GameStop Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at GameStop?

What do you like best about working at GameStop? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Will

95 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at GameStop?

What do you like best about working at GameStop? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

What are the Benefits at Gamestop as a Manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (107) Reply - Report abuse

a jgp in Newark, Delaware

85 months ago

Game Stop is a company of BULLCRAP! For instance, I personally bring in over $500K in sales per year. However, after bonuses I make less than 25K per year. That means that I make 5% of my total revenue in salary. If I increase my sales, my salary does not increase. In response to the post, a discount of 15% is actually a decrease of the 20% discount that the company once offered. In addition Game Stop has also reduced the number of paid holidays. Currently the company pays for 4 holidays - Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, and 4th of July. However, employees only get off on Christmas and Thanksgiving.

In addition, employees are considered less than customers when it comes to store policies. As an example, customers are allowed to cancel reserves at any time. However, employees are required to receive District Manager (DM) approval before canceling reserves. Also, as stated previously, company benefits have declined.

When I started as a Game Stop employee in 2004 our discount was 20%. In addition, managers received more paid holidays (Memorial & Labor day), and were required to work less hours.

Currently, if there is a midnight release, store managers are required to work both the midnight launch AND the following day, this is "company policy". As things stand now, Game Stop has bought out it's major competition (Electronics Boutique). However, the number of hours assigned per store has decreased even as sales have increased.

Why? Because Game Stop is cheap and is ruled by the board. They couldn't care less about their employees. Clearly, an employee who brings in $500k is worth as much as an employee who brings in $200k. This is proven by the fact that the employees are paid the same regardless of the income they provide. There is no commission given for sales over a specific amount, however the company pushes for associates to reach sales goals with no incentive other than retaining their job.

Care for customers? Why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (182) / No (227) Reply - Report abuse

Nobody12 in Atlanta, Georgia

72 months ago

a jgp in Newark, Delaware said: To continue my earlier post - The company is completely out of touch with their employees.

In order to sell merchandise to customers you need employees. Therefor, employees should come before customers. If your employees are unhappy, your customers will also be unhappy.

To any Game Stop managers who read this post... Pay attention to the people who are running your stores, because they are the ones who decide your revenue. Customers come and go, however strong employees will always provide a boon to your company.

That is actually Bass akwards. You dont need employees to sell anything. People can buy stuff online. The customer owns your job. Without them... you're done. And these "Strong employees" should keep customers coming back to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (74) Reply - Report abuse

CW in Urbana, Illinois

71 months ago

a jgp in Newark, Delaware said: Game Stop is a company of BULLCRAP! For instance, I personally bring in over $500K in sales per year. However, after bonuses I make less than 25K per year. That means that I make 5% of my total revenue in salary.

In the years ending in 2008 and 2009, GameStop (NYSE:GME) had revenue of $7094M and $8806M and profit of $288M $398M, respectively. That means the company made 4-4.5% of their total revenue in profit. Which means you effectively get a bigger cut of the pie than the company itself.

(Granted, the company has many pieces and you only have one.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

03PlatinumZ in Raleigh, North Carolina

66 months ago

Personally the only reason I stay at GameStop is the people I work with and deal with! All of the employee's have known each other outside of work prier to working for GS so working with them makes life alot easier. All of the customers are regulars so we never have problems with them. The pay sucks and the benefits are just not there. Also we can never participate in any GS hosted tournaments which is BS so really their is no reason to work at GameStop unless you just really want too....... The Modern Warfare 2 tourny is coming up and I really wanted to enter but it is run by Activision but hosted at local GameStops so no one can enter them.... which makes no sense because the employee's have no advantages WHAT SO EVER!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Drewx760 (gt) in Victorville, California

56 months ago

i work at game stop, have another job at In-N-Out, and go to college. i almost NEVER get hours at gamestop but work there just for the benefits, which arnt that amazing but i dont complain. my manager is a very cool guy and the few times he does call me to work he asks me about when im free and schedules around school and Job-2. so even if you dont wanna WORK at gamestop, if you play video games it is a nice job to have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Mason in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

I'm sick of people complaining about working at GameStop. Keep in mind that most of the people complaining probably expected to loaf around. Unfortunatly it's a real job. Quite whining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Sam Lewis in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

It's also worth noting that customers come into the store with the mind of buying a game. You're just the one manning a register. To say that you sell 500k of product a year is a bit of self flattery. Do you go out and sell things to people at their homes or in public? No, they're coming into a store that you WORK AT. Usually they know what they came there for already. It's a simple retail job, and it's not designed to offer you a 6 figure salary. I worked at gamestop when I was a kid too..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.