Guardsmark Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 80)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Guardsmark?

What do you like best about working at Guardsmark? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

vic in Uledi, Pennsylvania

99 months ago

if they are looking for help at dicks sporting goods dc center in smithton pa be aware youll work your ass off for little pay............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Mr Carman in Franklin, Tennessee

96 months ago

See what the top guys are Ford were getting -Checkout the new Ford Book - Ford and the American Dream - by Clifton Lambreth - www.thefordbook.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Southfield, Michigan

96 months ago

C in Chicago, Illinois said: I agree with the lengthy comments about Guardsmark. I also witnessed about everything that the gentleman from Farmington said. The company also has a habit of enforcing non-competition agreements. YOU ALL sign these when you are hired by Guardsmark. This means that if another security company takes a contract away from Guardsmark and you are working at that client site, you will not be able to roll over into the new company and keep your job, pay, etc. You will be on unemployment. Guardsmark has done this to hundreds of employees!!! They did this to over 80 employees at one site alone. Those willing to move out of state/area for the company were promised "help" with moving expenses...they were given less than HALF of what they were told they would get. The rest of the people contributed to Michigan's already astronomical unemployment rate. Guardsmark KNEW there was nothing for those people and the could CARE LESS. Never ever work for them or accept security services from them. They will ruin your lift. If you already work for them, my sympathies, especially when you receive your annual Christmas card from the president of Guardsmark's family showing off how they have all the money and you don't.

know truer words were spoken they have not changed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

vic in Uniontown, Pennsylvania

95 months ago

you sound like a ringer to me .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

K88 in Cleveland, Ohio

95 months ago

I don't recommend this company to anyone.

I agree with the first blog that gentleman wrote. I happy for you that you all got a raise and that you have a decent manager, but some of us have managers that do not care about you and will give you the shaft any and every chance they get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

love is the key in Rock Hill, South Carolina

94 months ago

what kind of test you had to take and did you sign a paper taht asking for your medical recored from you doctor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

boodrow in Texarkana, Texas

82 months ago

I have worked for Guardsmark for over a year and have been trying to get away ever since I was hired. They hired us saying payday was every other Friday, now it's every other Saturday they Fedex them to us, and you can't do jack with your check until Monday. So, if you needed the money for the weekend ... you're out of luck.
Also, I've been there a year and my supervisor told me that the vacation time doesn't go into effect until the end of your second year. It starts accumulating after the 1st year and at the end of the 2nd year it is available. That sucks.
We got paid a starting salary of 8.75 then after a year and a new contract with the client we got a huge raise.... .50 an hour..totally ridiculous.
They talk so much about their Ethics Program for Security Officers, they should take a look at their Ethics Program for Management because they totally suck.
I wouldn't recommend Guardsmark to anyone for anyreason. I would rather work at McDonalds which I probably will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

texx in Texas, Texas

82 months ago

In response to boodrow:

Some of what you say is true but let me clarify a few things. Yes payday is every other friday. I'm going to assume that your check is fedexed overnight (received saturday morning) because of the distance between the account you're at and the governing branch office. The vast majority of guardsmark employees do receive their check on that friday. Let's move on to the topic of vacation... vacation does go into effect after your first year... however its pro-rated and if you leave the company before the second year, you could possibly owe some of it back. Also, you said you got a 50 cent raise after being their a year... thats a 6% increase, which is double the rate of average inflation. Finally, i want to conclude by saying that if your that unhappy and few the need to thrash the company you work for on a forum... than why not find a different job that makes you happy? just my two cents..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (52) Reply - Report abuse

texx in Texas, Texas

82 months ago

boodrow in Texarkana, Texas said: texx in Texas... you must be in the vast majority that gets your check on payday otherwise you would see what I meant by not having your hard earned money available when you need it. I hate having to wait until Monday or sometimes even Tuesday before I can deposit my check because sometimes we don't get it until Monday or Tuesday and then I have to make an extra trip out to the site to pick it up, which is a 20 mile drive both ways. A company as large as Guardsmark should have direct deposit available for those of us outside the "vast majority" so we could have our money on payday. That is actually my biggest complaint with Guardsmark. The other things I mentioned are minor but when my paycheck is messed with I start getting upset. That's my two cents worth. Well, I'll have it Monday when I can deposit my check.

