Golden Living Centers Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Moderated by: Cheryl Miller
Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Golden Living Centers?

What do you like best about working at Golden Living Centers? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Monique in Greenwood, Mississippi

83 months ago

Comment deleted by cherylmiller

dan meyers in Idaville, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

looking elsewhere in Little Rock, Arkansas

82 months ago

prospectiveadmin in Greenfield, Indiana

82 months ago

keep looking in Roslindale, Massachusetts

82 months ago

JL in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

babenna in Minneapolis, Minnesota

80 months ago

80 months ago

80 months ago

toomanyrobbies in Worklikeadog

78 months ago

toomanyrobbies in Worklikeadog

78 months ago

exgoldenlivingED in Saint Louis, Missouri

72 months ago

toomanyrobbies in Worklikeadog said: Dan - where's your proof, please? Can't find the information on line

I think this company is owned by Drumm Investment Corp out of CA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Good Dog in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

Ken from Minnesota in Minnesota

71 months ago

Good Dog - Thanks for the compliment - I think. I am not in marketing, just a worker-bee who had good English teachers and is a big believer in spell-checker. My entire statement was addressed to one of the earlier blogs from Dan who stated Golden Living was owned by a company in India. You would hope that when people blog they would check the facts. It goes without saying that when a company owns over 300 nursing homes, some are providing better care than others, some have the advantage of being a nicer or newer building than others and some have better managers than others. And I can tell you from first hand experience that working with the elderly, many of them experiencing dementia or Alzheimer’s can be extremely challenging. I guess that is why I get my back up a little bit because when I started, I was so surprised by the passion the employees have who care for them, whether it is for Golden Living, Extendicare, ManorCare or any other nursing home. Over the years, nursing homes and their employees have gotten a bad rap because the small numbers of failures end up front page news. From my experiences with Golden Living and Good Sam’s, I think they deserve a little credit sometimes, and that includes the volunteers, employees, managers and owners. The only issue I take with your blog is that they “turn it on” for the inspections. These are thorough, stressful, no-notice inspections and no nursing home can turn it on or off. You are what you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Watertown, Minnesota

69 months ago

I presently work for a Golden Living Center, I look forward to going to work in the morning. If asked, our upper management will push beds down the hall way to make sure a new patient comming in has the appropriate bed he or she needs, they do anything you ask them to do (its called team work). We do have sick time, we do have vacation time. And as far as I know, if someone needs time off, they get it. If your not happy maybe your in the wrong field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jameson Scott

69 months ago

Kathy-
I am glad to see your golden living center has team work, however often some don't. It is a shame that we work in centers that do not have team work and team work from management, consultants and director of operations. It is this pratice that makes centers not happy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NHA-in-Mo in Cape Girardeau, Missouri

69 months ago

I always enjoy reading everyones commments. I guess what it all boils down to is it depends on what facility you work in. and it goes to show you there are some good and some bad facilities. just my two cents worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hiro in Napa, California

67 months ago

Jane Doe in Janesville, Wisconsin

64 months ago

I had a very negative experience when I applied for a job as a cna at the watertown, wi golden living center. Long story, but they kept me waiting and waiting to tinkle in the bottle, even though I explained that I had another "appointment" to go to. I simply wanted to call my next appointment and say I would be a little late. They explained that there was no cellular reception in the basement area where I was, and then knowing that I had someplace else to be, or at least a call to make, the person who was to administer the test just kept talking and talking to a coworker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ldynpnk kipp in Indianapolis, Indiana

64 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Golden Living Centers?

What do you like best about working at Golden Living Centers? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

You know any job is what you make it.I've worked for Golden living for 8yrs.I don't like everything they do as a company but.....I feel I'm there to make my res comfortable and happy as can be for there circumstances,I'm sure they arn't so happy about the results of there life.Stop whining go get another job with other problems.Please don't stay and make our residents suffer. My mother included!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Golden Living Centers?

I know nurses are paid by yrs of exp. I know they give raises yearly.We get gift cards.We all work together and are family oriented.Our supervisors are people like us.This is the longest place I have worked in my 23 years of nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

DRAGONFLY59 in Lancaster, Kentucky

64 months ago

63 months ago

DRAGONFLY59 in Lancaster, Kentucky said: I ALSO WORK FOR GLC AND THEY DO TREAT THEIR EMPLOYEES HORRIBLE, I GOT HURT ON THE JOB AND NOW THEY ARE MAKING ME WORK ANOTHER SHIFT THAN WHAT I WAS HIRED FOR, I HAVE EVEN BEEN TOLD THAT THEY COULD POSSIBLE LET ME GO. THEN TODAY I FIND OUT THAT THEY LIED ABOUT VACATION TIME WHEN I WAS HIRED WE WERE TOLD THAT NURSES GET 1 WEEK VACATION AFTER 6 MONTHS ON THE JOB I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR 7 MONTHS AND I GO TO ASK FOR SOME VACATION HRS TO USE AND THEY TELL ME I ONLY HAVE 7 HOURS .SO WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT ALL THAT?
I'm really sorry for your disappointment with GLC but...Did you call corp office ?? I guess in different states they are ran different.I really can't answer for your KY facility. My facility is fair and easy to work with.They also try real hard to keep us happy.Happy employees mean happy residents !!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Oz in South Dakota

