What's the company culture at GEICO?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 84)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at GEICO?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at GEICO?

Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Macon, Georgia

80 months ago

I have been at Geico 2 years now and I am not gonna lie the hiring process was a bit tedious but I made it an dtook the test and I love it . Geico wants you to be on time and be the constant proffesional with great customer service and interaction but in exchange you get great benefits great money parties all the time and always an incentive to selll sell Geico is even paying for me to go and get my masters. The profit sharing checks are nice and you determine your success at Geico not by who you know or who you do but what you do its a great company apply on line and give it a shot iT'S NOT PERFECT BUT ITS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Arlington, Virginia

80 months ago

Geico is one of the cheapest company in the world
Their policies are just unreasonable
It's all about who you know,if you don't know anyone forget it you cannot get promotion.
Their dependability rate is just unhead off, if you fall below 95% you cannot be promoted, the funny thing is if you call in sick that will affect your dependability so just imagine
Their bathrooms ware horrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

geico is cheap in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

I admire what Berkshire Hathaway (i.e., GEICO's parent company) has done as a business and financially, but the company is ultra-cheap. I've never worked for GEICO, but I did "interview" (you'll see the reason for the quotes later) with them about 2 years ago at their corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland for an actuarial position. An actuary is basically a mathematician/statistician that works with spreadsheets all day figuring out what to charge for insurance premiums. It's a really boring job, but normally it pays pretty well.

When I interviewed, I had been working as a statistician for the federal government for about 4 years was making around 66K a year (I started at 32K out of school in 2001). It was an OK salary, but I'm from Arizona originally and the DC area is very expensive so it's not really that much around DC. So, 66K was about the going rate in the DC area for a mathematician with 4 years of experience when I applied.

I went into the GEICO interview with 2 actuarial exams passed (you have an exam process in that profession) and 4 years of actual experience. The HR representative had me fill out an application before my day-long interview, which including salary expectations. I put down around 70K (everyone want on the application and then I went to the first person I interviewed.

The interview went really well and I enjoyed talking to the interviewer. She seemed really nice. When we finished and it was time to go to the next interview, the HR representative came up to me with a look of panic on her face. She pulled me into a side room and said the position only paid 35K. Then, she asked me if I wanted to continue the day-long interview anyway. I asked her how flexible the salary was if they really wanted me and she told me they might kick it up 1K to 36K. I was like "No - I don't think it's a good fit" and then went home and enjoyed the rest of my day off since I didn't have to take a job that would put me back 4 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Long time customer in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

80 months ago

Angela in Macon, Georgia said: Geico wants you to be on time and be the constant professional with great customer service and interaction

And as a customer of GEICO for about 25 years now, may I say that we appreciate your hard work and professionalism. Every time I have ever had to contact customer service I have ALWAYS been pleased with the results. The rates are wonderful and I would recommend GEICO insurance to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

wfz in Cincinnati, Ohio

78 months ago

How is the management job there at Geico? Any feedback?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dangello in Knoxville, Tennessee

76 months ago

Geico is horror with florescent lighting. Serious I worked 5 years in Woodbury. They give all the easy area codes to the select few then screw over everyone else. No matter what you do you stink. The pay is garbage everyone has the same goals and you can get a horrible state you have to sell in and the person next to you gets easy states and geico gives you both same goals.Avoid this job and horror at all costs. There profit sharing isnt even based on profit its based on customer service based on insane standards. I'll give you an example. You can have a perfect phone call, sell everything and do everything right and then get called into an office and yelled at because at 10 seconds into call you didnt thank by name or sell them some garbage they didnt need and didnt want. Geico stinks and they promote few and when they do they are normally morons. We had a saying at geico 'worse then aids.'I left on good terms and on my last day they go 'we only confirm or deny you work here we don't give out letters of reccommendations. I would rather work in freaking Iraq!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Honesty is the best policy in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

I worked for GEICO as a CSR and was promoted to a Management role in the Woodbury Office, prior to leaving GEICO.