Yea i agree with you 100 percent with direct deposit. Only accounts that have a set amount of hours are eligible for direct deposit. There's really nothing your managers can do about it, so its not their fault. There's no reason why anyone should not have direct deposit with any company. Lipman is hesitant about direct deposit for some reason or another...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Clark in Ashland, Ohio

81 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Guardsmark?

What do you like best about working at Guardsmark? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

After reading above coments I am a little leery

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J-Pitch in Bloomington, Illinois

80 months ago

SPOOK in MIAMI, Florida said: The south Florida office is the worst of any company I've ever worked for. The new manager Nelson Rodriguez is the worst of the worst. Vindictive, petty, verbally abusive. the list goes on and on.
How this ass-hat ever got promoted shows a serious lack of judgement. He obviously never took the lie detector test and had some one else do his psyche profile for him. Unless you kiss his ass expect to go nowhere no matter how well you do your job.
We had one supervisor get removed by the client from 2 different accounts on suspicion of stealing laptops and other items. Nelson was still going to keep this guy if not for the client of one account personally writing Memphis to complain about this guy's shady doings. Another guy was removed for making racist comments and other derogatory comments. Guess what? He still has a job!

This is a matter of judging an entire company on the practices of the few. I have worked for Guardsmark for over two years, working from Officer to Sergeant in that time. I have never had a problem with receiving any guaranteed benefits, tuition assistance, or had to deal with disreputable employees for more than a month or two. Whenever an employee has given me trouble, I have sought the assistance of my Account Manager, and they have been relocated when appropriate, or simply fired.
I know that it can be hard working for a blow-hard, I do it everyday. My Account Manager is a "yes" man who can't think without the client giving him the idea first, but I personally speak with the liaison from our client and have gotten all necessary accommodations for my officers. In addition, not an anniversary has gone by where I have not secured at LEAST a 50 cent raise for my guy/gals. The trick is satisfying the client, and doing the job right. Customer Service starts with the Officer, and moves up the chain. Make your client happy, and they will ensure you are taken care of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Sasha C in Georgia

80 months ago

Hello all. I've been working for Guardsmark for several months and I can honestly say that I haven't had any of the problems that most in this forum have mentioned. I think that just because there are a few bad accounts out there it doesn't mean that the entire company is all that bad. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have a great captain and our account manager seems to really look out for us, he is always available to listen and he has helped me along more than once. Direct deposite was set up by my third pay check and I just received my first raise. They are the highest paying security company in this area and the benefits are not amazing but alot better than the competition. Guardsmark is a very large company and as such there will always be rediculous-ness that must be dealt with, this is the way of the world. I'm not so sure that any company on this type of scale can be absolutely perfect, you have to be able to over-come the trivialities of the job and improve your own work enviroment until you are satisfied. Guardsmark, for me, has been a completely acceptable place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

merkin in Florida

78 months ago

I would be very wary of the application you are asked to fill out especially the section regarding release of medical records. This section gives Guardsmark the right to collect forever all of your medical history without any need for reasonableness and holds them harmless without limitation to any claim arising out of the release of this information. It would seem to me odd that a company that asks an employee to swear an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States in the same breath asks them to give up their right to privacy. I read somewhere in this forum that someone stated this information allows them to provide better medical benefits and fine tune their medical plan. That comment is such nonsense is is hard to respond to without using language I would prefer not to use. My advice to anyone considering working for guardsmark is read that application VERY VERY carefully. You might be surprised what you are in fact signing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

While you do give access to Guardsmark for your medical records, the only release you allow them is themselves, their affiliates and third-parties. This would include hospital/medical personnel, their insurance providers, and themselves, obviously. This can be used for two main reasons. First, evaluation of medical coverage, adjusting cost based off of average risk over the whole company, and ensuring that you did not lie on your application. Second this information helps protect them from fraudulent workers comp. claims. If you had a previous injury and then get "hurt" on-site, Guardsmark will not have to cover you if they can show it was a preexisting condition.

