Google Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Google?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

chris in Austin, Texas

93 months ago

Learn computer science, programming, and math before you interview at google.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (128) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy

93 months ago

Chris, this is tongue-in-cheek. Tell us something more, what happened during the interview, why you're poking fun, etc. (I already know CS, some programming, and mathematics!) Thanks, Nancy, San Francisco Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

T. in San Mateo, California

92 months ago

Make sure you know your data structures and algorithms backwards and forwards. You must know the big-O notation and the complexity of sorting and searching algorithms. You should be able to answer questions such as "what sort algorithm has the best worst-case runtime and what is its order of complexity". Hint: it ain't quicksort. You should also know the concept of divide-and-conquer and how to apply it to problems.

For Java development, you'll need to know the innards of the VM, garbage collection, etc., along with multi-threading concepts (deadlock, starvation, ThreadLocal, wait/notify, etc.), and servlets.

Don't worry about knowing object-oriented design, design patterns, Ant/Maven, or any of that stuff: most of Google doesn't really care about that stuff and I seem to be the only one who asks those types of questions in interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (162) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Ariel in Huntington Woods, Michigan

92 months ago

What sorts of topics are important to be well-versed in for interviews for lower-level positions such as "Book Search Operations Technician?" The position looks like a low-level tech support job, doing support functions that most Google employees could do for themselves if they only had time to... so I imagine hardcore programming ability isn't really applicable. Any hints?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in San Mateo, California

92 months ago

What about for non-technical positions, like marketing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

92 months ago

Ariel said: What sorts of topics are important to be well-versed in
for interviews for lower-level positions such as "Book Search Operations
Technician?" The position looks like a low-level tech support job, doing
support functions that most Google employees could do for themselves if they
only had time to... so I imagine hardcore programming ability isn't really
applicable. Any hints?
Ariel (and Susan too): I would agree with your assumption. Remember the company's solid base is high tech, so you should know something about it, however elementary. My added suggestion is that you study their marketing strategy and know both their consumer and advertising products well. Also consider the company values and how those affect you and others in that field. Nancy, Walnut Creek

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

91 months ago

Linus said: Adding to my previous post, I found some description about the job profile at the following links:

(In Dublin, Ireland)

www.google.ie/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=34868

(In Mountain View, CA)

www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=25613

However, I was looking forward to know what to expect in the written test and the interview.

Thanks again.

Linus, have you tried the direct method of phoning the nearest Google office (sales or otherwise) and asking them how to go about getting a briefing for your people? It could be a place to start. Nancy, San Francisco Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

91 months ago

Linus said: Thanks for the reply Nancy.
I had the same thought when
I was informed about the vacancy. However, in India, Google has offices in
Hyderabad, Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi. The ones at Mumbai and Delhi are
concentrating on Accounts and Finance while the ones at Hyderabad and Bangalore
are development centres. I tried calling Bangalore and Hyderabad. Unfortunately
the people with whom I spoke informed that they had no knowledge about this
area/field. I'll be trying again on Monday. Today being a Saturday it might
be that there wouldn't be someone from whom I could get a clear answer. Do
you have any other suggestions that I could try?

Hi Linus. I've been thinking about your issue. I have a couple of suggestions. When you speak to a Google employee, be sure to highlight the fact that the job is ultimately to mentor, so you would like to be as prepared as possible in order to continue your practice at your mentoring skills. I think that that is only fair. Perhaps you'll be offered a consolation and can begin with that. My other suggestion is this: Find what department the position is posted under if you don't know already. Call your closest Google. Ask for the department's number at corporate in Mountain View, CA. Also ask for that department's number (or e-mail, of course) at EU headquarters in Dublin, Ireland. If you get contact information, follow through. One more suggestion that is iffy: Get onto the website and use the company's info e-mail to ask your question. The info e-mail address is posted in plain site. I believe you just click ''About Google'' and it's listed under their corporate contact info (address, phone, fax). I'll continue to think about it. Good luck! Nancy, Walnut Creek (SF Bay Area)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