GEICO is a tough work environment. It is very strict. After you pass the 2 month training program and become a CSR, you will be placed on the floor (the call center). You will be assigned to a section, which is managed by a supervisor. Your supervisor will probably monitor your phone calls everyday...even if you are a senior employee.

You have to maintain phone statistics and GEICO has impossible phone standards.

After you are finished with one phone call and still typing...another phone call beeps in. Its a very hectic work environment.

You will be given a schedule that tells you when you can take 15 minutes to go to the bathroom and 45 minutes for your lunch break. (I had a situation where a Manager wanted an employee punished because he could not hold it in and went to the bathroom before his 15 minute allowed bathroom break. Its illogical. People cannot control when they can or cannot go to the bathroom. That Manager only thought about how that employee's call time statistics were affecting her bonus).

You will be criticized for everything related to your phone call, including the emotional tone of your voice (You didn't have enough empathy in your voice).

Out of my CSR class of approximately 30 people, only 1 person still works in GEICO.

Its sad to say, but there is alot of office politics in the Woodbury Office. You will even get in trouble for calling the head of the Woodbury office by his last name. He scolds people for not calling him "Bob". He doesn't want people calling "Mr. ******".

I wish GEICO started treated people like the human beings they are. However, they treat people like robots in the call center and its a very hard work environment. Its tougher than most call center environments. That's why there is a high turnover in this office. Be prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Honesty is the best policy in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

ADVICE WHEN APPLYING TO WORK FOR GEICO.

If you are applying for a job at GEICO, do not apply for the call center positions. (I've seen alot of people lose their sanity in the call center).

Apply for the positions that are outside of the call center.

People in the other departments look down on employees that work in the call center, mail room, and maintenance department. Its unfair and not right...but that's the reality.
If you work in one of these departments, there is a stigma that goes along with that department. There are alot of stuck up and superficial people working in GEICO (Woodbury) that judge others by the department they work in. That's my advice for those that are applying to GEICO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tommy_gunn in San Diego, California

76 months ago

"Honesty is the best policy" is spot on with just about everything I saw in my 1 year with Geico. Although more than 95% of the positions are inside call center, unless you are a field claims rep or marketing person. All sales and CSR positions are inside call center style - you are 'strapped' to a phone that you have to log in/out of every time you want to leave your cube.

You are meticulously timed on your breaks, lunches, bathroom stops. When it was busy hour, with 50 calls on hold, they used to call down to supervisor stations asking why 'Bob' was clocked out of his phone for 10 minutes. Bob was in the bathroom man! Let the guy do his business.

Raises? Only if you are in the top 10% of your division. I got a 12% raise on my first review, but that was because I was in the top level of 350 agents and worked overtime. Bonus or commission? Very weak for how much premium $$ you bring in to the company. Guys making 150 sales ($2000+ policies) are making beans for commission.

If you want a stable job, and have sales or CSR skills to keep yourself in the top % of the company, it is a fine job to start with. I got my insurance license, was taught how to sell, and left after a year. I now make six figures in the insurance industry as a broker. I am glad I learned from Geico, but would have killed myself if I stayed any longer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank Leigh in Chesapeake, Virginia

75 months ago

Dear Lord, doesn't sound like it's any different than working at USAA...

I worked there 8 years and had the same exact problems as listed above. It was only when I found out the stress was actually killing me slowly that I decided to leave.

I think the turnover was about 42% last I heard.

However, if you go to the USAA forum, you'll see a LOT more unhappy folks...at least they have shared it more on their forum.

As the saying goes, doesn't look like the grass IS greener on the other side. Sigh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tommy_gunn in So Cal, California

75 months ago

No Frank, the grass is not always greener. Always best to do research before diving into something new.

