How to get a job at Google.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Google? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

93 months ago

I don't work there (yet), but I did apply for a senior online editor position. Yesterday, my info and the job were pulled and obviously the remaining applicants are
being further screened. Question: In the meantime, I have
updated my resume. How do I get the name of the hiring
manager or other significant employee who will be glad to
receive my updated resume and deal with it appropriate?
Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate any help you can offfer. Nancy, San Francisco Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

93 months ago

"How do I get the name of the hiring manager or other significant employee who will be glad to receive my updated resume and deal with it appropriate?"

Here is the Contact Us page for Google. You may be able to find something here, or at least call their main office and ask for their help:
www.google.com/intl/en/contact/index.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy

93 months ago

Thank you, Emma. I have tried their contact sites and get virtually nowhere. No pun intended. I will be trying their main number; however,
Google has a thing about privacy, in particular their own. I'm game to try, with my career counselor backing me all the way! It would be a breath of fresh air to speak with a human being in this jobsearch process. Nancy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Sunnyvale, California

93 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Google? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Before you can get a job at Google, Who is Nelson jobs? (Not Steve's brother, I bet). When you click on the link for a Google job on the jobs site, you are sent to a Web page with a heading Nelson jobs.

Do they subcontract with another company to employ their people? If so, where's the job protection laws???

Tom

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

93 months ago

Tom said:
Actually, Technical Writer. I have done sw eng, but have
been out for a while. Think Tech Writing has more likely opportunities .
. .
Tom
Suggestions for you: Tech writer positions come up almost daily. Have you tried indeed.com? The site crawls other sites and delivers jobs from large and small sites. Set up a search for tech writer. I get four or five a day. Also look at alltech-sys.com, KellyIT (yes, the Kelly Girl of old), Volt.com. All of them are very large and cover the Bay Area and beyond. I've also found it extremely helpful to have a career counselor. Bay Area Career Center in San Francisco has at least a dozen qualified individuals you can speak with. Look at their website: www.bayareacareercenter.com is informative and use can customize their services for your own needs. Nancy, Walnut Creek

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Sunnyvale, California

93 months ago

Nancy Wilson said: Suggestions for you: Tech writer positions come up almost daily. Have you tried indeed.com? The site crawls other sites and delivers jobs from large and small sites. Set up a search for tech writer. I get four or five a day. Also look at alltech-sys.com, KellyIT (yes, the Kelly Girl of old), Volt.com. All of them are very large and cover the Bay Area and beyond. I've also found it extremely helpful to have a career counselor. Bay Area Career Center in San Francisco has at least a dozen qualified individuals you can speak with. Look at their website: www.bayareacareercenter.com is informative and use can customize their services for your own needs. Nancy, Walnut Creek

Interesting! I'm using indeed.com at the moment to create a salary survey. I'w working with the NOVA Job Search folks in Sunnyvale. They are specialists contracted to the State Employment Development Dept to work with long-term unemployed, career change folks, and others. They teach lots of skills including interviewing, rewriting resumes and cover letters, networking, and where and how to job search.

Tom

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

93 months ago

Tom said:
Interesting! I'm using indeed.com at the moment to create
a salary survey. I'w working with the NOVA Job Search folks in Sunnyvale.
They are specialists contracted to the State Employment Development Dept
to work with long-term unemployed, career change folks, and others. They
teach lots of skills including interviewing, rewriting resumes and cover
letters, networking, and where and how to job search.
Tom
Well heck sounds like you're on top of it. Just hang in there. It's been very bad for very, very long, I know. My counselor has also clued me in to electronic research of companies. I could spend days.... Also, have you looked at HP's job portal? I read that HP has just invented or patented a new way to get more info onto chips. They could be preparing to staff up. Nancy, your tech jobs resource!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

91 months ago

Allon said: Google seems to be amazingly picky. They have had a technical
writing position ad running in Phoenix for about 6 months now. I am very
dialed in to the tech writing community here, and everyone I know as well
as myself has received a form rejection e-mail after applying. I would be
curious to hear from a technical writer who actually received an interview
let alone a job offer.
Interesting comments and question, Allon. I'm an editor and writer with a great deal of tech editing (not writing) exerience. I applied to Google for a senior online editing position in December 2006. It's editing all kinds of stuff, including UI content. What I have experienced so far, watching the job get posted and re-posted and re-re-posted for going on 90 days now, is nothing but that. The job just keeps getting reposted. I, and I would assume other applicants, know nothing about what in heaven's name can be going on. I'm interested in reading any other contributors comments and results.

