Genzyme - What a Joke

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 70 of 70)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

pakoda in Toms River, New Jersey

66 months ago

none came so i contacted my hr person who told me they had short listed 2 internal candidates and thanked me for my time and all the usual stuff of keeping my resume in their talent pool for 6 months and so on and so forth ..... so i gave up hope and went about searching for jobs in other places ..... now after a month of this happening in around late September i get a voice message on my phone from the same HR person asking me if i was still interested in the position ... which i naturally was and get all excited again thinking i might have been given a second chance i call her back ... NO REPLY ..... i sent her 3 emails and still NO REPLY ...... so in my frustration i tried calling the HR office again and with luck i get hold of this HR person ..... who some song and dance ... that she was just checking in if i was still available incase the hiring manager would change his/her mind and would want to go for me instead of the internal candidate ..... after this experience i am beggening to ask my self weather its still worth it to even apply to company like this ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nutmeg in Washington DC, District of Columbia

66 months ago

sorry, forgot to add that my comment is a reply to mgross' comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job Shopper in Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

I agree with most of the comments posted here. There is some truth to these statements. I recently had an interview at Genzyme. I was interested in the position and after reading comments on this forum I decided to keep an open mind. During the interview process I clearly discovered that there was a lot of tension, and negative issues regarding current employees in certain groups. The people I interviewed with seemed to be in a bad mood. Easy questions such as Hi, How are you, Tell me more about your job, were too sensitive, easily offensive, and set the tone through out the interview. This was a culture that I would not want to become a part of because there was indications of useless blaming and finger pointing. I'm thankful that I didn't choose to work for this company and I don't regret my decision. I wish I took more consideration from the comments posted on this forum and never wasted my time preparing and interviewing. If you enjoy fighting on a daily basis for your job, enjoy blaming and finger pointing, and like working in a place where tension is thick then this would be the place for you. If you are like me, someone who enjoys professional environments without back stabbing and gossip then I suggest moving on in your job search because as a job shopper I know there are better companies hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

StayAway19 in Ashland, Massachusetts

60 months ago

Job Shopper has it "spot on." I worked at Genzyme, Framingham for over 10 yrs. Cronyism is alive and well. There was so much tension, backstabbing and infighting, it was such a pleasure to go home at the end of the day.

I know all about the HR Department and the recruiters. Genzyme was awarded "Best Place to Work" and the only reason was they had the officer's of the company (vp's) and certain employees fill out the questionaire. So don't fall for that one.

I know the market is tough right now, but I found a great job when I left Genzyme. I am happy and love my job.

Best of luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StayAway19 in Ashland, Massachusetts

60 months ago

pakoda in Toms River, New Jersey said: none came so i contacted my hr person who told me they had short listed 2 internal candidates and thanked me for my time and all the usual stuff of keeping my resume in their talent pool for 6 months and so on and so forth ..... so i gave up hope and went about searching for jobs in other places ..... now after a month of this happening in around late September i get a voice message on my phone from the same HR person asking me if i was still interested in the position ... which i naturally was and get all excited again thinking i might have been given a second chance i call her back ... NO REPLY ..... i sent her 3 emails and still NO REPLY ...... so in my frustration i tried calling the HR office again and with luck i get hold of this HR person ..... who some song and dance ... that she was just checking in if i was still available incase the hiring manager would change his/her mind and would want to go for me instead of the internal candidate ..... after this experience i am beggening to ask my self weather its still worth it to even apply to company like this ???

They will always go with the internal candidate. When summer would come around, we had more relatives working there than employees. Of course they were temp employees, but still didn't give another college intern a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StayAway19 in Framingham, Massachusetts

60 months ago

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas said:

I worked there and believe me, all the negative posts are "spot on>"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

pakoda in Toms River, New Jersey said: none came so i contacted my hr person who told me they had short listed 2 internal candidates and thanked me for my time and all the usual stuff of keeping my resume in their talent pool for 6 months and so on and so forth ..... so i gave up hope and went about searching for jobs in other places ..... now after a month of this happening in around late September i get a voice message on my phone from the same HR person asking me if i was still interested in the position ... which i naturally was and get all excited again thinking i might have been given a second chance i call her back ... NO REPLY ..... i sent her 3 emails and still NO REPLY ...... so in my frustration i tried calling the HR office again and with luck i get hold of this HR person ..... who some song and dance ... that she was just checking in if i was still available incase the hiring manager would change his/her mind and would want to go for me instead of the internal candidate ..... after this experience i am beggening to ask my self weather its still worth it to even apply to company like this ???

