attitude and often got together socially outside of work. Typical work weeks were 40-50 hours, and the wages were good relative to the geographical area. I've worked in factories that paid better but forced a lot of overtime. I've also worked in places that paid worse - and treated people worse.

I'm about to fly there to interview for engineering (turbine/fluid dynamics) I'm used to working a full time job and going to school full time with a full time family, so the schedule is nothing new to us. What did you find inefficient? Also, I'm hearing perceived work is better than actual results. Is this the case for New York as well? Any advice for interviewing/salary? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

k5w in Albany, New York

69 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at GE?

work, work, work, work, work, sleep (but not too long), work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymos in Libertyville, Illinois

65 months ago

I am considering joining GE Healthcare's HQs in Milwaukee WI (in accounting/finance). I am a career driven person and know all about long hours. However, I have a new daughter and am very keen on having a good balance, which I would consider averaging about 45 hour work weeks. Can any one speak to what the HQ culture is like in acctg/finance? Are my expectations reasonable or will I get slaughtered? They have a reputation as a demanding culture. Any help is appreciated...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

SpazzySpaz in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

41 months ago

"They were way too intense for me & if you're not willing to dedicate your life to the company then it's hard to move up. I personally love my family & am not willing to make those sacrifices."

Agreed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rva in Richmond, Virginia

41 months ago

We have been part of the GE Healthcare culture for approximately 20 years. GE has been extremely good to us in every way possible and beyond that and I can be a cheerleader for GE. I can be a grumpy spouse, but at least my spouse gets paychecks that don't bounce and gets benefits not available otherwise. Be loyal with them and generally they will be good to you. Every location is different and has different needs and issues. The employee's spouse needs to understand that life with GE can be stressful and the employee may not get to the special nights out (don't buy tickets to anything and you won't be disappointed), kid's sports games, etc., but you cannot beat the GE benefits.

We have lived with and without GE, and with GE is definitely better. In this day and age you can't argue with that. You also have to understand that it is healthcare and people who could be your family members could be in an ER department waiting for the x-ray, heart equipment or CT machine to get repaired in order to have an emergency taken care of. You have to understand that and realize your spouse may have to work "doctors' hours." Will there be frustrations? Yes, but you have a good job in a high tech niche and you can take care of your family. My spouse wants to work for as long as possible and not retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

R Brees in Scared to admit, Washington

39 months ago

GE is a joke to work for. They hire and promote strictly on diversity goals, not merit. If you are not in the "circle" then you don't stand a chance of moving up or getting decent pay raises. EMS performance reviews are a JOKE, 100% subjective, not based on quantitative metrics. You report management for abuse and nothing is done.

GE stresses integrity, but they are far from it. Most of my fellow teammates, including me, have been looking for other jobs for some time. GE is also notorious for paying less than the competition. At first it feels good to say you work for "GE", but that wears off quickly when you are not treated fairly. Look elsewhere before working for GE, trust me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dan in Fairview, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

rva in Richmond, Virginia said: We have been part of the GE Healthcare culture for approximately 20 years. GE has been extremely good to us in every way possible and beyond that and I can be a cheerleader for GE. I can be a grumpy spouse, but at least my spouse gets paychecks that don't bounce and gets benefits not available otherwise. Be loyal with them and generally they will be good to you. Every location is different and has different needs and issues. The employee's spouse needs to understand that life with GE can be stressful and the employee may not get to the special nights out (don't buy tickets to anything and you won't be disappointed), kid's sports games, etc., but you cannot beat the GE benefits.

We have lived with and without GE, and with GE is definitely better. In this day and age you can't argue with that. You also have to understand that it is healthcare and people who could be your family members could be in an ER department waiting for the x-ray, heart equipment or CT machine to get repaired in order to have an emergency taken care of. You have to understand that and realize your spouse may have to work "doctors' hours." Will there be frustrations? Yes, but you have a good job in a high tech niche and you can take care of your family. My spouse wants to work for as long as possible and not retire.

I'll bet your spouse wants to work forever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Tresca in Fairfield, Connecticut

22 months ago

R Brees in Scared to admit, Washington said: GE is a joke to work for. They hire and promote strictly on diversity goals, not merit. If you are not in the "circle" then you don't stand a chance of moving up or getting decent pay raises. EMS performance reviews are a JOKE, 100% subjective, not based on quantitative metrics. You report management for abuse and nothing is done.

GE stresses integrity, but they are far from it. Most of my fellow teammates, including me, have been looking for other jobs for some time. GE is also notorious for paying less than the competition. At first it feels good to say you work for "GE", but that wears off quickly when you are not treated fairly. Look elsewhere before working for GE, trust me.