Nancy, San Francisco Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Allon in Phoenix, Arizona

91 months ago

Thank you for the reply, Nancy. I am glad to know I am not the only one baffled by this :-).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

91 months ago

Allon said: Thank you for the reply, Nancy. I am glad to know I am not the only one baffled by this :-).
You bet, Allon. Just hang in there. Don't look back; look forward. It's quite a struggle, I know, but things will change. Lots and lots of people are behind you, wishing you the very best. Nancy, SF Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Redmond, Washington

91 months ago

This might clear up a some of your questions Allon

Recruitment efforts: The H1B dependent employer must also attest to making good faith attempts to recruit U.S. workers and offering prevailing wages for this position. When hiring an H1B worker, it is important for employers to recognize the attendant responsibilities that they must shoulder. Although the requirements are not excessively burdensome, the employer is required to maintain some paperwork to demonstrate its compliance with the law. A clear understanding and fulfillment of these requirements will minimize possible civil penalties and ensure that the employer will be permitted to petition for future H-1B workers.

www.h1base.com/page.asp?id=148

My guess is that its not a job for people in the united states. pretty awesome huh??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Allon in Phoenix, Arizona

91 months ago

Steve, that wording is very interesting. Thank you for sharing it as well as the link. I think I understand now ;-).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cheri B in Hayward, California

91 months ago

GOOGLE, just another company that claims to be FOR THE EMPLOYEE but want you to have a BA/BS to be a Sales Associate.
Don't get me wrong, I was the first one to tell everyone I knew about the article in Time Magazine. What a GREAT company to work for!
A person with over 10+ years of Inbound and Outbound sales experience should be able to get a sales job without a degree!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Oakland, California

91 months ago

I wouldn't work there for all the tea in China. During a telephone interview, Google is very secretive and cannot tell you about the product they're working on and the number of employees in a particular department. In addition, the recruiter doesn't seem to know what she's talking about. You don't know what you're walking into!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Cincinnati, Ohio

91 months ago

Cori in Dallas, TX said:
I'm curious about how long an applicant can expect to wait before being contacted? I've heard any longer than a week and they're not interested. Any insight?

I sent in a resume for a Content Acquisition Associate and I got a reply back within 3 weeks. I also don't get the same feeling they are being as secretive so far in my interviewing process. Then again, I've only had one phone interview with Google. The interview was with someone I'm working for as well, not the recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cori in Dallas, TX in Wylie, Texas

91 months ago

Ok, thanks for your comment. I have applied most recently last week to a new position, so I suppose there's still hope! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Oakland, California

91 months ago

I applied for PR position in the fall. Finally got an email back from them in January. About to have my onsite next week. It is a LONG process with many hoops to jump through, but apparently they have almost no attrition (at least in the comm dept). Also, the position I was applying for (associate) was listed from August until recently because they are ramping up significantly (i.e. it's not just one position that they're looking to fill) So my advice is don't give up.

Also, if you know anyone who works at Google ask them to give you a referral. Apparently it bumps you to the top of the pile (and your friend gets a hefty bonus)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Chicago, Illinois

91 months ago

Cori in Dallas, TX said:
I'm curious about how long an applicant can expect to wait before being contacted? I've heard any longer than a week and they're not interested. Any insight?

No, in my case they got back to me in 5 months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Long Beach, California

90 months ago

Had a phone interview a few weeks back for a product manager position.... Let me back up... Submitted my resume and received an automated confirmation email. A few weeks went by and received an email from a recruiter at google asking if I was still interested and when I was available for a phone interview. Two weeks later I had my phone interview. Total time from submission to phone interview was about 5 weeks.

During the phone interview I was asked to pick a technology product that I use frequently and would recommend to my friends. We spent 20 minutes discussing that product and how to make it better for the user, a typical product manager question. That was fine and dandy then we got into the nitty-gritty. Was asked about different sorting algorithms, their order of complexity, i.e. their Big(O) values, which included linear, log, exponential, etc.... Got through that by the skin of my teeth. Then was asked several "brain-teaser puzzle" questions. First, why would they design a man hole to be round. Not bad, could give a few reasons including man hole lid not falling through, equal distribution of weight along the edges, and being able to roll a heavy man hold lid. That was reasonable enough. Then was asked the 100 floor 2 eggs questions...

You have a building with 100 floors and two eggs. Throwing the eggs out the window, find the last highest floor you can throw the egg out without breaking. If you were to throw an egg out the next floor higher, it would break.