Turnover at GEICO in the sales dept was 50%!!! If that doesn't tell you enough right there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jam430 in Wausau, Wisconsin

74 months ago

How many sales per month does a typical rep make? What are the typical sales goals?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Jam430:
In the San Diego location they are now at like 120 sales a month for quota, to the best of my knowledge. When I was there in 02-03 it was around 65 or so. The quota is up and the commission is up, but it is still not comparable to other high quota jobs. The commission is not fair compared to the sales premiums you are bringing in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jam430 in Wausau, Wisconsin

74 months ago

Thanks for the info.....do you know if you are licensed in certain states or regions, or do you take calls from all over the country?

How many calls do you normally take in a day if the sales goals are that high?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I was licensed in like 13 western states, including CA, AZ, WA, NV, HI, AK, and so on. Whatever region you are in you are usually licensed in a bunch of states surrounding your region, so you can take endless calls from all those states. I don't if it changed but they may have added more states to each region to help take excess calls from other states during busy times.

You are taking calls all day long from the minute you log into your phone. So it depends on if you are selling or not how many calls you take. But if the typical call takes 10 minutes to go through the application, you are talking 6-7 calls an hour for 7+ hours. Less if you sell 5-6 a day, as it takes longer to go through the binding process.

The job basically consists of a shared cubicle, a simple Dell computer with the GEICO software and not much else, and you locked into your phone system, which monitors your every second. That is what you do for 7.5 hours a day. There is no paperwork or anything else to do. If the calls are slow then you sit around and chat and if they let you, read a magazine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MsCarrie75 in Norfolk, Virgin Islands

74 months ago

Wow, what a website! Wish it had been around when I started at GEICO in VB.

I was there for 5 years on the phone in sales. I hated it. I loved my paycheck because I was making $50K a year to BS on the phone. But, the stress was unbelievable.

To make a long story short, a group of us were fired the day before we were to all be presented with the yearly awards. They kept us long enough to make them thousands and thousands of dollars, and then literally the day before we were to receive our yearly rewards and plaques we were fired. They said something about us abusing their system, which none of us knew what in the heck they were talking about.

I was one month from a 5 year tenure and days away from a huge profit sharing check. Days.. I think it was less than a week. I had about $20K in my 401K thankfully so that is how I lived until I found another position. Ranked 10th locally and 25th nationally. They fired #1 in the country the same day as me. Ethics? They screwed us without lube.

I've known several people get screwed there. You work yourself to the bone. OH, here's a pizza please work through lunch, stay on the phone. Food, food, food was a reward all the time. I was 230lbs when I left that hell hole. Happily I am 150 now :)

When you get out of the Geico jail you will realize that the place really was a legal prison. I remember going to the Nurse downstairs for the shakes and she said 'Are you in sales?' and I said 'Yep' and she said I should go talk to my Dr. for anxiety. That is when I slowly started to realize the money wasn't worth it. I knew a lot of people on Prozac (the drug of choice at the time) and who drank a lot because of that job. It's not easy being in any call center, but the Geico experience made me never want to put a head set on again. I turned down a job at USAA making more than I make now just because of the head set issue. Never again for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Frank Leigh in Chesapeake, Virginia

74 months ago

MsCarrie75 in Norfolk, Virgin Islands said: Ethics? They screwed us without lube.

I knew a lot of people on Prozac (the drug of choice at the time) and who drank a lot because of that job.

I turned down a job at USAA making more than I make now just because of the headset issue. Never again for me.

Gotta say that it is the exact same way @ USAA. Just check out this same indeed site under company USAA...

Zoloft seemed to be the drug of choice in Norfolk. Shoulda' had bowls on each desk full of it, like M&Ms. Hehehe.

I was crazy enough to go thru the entire interview process with Geico after leaving USAA, and much to my happiness, even the interviewer knew that Geico wouldn't be ANY different at all, and I'd ultimately end up leaving there as well. I began stressing again, just thinking about going back to that same environment! And a high stress environment didn't bother me at all while in the military and in the desert previously.

Maybe this is the new work standard for companies such as these? Maybe the consumers lust for cheaper and cheaper insurance is driving the employees to a drug or alcohol induced stupor just to get thru the day...