63 months ago

stacie in Mildred, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

alabama1 in Smyrna, Georgia

60 months ago

alabama1 in Smyrna, Georgia

60 months ago

alabama1 in Smyrna, Georgia said:

Man please!

I was a Regional Sales Manager, you almost wrote this email word for word with what is on all of the collateral that is out there for GLC. Everyones experience is different and everyone has there own unique story, so dont sit on your computer and paint this wonderful picture.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RSS feed in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

The Stroudburg facility the HR person calls you for an interveiw. You travel the 15 miles in the snow. She is not there. Never called. Each time you call her she never returns your call. I am glad I do not presue a nurse job there. If they can't shou you the respect to call and cancel an interveiw, what would they be like to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eugenios in Spokane, Washington

56 months ago

Dorothy in Oz in South Dakota said: Oh some of you are just way too funny! Yes, GLC does want a lot from their employees. But, not anymore than any other employer. Have any of you doing the complaining worked anywhere else? The grass is truly not greener across the street. In today's economy be glad that someone wants to give you a paycheck.

Yes, happy employees does mean happy residents. And anyone who works in healthcare knows that your heart is typically bigger than your paycheck. So, stop your whining, get off your smoke break and get back to work... or move on. Attitude is everything and you must do your part at your facility to improve things. I challenge those of you GLC employees reading this blog to make eye contact and smile at everyone you pass in the hallways. And really mean that smile from your heart. Pay it forward.

First, even though this is old news, I want to thank Ken from Minnesota, Kathy in Watertown, and Dorothy in Oz. That is for your positive, upbeat outlook on life. No matter where you are or where you go, I know from 40+ years in leadership and business and even healthcare that you 3 will be successful. I would be proud to have you looking after my mother. A few others, maybe. The latter (negative) group, Wal-Mart is looking good (and I don't mean to insult Wal-Mart). My 82-year-old mother is a resident at the GLC in Springfield, Tennessee. Unfortunately, I live and work 1,500 miles away, but that was the closest, nicest (relatively speaking) nursing home near her home. Do we have issues with GLC from time to time? Of course we do. Is the company making money hand over fist, and due to a variety of reasons (lower pay)? Yes. However, that is the best we (Medicare/Tenncare) could do, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, we cannot provide the care she needs in her condition (physical and mental), even though I work in a large healthcare system in the Pacific Northwest. And yes, we require work for pay, here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Heil in Grove City, Ohio

55 months ago

Indigo Flyer in Martinsburg, West Virginia

27 months ago

Yes, individual GLC facilities vary by location, but corporate really only pays lip service to wanting to provide a supportive, fulfilling place to work. They conduct yearly employee satisfaction surveys, but from what I can tell, don't follow up on them. Sick pay is useless: they don't pay until you're sick for the 3rd consecutive scheduled shift. Staffing, at least in the four facilities I've visited, included the one where I work in Berryville, VA, is ridiculously insufficient, creating higher-than-normal burnout and turnover. My facility has very low admission criteria, meaning that we take all sorts of patients without thoroughly evaluating whether or not we can meet their expectations of care, particularly with patients who need CONSTANT behavioral monitoring and basically, need a personal nurse. They are not at all accommodating to employees who need accommodations for medical reasons. If you hurt yourself outside of work or even at work but cannot pinpoint when and where (i.e.: a pulled back muscle) they do not allow modified duty. Corporate does nothing to protect employees who document legitimate call-offs with doctors notes. Consequently, there is much infection spread because employees are expected to work when they are sick. WORST of all is that GLC receives EXCELLENT ratings more often than they should because corporate sends their own surveyors to prep facilities for state inspections BUT they announce their visits within plenty of time for facilities to temporarily bulk up their staffing and tighten the reigns to put on a good show. If surveyors showed up unannounced, at least at our facility, they'd see an entirely different picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

jhahn98@gmail.com in Summerfield, Kansas

27 months ago

Hi guys, just a check

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Summerfield, Kansas

27 months ago

just another check

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fresno, California

11 months ago

I see a lot of negative talk about GLC, but mainly back east. Can anyone speak to the west campuses, or even directly about Fresno. Ca? I want to make a solid decision on applying based on the actual facilities here in Fresno, Ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.