At this point I had a total brain freeze and went blank. The interviewer walked me through the reasoning for about 10 minutes but before I could give an intelligent answer our 45 minute session had expired. BTW, it takes a most 14 tries to find that stinking floor... You do the math.

Almost four weeks now with no reply. I guess I'm not getting the job. I heard it can take as many as 10 interviews and a flight to their mountain view hq before receiving a job offer. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaitlyn in Colorado in Colorado Springs, Colorado

90 months ago

Wow...glad I'm not alone! I applied for a non-tech position in NYC about a week ago. I just get so nervous that it's going to go in this big black hole. From the postings, though, it seems like they really do take the time to sift through the mass amounts of resumes they receive.
Anyone have any ideas on applying for a position out of state? I'm not in NY, but am self-relocating in 3 months. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage trying to get a job from so far away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

90 months ago

Kaitlyn in Colorado said: Wow...glad I'm not alone! I applied for
a non-tech position in NYC about a week ago. I just get so nervous that
it's going to go in this big black hole. From the postings, though, it seems
like they really do take the time to sift through the mass amounts of resumes
they receive.
Anyone have any ideas on applying for a position out of state?
I'm not in NY, but am self-relocating in 3 months. I feel like I'm at a
disadvantage trying to get a job from so far away.
Hi Caitlyn. My gut instinct is not to worry about it too much in this day and age where everyone moves around. If you can, and you probably can because NY likely has a lot of Google employees and events and interesed parties,get online and see what the heppenings are. See if there's some way of getting a friend or cohort to attend. Directly attend anything you find in Colorado Springs. An inside contact is what you should shoot for. FYI, if you got an e-generated confirmation your resume has been received, that's a first step. Don't get too worked up--it's not worth it. I speak from experience. It does something to your brain to care too much. Continue pursuing it in the proper way--productively--and remember all your other priorities. I still haven't heard from them. My inside contact says finalists for my particular position, as part of a committee, are reached by consensus, so it's going to take a while. Or maybe not. (It's been four and a half months since I submitted my app.) In addition, it's a creative positions, which you can't buttonhole with tech questions. I'm not waiting around. If they call, great. Other corps are recruiting me, the way it should be. So, it will be nice if Google calls. That's my two cents. Go for it! Just don't let it ride you. I played that game. It hurts, regardless of whether they'll call or not. Don't hurt yourself. Nancy, SF Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melony in San Jose, California

90 months ago

A friend of mine worked in the staffing department for a short time. Unfortunately, you have to have at least a BA/BS degree to get in. I'm still in school, I have a 2 year degree and I could only get a receptionist position even though I've worked as an assistant to VPs/CEOs for 5 years.
They also fired a friend of mine because they decided they wanted everyone in a particular group to have a Masters degree. He had a BS so he was let go. He has a great job now, making a lot more money :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Oakland, California

90 months ago

Melony said: He had a BS so he was let go. He has a great job now, making a lot more money :)

Google doesn't pay a lot and they work you to the ground. Benefits are marginal. They miss out many talented candidates as their hiring process is taking forever! I'd suggest anyone to look for other companies because it's not worth your time to wait unless you're desperate. I've communicated with four different recruiters at Google and they don't seem to know what they're doing.
There are many other great companies out there with excellent pay and benefits!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Obaid in Ellicott City, Maryland

90 months ago

"How do I get the name of the hiring manager or other significant employee who will be glad to receive my updated resume and deal with it appropriate?"

I recently interviewed there and only the hiring manager gave me his contact info. The other engineers didn't, so I couldn't send thank you notes to them. The HR people will not give out any contact info whatsoever, so it's probably not even worth trying.

One thing I can tell you with almost 100% certainty is that if you submit a resume, it will get reviewed by HR. They have a very large, technical, and competent HR staff that knows what the needs of the position are and if the resume in front of them fulfills those needs. I am pretty sure they review EVERY resume they receive. I interviewed for an engineering position and the HR person actually had an electrical engineering degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

23 Google Applications in Raleigh, North Carolina

90 months ago

I've applied to google 23 times and was rejected 23 times for various IT positions..

I have a BS in Business Admin w/ MIS
I have a MCSE: Security, MCSA: Security, MCP, Security+, A+

Most of the jobs I apply for are college grad positions. I'm told that I am not qualified.