GE takes integrity concerns very seriously. If you have an integrity concern please send all details, including the names of all GE employees involved, to gerecruiting@corporate.ge.com and we will promptly investigate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Houston we have a problem in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

Michael Tresca in Fairfield, Connecticut said: GE takes integrity concerns very seriously. If you have an integrity concern please send all details, including the names of all GE employees involved, to gerecruiting@corporate.ge.com and we will promptly investigate.

"GE takes integrity concerns very seriously"....really?

I have been asked by my integrity-filled leaders to cross borders and lie....stating I am going for training reasons, not to perform work.

I agree with this post regarding EMS appraisals, they are a joke. Mine take 30-60 seconds. The "leader" I report to has no business in his postion (Peter principle).

The only true thing GE believes in is money, not integrity, or Customer service.

GE is very disappointing to work for.

I will add I try to use the COS system to find another job....what happens? Nothing. I have applied for postions I am qualified to do but I don't even rate a phone call or email. I beleive there are games that go on behind the scenes. It is now forcing me to look at our competitors for a better job.

I can go on and on....including actual illegal behavior.

Life is too short to continue at GE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Houston we have a problem in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

I will add.....review the GEOS survey if anyone doubts me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Tresca in Bridgeport, Connecticut

21 months ago

Houston we have a problem in Houston, Texas said: I can go on and on....including actual illegal behavior.

Hi,

I monitor the GE Recruiting mailbox and will look to your email so we can investigate ASAP. Please send all details as soon as you can so we can investigate.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Tim Lacey in Iraan, Texas

19 months ago

If you enjoy working with a hypocritical, prideful and biased management team then please proceed with your endeavors to work for this organization. There are a few members in the team who still respect people and listen to reasoning. Unfortunately those few still remain quiet when tough issues surface for they fear their place in the management team.

Promotions and reviews are based on your ability to make the management team warm and fuzzy. You can be a complete idiot, not work well with the team and have a major safety incident against you and still get promoted to none the less, Safety Coordinator.
Our new motto should be, "Do as I say, not as I do", especially when dealing with safety, work processes and procedures. Everyday you have to watch what and how you do your tasks as the leadership team or the 'mini-me, yes boss' team will be ready to blow the whistle on you, that is if they're not out to lunch for two hours or playing with each other in the office.

Save yourself from this endless waste of time. Pursue an innovative and challenging company (i.e. by challenging I mean via tasks, goals & objectives not by hours you work and the personal sacrifices) which rewards you both in real-time and annually at your review. A company which gives opportunities for growth and promotion based on your performance.

I thank the company for the experiences and training but I can no longer cope with the lack of proper leadership while they continue to destroy our customer's satisfaction and threaten our job security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri

19 months ago

If GE is still using the Jack Welch vitality curve performance matrix, then avoid this company like the plague. I worked for a company which used this and it's a dangerous concept, avoid any company which uses this concept. The review process becomes nothing more than a politicized popularity and butt kissing contest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri said: If GE is still using the Jack Welch vitality curve performance matrix, then avoid this company like the plague. I worked for a company which used this and it's a dangerous concept, avoid any company which uses this concept. The review process becomes nothing more than a politicized popularity and butt kissing contest.

GE stopped using force ranking years ago. Do a Google search for: WSJ GE forced ranking

Wall Street Journal said: GE has since dropped forced ranking, according to spokesman Andrew Williams. He says the company continues to "embrace differentiation," though he declined to give details on the current process. The company phased out forced ranking during the mid-2000s.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

TickTock123 in NY, New York

19 months ago

Reading young Michael Tresca's profile in LinkedIn:

He is a "Manager, Extended Audiences Communication at GE" with areas of distinction that include social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter).

Michael....are you doing anything to address the negative comments above or do you just try to counter everyone's comments?

Why do you list a recruiting mailbox instead of an integrity mailbox to address concerns?

www.linkedin.com/in/michaeltresca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

TickTock123 in NY, New York said: Reading young Michael Tresca's profile in LinkedIn:

He is a "Manager, Extended Audiences Communication at GE" with areas of distinction that include social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter).

Michael....are you doing anything to address the negative comments above or do you just try to counter everyone's comments?

Why do you list a recruiting mailbox instead of an integrity mailbox to address concerns?

www.linkedin.com/in/michaeltresca

Yes. I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't trying to help.

