Geico's credit check.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Shann346 in Maryland

78 months ago

Connie in Tucson, Arizona said: If I went through the interview process and was offerred a position does that mean that my credit was already checked or do they do that afterward? I still need to go in for my drug test. I do not have the best credit and wonder if that will really matter? Thanks.

GEICO conducts drug screens, credit and background checks of applicants who’ve accepted full-time employment or internship offers.

As a financial services company, it’s important that our associates be able to advise and serve our customers. When it comes to credit checks, we’re keeping an eye out for severe financial situations, which could include multiple foreclosures and/or bankruptcies. Low credit scores or high student loan debts would not necessarily exclude someone from gaining employment at GEICO.

If you have specific concerns regarding your background and would like further information, please call the office to which you’ve applied and speak with the Human Resources manager.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Daffney in Temecula, California

76 months ago

Shann346 in Maryland said: GEICO conducts drug screens, credit and background checks of applicants who’ve accepted full-time employment or internship offers.

As a financial services company, it’s important that our associates be able to advise and serve our customers. When it comes to credit checks, we’re keeping an eye out for severe financial situations, which could include multiple foreclosures and/or bankruptcies. Low credit scores or high student loan debts would not necessarily exclude someone from gaining employment at GEICO.

If you have specific concerns regarding your background and would like further information, please call the office to which you’ve applied and speak with the Human Resources manager.

The problem with the pre-employment credit check is that they are discriminatory. Why? Because Geico does not regularly run these reports on current employees. The credit check is to vet people prior to allowing access to customers personal information. Bad credit = possible bad intentions with that information. But what if a current employee has had a divorce or foreclosure and now their credit is shot? They still have access to the customers personal info.

Basically Geico is saying...you need good credit before you can be hired. After that we don't care.

If good credit is a prerequisite of employment, it should be applied equally amongst potential and current employees.

Bad credit can prevent you from being hired...yet there may be current employees with far worse credit that happened after they were initially hired.

UNFAIR and just begging for a class action lawsuit.

Reply - Report abuse

j in Poway, California

76 months ago

I have now been entered into the "background check" process and am wondering if i have a speeding ticket and a failure to yield ticket can I still get hired? I paid the tickets and went to driving school but am just worried about that....anyone know?

Reply - Report abuse

wondering in Woburn, Massachusetts

74 months ago

I received a call on Monday morning offering me a position and was told that it was pending background which would take 2-3 days. Today I receive a large packet at home that looks like forms to fill out in order for them to do the background check. I'm confused now about if it was started or not and about how long it normally takes. There is nothing in my background but I'm supposed to start on 1/10 and would like to tell my current employer. Thank you!!

Reply - Report abuse

kaz15 in Marana, Arizona

74 months ago

I am interesting in working for Geico, however my bankruptcy was just recently discharged. I have several years of financial experience, sales and customer service and a bachelors degree. Earlier you hace stated that the credit check looks for severe financial situations, including bankruptcy. Does this mean I am automatically going to be denied employment because of my recent bk? What if the employee is more than qualified in every other area, but happens to have filed bk due to mistakes earlier in their life - how much impact will the recent bk have?

Reply - Report abuse

Daffney in Temecula, California

74 months ago

I think it might depend on if any of your discharged debts are showing in the last 5 years as late or charged off. Even though you filed the BK so you don't have to pay those debts now, they still might show if/when you payed late previous.

They use Transunion, so it may be worth your time to see if you can get a free online copy to see what is listed in the "negative accounts" section. Best of luck to you. I still don't think it is fair to take a perfect candidate with great experience, no criminal record, no drugs, etc...and decline to hire them due to a short period of financial hardship.

Reply - Report abuse

John S in Clarence, New York

73 months ago

DSW in Tucson, Arizona said: I have been hired by Geico. All I need to know is if I passed the background, credit and drug testing. Now I AM 100% sure I will pass background check and drug test, the credit check is what worries me. I have a low score, somewhere in the 595 or 600's but I don't have any collections at this point. My low score score is due to my credit cards slashing my credit limits as close to my balance as they could and two reports for paying after 30 days. Is this enough to not get "officially" hired. I recently had a credit check for my current employer and I passed and theirs is very extensive! Has anyone with bad credit gotten a job at Geico?

You probably will not get hired...... Knew of a guy you had back child support and after being "hired" the job offer was revoked... True story. A good work environment is so important to me and I could sense GEICO has some serious issues and it is not on the lower end employee side.. What a shame. Been there, seen that always ends in disaster - give it time...

Reply - Report abuse

laladon in Fitzgerald, Georgia

67 months ago

DSW in Tucson, Arizona"]I have been hired by Geico. All I need to know is if I passed the background, credit and drug testing. Now I AM 100% sure I will pass background check and drug test, the credit check is what worries me. I have a low score, somewhere in the 595 or 600's but I don't have any collections at this point. My low score score is due to my credit cards slashing my credit limits as close to my balance as they could and two reports for paying after 30 days. Is this enough to not get "officially" hired. I recently had a credit check for my current employer and I passed and theirs is very extensive! Has anyone with bad credit gotten a job at Geico?