Do I need to go back for a degree in rocket science?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Wilson

90 months ago

23 Google Applications said: I've applied to google 23 times and was rejected 23 times for various IT positions..

I have a BS in Business Admin w/ MIS

I have a MCSE: Security, MCSA: Security, MCP, Security+, A+

Most of the jobs I apply for are college grad positions. I'm told that I am not qualified.

Do I need to go back for a degree in rocket science?

WOW! That's amazing! Tell me more about this, would you please? I think I'm in shock, but I'll try to decipher what you have to share. Nancy, SF Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Hayward, California

90 months ago

23 Google Applications said: Most of the jobs I apply for are college grad positions. I'm told that I am not qualified.

LOL! Don't worry about it. You are overqualified! I've heard that they hire young, college grads who are willing to work long hours and get paid little. I just read a magazine that mentioned on Google being "arrogant and cavalier" to its job applicants and customers. Hmmm...what an attitude! No, thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

HR Missy in San Jose, California

90 months ago

How many years experience do you have?
That counts too... :)

23 Google Applications in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I've applied to google 23 times and was rejected 23 times for various IT positions..

I have a BS in Business Admin w/ MIS
I have a MCSE: Security, MCSA: Security, MCP, Security+, A+

Most of the jobs I apply for are college grad positions. I'm told that I am not qualified.

Do I need to go back for a degree in rocket science?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Susie - East Bay in Hayward, California

90 months ago

23 Google Applications in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I've applied to google 23 times and was rejected 23 times for various IT positions..

I have a BS in Business Admin w/ MIS
I have a MCSE: Security, MCSA: Security, MCP, Security+, A+

Most of the jobs I apply for are college grad positions. I'm told that I am not qualified.

Do I need to go back for a degree in rocket science?

***********

I thought the same exact thing, what the heck do they want! I have applied to about a dozen or so jobs over the past few years and recently had a phone and onsite interview w/Google. I have a BS - International Business and an MBA. I also had 4 years of related job experience. The recruiter called me a week and half later to say that I was not a match for the position based on the interviewers feedback! Who knows what they want? I guess the perfect match in every single aspect.

I was appreciative that I wasn't left hanging and received a personal phone call. She seemed apologetic, so I don't know how many qualified people have been turned down by picky interviewers. I haven't checked to see if the job is still posted. I learned that 8 people had already been interviewed onsite before me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

No, thanks! in Sunnyvale, California

90 months ago

Susie - East Bay in Hayward, California said: ***********

Who knows what they want?


Indeed, you don't know what you're walking into since they are not allowed to tell you much. Sorry for your wasted time!
No, Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NW

90 months ago

No, thanks! in Sunnyvale, California said: Indeed, you don't know what you're walking into since they are not allowed to tell you much. Sorry for your wasted time!
No, Thanks!

Unbelievable! I applied for an editor position in December 2006. They just pulled it two weeks ago, changed the title, and re-posted it. All apps got dumped. What else? Who is in charge there? It's really incredible they get anything at all done. NW, East Bay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jm in wdc in Centreville, Virginia

90 months ago

They seem to be very picky. I was flown out to the Mountainview compound for interviews. I've got tons of experience and got rejected. I think they were picking my brain. Anyway, I interviewed with several people, thought I did pretty good. They don't pay very well and want young, fresh outta college types who'll work for next to nothing. I'm a little older and felt like they were intimidated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

No, thanks! in Sunnyvale, California

90 months ago

jm in wdc in Centreville, Virginia said: I was flown out to the Mountainview compound for interviews. I've got tons of experience and got rejected. They don't pay very well and want young, fresh outta college types who'll work for next to nothing. I'm a little older and felt like they were intimidated.

Why did they invite you to fly all the way to MV knowing that they want young college grads? Seems like a waste of time! Talking about inefficiency...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jm in wdc in Centreville, Virginia

90 months ago

No, thanks! in Sunnyvale, California said: Why did they invite you to fly all the way to MV knowing that they want young college grads? Seems like a waste of time! Talking about inefficiency...

Can't honestly answer that. It definitely turned out to be a waste of my time. Could be my salary requirement(?). Who knows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Urla Hill in San Jose, California

90 months ago

Tom in Sunnyvale, California said: Interesting! I'm using indeed.com at the moment to create a salary survey. I'w working with the NOVA Job Search folks in Sunnyvale. They are specialists contracted to the State Employment Development Dept to work with long-term unemployed, career change folks, and others. They teach lots of skills including interviewing, rewriting resumes and cover letters, networking, and where and how to job search.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the helpful bit. I will call NOVA on Monday . . . I have spent the past decade chasing degrees so that I can be known as a sports historian . . . Unfortunately, with the degrees I earned, I am struggling to find a place to fit in now that I am back in the world of high tech.