I manage the recruiting mailbox, that's why. I then forward inquiries on to the approriate resource as appropriate. We have a HR mailbox too, as well as a fraud mailbox, but you've got a good point -- I should list the HR mailbox for some of these issues.

I'm remote this morning but when I get in I will also provide the HR mailbox for reporting these kinds of issues. In any case, rest assured that they get taken very seriously. HR, legal, security, all know me by name (and, I suspect, dread emails/phone calls from me, but that's the way it goes).

Thanks for calling me young! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

As promised, here's the mailbox for integrity concerns unrelated to applying for a job: human.resources@corporate.ge.com

Hope that's helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Brent Tharp in Vista, California

17 months ago

Human Resources at GE aka A Funny Funny Joke...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brent Tharp in Vista, California

17 months ago

If you want some real insight in what it's like to work at this place, google for splendid synchronicity, and choose the Lunatic Fringe post. And also I'm the Boss, which will be posted soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Por ti Volare in Toronto, Ontario

17 months ago

I left GE....the corporate culture was unacceptable.

MANAGEMENT:
Managers who don't support us, don't respond to emails, and have no understanding of what we do.

QUALITY:
The product quality at times is atrocious causing huge financial losses. A senior VP commented on this issue yet nothing seems to be done.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
The billing rates are the highest in industry but there is no effort to make us the best. Customers frequenty say GE stands for "good enough".

HR:
I contacted my HRM (HR Manager) once....asking a simple question, no reply. Another colleauge contacted HR and it took 8 months to get an answer!

After I gave my notice:
No one in HR contacted me to discuss my retirement benefits/options
No one in HR contacted me advising me how my last pay would be delivered (in case my bank account or mailing address changed)

After I left I received 2 confidential letters. One related to my pension plan (nearly $100,000) and NEITHER ENVELOPE HAD A RETURN ADDRESS. One of the letters went to my OLD address even though I updated my address 4 weeks before.

POLITICS:
The internal COS system to find other jobs is rigged, for lack of better words. Confidential submissions are made but responses are not received. It appears our managers are consulted without our knowledge and nixed. I caught HR on this and let them know.

SUMMARY:
There is a high turnover on people....some last a short as 2 weeks, others 1 year. Many are disgruntled. Senior managers have commented GE cannot retain people.

About a year ago there was an article published internally ("News from GE" on the internal home page) called "Culture Shock" that talked about the "mass exodus" of technical people.

Life is too short to work there, it is simply not enjoyable, so I am happy to say I have taken my "excellent" EMS rating and started anew.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon111 in ., Texas

16 months ago

The company I worked for (which I absolutely loved, actually could see myself retiring with them) was acquired by GE a while back and I have found that GE is anything but people-friendly. You are now just a 9-digit number to them, as they give you a number for identification, not a person anymore.

While they appear to be green-minded, which is good, that actually takes precedence to being customer-minded, which is bad.

Health issues: Too many "hands in the cookie jar", delayed benefit pay, then delayed regular pay when you return. Any time you are out for an extended period, it is not your doctor that determines if it should be so, but a faceless panel through GE Disability, which are not even GE employees BTW, will determine if your doctor's recommendation is allowed or not. If you are out due to chronic issues that pop up intermittently, you have to go through the entire process again instead of it being tied to anything previous.

I am convinced there is a department whose sole job is to keep you from doing your own work. Mandatory classes that must be done during working hours, sometimes days. There is a size limit to your email, which GE daily fills up with useless emails & announcements, instead of some type of monthly newsletter for this stuff, then you can't get actual work-related emails.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

16 months ago

What's up with GE the past years - use to promote "the employer of choice". Now don't even notice folks who serve them are having frowns and growing pains.

Guess the leader doesn't feel "being liked and admired by workers" has any value importance is "the image" of leadership (top 50) and asset worth. Guess our leader will never be a Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.

I miss the days of "GE We Bring Good Things to Life". So sad our leader lost on the mountain in big castle business he doesn't even know what's going on in fields below.

You would think he would want to be renown as a kind king to his people and not a tyrant leader. We aren't a third world country or Walmart yet and bless GE for giving 2 days for Thanksgiving.

GEOS is nothing more than metrics. I just hang on everyday hoping some leader(outside my office)will take notice of the ego maniacs they are spawning. Hoping for some magic that will bring the smile back to my face. I love the customers I work with and service them 110% of my soul with integrity every day - if not for them I would walk.

Managers have a quota, advance at least 1-person per QTR)usually someone in "their" network). Need justify their leadership/growth position - keeps them in comfy salary level. Too many chiefs - jacks of all trades, masters of none. I know immediate managers who have only had 1 job before GE life -- how many people skills did they bring with them?