I'd entertain any good ideas for a better job in the Hampton Roads area...minus the headsets obviously. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MsCarrie75 in Norfolk, Virginia

74 months ago

It depends on your situation. If you have medical/dental/etc benefits through a spouse already, then an Agency type position may be up your ally. The pay isn't really there (lucky to find $12.00/hour...) but the stress isn't there either. It's bankers hours, usually no weekends or holidays and a tight knit environment. You will learn a lot more about insurance than just pumping out the required lines/verses you're fed to pump out.
I worked in a Nationwide agency for almost 2 years and then went back to a Corporate environment and love it. No headset. I run an office on the Peninsula. Big Brother is around, but not nearly in the capacity I was used to with GEICO. I do my deposit paperwork, I sell, I do CSR... but I have a nice Corporate umbrella to protect me.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tommy_gunn in sunny beaches, California

74 months ago

Wow MsCarrie I don't know what crack you were smoking to stay at GEICO for so long, but you should bottle it and sell it. Five years at that place is insane, and for $50k? I don't know if that is a lot out there in VA, but in SD if that is all you are making after 5 years, you shouldn't be happy. But we both know the commission structure at GEICO was terrible. I stayed a year, got up to 12/340 and realized I wasn't any better in their eyes than the guy at 300/340. As a salesman you want to be with a company where being a top seller matters, counts, and brings you the loot.

I tell you what too MsCarrier - I sure hope you have a lawyer about that firing before your reward/profit sharing day. That is called WRONGFUL TERMINATION. Believe me you can win that case in a heartbeat. They cannot fire you before you get paid a bonus that you earned in the prior year, no way jose. That is grade A wrongful termination.

I think about 50% of the women in my location had the same weight problem you did - every female there gained 50lbs in their first year. Similar to the college dorm theory of the freshman 15, we called it the GEICO 50.

You guys want to stay in insurance and make money? Go be a broker. I have been a commercial insurance broker for almost 4 years, and I am well into six figures. I wear a wireless headset all day, walk around my office talking on it in my jeans and t shirt. I go to an hour lunch, maybe longer. I come and go as I want. Auto and home insurance is too competitive. Commercial and other lines are much easier and there is a much larger arena for products.

Good luck to you and Frank. GEICO is a sh*thole and hopefully we can save a few people from death if they read these comments first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Oh I did try and get the loot. And I called a lawyer. In VA, it's a right to work state so apparently they can do whatever they want. And big, bad GEICO lied to unemployment about us "abusing their system"... still have no idea on that but I heard later it was a glitch.

Anyway! They did try to say I couldn't have my sales bonus for the last 3 months they owed me and I got it all. It took almost a year, but my Aunt works for the Dept of Labor and a bunch of us fired folk filed for it and won. The State threatented to fine them if they didn't pay us. Shortly thereafter new employees were signing contracts and all sorts of crap so GEICO wouldn't be stuck doing that again.

As far as the profit sharing bonus, the State said it's not a guaranteed bonus nor part of our employment or however it was worded was in Geico's favor. It was just good enough for me to know I did get my last 3 months of bonus and they had to pay. I felt pretty good when I got that check.

When you say broker - do you mean open my own agency and sell the different companies? I do that now but of course I don't own the agency.

I used to say the GEICO 50 too - how funny. I can't tell you how many times we were rewarded with food. Thank God I lost it and started running again.