Thanks again!

Urla

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sm in Bellevue, Washington

90 months ago

Does google always return a response if they feel that your resume does not fit the requirement

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NW

90 months ago

sm in Bellevue, Washington said: Does google always return a response if they feel that your resume does not fit the requirement

I would like to know the answer to this, too! NW, Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

GRL in San Jose, California

90 months ago

NW said: I would like to know the answer to this, too! NW, Bay Area

Yes, I've received a few Thanks but no thanks emails from Google...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NW

90 months ago

GRL in San Jose, California said: Yes, I've received a few Thanks but no thanks emails from Google...

I've received nothing except confirmation of receipt of my application/resume in December 2006. The job I applied for simply sits there on the Web site. It's been five months. I don't get it. NW, Bay Area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maureen Mehl in New York, New York

89 months ago

If the egg hard boiled? What was the answer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Tempe in Tempe, Arizona

89 months ago

Please, oh please don't change "How to get a job at Google" to "How to get a job at Google in Phoenix." This thread would then be reduced to two words - You Can't.

Google in Phoenix is advertising for a Technical Writer... again. This bad penny of an offering crops up on the frequency of once every three to four months. The job description is the same, and so is the e-mailed boilerplate rejection letter that they fling at you with the same predictable regularity.

I know Allon in Phoenix (see his comments beginning two months ago, above). He is a capable and amazingly adaptable writer who has impressive achievements to present to any employer. However, Allon is a master of understatement when he calls Google "amazingly picky." "Impossible to satisfy" and "magnificently irritating in their unclearly-defined requirements" are the phrases that I would choose.

Based on the rejections that I, Allon, and many other experienced writers have summarily received from Google, I hereby suggest the following rewrite of their Super Vampire Ad, which refuses to die even after a stake through the heart:

Google needs writers to perform vague or unspecified tasks at our division in Phoenix that you are somehow expected to target with your resume. The individual best suited for our organization must, like us, be Arrogance Incarnate. However, no matter what your qualifications, rest assured that one month after submission you'll receive our stock e-mail stating that your world-class qualifications are not a "strong match" for any "position available... at this time." Come see if our appearance matches our reality - come to Google.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Maureen Mehl in New York, New York

89 months ago

Once again, I can't seem to get the question about which floor the eggs would be thrown out and not break fromthe 100 floor building.

Do you know the answer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy, SF Bay Area

89 months ago

Tony in Tempe in Tempe, Arizona said: Please, oh please don't change "How to get a job at Google" to "How to get a job at Google in Phoenix." This thread would then be reduced to two words - You Can't.

Google in Phoenix is advertising for a Technical Writer... again. This bad penny of an offering crops up on the frequency of once every three to four months. The job description is the same, and so is the e-mailed boilerplate rejection letter that they fling at you with the same predictable regularity.

I know Allon in Phoenix (see his comments beginning two months ago, above). He is a capable and amazingly adaptable writer who has impressive achievements to present to any employer. However, Allon is a master of understatement when he calls Google "amazingly picky." "Impossible to satisfy" and "magnificently irritating in their unclearly-defined requirements" are the phrases that I would choose.

Based on the rejections that I, Allon, and many other experienced writers have summarily received from Google, I hereby suggest the following rewrite of their Super Vampire Ad, which refuses to die even after a stake through the heart:

Google needs writers to perform vague or unspecified tasks at our division in Phoenix that you are somehow expected to target with your resume. The individual best suited for our organization must, like us, be Arrogance Incarnate. However, no matter what your qualifications, rest assured that one month after submission you'll receive our stock e-mail stating that your world-class qualifications are not a "strong match" for any "position available... at this time." Come see if our appearance matches our reality - come to Google.

Tony, you have talent! I laughed and cried aloud. The EXACT same thing happens here; happened to me, too. Let me say that I met each requirement and exceeded many. I have a graduate degree from the world's top writing school. Ain't enough. Hang tough. Love from the West to you and Allon, Nancy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bin Writin, USA in Wilton, Connecticut

89 months ago

I recently interviewed with Google for a tech writing slot. I scored well in the online survey (they called my house the next day), they liked my resume, GPA 4.0 from a top university (M.A. degree), they called my writing samples "rock solid," I passed the phone interview, I went thru a 5-hr on-site set of interviews with 5 interviewers, thought I did well, then 2 weeks later they call and said I did do well, but didn't get the job. No real explanation.