91 months ago

Linus said: Thanks for the reply Nancy.
I had the same thought when
I was informed about the vacancy. However, in India, Google has offices in
Hyderabad, Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi. The ones at Mumbai and Delhi are
concentrating on Accounts and Finance while the ones at Hyderabad and Bangalore
are development centres. I tried calling Bangalore and Hyderabad. Unfortunately
the people with whom I spoke informed that they had no knowledge about this
area/field. I'll be trying again on Monday. Today being a Saturday it might
be that there wouldn't be someone from whom I could get a clear answer. Do
you have any other suggestions that I could try?
Hi Linus. I've been thinking about you! I e-mailed a guy who was on contract with Google several years ago. He was in support. This is just some extra info for you. He said:

Yes, I took a series of tests and went through three interviews. They gave me two tests to work on at home that were comprised of mathematical questions to situationals. There was also one more onsite test after the last interview. The selection process is pretty rigorous, and the questions asked in both the interviews and written tests were very creative. The questions on the written tests are geared towards the position you are interviewing for.

The stories you hear about everything at Google are true. Yes, it is an exciting place to work and the people that work there are the best and the brightest. My team consisted of mostly grads from Stanford, so that tells you something about the level of talent that they pursue.

Linus, I hope that this info adds something to your goals! Let me know what happens. Nancy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linus in Ashburn, Virginia

91 months ago

Hi Nancy,

Sorry for not keeping you updated. This is what happened the week before last when I tried calling Google. Please do not take it to be a complaint. It's just that I was not able to get to the right people I guess.

After your last reply, suggesting to contact Google, I tried calling the Delhi and Bombay offices. I was asked to contact the Bangalore office. I expected that because I never saw any tech. openings in the Delhi and Bombay offices. I then contacted the Bangalore office. People at Bangalore advised me to contact the Hyderabad office and that I did. People at Hyderabad immediately transferred me to the HR team. I informed them on your suggestion that I was practicing my mentoring skills. They said that they wouldn't be able to give me details relating to the nature of questions that would be asked. However, they asked me to have the resume/s sent to them via email.

I was contacting one office a day. By the time I contacted all the offices in India, the vacancy was posted in the Newspaper ("The Hindu - Opportunities"). From the description there were looking for people who were having expertise in Windows, Linux and MAC OS, LDAP, Active Directory, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, VPN, email technologies, in deploying and supporting cell phones, Avaya phone systems, video conferencing, enterprise-wide Blackberry phones and various wireless devices. They also added the line that experience in some or most of the above would be preferable.

Now I know that I'm good in OS related troubleshooting in windows and Linux environments. I know the basics of networking and Directory services. I know nothing about troubleshooting cellphones or phone systems. So, I started wondering if I could still apply with the current skill-sets that I have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

91 months ago

Linus said: Nancy, thank you very much for your interest in this regards.
Your suggestions at least takes me in the right direction. I'm not sure whether
it would be best for me to apply right now or give it some time, prepare
myself in the networking better and then apply.
One thing I could say is,
all the people with whom I spoke at Google were very friendly and nice.
To
Nerd (in Hyderabad):
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had tried calling
the Hyderabad office. As mentioned earlier, I guess I was not able to speak
with the right people even though I specifically asked for the HR team. So,
I wasn't able to get any info. relating to my issue.
Absolutely APPLY NOW! Applicants who get in with the first wave are the most likely to succeed. It's a statistical reality. Do it NOW, Linus. Then immediatly research mobiles/networking and plan out your next few weeks of getting up to speed on it. Be quick and bright! Ride like the wind, Linus! Go get your job! Nancy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shaw in Holt, Michigan

90 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Google?
Any advice on striking the right note?

There are many resources on the net, look at them. I run across www.technical-interview.com which may be helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

john doe in San Diego, California

90 months ago

--------------------------------------------------
I applied for a job at google and i was able to receive a phone call from them within a day.I am not sure if it is because i live in the west coast. Your resume should have all the key-words for the job requisition for starters.
---------------------------------------------------

i did have my first round of google phone interview(test engg position)..it was okay..they ask you hard-core computer science questions..one of the questions i had was based on theory of computation/finite automaton.

i know the really tough questions are going to be in algorithms...bottom line...you should know algorithms from back to front, down to up--basically 360 degrees knowledge..So that is only the basic..

if you dont know algorithms--you can forget about getting into google...i will be reading it up..its been a while..