While it seems you sign away your rights for all of eternity, they can not access your information once your employment is terminated, and they can not share your information outside of business practices. This is against the law. The only reason you can not hold them liable for suit is because, in the instance of information theft, they can not always foresee attacks and promise 100% protection. This is standard form for most all employment, now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

merkin in Florida

78 months ago

First off, it would be illegal for anyone at the company to have access to an employee's medical records for anything other than a need to know basis. Medical records are covered by strict Compliance laws which I do not have time to explain here but you can research on your own. The release is vague. You assume and define third parties in your post, the release does not. Are you their HR rep or insurance rep or understand medical record complaince? Your dicussion for the need of records would seem to indicate employer self-insurance (which is perfectly fine). CONTINUED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

merkin in Florida

78 months ago

You also state release of medical records would help reduce workman's comp fraud.
It seems odd that I am supposed to trust the Company with my entire medical history AND indemnify, hold harmless, etc.. in case of any damages to me whatsoever but they do not trust me. A thorough medical exam would suffice to find pre-existing medical conditions as well as the polyraph and the thorough background check they do. If they can't access my records after employment is terminated, why is this not stated in the release I signed? Once again, they can't share my history period accept on a need to know basis this is illegal not just out of the business. Lastly, there is NO limit anywhere as to why they are protected from suit from damages arising from release of records to them you made up information theft. And their web site states they are in the business of information protection. Ironic. Anyway, Guradsmark may be the best place on the Planet to work I am just saying read what you sign carefully because it is witnessed and you are signing a lot away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

merkin in Florida

78 months ago

AS AN UPDATE....

According to An Expert in Labor and Employment Law here in Florida:

Unless a Company has made a Conditional Offer of Employment, it is 100% Illegal to require a prospective employee to release their medical records as part of a pre-employment background check. This was just confirmed. Sorry J-Pitch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

merkin in Florida said: AS AN UPDATE....

According to An Expert in Labor and Employment Law here in Florida:

Unless a Company has made a Conditional Offer of Employment, it is 100% Illegal to require a prospective employee to release their medical records as part of a pre-employment background check. This was just confirmed. Sorry J-Pitch.

By the time you reach the phase of pre-employment where you are filing release of medical records, you HAVE been offered a Conditional Offer of Employment. One of those conditions is a release of medical history. That makes the request legal and legitimate.

You also state:"First off, it would be illegal for anyone at the company to have access to an employee's medical records for anything other than a need to know basis. Medical records are covered by strict Compliance laws"

If you read my previous statement I said:"and they can not share your information outside of business practices. This is against the law" So I have, indeed, acknowledged that there are legal provisions guarding abuse.

You follow:"The release is vague. You assume and define third parties in your post, the release does not. Are you their HR rep or insurance rep or understand medical record complaince?"
The release is allowed to be as vague as they want it to be. Federal laws only dictates so much information NEED BE PRESENT on release forms, but the use of that information if still regulated by Federal and State law, regardless of those regulations being included on the paper work submitted and signed. No company can force you to sign away rights, protections, or give exclusion to existing law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

merkin in Florida

78 months ago

J-Pitch in Bloomington, Illinois said: By the time you reach the phase of pre-employment where you are filing release of medical records, you HAVE been offered a Conditional Offer of Employment. One of those conditions is a release of medical history. That makes the request legal and legitimate.

That's odd, I was told by the Company that I had to sign the release (page 25 of the employment application) and have it witnessed the day I submitted the application or I could not move forward with the application process because it was necessary for the pre-employment background check. An application is a far cry from a conditional offer. Anyhow I tire from this obfuscation. Let the signer beware and hope everyone has a better 2009 I am out of this forum it has too much disinformation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

acs_08 in Henderson, Nevada

78 months ago

It seems like there are a lot of complaints by officers out in the field about their management at the branch level. If there are serious concerns involving your managers you can bring them up to the corporate office and they can investigate what is going on. They will respond to your complaints and can perhaps help clear up any miscommunication. I've contacted the corporate office several times and always gotten a response.

Also, if anyone is concerned about filling out the application-- the application is only submitted once the office has decided to hire you. Meaning, any signed documents are effective once you have already been extended an offer. Some branches don't even give out the application until they are going to hire you-- but not all branches do that.