$50k/year here is decent unfortunately. I am sure if I was a business owner I'd be like you but for the worker bee, it's good. The top dog at the time was pulling in the 60s and she was #1 in the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PATTYRAE in Ramona, California

71 months ago

THE WORK ATMOSPHERE IS BUSINESS CASUAL, MOST PEOPLE DRESS MORE CASUAL THAN BUSINESS. I WORK IN THE UND DEPARTMENT, WE RECENTLY MERGED W/ SERVICE. WE NOW WEAR HEADSETS, HAVE PHONE STATS, A-CALL GOALS, QUALITY AND PRODUCTION GOALS. CUSTOMERS NOW CALL UNDS DIRECTLY. WE HAVE TO CALL CUSTOMERS ON TERMINATIONS AND BASICALLY KISS THEIR BEHINDS TO MAKE THE A-CALL GOALS. WE ARE NO LONGER UNDERWRITERS, BUT UNDERWRITERS, SERVICE COUNSELORS, PROCESSING TECHNICIANS AND PAYMENT CLERKS. THE JOB IS VERY STRESSFUL AND SOMETIMES THE GOALS ARE UNOBTAINABLE. MANY OF US ARE ON MEDS. I STAY FOR THE PENSION PLAN..AND PROFIT SHARING LOANS. ONCE MY LOANS ARE PAID FOR, ITS ADIOS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

b girl in San Diego, California

71 months ago

OK, let me shock you both, 15 years+ with the big lizard GEICO. It totally stinks because if you are good at your job they treat you like junk unless you have a college degree & know how to french kiss butts!

I have know a few people that were "let go" before profit sharing. If they have the legal reason to fire you, you can't get the profit sharing. Here in San Diego they usually double check the legal reason before they can you. I know of 4 law suits brought against them for illegal terms and only 1 case got a settlement.

I'm super interested in how Tommie became a broker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

PATTYRAE in Ramona, California said: THE WORK ATMOSPHERE IS BUSINESS CASUAL, MOST PEOPLE DRESS MORE CASUAL THAN BUSINESS. I WORK IN THE UND DEPARTMENT, WE RECENTLY MERGED W/ SERVICE. WE NOW WEAR HEADSETS, HAVE PHONE STATS, A-CALL GOALS, QUALITY AND PRODUCTION GOALS. CUSTOMERS NOW CALL UNDS DIRECTLY. WE HAVE TO CALL CUSTOMERS ON TERMINATIONS AND BASICALLY KISS THEIR BEHINDS TO MAKE THE A-CALL GOALS. WE ARE NO LONGER UNDERWRITERS, BUT UNDERWRITERS, SERVICE COUNSELORS, PROCESSING TECHNICIANS AND PAYMENT CLERKS. THE JOB IS VERY STRESSFUL AND SOMETIMES THE GOALS ARE UNOBTAINABLE. MANY OF US ARE ON MEDS. I STAY FOR THE PENSION PLAN..AND PROFIT SHARING LOANS. ONCE MY LOANS ARE PAID FOR, ITS ADIOS!

And let's not forget that with all the multi-tasking the underwriters do not, they are still not able to get a higher grade level, more pay, or any flexiblilty in their schedules. God help you if you need time to take care of yourself or your family too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

tommy_gunn in sunny beaches, California

71 months ago

b girl - becoming a broker is easy. There are dozens of brokerages in SD, just go do a google search. Target Insurance, Hunter Ins, Rock 10, Salmen Ins, etc etc.

I am now leaving the INS business for software, but I advise you to check out becoming a broker, you can make a lot of money and live a much better lifestyle.

Post an email addy if you want more info ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

tommy_gunn in sunny beaches, California said: b girl - becoming a broker is easy. There are dozens of brokerages in SD, just go do a google search. Target Insurance, Hunter Ins, Rock 10, Salmen Ins, etc etc.

I am now leaving the INS business for software, but I advise you to check out becoming a broker, you can make a lot of money and live a much better lifestyle.

Post an email addy if you want more info ....