She just needed to log that she called a candidate. She had no intention of hiring you.

It was a great place 12 yrs ago and then they pushed the Director of HR out the door. He didn't get along with the Big Man's cronies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas said: Sorry about the misquoting above. I just thought of another possibility.. I took a look at the Genzyme website. These guys are into some heavy genetic and oncology research among other things. They may possibly be just fishing for info about their competitors. Who else would be in a position to give clues about others in the field but applicants who have worked there and are strong candidates? Wouldn't be the first time that happened and the brusque HR person may be the expert at discovering the clues whilst rejecting actual hiring. Perhaps you are all correct?? :)

Now you are "spot on." :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Minor groove in Massachusetts

60 months ago

StayAway19 in Ashland, Massachusetts said: Job Shopper has it "spot on." I worked at Genzyme, Framingham for over 10 yrs. Cronyism is alive and well. There was so much tension, backstabbing and infighting, it was such a pleasure to go home at the end of the day.

I know all about the HR Department and the recruiters. Genzyme was awarded "Best Place to Work" and the only reason was they had the officer's of the company (vp's) and certain employees fill out the questionaire. So don't fall for that one.

I know the market is tough right now, but I found a great job when I left Genzyme. I am happy and love my job.

Best of luck to all.

I've worked at Genzyme 10 years and have been happy there. I admit the interview process seemed like a real grind (in that it was 2 1/2 days). Once in though, it has been worth it - continuous chances for career growth in an exciting field. Good luck in your job hunts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

stalactite in Federal, Argentina

59 months ago

Does anyone have an idea of what the salary is for a Genetic Counselor with Genzyme? (Starting, but also a few years into the job?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Minor groove in Massachusetts

58 months ago

The Globe 100 "Best places to work" questionaire was just emailed to me (as it has in years past). Every colleague I've asked (n = 8) also received the questionaire, and it is commonnly perceived among those I've asked that every Genzyme employee received this questionaire. I think the statement that "certain employees fill out the questionaire" is misleading - all employees have the opportunity to fill the questionaire out, though of course, perhaps only a subset actually do.

Given the positive responses in past surveys and my own perception of our work environment (and no, I am not a VP or a "crony", nor do I work for HR), Genzyme is in general considered an excellent place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Genzyme Coop Student in Boston, Massachusetts

36 months ago

This may be a dead post, but I'm a coop student at Genzyme Framingham and I can say for certain that the interview process was smooth. I got my interview on campus in early november way before other companies even started interviewing for candidates. A week later I received a phone interview and the subsequent week after that I got my site interview in Framingham. They were really interested in what I could offer them and right after my site interview my interviewer/current supervisor asked me if I was getting other offers, I had 5 other interviews lined up and told him that. Basically he told me that I should expect a call from HR shortly. I got the call basically right when I got home from the site interview.

For me Genzyme has definitely lived up to the reputation given as top 100 best places to work for in the U.S. Obviously there are some bad apples in the HR department but I feel that most of it still lies with you and your positive attitude as a interviewee to get the position. I mean I definitely hear a lot of complaining about Genzyme's hiring process from this thread however I feel like everyone still has to remember that having to prove that you are worthy to work for a company still lies on the interviewee not the company. It would make no sense for the company to have to prove themselves to you.

Finally, I don't take online threads to heart because typically only people with bad experiences post. It's a pretty biased system, I just wanted to make my point because I feel like the negative portrayal of Genzyme here is unwarranted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kolin Summers in Boston, Massachusetts

36 months ago

I was a co-op student at genzyme too and I agree the process was smooth as a baby's butt. But everything changed after my co-op. I tried applying for a job and it was hell despite my wonderful co-op experience. My experience especially with an HR rep K.F. In Cambridge was so bad I withdrew my application. I'm sure she's a nice person but too bad she sucks at her job. Won't go into detail here. I'll just say your satisfaction with the recruitment process at genzyme depends on the hr rep you're dealing with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daimondchild1964 in Elizabeth, New Jersey

35 months ago

Genzyme..........................................................................