Lastly, in regards to being shorted pay-- everyone fills out their own time card-- if the problem is consistent than you might want to make a copy of your time card and see if you can get a copy of your corresponding daily report. That way you can show your pay stub and compare it to the time you worked. Make sure to bring it to your manager and they should be able to fix the error. At least that is how it works at my branch. We all just have to understand that sometimes human error comes into play.

One other thing, you are eligible for vacation after your first year. You can take it anytime between your first and second anniversary-- however you are still earning the full week throughout that second year. Technically you can take a vacation after one year-- even if you haven't accrued your full vacation time yet.

Guardsmark is the best company I have worked for, and I hope that any of the people looking at this forum are not too discouraged from applying. I'm glad I did. Also, more importantly-- everyone with complaints should bring them up to corporate. If all of the complaints are substantiated, something will be done and hopefully it will result in an improvement in your branch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

unappreciated ex employee in Tampa, Florida

77 months ago

I worked for Guardsmark for about 4 months and it turned out to be the worse experience of my life. I came to the company with outstanding crendentials but I was shalfed as many of you have stated in your comments. They advertise for people to come to the office and fill out an application which is the longest application I have ever filled out in my life! For what! The managment is awful and they back the vendors even though the vendor does not have the security experience. I had the vendor change operating procedures and downgrade the security policies at the site I was at. I was criticized for eating at the post and the vendor at the site was were getting his money worth since you were a receptionist and security officer and supervisor. I have only had about 2 jobs in my life and all my prior employers promoted me very quickly since I am a hard worker and I have extensive managment experience. I recently took a promotion since the prior site supervisor had told me that the managers were poor and did not back your decisions. I should have gone with my gut feelings which was not to take the promotion. I was only promoted for about a month and then I was contacted by one of the managers and told the vendor wanted me removed from the position only to later disciver that the vendor was surprised that I was not there at the site! I was raised to tell the truth but the managment of guardmark does just the opposite. I tried to correct deficiences at the site and instead of being praised for my efforts I was criticized. The managment backs up managers at some of the sites that have no people skills yet I went the extra mile for my employees including getting them uniforms and even assisting an employee with getting his security license renewed. I was replaced by someone with vitally no managment experience but if you go with the flow and dont question anything you survive in their environment. I have always taken initiative in my jobs yet this is a bad thing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Sasha C in Georgia said: Hello all. I've been working for Guardsmark for several months and I can honestly say that I haven't had any of the problems that most in this forum have mentioned. I think that just because there are a few bad accounts out there it doesn't mean that the entire company is all that bad. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have a great captain and our account manager seems to really look out for us, he is always available to listen and he has helped me along more than once. Direct deposite was set up by my third pay check and I just received my first raise. They are the highest paying security company in this area and the benefits are not amazing but alot better than the competition. Guardsmark is a very large company and as such there will always be rediculous-ness that must be dealt with, this is the way of the world. I'm not so sure that any company on this type of scale can be absolutely perfect, you have to be able to over-come the trivialities of the job and improve your own work enviroment until you are satisfied. Guardsmark, for me, has been a completely acceptable place to work.

You certianly are luckier than the rest of us who have been shalfed by this company. You are also lucky with the direct deposit most the accounts dont have it so you have to chase after your check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

It seems to me, unappreciated, that you already explained WHY you were treated so "bad". You brought it on yourself. First, your attitude is horrible. You state that you have excellent credentials, but then further state you have only had "about two jobs" in your life. Unless common sense is rarer than I thought, that isn't excellent even if all two were in security. So you were promoted at your other jobs, that is awesome, but that may not mean you have the necessary skills to survive at this site.
Add to this your presumption in assuming you have the authority to downgrade procedure and policy at a site. Even if you are a site supervisor you can not do that. I would know since I am one. The procedures and policies are dictated by contract (MPS), not the whim of a 4 month long employee.
I am sorry, but I highly doubt any of your promotions or railroading with Guardsmark even happened. It seems to me, because I have seen it before, that you got the job, thought you were God's gift, tried to take over while disregarding policy (i.e. eating on post), and then were shocked when Guardsmark didn't bend over sobbing and kissing your feet.
Some advise from a manager to a disgruntled employee... learn from this, move on, and grow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

