What's the company culture at Goodwill Industries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Goodwill Industries?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Goodwill Industries?

Reply - Report abuse

Al in Bonney Lake, Washington

50 months ago

They practice oppressive, negative, heavy-handed management philosophy. The training is almost non-existent, and they rely heavily on free (or almost free) labor paid by the state. It's quite a racket; get the state to pay for 50% of your labor force (or more), tell the community what a great company you are because you provide jobs to people down on their luck, and rack in millions of dollars for the upper management by selling things people donate in good faith.

Well, let me tell you a thing or two; the ends never justify the means. I've heard reports that Bernie Madoff donated to charities and did "good things" with the money he stole. Did that that make Berbie Madoff a "good" person? Heck no! And the Tacoma Goodwill is NOT good simply because they do some "good things". I'm not suggesting that there aren't nice people who work the GW. But structurally, from the top down, my first hand observation is that Tacoma Goodwill is ROTTEN to the core!

THEY ARE NOT A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR, in my opinion!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Wendell, North Carolina

42 months ago

Host said: Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Goodwill Industries?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

As someone I worked with there once said, "It is like a concentration camp, without the incinerator." I fully agreed with her and still do. I have a case pending with them. Another former co-worker often complained how they bully her but she can not afford to lose her job so she has to just keep her mouth shut and take their abuse. They fired me for a job related injury (case that is pending). From what I have been reading I am not alone in my observations. And this seems to be going on in all GW's everywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Wendell, North Carolina

42 months ago

Al in Bonney Lake, Washington said: They practice oppressive, negative, heavy-handed management philosophy. The training is almost non-existent, and they rely heavily on free (or almost free) labor paid by the state. It's quite a racket; get the state to pay for 50% of your labor force (or more), tell the community what a great company you are because you provide jobs to people down on their luck, and rack in millions of dollars for the upper management by selling things people donate in good faith.

Well, let me tell you a thing or two; the ends never justify the means. I've heard reports that Bernie Madoff donated to charities and did "good things" with the money he stole. Did that that make Berbie Madoff a "good" person? Heck no! And the Tacoma Goodwill is NOT good simply because they do some "good things". I'm not suggesting that there aren't nice people who work the GW. But structurally, from the top down, my first hand observation is that Tacoma Goodwill is ROTTEN to the core!

THEY ARE NOT A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR, in my opinion!

AGREED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Al Bert 4 in Seattle, Washington

38 months ago

I can testify; they treat their employees very poorly. Some how it has gotten into management's head that since GW is a non-profit they don't need to practice good business policy. They are backward-thinking and thugish in 'ruling' those who make them money. STAY AWAY from working for Goodwill. STAY WAY from giving to Goodwill.

HEY GOODWILL, why do you think you can treat people with such indifference and think you can get a way with it?

GOODWILL HIDES behind a mask of "good". I'm not suggesting they don't 'help' some people BUT I seen TONS of people (employees) they hurt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris - Brampton in Rouge Valley, Ontario

29 months ago

Host said: Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Goodwill Industries?

Typical day in life at GW:
ABUSE (verbal, mental, emotional, psychological),
LIES by management, execs, fellow employees sucking up to management,
UNSAFE WORK CONDITIONS (moulds, mice, rats, lack of proper ventilation, dirt, health hazards, no proper heating in the backroom, etc.),
LACK OF PROTECTION BY THE UNIONS,
DECEITFUL HUMAN RESOURCES (especially the upper level - LIARS totally in the service of execs and protecting their own interests ONLY),
CONTEMPT for the employees - this is a daily fare expressed in every possible way,
HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT,
FEAR as a management method
and much more in the same vein.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Chris - Brampton in Rouge Valley, Ontario said: Typical day in life at GW:
ABUSE (verbal, mental, emotional, psychological),
LIES by management, execs, fellow employees sucking up to management,
UNSAFE WORK CONDITIONS (moulds, mice, rats, lack of proper ventilation, dirt, health hazards, no proper heating in the backroom, etc.),
LACK OF PROTECTION BY THE UNIONS,
DECEITFUL HUMAN RESOURCES (especially the upper level - LIARS totally in the service of execs and protecting their own interests ONLY),
CONTEMPT for the employees - this is a daily fare expressed in every possible way,
HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT,
FEAR as a management method
and much more in the same vein.

Hi Chris Brampton, great reply! Feel free to join this Facebook group GREEDWILL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris - Brampton in Rouge Valley, Ontario

29 months ago

Al Bert 4 in Seattle, Washington said: Hi Chris Brampton, great reply! Feel free to join this Facebook group GREEDWILL.

Thank you for speaking up against this slave camp based on greed and lies.
I noticed than one of my comments was removed from this forum. GREEDWILL must be on their toes, but the power of the Internet is unstoppable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Chris - Brampton in Rouge Valley, Ontario said: Thank you for speaking up against this slave camp based on greed and lies.
I noticed than one of my comments was removed from this forum. GREEDWILL must be on their toes, but the power of the Internet is unstoppable.

Thanks for keeping at it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ralph Beebe in Beaverton, Oregon

1 month ago

Al Bert 4 in Seattle, Washington said: Thanks for keeping at it!

I for one can tell you With Experience. never ever work for such a greedy company like goodwill.they tell you so many LIES. By far the worst company to work for. I truly wished our Goverment would step in and TAX the hell out of these People, NON PROFIT MY ASS
opening up all these new goodwill stores all over the state of Oregon & Washington. the Gov. should at Least TAX them Big time for all the Property they are buying to put these new stores they are putting them on. with the Peoples Donations to build these Places.I would not Recomend any one to work or Donate to these Crooks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ralph Beebe in Beaverton, Oregon

1 month ago

I'd much Rather Donate to the Salvation Army. at Least they help our Community, Salvation army has been around a lot longer than the Crooks at Goodwill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.