What's the company culture at Genworth Financial?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Genworth Financial?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Genworth Financial?

Reply - Report abuse

JJinLA in Lynchburg, Virginia

63 months ago

Professionalism is a joke at Genworth (in Lynchburg, that is). It seems the more professional or educated one is, the higher the standard they are held to, and the harsher the consequences if mistakes are made, but no additional compensation is given. Grace is extended to those who are 'popular.' It is a company operated the 'cool kids' in high school who are reliving their glory days completely absent minded about the real effects of their poor and ineffective management. If you want to do well here, I suggest you attach you insert your head in the sphincter of your boss so far HR can't tell where you end and he/she begins. That will get your promoted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PSadler in Cave Creek, Arizona

62 months ago

Wow...can you say former disgruntled, low-performing employee? I think I know this person and he was terminated for poor performance.

I have worked at Genworth Financial Trust Co. for 4 years. I found it to be hard-working and challenging in a good way for people who want to learn and grow. Growth in customers and assets has always meant that there was upward mobility. It's the least political place I've ever worked and people get ahead by what they do, not who they know. And they pay well too. My sense is turnover is lower than most similar business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PSadler in Cave Creek, Arizona

62 months ago

anon angel is not being truthful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BR-549 in Richmond, Virginia

62 months ago

As someone who is neither disgruntled nor low-performing, the essence of JJ's comments are true. I have worked there several years and I have witnessed it go from a premier business to a truly unfortunate place to work. GE got rid of these businesses because they became dogs after their management teams ruined them beyond repair. GE thought it could get a better price in an IPO instead of a private sale, hence the public offering. GE didn't want to waste any of its leadership talent and subsequently left Genworth with an SLT who has done nothing but make one bad decision after another. The writing is on the wall. Genworth did not receive TARP funding while several other major insurers did. They just announced a planned sale of a minority portion of the Canadian mortgage insurance operation (one of the few profitable Genworth businesses) to raise capital. This is clearly an act of desperation, similar to when GM sold 49% of GMAC a few years ago. Genworth is not long for this world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.