those comments you said dont apply to me at all. My attitude is far from horrible since you dont know me and have no ideaq what credentials are to make that statment. No my positions were not in security compnies but I doubt most of the security officer possess 6 years of college and 22 working with the state and obtaining the high range that I had. I did not downgrade the security policies the vendor at the site did this. Even though in my prior work history I did write my own local operating procedures. You can believe what you want but I have a feeling your experience may be different and that is great but the prior site supervisor was very nice to work for and the management of Guardsmark did not back him up on decisions. I am far from feeling I am God's gift to anyone and I find that comment a real put down but what I am is an individual who has been viewed by peers, employees who worked for me and supervisors as being a loyal, reliable, hard working individual. I have called out sick nor did I ever show up late even when I worked for the state. I used very little sick time and never had any discipline in the 22 years I worked for the state which is more than most employees can say especially considering the fact that my work was very dangerous. I was even selected to be on the hostile negotiation team due to my ability to effectively communciate. As far as eating on the post if you review the gori book if you have a post which you have no relieve then you are permitted to eat on post. I worked as most of did a 8 hour shift and I doubt you would want to go 8 hours wothout eating. I never expected Guardsmark or any employer to kiss my feet. But I did expect honestly which is what I did not receive from the managers I worked for. I know alot of Guardsmark employees and managers in the Tampa area that feel the same way I do so it is not just me but due to the economy they feel they are stuck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

"I had the vendor change operating procedures and downgrade the security policies at the site I was at."
"I did not downgrade the security policies the vendor at the site did this."
Only one of those statements can be true, yet you stated both. You ether were or were not responsible.
"I doubt most of the security officer possess 6 years of college and 22 working with the state and obtaining the high range that I had"
I may not have 22 yrs working for a state department but I have more than six years of college education. Just because you grabbed an overly paying and hard to get fired from union job with the state, doesn't mean you will do well in security... to wit, your statement...
"No my positions were not in security compnies"
... so you admit you have absolutely no experience in the field. How are your credentials great, again?
If I were looking for a florist, I wouldn't hire someone with a Master's in Physics and 12 years working at NASA because they have "great credentials". Instead, I would hire the A.A. in Botany who has worked at the local greenery nursery for 5 years.

Relevance of work history is important, more so than just having had a job that happened to be "dangerous". And you are right, the GOR&I says you must eat on post if you have a working lunch period, so if you got reprimanded for this, why didn't you start calling Regional to file complaints and then make sure they were followed up on? Seems to me that would be the first step...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

To clarify issues I worked for the department of corrections and was a porobation officer and a correctional officer for 15 years. I did not lose my job I retired. I had to attend the correctional academy which teachs more then you would ever learn in a security class. What I meant was My jobs where not just thru a private secuirty company although I did work with Sentry events while I worked for the department of corrections. My bachelors degree is in psycholghy and masters dgree in counseling. While I worked for sentry events I also was promoted and in charge of all the city of tampa parking lots, worked all the lighting games and various other events. There is no reason to call the local office since they are the root of the problem. Before you condemn me walk in my shoes qand work for the managers in Tampa and you would think differnetly. Also I did not change the procedures it was the vendor who was not secuirty background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

additionally by the way alot of people have the wrong idea about stqte jobs. Number one it was not an easy job and I was not protected by the union since I was in managment yes there are lazy state employees but there are lazy people in all walks of life including security people who only want to do the minimum, dont show up to work and only want a pay check. I have never had that attitude in any job I have ever had in my life. It does make me better than anyone else but I don feel my work ethich which my parents taught is better than most people's. I always show up early, worked 8 sites for this company and never could count on what my schedule was wekk to week. This is one of the reason we can not keep staff in Tampa. People do have a life and the turnover rate is very high due to the constant change in schdeules and no statbility. Also how can you verify A company with this many offices has no direct deposit. Many staff have said it is a hardship on them since they cannt cash their check until monday and they are broke. At the site I was at their was over 24 staff members that left in 18 months. In one site the person who makes the most is getting the most overtime yet nothing is ever said to her about it and she changed the schedule 6 times in one week on staff yet they retained her as a manager, You may be one of the lucky staff members who have decent managers and did not have a difficult vendor to deal with. I did not have that fortune of an experience. But everyone has a right to their opinion and this is the only job in my life that I have walked out of. I got another job in less then 2 weeks with a manager that does appreciate me. I make less but money is not the most important thing in the world to me. I am fortunate since I did get 4 promotions with the state and have a state pension, if something is a good fit for me I can do this, Alot of people in this economy have to take whatever employers dish out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