And the questions they ask--you will not find them in text books or anywhere..:)..

i am going to have my second round of phone interview soon..
good luck for the rest of you folks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

90 months ago

john doe said: --------------------------------------------------

I applied for a job at google and i was able to receive a phone call from
them within a day.I am not sure if it is because i live in the west coast.
Your resume should have all the key-words for the job requisition for starters.

---------------------------------------------------
i did have my first
round of google phone interview(test engg position)..it was okay..they ask
you hard-core computer science questions..one of the questions i had was
based on theory of computation/finite automaton.
i know the really tough
questions are going to be in algorithms...bottom line...you should know algorithms
from back to front, down to up--basically 360 degrees knowledge..So that
is only the basic..
if you dont know algorithms--you can forget about getting
into google...i will be reading it up..its been a while..
And the questions
they ask--you will not find them in text books or anywhere..:)..
i am going
to have my second round of phone interview soon..
good luck for the rest
of you folks...

Splendid! Knock 'em dead. (John Doe, eh?) Nancy, Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

userInd

90 months ago

I could not find out the contact numbers for their Bangalore office. can anybody help me out.

Nerd said:
Try calling up Hyderabad office (number should be on the address page in about us page) try reaching the HR team. You can apply online by clicking on add to job cart link. All the best.
Here is the link to the India positions
www.google.co.in/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=37266&query=IT&topic=&type=IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A M in San Diego, California

90 months ago

Jason,
WOW, and over the telephone! This is the first for me.
I believe the whole point of the resume/reference is to make a educated guess as to how good are you in your creativity/ambitions/motivations/academic etc., skillset.
During my earlier years my response to such questions were that judge me for what I have accomplished and I left at that.
So far I have done quite well. This happens when the company gets too big too quickly and they become ROBOSOFT (Remember MICROSFT) .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EAsRock in San Jose, California

90 months ago

Hey there everyone,

Does anyone know who they use for contracting Exec Admin temps?

thanks..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

90 months ago

EAsRock: Well, I believe that if you navigate to their jobs page and key in ''temporary'' under By Searching U.S. Openings, you'll be taken to a page of Workforce Logic and Nelson Jobs, that are temp agencies posting many positions for Google. Nancy, Walnut Creek, CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NYCgal23 in Astoria, New York

90 months ago

Has anyone out there taken the "logic/writing" test for an administrative position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ajlogo in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Love Google - Hate their Recruiting process

In my case, it took a month. A long month of pre-screening, screening and screening and then re-pre-screening! You should know that the opportunity your looking for may/will not be discussed. It doesn't matter about your interests- until you get past getting screened. Be ready for a less than professional encounter.

For my second screening they changed my contact four times. This person was training someone; so we were on speakerphone with air-hockey being played in the background. I had web material that I really wanted previewed by the 'screener' before the meeting and this was agreed to. He didn't look at it. Needless to say I got very frustrated, and they have no interest in hearing that. At the end of their questions he said "We're running late, I need to go, do you have any questions?"

So when another group express interest in me I was really wanting 'talk' with someone. So I called and left messages, once a day. They didn't callback, no professional courtesy of a reply. Just a gfy email.

Google recruitment should be more professional, and treat candidates as good as shareholders or customers.

Here are ten things you can brush up on that *might* help
1. Sort Algorithms
2. The big O (efficiency)
3. When in doubt use hash tables
4. A queue (FILO) and a stack (FIFO) can be made from each other.
5. Refactoring
6. Strategy Pattern
7. Strong and weak references
8. Lazy loading
9. Collections
10. Boiler plate code

Let me repeat
Love Google - Hate their Recruiting process

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

No, thanks! in Hayward, California

89 months ago

Ajlogo said: Google recruitment should be more professional, and treat candidates as good as shareholders or customers.

According to a business magazine this week, Google and its employees exude an air of arrogance. Even some of Google's advertising customers complain that the company sometimes appears cavalier about their concerns when it comes to the issue of click fraud. Some advertisers/customers believe Google ignored their claims.
The company's growing power, influence and the perceived attitude problems have hurt Google. They have lost many talented, qualified people who don't want to consider this company as a future employer anymore.

No, thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Juan Valdez in Bethesda, Maryland

88 months ago

questions? you will get the same question from multiple people. it is "how do you get along with people you don't like" / you have to work with someone you don't like how do you resolve this? FOUR people asked me that same question. every time i told them something different. if was funny. low pay, long hours, and the boom is over! you will be the latecomers and all the rich people there will laugh at you in your hyundai as they fly by in the bmw's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BeenThereDoneThat in York, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Ajlogo in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania said: For my second screening they changed my contact four times. This person was training someone; so we were on speakerphone with air-hockey being played in the background.

Be flexible. They're trying to determine if you fit in to their workplace culture or not.

[QUOTE]
I had web material that I really wanted previewed by the 'screener' before the meeting and this was agreed to. He didn't look at it.
You should be ready to describe your abilities and experiences, don't rely on online samples.

[QUOTE]Needless to say I got very frustrated, and they have no interest in hearing that.Frustration by a prospective employee in an interview is a huge turn-off. I can't blame them for not wanting to hear your frustration. Just another sign you don't fit into their workplace culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ajlogo

88 months ago

I was frustrated *at the end of a long month*. If Google wants cold hearts they'll get them.

I want to alert candidates it is common that they may go from exhilarated to more than disappointed, it's a rational reaction, and Google doesn't care.

Let me repeat as the person from York had another agenda, Google's recruiting isn't professional, by design, and candidates should lower their expectations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

EAsRock in San Jose, California

88 months ago

i live in san jose and know several people that work between google, yahoo and ebay. and majority rules that google is the worst place to work. they over work you and if you're over the age of 30 and doing something 'other' than mgmt you get no respect. oh and did i mention they underpay you for what they expect. that's why they prefer straight out of school, while still green. avoids the 'hard balling' for salary...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in San Diego, California

87 months ago

I applied for a software engineer position, got an phone interview. The guy asked algorithm, data structure typed questions. I answered most of it correctly. Some of them were not very specific. So please ask as many questions as possible to understand the question. I got the on-site. I answered all the algorithm, data structure, math type questions correctly. I wrote C-style code [correct code]. That did not go very well. Because a good C code may look like a poor (in style) C++ code. Please dont put anything on your resume if you dont have recent experience, in my case I forgot an scripting language that I worked 5/6 years back.

They called all my referees and it took them a very long time [6 wks?] to decide that they did not have a match for my skills. Please get enough sleep. Most of the questions will be water down version of grad school algorithm class.

Even with all these I am so much impressed by the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PeterA in Redwood City, California

87 months ago

Do yourself a favor and look for a job elsewhere. There's more exciting opportunities around than going to work for Google, Yahoo, Oracle, Microsoft, or anyone of that size.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Google Insider in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

87 months ago

For AdWords positions, Google will send you an online worksheet to complete in 1 hour after one has passed their initial phone interview. It has you list reasons why pornography is ok to advertise and why tobacco products are not advertised by Google just in case you are asked by a Tobacco distributor to advertise for them (completely subjective). They will have you look at a list of email subject headings and ask you to identify which are important and which order you should respond to the important ones and the reasons why. They will also ask if you are ok handling pornography and its advertising. Their online worksheet test has both grammar and logic problems. The grammar problems can be easily bypassed by typing or pasting the questions in word to find the grammatical errors. They are highly secretive and I believe they interview engineers and other techies to simply get cheap R&D without any real intentions of hiring. BEWARE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Zanadus, Australia in Chullora, Australia

87 months ago

Is the Adwords sales executives role a face to face selling or telesales role? Anyone know what the salaries are like for adword sales executives thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amar in Jersey City, New Jersey

86 months ago

Hi I have one Question, did Google had any criteia(people should from IISc,iit,nit..etc) to call people for interview, other than knowledge in subject

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Tatar in San Jose, California

86 months ago

When the first question to a staffing professional with 25 years of experience and most recent position a Director was "What was your GPA in school" I passed on this place. They obviously have no clue how to recruit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ajlogo in Herndon, Virginia

86 months ago

Bob,
Others will say it's your attitude. It's not your attitude. It's there recruiting. Google needs to realize the cost of their recruiting.