I deserve better, once honored to work for "We bring good things to life". Now dread managers desperate to advance own careers/family security. Their message too obvious - employees just a #. I don't care how hard I try to love my job these days it doesn't come easy.

Thanks GE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No Reply - Report abuse

Disillusioned in London, United Kingdom

15 months ago

I thought I was alone on my views on GE. It is refreshing to see that I am not.

I was with GE many years, very successful during most of them, yet hated almost every day with that company. Middle & Senior management who were disconnected from reality, didn't care or couldn't be bothered other than to look at their next career move. Internal red tape that detracted from what we should have been doing. Long, long working hours, including weekends, after-hours, holidays. Zero work/life balance. Played havoc on wife & kids. Salary & package that was average, yet GE think you owe them for this honour.

I believe any person or company should expect a decent ROI. But with GE, there is never enough. Remember, this is a company who in 2010 made $14 Billion in worldwide profit ($5.1 Billion in the U.S.) and paid ZERO tax in the US. In fact, they ended up with a rebate. GE demand huge annual price increases from their customer base, yet GE staff are lucky to get 2% salary increase - if anything at all.

Oh - and that red tape!! So many internal processes, all "mandatory". I recall the infamous end of year EMS sessions - what a waste of time and effort. Your performance was being assessed by some line manager who thought they knew more about you than you did of yourself. It was like being back at school. Inevitably you get marked down by some person you seldom see. To this day I cannot figure what the EMS was desiigned to achieve for the respective individual. Career progression? You're kidding, right?

Senior management here have got to get a grip. These illusive individuals are seldom there to support. Just useless emails (usually with a photo of them looking smug) going on about something that is of no relevance to you or your role.

GE is not a nice company to work for, unless you can play political spin, advance by being a YES man ticking GE boxes (You don't need to be productive, just tick 'em GE boxes and you'll do good)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

So Happy in Louisiana

15 months ago

Ge recently purchased the company I work for two years ago. We didn't see much change until now......now change is happening with a vengeance. I'm not in management nor am I salary. I am a union worker.....Ge doesn't like unions. I am now just a number and treated as a sub-human...animal really. Attendance policy is ridiculous for the union workers...we were told to make doctor's appointments in the off hours. We work 8 to 4:30 so guess that would leave the ER? Hate this company!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brent Tharp in Temecula, California

14 months ago

Brent Tharp in Vista, California said: If you want some real insight in what it's like to work at this place, google for splendid synchronicity, and choose the Lunatic Fringe post. And also I'm the Boss, which will be posted soon.

Well, that took longer than I thought it would. I changed the working title I'm the Boss to Kiss the Ring. Or Else. Do It Now. Also of interest might be the post That's Gonna Leave a Mark. Cheers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

debsy in Surrey, British Columbia

13 months ago

They are cut throat. Watch out.It doesn't matter what you wear, it is about how far up you want to .. you know what. Sorry, a very horrible low life company to work for. Watch your back at all times. If they don't like you, you can't do anything positive. They will get rid of you. GE is the 1% and everyone else is scum. Good riddance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Yes, I agree, GE is scum. Scum of the earth. You know they pay no taxes? Yes, that is right - write to your congressman about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Bravo! They are a horrible company to work for. No regard for families or life/work balance. I was once told that because a single gal who worked near the office came in on the weekend and I didn't (married, in suburbs) that she deserved more praise than me!!! What the heck... Really!?? This gal is a suck up and a false pretender and he doesn't see that? OK! I am so glad I am now in the public sector where no outsourcing can occur.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

I agree. The company sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Colin in United Kingdom

13 months ago

Joe in Alpharetta, Georgia said: This compay sucks, they buy up other companies wreck the customer base and refuse to take responsibility for it. If your not a GE imbred your not wanted and they make that very clear

I 100% agree. I was with my previous company for 18 years as an IT manager. Was excited when GE bought us over. How wrong I was absolutely hated it - I have a new job now and most of my former colleGues are looking to leave GE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former POW of GE in California

11 months ago

Michael Tresca in Fairfield, Connecticut said: GE stopped using force ranking years ago. Do a Google search for: WSJ GE forced ranking

They don't ADMIT to using forced rankings, but I am here to tell you that they still do. As a former manager who was not PERMITTED to rank an employee as "Top Talent" because the QUOTA had been reached, I was instructed to lower the very SUBJECTIVE "Growth Values" so overall rating would total to a score to something less than "Top Talent."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.