boodrow in Texarkana, Texas said: I have worked for Guardsmark for over a year and have been trying to get away ever since I was hired. They hired us saying payday was every other Friday, now it's every other Saturday they Fedex them to us, and you can't do jack with your check until Monday. So, if you needed the money for the weekend ... you're out of luck.
Also, I've been there a year and my supervisor told me that the vacation time doesn't go into effect until the end of your second year. It starts accumulating after the 1st year and at the end of the 2nd year it is available. That sucks.
We got paid a starting salary of 8.75 then after a year and a new contract with the client we got a huge raise.... .50 an hour..totally ridiculous.
They talk so much about their Ethics Program for Security Officers, they should take a look at their Ethics Program for Management because they totally suck.
I wouldn't recommend Guardsmark to anyone for anyreason. I would rather work at McDonalds which I probably will.

I agree with you 100 percent that is why I left. Now I work for a suopervisor who is so nice and apppreciates me. I would rather make less and go to work not having nots in my stomache which is what I had working at Guardsmark. It is not easy to change jobs as I am not a job hopper but I dont regret the move I made. My experience may be different although I cannt believe any employee that works for a company that is this large and in so many area of the country and world does not have direct deposit. The manager ends up dropping off the checks but if you are not working at the site when the check is dropped off so either you go to the office and pick it up or have to drive later on the site to pick up your check. This is very costly with gas and the economy being the way it is. I honestly will have to say this is the worse experience I have ever had in my life in the employment sector. I was fortunate that I had income so I could leave

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

K88 in Cleveland, Ohio said: I don't recommend this company to anyone.

I agree with the first blog that gentleman wrote. I happy for you that you all got a raise and that you have a decent manager, but some of us have managers that do not care about you and will give you the shaft any and every chance they get.

I agree with you totally. The managers I delat with very awful. The vendor was impossible to work for and I have had some difficult bosses to deal with in the past but the ones in Tampa ar even worse then some of the managers that work for the state of florida which I thought would be hard to top. I got shafted big time by this company therefore, I would not recommend this company to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

"My experience may be different although I cannt believe any employee that works for a company that is this large and in so many area of the country and world does not have direct deposit."
"either you go to the office and pick it up or have to drive later on the site to pick up your check. This is very costly with gas and the economy being the way it is"

Not trying to pick on you specifically, unappreciated, but your post was the most recent with this noted on it...

I see a lot of people are complaining about Direct Deposit not being available, and I agree that this can be inconvenient, but let's put it in perspective. If your employer says pay day is Friday, but you don't work Friday or Saturday, then you have to make an extra trip to get your check on Friday. However, there is a much more logical solution to this "problem".

The solution is this: You pick up your check on Sunday when you return to work (or Tuesday, et al) and take it to the bank on the next business day. This would mean that, while checks arrive Friday, your "effective" payday is Monday or Wednesday, etc. If you then budget, and only spend, around this schedule, it does not negatively impact your life whatsoever.

So, when we consider no direct deposit (OH NO!!! MY WORLD IS CRASHING!!!), let's, please, keep it all in perspective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

No ones world is crashing without direct deposit but it is convenient to have it. Also Ihave to support an elderly mother in a nursing home and help out my daughter so and I am sure other people have outside responsibilities so you can budget the best you can but I was the only one in tampa who saw this as a hardship. Others have said this too about guardsmark yet you single me out! We all have a right to our opinion obviously I seem to annoy you since you requote everything I say. What is that all about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

"Not trying to pick on you specifically, unappreciated, but your post was the most recent with this noted on it... "

That is the first line of my text from my last post. Note, NOT trying to pick on you.