Cheers,
Ajlogo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in South Hadley, Massachusetts

86 months ago

You all are making me nervous now! My friend has gone through two interviews with Google and they are now sending him to one of their offices to have in-person interviews, as well as conference calls with their offices in London and New York. I hope that this experience will be worthwhile and not built up just to let my friend down. I've also only heard but great things about Google; are they actually rather low paying?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lim in Brisbane, Australia

86 months ago

I don't think google are low paying. But if money's your prime motivator then you shouldn't be joining google in the first place, I'm sure there are other companies that pay more if not similar. There are lots of people who have gone through more than 10 interviews only to be rejected. It's a tough process. I've got rejected twice but I'm still trying for other positions, so it's good never to give up because you never know you could be a fit in a different position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sam in New Brunswick, New Jersey

85 months ago

Try fixing your network in pakistan.

Did anybody received a telephonic interview call for the position of Network Engineer, Google.com - EU Headquarters role Dublin Ireland.
I will highly appreciate if one can explain me little what type of interview questions can I expect from recruiting coordinator for this position in Phone screening and technical test process.
FYI, I am working in one of the ISP of Pakistan as Network Engineer - NOC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Ricco in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Sarfaraz in Karachi, Pakistan said: Dear All,

Did anybody received a telephonic interview call for the position of Network Engineer, Google.com - EU Headquarters role Dublin Ireland.
I will highly appreciate if one can explain me little what type of interview questions can I expect from recruiting coordinator for this position in Phone screening and technical test process.
FYI, I am working in one of the ISP of Pakistan as Network Engineer - NOC.

Hi
I made it up to the 2nd phone interview for a simular position (Network deployment eng) in the states (Tx, DC area). 1st phone interview consisted of weed-out questions ( what/How is a subnet, number of bytes, How many T1's in OC-48 rings, what kind of shell do u prefer..etc).

After the no brainers, he setup up a 2nd phone interview with a technical guy in charge of the position. Well, this guy knew his stuff, he started grilling me on my skills that i had on my resume such as OC rings configurations, DWDM deployment, Regenerator (ERbium-Dope). He asked about all aspect of optical network deployment. Some AC/DC power stuff that i only remembered from my undergrad classes like why would u use a rectifier in an X-change Office instead of at the power plant. What kinda tools u use to test optical equipments. The interview lasted about 1 hr and i think i did ok.

I have 4 years of Sonet equip support and deployment and currently working in a place that is full politics and trying to move on. He told me at the end that he will refer the result of the interview to HR and they will make a decision to go forward or not. After 5 days, i didn't get any response so i emailed the 1st interviewer and he kindly sent me an email that i was not a good fit. No problem, i keep my head high and it was sure a great experience interviewing at Google. I will propably try in couples of months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rajeev in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

I had an phone interview with shafali Jain.
She sent a doc file with some question in it and after that I had this phone interview. It was like 10 months back and I am still waiting for a response. I emailed her many times but never heard back from him.

she suks..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

laks in Kansas City, Missouri

84 months ago

Hi. I have finished my first round of interview with google for Software Engineer in Test position. If this forum is still active, then can any one say me what kind of questions or areas could I expect for this position in Software Engineer for Test for a second round of interview which is a tech interview.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Bellevue, Washington

84 months ago

I am being scheduled for a second phone interview, which will be the technical interview for the IT Field Tech Position in Washington. Can anyone give me any suggestions or know what type of questions I may get asked?

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pris in Indiana

84 months ago

laks in Kansas City, Missouri said: Hi. I have finished my first round of interview with google for Software Engineer in Test position. If this forum is still active, then can any one say me what kind of questions or areas could I expect for this position in Software Engineer for Test for a second round of interview which is a tech interview.

Thanks.