I just wanted to know did you get the job?

Reply - Report abuse

Shann346 in Maryland

67 months ago

laladon in Fitzgerald, Georgia said: DSW in Tucson, Arizona"]I have been hired by Geico. All I need to know is if I passed the background, credit and drug testing. Now I AM 100% sure I will pass background check and drug test, the credit check is what worries me. I have a low score, somewhere in the 595 or 600's but I don't have any collections at this point. My low score score is due to my credit cards slashing my credit limits as close to my balance as they could and two reports for paying after 30 days. Is this enough to not get "officially" hired. I recently had a credit check for my current employer and I passed and theirs is very extensive! Has anyone with bad credit gotten a job at Geico?

I just wanted to know did you get the job?

Hi, I am a member of GEICO's HR team and wanted to point you in the right direction. We have some FAQs on our Careers site that address our background checks: careers.geico.com/faq#question11. Also, please feel free to contact your recruiter / local HR office with any specific questions you may have: careers.geico.com/give_us_a_call

Reply - Report abuse

Luna77 in Williamsburg, Virginia

43 months ago

KAZ15 in Marana, Arizona said: I am interesting in working for Geico, however my bankruptcy was just recently discharged. I have several years of financial experience, sales and customer service and a bachelors degree. Earlier you hace stated that the credit check looks for severe financial situations, including bankruptcy. Does this mean I am automatically going to be denied employment because of my recent bk? What if the employee is more than qualified in every other area, but happens to have filed bk due to mistakes earlier in their life - how much impact will the recent bk have?

It is actually illegal, according to the bankruptcy code (Section 525(b)), to deny someone a job because of a bankruptcy on file. However, employers CAN deny you the job due to bankruptcy and give you a different reason. If your offer of employment is revoked, you can always ask the employer why.

Reply - Report abuse

bahmed3170 in Newark, Delaware

42 months ago

Hell I am going tommorrow for my testing at the Indiana based Geico and my credit issue is making me very nervous. My credit score is very low like a 400ish. I looked at my credit and I have 6 school loans active and about ten collections one of which was recently paid. So was wondering if you work in HR... Any tips?

Reply - Report abuse

Shann346 in Maryland

42 months ago

bahmed3170 in Newark, Delaware said: Hell I am going tommorrow for my testing at the Indiana based Geico and my credit issue is making me very nervous. My credit score is very low like a 400ish. I looked at my credit and I have 6 school loans active and about ten collections one of which was recently paid. So was wondering if you work in HR ... Any tips?

Hi - I am a member of GEICO's HR team and wanted to reach out to you. At GEICO we commit to working with every candidate and review all backgrounds to ensure the best fit for all parties. We encourage you to continue in the hiring process and we will do our very best to work with you. You can read more here: www.geico.jobs/about-geico/our-hiring-process/

Reply - Report abuse

Sparxli92 in New Hyde Park, New York

34 months ago

bahmed3170 in Newark, Delaware said: Hell I am going tommorrow for my testing at the Indiana based Geico and my credit issue is making me very nervous. My credit score is very low like a 400ish. I looked at my credit and I have 6 school loans active and about ten collections one of which was recently paid. So was wondering if you work in HR ... Any tips?

So how did it go, I'm in similar position, have my interview in a few days but my credit score is low 500s with an judgement from a repo auto. And 1 closed card acct. nervous but hoping for the best!

Reply - Report abuse

lhmisme in Columbus, Georgia

34 months ago

Unfortunately credit does play a role in it. Its unfortunate for those that are truly hard working and great people. Divorce ruins people's credit and unfortunately if you try to better yourself that is used against you. Maybe companies could start with provisional employment mandating the employee be enrolled in a debt program or something of that nature as a condition of employment.

Reply - Report abuse

IndeedFan31 in Lakeland, Florida

31 months ago

I am filing for bankruptcy. I was left a huge credit card bill after my divorce. CC company has a judgement against me (ie: it was approved in court). There are also several smaller joint accounts that are in collections that my ex is supposed to pay, but refuses. The actual filing is in the next week. The credit check won't happen until the end of the month when I return for the job shadowing/manager interview.

I won't get the job for claims liability, will I?

Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Birmingham, Alabama

24 months ago

With your credit info, did you get the job?