THANKS TOMMY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kevinquisitor in Auburndale, Florida

71 months ago

Hey Tommy, my email is whatdowiiknow@gmail.com

I have 2+ years in a call center environment selling in the telecommunications field but I left for about the same reasons. Recently I have looked at Geico for employment and the path you took is intriguing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

happymom in San Mateo, California

70 months ago

GEICO is a great company. Unfortunately, some of the management gets hired from outside the company and lacks both maturity and professionalism. I have been happy for three years and am hoping to retire there but many, many young or inexperienced management make it hard. It is sad to see such a great organization go down because of a few bad apples. I have seen some top management and even supervisors with incredible skill and management techniques -but sadly the great are overshadow by the sadly incompetent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Tommy -
Can you give me more info on the broker life too? Like I said before - I basically do this (?) for about 10 different companies... all P&C, Life & Health now too. I would love to work on my own, maybe hire one person for the phones/books/etc - but would love to be my own boss.
Any books you can recommend or links?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KCamberos in San Diego, California

69 months ago

I applied at GEICO for a Claims Adjuster position. I thought the interview process was ridiculous!

First you are given a series of tests on a computer, e.g. grammar, math, etc. If you are called back for a second interview they put you in this simulation room that is suppose to be your office and you are given an instruction manual and about five mock claim files. I don’t remember how many minutes you have to read the entire instruction manual and then start taking phone calls but it is not enough time. One phone call after another nonstop and they don’t give you a chance to look anything up.

I did not do to well because the people who worked there, the people who were interviewing me and the interview process as a whole, turned me off. So I just winged it and started making up stuff and promising the people on the other line that we were going to cover all of their damage even though it wasn’t covered in their fake policy (it was funny because I could hear them laughing at the stuff I was coming up with).

I do think the key to passing this part of the interview is to sound sympathetic to the fake customer on the phone and if you do not know something offer to look to see if they are covered for such damages or offer to call them back. I do not think I sounded sympathetic at all because I just felt it was ridiculous.

Now that I read everyone else’s comments about GEICO I am glad I did not get the job and instead went back to school to obtain a teaching credential.

I hope this information was helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kowal in Boston, Massachusetts

67 months ago

b girl in San Diego, California said: THANKS TOMMY!

b girl - where you able to get some info from Tommy re the loan broker? Would you mind e-mailing me a short blurb or posting a response. kowalski608 at gmail
Thanks a lot!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

guysmiley in New Jersey

65 months ago

i'm going to be interviewing for a PIP examiner position in the marlton, nj office. any advice about the position or interview process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lenny in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

How much can one expect as a claims adjuster, call center?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris22 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Anyone work as an Auto Damage Adjuster?

What can you tell me about your experience in this position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

kapusta in Tampa, Florida

52 months ago

There's a job posting for "Field Liability Representative - Tallahassee, FL" but the
"Location" is in Lakeland, FL.

Is this a sign of the HR department's abilities?

Does anybody work in the Tampa area (Lakeland)? (Customer Service, Claims, etc)
Is the training in Lakeland and the work location in Tallahassee? Or vice versa?

What do the Lakeland people think about their GEICO experiences?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

buffalo pro in Buffalo, New York

51 months ago

Boy does all of the above ring true. In my 30 yr work history, I have found geico to be the most stressfull work environment.
I am just around the 5 yrs with geico, and if the enconomy hadn't tanked, I would have never have stayed that long.
Geico came to our area 6 yrs ago because they know that people are desperate for jobs. But even here they cannot keep the positions filled because the company is so terrible to work for.
To other posters who have mentioned the criteria for promotions, be assurred that it is no mistake that they want morons and "yes men" in their management. You are not allowed to have an independent thought or ever question a goal, a company policy, or anyone who is a "superior". Employees who do that are soon former employees.
All people who work in the Buffalo office should read these posts, especially the people in underwriting. What has been done in other regions will soon take place here.
For those who are here considering Geico for employment. STAY AWAY! Take a little less money elsewhere and start to build a career for yourself. You can only suceed here if you have a College degree and no respect for others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

soldmysoultothegecko in Ashburn, Virginia

51 months ago

dont do it...dont sell your soul to the devil...the devil is disguised as a little green lizard...seriously this place will suck the life from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lkldgrl in Lakeland, Florida

51 months ago

kapusta in Tampa, Florida said: There's a job posting for "Field Liability Representative - Tallahassee, FL" but the
"Location" is in Lakeland, FL.