Hi there...I have a 1st round non-technical phone interview scheduled next week...can u plz give me an idea as to how it was???? And wat to expect from there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Meder Jailoobaev in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

83 months ago

I applied to a position of a Database Engineer of Google in Dublin Ireland EU Headquarters. I had a 30 minutes interview. The questions were open type, i.e. the answer for them were not correct or not correct type. I think I did OK. After 2 days they told me to get prepaired for the second round.

But, second round didn't happen - they didn't call me. When I wrote them explaining the situation, they said they rescheduled the interview to another day. That day I again didn't get the call. And again they found a reason telling that they couldn't get through saying that there must be a mobile provider problem. This is nonsense. If someone wouldn't get through to my mobile phone, I would get a message saying that such number tried to call me and didn't get through.

Is this some kind of mocking! Why they just can't tell that I didn't pass the interview directly?

Anyway, I wouldn't like to work with such people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim G in Singapore, Singapore

82 months ago

Hi there

I'm considering applying for the AdWords Account Associate position for Google, Singapore. I actually saw this position posted a while back (possible >2mth) as a friend (not a Googler) had recommended me to apply. Things at my current job were in overdrive at the time so I didn't apply. I'm pleased they're still hiring, but then I'm also wondering why it's still available. Though I suppose there's no harm to still apply eh?

& I know the Google website claims a "diverse working environment" with people from different backgrounds. But how open are they really to an applicant coming from a non-IT/Internet related background for the AdWords position? I have customer service/account servicing experience, coming from the hospitality industry (currently doing catering sales; no advertising sales experience) & I'm very tech savvy/proficient though admittedly AdWords is one of the lesser used Google application for me.

Sorry for the wordiness. I suppose I just want to test the water & know my chances...TIA! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sshelly in Arlington, Texas

82 months ago

Do the Google people ask for the projects that one has put in the resume?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sshelly in Arlington, Texas

82 months ago

Hey can you tell me what kind of the questions they ask? I got a call from Google to work in a networking platform team. They dint mention about any job requirements.

Also can you let me know if they ask anything from the projects that one put in the resume!!!

Please reply soon.
thanx :)

Meder Jailoobaev in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan said: I applied to a position of a Database Engineer of Google in Dublin Ireland EU Headquarters. I had a 30 minutes interview. The questions were open type, i.e. the answer for them were not correct or not correct type. I think I did OK. After 2 days they told me to get prepaired for the second round.

But, second round didn't happen - they didn't call me. When I wrote them explaining the situation, they said they rescheduled the interview to another day. That day I again didn't get the call. And again they found a reason telling that they couldn't get through saying that there must be a mobile provider problem. This is nonsense. If someone wouldn't get through to my mobile phone, I would get a message saying that such number tried to call me and didn't get through.

Is this some kind of mocking! Why they just can't tell that I didn't pass the interview directly?

Anyway, I wouldn't like to work with such people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

wfz in Cincinnati, Ohio

81 months ago

Do you know if they disqualify candidates for less than great GPAs? They asked me on all levels of educations. The highest I had was 3.5. Maybe that's not good enough. How do they verify?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Moshe Cohen in Kfar Saba, Israel

81 months ago

If you are interview for a software enginer position I found this blog in which you can find google interview questions:

j2ee-now.blogspot.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Peace in mind in San Jose, California

77 months ago

laks in Kansas City, Missouri said: Hi. I have finished my first round of interview with google for Software Engineer in Test position. If this forum is still active, then can any one say me what kind of questions or areas could I expect for this position in Software Engineer for Test for a second round of interview which is a tech interview.

Thanks.

Can you please let me know what type of questions were asked in the 1st/2nd interviews?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job search in San francisco, California

75 months ago

Pris in Indiana said: Hi there...I have a 1st round non-technical phone interview scheduled next week...can u plz give me an idea as to how it was???? And wat to expect from there?

Hi there...I also have a 1st round non-technical phone interview scheduled next week...can u plz give me an idea as to how it was???? And what can I to expect from there?

I was recommended that it will be on algorithms but i need more idea..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

san francisco person in San Francisco, California

71 months ago

Nancy Wilson said: Splendid! Knock 'em dead. (John Doe, eh?) Nancy, Bay Area

i seem to think that "Nancy, Bay Area" is a google employee- probably in their HR department!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.