Mind you I have 5+ years of recent experience as a sr. tech writer at a billion-$ software company, with a totally clean record (no "surprises") and great references. I read and write several programming languages and have done original algorithm research resulting in patents.

I really don't know what Google is looking for.

I know one thing, they are overworking their existing tech writers (I can't reveal details, but certain numbers were told to me), and they need to staff up much faster than they are doing (on the writing side). But they keep advertising the same one or two positions over and over, never filling them. This tells me they don't really value technical writing at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bin Writin, USA in Wilton, Connecticut

89 months ago

sorry about the double-post

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashish in Los Gatos, California

89 months ago

To start wth, Google has a very weird process of interviewing. I have been there for 2 different positions. The first one, I cracked the interview. It went really well, even the interviewers were quite impressed, especially the Project Manager under whom the person would have worked. 2 weeks later, I get a reply, that I wasn't selected by the committee who a) were not present during the interview, b) don't have any idea about your personality, c) just go by the papers. I was then persnally called by the PM about this and she referred me to another position that I later interviewed. I was sent a feedback form and I was very critical about the whole process. But I must say, I like the culture there, being a recent graduate from school. I wish they had a portal where your submittal status was updated, like Bearing Point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Tampa, Florida

87 months ago

Nancy Wilson said: Interesting comments and question, Allon. I'm an editor and writer with a great deal of tech editing (not writing) exerience. I applied to Google for a senior online editing position in December 2006. It's editing all kinds of stuff, including UI content. What I have experienced so far, watching the job get posted and re-posted and re-re-posted for going on 90 days now, is nothing but that. The job just keeps getting reposted. I, and I would assume other applicants, know nothing about what in heaven's name can be going on. I'm interested in reading any other contributors comments and results.

Nancy, San Francisco Bay Area

Nancy, I applied to a position witin Google and had about five phone interviews from HR to the hiring manager from Mountain View to Manhattan. Although they were very nice they eventually told me the position was frozen. The posting was re-posted over and over for about a year. Either they have communication problems or it was truly frozen. Some positions remain posted but they're not actively recruiting. It can be frustrating!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

knowitall in Franklin, Michigan

87 months ago

bin Writin, USA in Wilton, Connecticut said: I recently interviewed with Google for a tech writing slot. I scored well in the online survey (they called my house the next day), they liked my resume, GPA 4.0 from a top university (M.A. degree), they called my writing samples "rock solid," I passed the phone interview, I went thru a 5-hr on-site set of interviews with 5 interviewers, thought I did well, then 2 weeks later they call and said I did do well, but didn't get the job. No real explanation.

Mind you I have 5+ years of recent experience as a sr. tech writer at a billion-$ software company, with a totally clean record (no "surprises") and great references. I read and write several programming languages and have done original algorithm research resulting in patents.

I really don't know what Google is looking for.

I know one thing, they are overworking their existing tech writers (I can't reveal details, but certain numbers were told to me), and they need to staff up much faster than they are doing (on the writing side). But they keep advertising the same one or two positions over and over, never filling them. This tells me they don't really value technical writing at all.

All they did was get your ideas (R&D) for free while pretending to be interested n you. Your 4.0 did not help you in that aspect!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

K2 in San Jose, California

87 months ago

I once had an interview with Google (HQ) a couple of years ago. It went bad. There really is a lot of hype. Tips- After applying for Exec. Assistant job, it was 2 months before they contacted me. I learned that Google will not look at any resume that does not have at least a Bachelor's degree. The second tip is to arrive ½ hour or more early because there is no parking at the HQ sight. And you have to wait in a long line at the front desk to enter your name and type your own badge. I must have been behind a tour group that day. It took a week to get an interview once they contacted me. I was dealing with two people from HR. My interview took place in a white padded room. Kind of like a jungle gym. It was near to lunch. There are so many distractions at Google of candy vending machines, soda for the taking. And everyone's cubicle is decorated which is also distracting. I think I saw an orange effigy hanging. Anyway, someone needed the room, so the interview was moved to the cafe and we interviewed at a pod table. The chairs were so high and the table was too small to put my resume on. Everyone is now entering the café and it is getting noisy. I was interviewed by two women. One did not like me from the get go. The other woman, who I would have been replacing, told me how bad her boss was and then asked me why I would like to work there. Get this, she told me that she was an Engineer and was going to move lateral. To be Continued...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.