Is this a sign of the HR department's abilities?

Does anybody work in the Tampa area (Lakeland)? (Customer Service, Claims, etc)
Is the training in Lakeland and the work location in Tallahassee? Or vice versa?

What do the Lakeland people think about their GEICO experiences?

The Geico office is located in Lakeland, however they do have field reps all over the state. The position is likely in Tallahassee.

I work in the claims department as a CSR at the Lakeland location. I've been there for a year and while everyone talks about the great benefits and the awesome opportunities and profit sharing - I won't make it another year there.

If you do not like to be micro-managed, taught by humiliation tactics or made to feel as though you are stupid then the call center is not the place for you.

You are held accountable for things that you have no control over and those very things affect your raise and your ability to move to other positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

What about the "position": "Insurance Development Path"?
Is that a real job, or is it just something to lure you in so that that can sell you down to a lesser position?

Does anyone in the Lakeland, Florida branch of GEICO, or any branch of GEICO, work in that training experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Also, I wish there were more postings about what it's like to work at GEICO in Lakeland, Florida.

If you have a friend who works in Customer Service or Claims in Lakeland, please have them post.

bubbleboyblue99 in Dallas, Texas

50 months ago

Boy I stumbled upon this in a job search and other than the few positive comments (like by the person working in HR) it is really not positive! I seem to me that on other forums too. I've never applied at geico personally but have friends who have had LOTS of really negative things to say (espcially when I lived in NY). Many people on these forums also seem to complain about the hiring process.

I even saw one guy who said that he contacted some big lawfirm that was in the news (www.roselawyers.com/)if I remember rite. The sight says they do class action lawsuits for hiring that descriminates against race and older people. Didn't say what happened but in my opinion, someone should do something. Big companies like this can't just keep getting away treating people badly.

Since this guy contacted this lawfirm, maybe others have. Wouldn't that be great if someone actually did something versus just complain! I say if you have ever applied at geico and weren't hired...maybe you should look at that lawfirm's site! Even call-maybe they have one started you could get in on now and make some money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jlicurse in Hicksville, New York

49 months ago

Thank god I caught this today. I applied just as a whim, I'm desperate for money and the economy is terrible and I have a background in insurance, but I don't know if I'll go on my interview on Tuesday hearing about this stuff. I know I can't sit for 7+ hours and do nothing else...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bubbleboyblue99 in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Well I say go to the interview and if you don't get hired (and you happen to be over 40, a woman or a minority race) then you call that lawyer! From what I have seen it would be WELL worth your time if they are doing things as wrong as it sounds and this lawyer is able to sue them!

bernard in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

i think it is my post you saw somewhere bubble boy. my dad had posted some things and I did. i was actually researching suing geico for unfair hiring. i had many friends who applied and didn't get hired - not just me. but none of us are over 40 - which is where the lawyer thinks they are bad at descrimination based on some tests/interview questions. the lawfirm also thinks they might be breaking the law in some regions with minorities such as african american. i am telling you, i can't sue, but this lawyer thinks there might be something here - she said so. so someone just needs to call them. again - as bubble said - "roselawyers.com" their number is on the site becuase they won't let me post it here. someone please call them.

bernard w.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Dear "Shann346 in Maryland" in GEICO's HR department (or someone in the Tampa HR department)-

How many Insurance Development Path team members are welcomed in per year? Of those, what percent complete the training?