What can I say about this company...........................Nothing really except that I went to a job fair that the company was hosting (5/25/2011). It really seem like a big joke to me. I should have really taken heed to all the negative comments that were posted on this blog.

I talked to a person in the warehouse area and he didn't even take the time to read my resume. He just put it in his folder and said that someone from HR would be calling me for a second interview(yeah right). I have the experience to work in the warehouse area. I just got the feeling that he was just going through the motions.

Next was the meeting with the packaging supervisor( I have 20 years in this area). He too seem to be giving me the brush off.

All the jobs that were posted on MOnster said that they were full time positions not TEMP JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!! Well the packaging supervisor informed me that these might be temp jobs.

What a waste of my time with these people. I heard that they are looking for a certain look...........or better yet chances are better if you know someone that works there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Genzyme non-quality company in Worcester, Massachusetts

32 months ago

The interview process was absolutely ridiculous...I ended up asking the majority of the interviewing people the questions. Very unprofessional and uneducated. I ended up working here for about a year and could not take having to do most of the work while most of the shift was out on their 2 hour lunch or constant cancer stick breaks. Even the manager is a chain smoker who would always ignore intelligent suggestions of how to improve productivity by using quality tools and formulas. My immediate supervisor was a high school graduate who enjoyed staying in his office playing video games. I was amazed by the amount of people here who could barely read and write English especially in the CIP area. I tried to transfer to a higher position when an opening appeared and was interviewed for the position. Even though I was over qualified and the only person in the quality area (including the associate director) who was certifed by ASQ in quality engineering and quality management - they told me 3 months later that I did not fit into the job description! The salary amount is below average and the work level is like UPS - slave drivers - if you do not like to hang and gossip with the rest of the high-school like groupings. I would suggest to not even apply to this company. The interview process is laughable as well as the first week of just sitting there reading all of the SOP's...in which I found 100's of mistakes in their poorly written SOP's and when I brought them up to the attention of my manager - the guy laughed and claimed it would take too long to submit and "fix" each one! A real ship of fools at Genzyme! If you wish to work at a biotech firm with a feeling of being in high school and managers who turn their heads - at all means...feel free to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hang gurl gurl in Elizabeth, New Jersey

32 months ago

yeah, I know Genzyme is a big joke. I think that whole "open house" that they had must have been some kind of training for the HR deptarment.The open house was in Ridgefield, NJ on 05/25/11. The host of this so called open house was M.C.

I was told that all the openings were for full time placement, and when I went to the interview that I was invited to (after the open house)I was again told that the openings were for temp positions.

So, I waited a couple days and call M.C. the head of HR at Genzyme and asked him if these were temp jobs or full time placement.

He said ""NO, NO, these are full time jobs not temp jobs. What a load of b.s.

The jobs are temp jobs.

Don't belive the hype that Genzyme puts out there. They are still posting that they need help in Ridgefield, NJ, with all the people that showed up at the job fair you are going to tell me that they don"t find one person to fill any of those jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

notsoperfect in New York, New York

19 months ago

Went through the same crap. Went through the whole interview process and when they called with the job offer and salary they were 15K LESS than what we agreed to in the first place. They wasted my time and wouldn't waste my time again with them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Uxbridge, Massachusetts

14 months ago

StayAway19 in Framingham, Massachusetts said: I worked there and believe me, all the negative posts are "spot on>"

I have also heard nothing but negative about Genzyme. I had them as a customer when I was Quality Manager at another company and they are an impossible and negative bunch to deal with. Apply for a job with Genzyme and your resume and basic info is not enough. They make you write a book detailing your entire life. What a waste. Genzyme sucks and I would never ever work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Uxbridge, Massachusetts

14 months ago

Genzyme is by far one of the worst companies in the USA to work for or to be associated with. Try being their supplier! They are impossible to deal with. This is why their quality is sub par. Genzyme fits the profile of the "narcissistic organization". There is such incredible dysfunction and negativity in that place and all because the people at the top are fear and shame based narcissists. Fear based organizations react to problems by throwing more useless paperwork at their processes...like Genzyme does. Now when I interview for Quality Manager positions, I always screen and ask if the company is supplying Genzyme and if they are I will not work for any suppliers of this horrible dysfunctional company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

William G in Lexington, Massachusetts

13 months ago

I can't wait to leave. After I give my notice (hopefully next week), I will be a little more explicit. Until then...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.