Reply - Report abuse

Author in Atlanta, Georgia

6 months ago

I have a pending fraud charge due to someone using my identity will that keep me from getting the job?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in King George, Virginia

6 months ago

I worked there from 02-04. I was in a very bad place in my late teens, early twenties and made the biggest mistake of my life--leaving GEICO. I was hired again in 2009, however, my credit was sub par (putting it lightly). I also got in trouble with the law--four misdemeanors ten years ago. Since 2009, I took the copy of consumer report you all mailed me and decided I wasn't giving up. I've held a steady customer service job, paid all judgments and have stellar credit, received a bachelor's in business from UMW with honors. I'm about to take my P&C exam in a couple weeks on my own accord. I applied there and was interviewed in VA Beach and I brought my consumer report to show all the "crossed off" items I paid by bussing tables for seven years. I was the top agent on the floor. In my early twenties, I made mistakes, now I'm in my early thirties. Is it possible I'll never get a chance? In the past seven years, I researched all elements of how to become employable in the financial sector-- I would pass a consumer report in compliance with Violence Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. I was hired in 2009, but was denied due to consumer report and I've literally pinned the report on my wall for seven years and completely cleaned it all up. If that was the reason why I was denied employment and all those negative items are now paid and gone,does that not merit some form of consideration? If I'm this determined to work there, would I leave again? I love GEICO, leaving was the biggest mistake of my life. Will I ever be considered again? If I was hired, I guarantee you that I would be the best agent on the floor as I was, consistently, for a year and a half. I feel as though I deserve a second chance.

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in King George, Virginia

6 months ago

Author in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have a pending fraud charge due to someone using my identity will that keep me from getting the job?

It most likely will (I'm sorry). I cannot be certain, as it is pending. But GEICO is in the financial sector, they have to make sure the agents they "appoint" are legally allowed to handle private information. If GEICO appoints you, they are allowing you to make legally binding decisions based on their accord. If you were to do something bad, they would be held liable and would be for negligent hiring based on VC&LEA of 1994. Again, I'm not in HR, but have really worked on trying to get back into the company. This is something I've learned while doing so.

Reply - Report abuse

Nickodemus in Pennsylvania

29 days ago

Daffney in Temecula, California said: The problem with the pre-employment credit check is that they are discriminatory. Why? Because Geico does not regularly run these reports on current employees. The credit check is to vet people prior to allowing access to customers personal information. Bad credit = possible bad intentions with that information. But what if a current employee has had a divorce or foreclosure and now their credit is shot? They still have access to the customers personal info.

Basically Geico is saying...you need good credit before you can be hired. After that we don't care.

If good credit is a prerequisite of employment, it should be applied equally amongst potential and current employees.

Bad credit can prevent you from being hired...yet there may be current employees with far worse credit that happened after they were initially hired.

UNFAIR and just begging for a class action lawsuit.

There are no regulations requiring companies to apply the same regulations or standards for hiring to maintaining employment at companies. Also they do keep track of current employees as they must resubmit thier information thru out thier tenure at GEICO for state licencing requirmemts. These are required and controlled by the state insurance board and not GEICO. If you do lie or refuse to provide the information that state may deny a license therefore giving grounds for termination. GEICO has a heavy focus on integrity so in your past of there is evidence of poor judgment or having low integrity they may not offer you a position. As far as a class action suit I do not see a lawyer willing to take on something that is not illegal and go against the legal team of the parent company.

Reply - Report abuse

Nickodemus in Pennsylvania

29 days ago

There are no regulations requiring companies to apply the same regulations or standards for hiring to maintaining employment at companies. Also they do keep track of current employees as they must resubmit thier information thru out thier tenure at GEICO for state licencing requirmemts. These are required and controlled by the state insurance board and not GEICO. If you do lie or refuse to provide the information that state may deny a license therefore giving grounds for termination. GEICO has a heavy focus on integrity so in your past of there is evidence of poor judgment or having low integrity they may not offer you a position. As far as a class action suit I do not see a lawyer willing to take on something that is not illegal and go against the legal team of the parent company.

Reply - Report abuse

jamiesingress in Virginia Beach, Virginia

28 days ago

Nicodemus,

SPOT ON!!!! Never looked at it like that. They got sued years ago because they require you to show up 15-20 minutes early to log into their systems and get your leash (I mean phone cord) ready with volume etc.... but they only paid you from the second you logged on. Twenty minutes a day adds up. Their snobby as hell (Andrea from VA Beach HR) she's the ESPN reporter on video despicably bashing the repo lot attendant, LOL , IN my opinion with my dealings with her. The culture at GEICO is low cost provider, yet HR costs them so much more than they should. I'm an HR rep now and although I'm low in the totem poll, people walk in and know the culture of the company is great and supportive. Walk into to VA Beach HR and the security guards won't look at you. Lady on right with co.outer room won't wither, she's on her cell, and old man and kind of old lady will star. GEICO HR get off your soap box and stop throwing stones. (Please be advised that this is my personal opinion from multiple dealings with them)

Reply - Report abuse

Nickodemus

23 days ago

Yeah they can't enforce make u show up early anymore. They definetly try to do things that may seem sketchy but I have learned if you threaten to investigate it or make a complaint to a agency outside HR like the labor board they change their attitude very quickly. I think they do it and wait to see 9f anyone notices. I am a,current employee and have gone thru a few different situations with GEICO and HR and practices that they roll out. But you just got to roll with the punches pick your battles and never give up.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.