What is the title at the end of it and what is the average pay of those associates on their first day out of the program?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

formeremployee in Iowa City, Iowa

47 months ago

buffalo pro in Buffalo, New York said: Boy does all of the above ring true. In my 30 yr work history, I have found geico to be the most stressfull work environment.
I am just around the 5 yrs with geico, and if the enconomy hadn't tanked, I would have never have stayed that long.
Geico came to our area 6 yrs ago because they know that people are desperate for jobs. But even here they cannot keep the positions filled because the company is so terrible to work for.
To other posters who have mentioned the criteria for promotions, be assurred that it is no mistake that they want morons and "yes men" in their management. You are not allowed to have an independent thought or ever question a goal, a company policy, or anyone who is a "superior". Employees who do that are soon former employees.
All people who work in the Buffalo office should read these posts, especially the people in underwriting. What has been done in other regions will soon take place here.
For those who are here considering Geico for employment. STAY AWAY! Take a little less money elsewhere and start to build a career for yourself. You can only suceed here if you have a College degree and no respect for others.

I don'tknow how to post my own comment so I just replied to this one. Geico says that it only confirms or denies employment, but it is telling all the places that I apply that I was fired. Does anyone know of a national phone number I could give on my apps instead of the local number where I know they are saying bad things about me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bernardette in New York

44 months ago

Can someone tell me how long does Geico take to send a rejection email or call because I passed the multitasking and typing test and then I had the phone interview which I don't think I did so well because I wasn't offer a f2f interview. Its been 4 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JustSomeGirl38 in Largo, Florida

39 months ago

kapusta in Tampa, Florida said: What about the "position": "Insurance Development Path"?
Is that a real job, or is it just something to lure you in so that that can sell you down to a lesser position?

Does anyone in the Lakeland, Florida branch of GEICO, or any branch of GEICO, work in that training experience?

IDP is just a position where you will be trained in the call center for Customer Service first. Then, if you do well enough there for several months, you will be trained to do the call center for Claims... then Sales... call center again. However, the standards for the IDP are higher for promotions, transfers, etc. Rather than 95%, I believe the expectation is 97%. You MAY be hired at a grand or two over what the 19 year old next to you makes, because you have a degree... but not much else. Everything else is pretty much what everyone has brutally commented here.

If you love the call center environment, then maybe you might like it. It can be very humiliating, degrading, frustrating and silly. Maturity level runs right about 10th grade average... but it may be like that in every call center. I really don't have enough experience to say for a fact. Either you love it or you hate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

waynetdog in Tampa, Florida

35 months ago

Angela in Macon, Georgia said: I have been at Geico 2 years now and I am not gonna lie the hiring process was a bit tedious but I made it an dtook the test and I love it . Geico wants you to be on time and be the constant proffesional with great customer service and interaction but in exchange you get great benefits great money parties all the time and always an incentive to selll sell Geico is even paying for me to go and get my masters. The profit sharing checks are nice and you determine your success at Geico not by who you know or who you do but what you do its a great company apply on line and give it a shot iT'S NOT PERFECT BUT ITS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK.

What if I applied for and am interviewing for a sales position, but meant to apply for a service rep position, will they still consider that for me (I'm not a licensed agent at all). Plus you have to wait 5 mos to reapply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Been awhile since this thread posted - 40+ months ago so I'm reflecting a bit -

I would say in hindsight GEICO was good for getting my license and learning the terms and product knowledge but other than that, it is hell on Earth. Think factory work minus the physical labor. Everyone I know who either was fired or otherwise quit has never regretted it. Money is nice - but so is sanity. I do not miss being recorded on every call and having it nitpicked and being monitored for every little statistic.. no thanks.

I am still working in my own office for the same company - going on 6 years and love it. I work in an agency selling P&C and L&H for multiple companies but work under a corporate umbrella so I still get great benefits. I usually make about 40K a year which in Southeastern VA is not bad. I don't have the notion to own my own agency anymore - mainly because people lie too much - 'Oh I told you I wanted full coverage on my 1989 Buick" after it's been totaled. You have to take really good notes and it can be tedious so for now I am happy working for someone else.

But anyway - I lasted so long at GEICO because I was a single Mom and had to pay the bills. But, honestly, I would rather sell myself on the street than ever put on a headset. To this day I don't use one. An adult leash. Being told when you could/couldn't go to the bathroom, or make a phone call. No thanks :)

Good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.