Your statement regarding direct deposit just HAPPENED to be the most convenient. The last post was a general statement to a viewpoint, not a response to your post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

ok i understand, thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

It is ironic that the person who now has my job I guess was what they were looking for. Someone who asks the managers what to do on every move. I could never be a manager for a company where I am not allowed to make decisions and be myself. Why have a site supervisor if the managers in tampa do all your thinking and decisionmaking and you make none. They may as well work the post since they really dont need you. I wish her well and if it works for her, Guardsmark and the vendor, I am happy for her but in the workworld that I came from I was encouraged to take initiative but not for that company so perhaps anyone who reads this can understand why I call myself the unappreciated employee. I have been 3 weeks on a different job and I do make less money but the manager is a very nice person and has no problems in admitting when he makes a mistake. To me that is a breathe of fresh air from the environment I was in with the managers in Tampa and the vendor. Ironically no one likes the vendor that works at the company he works for, I have no idea how individuals who have no people skills and are bias become managers but I did see this also when I worked for the state that people were given special priviledges and even are running some of the prisons who should have been let go or never been managers it is called the peter principle. I totally believe in everyone having an equal opportunity when it comes to jobs or promotions but I dont beleive anyone should get a job or promotion or be protected by managers since they are the same sex, race, religion which does go on in this company as it did with the state of Florida. What about being judged on your quailifications gee a new and different idea but does it really happen? No, especially with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

acs_08 in Henderson, Nevada said: It seems like there are a lot of complaints by officers out in the field about their management at the branch level. If there are serious concerns involving your managers you can bring them up to the corporate office and they can investigate what is going on. They will respond to your complaints and can perhaps help clear up any miscommunication. I've contacted the corporate office several times and always gotten a response.

Also, if anyone is concerned about filling out the application-- the application is only submitted once the office has decided to hire you. Meaning, any signed documents are effective once you have already been extended an offer. Some branches don't even give out the application until they are going to hire you-- but not all branches do that.

Lastly, in regards to being shorted pay-- everyone fills out their own time card-- if the problem is consistent than you might want to make a copy of your time card and see if you can get a copy of your corresponding daily report. That way you can show your pay stub and compare it to the time you worked. Make sure to bring it to your manager and they should be able to fix the error. At least that is how it works at my branch. We all just have to understand that sometimes human error comes into play.

One other thing, you are eligible for vacation after your first year. You can take it anytime between your first and second anniversary-- however you are still earning the full week throughout that second year. Technically you can take a vacation after one year-- even if you haven't accrued your full vacation time yet.

Guardsmark is the best company I have worked for, and I hope that any of the people looking at this forum are not too discouraged from applying. I'm glad I did. Also, more importantly-- everyone with complaints should bring them up to corporate. If all of the complaints are substantiated, something will be done and hopefully it will result in an

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

wow you sure are not talking about the same company or branch I worked for. When I was the site supervisor I had contacted the memphis office to get some information and I was advised that I was not to contact the memphis office again also I know of another employee who called in january about getting her tax information and she advised me they were very rude to her. Lets face it no security companies are unionized or have internal affairs like law enfoircement does so I believe that is one of the reasons in general people that are younger and want a job with benefits they are not going to stick with a security position in general. I receive a pension at least for working for the state and I did not have to contribute to it. I doubt too many people with the economy and the stock market being so volatile are going to invest and none of us in security except the upper managers who not only get a salary but receive bonuses I doubt can save much if any money from our small checks with the cost of gas, housing, food, etc. I feel this is one of the reasons people go in security since either they have other income like myself and security unlike other jobs doesnt discriminate on you agewise even though other employment is not suppose to do so but lets face it everyone knows that is not reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

"...I had contacted the memphis office to get some information and I was advised that I was not to contact the memphis office..."

This could have been a violation of Chain of Command. Why did you call and had you brought it to the attention of all personnel in your chain? I only say this because I have dealt with Memphis a great many times and with several departments and was never told not to contact them. In fact, I have the direct lines of four individuals in benefits alone, just in case I need to call about their specific area(s), again.

"...called in january about getting her tax information and she advised me they were very rude to her..."

This is not a surprise regardless of where you work. All HR dept.'s in every industry get inundated with calls about taxes in January, when every American should know (Remember the Civics exam you took in High School) that taxes are post marked by the 31st of January.

"...no security companies are unionized or have internal affairs like law enfoircement does..."

You make that sound like a bad thing. Personally I despise what unions have become and really have no desire to be a member of one regardless of where I work. The only reason they "care" about you is if it deals with your pay because if you get paid more, so do they. Generally corrupt, unions have no reasonable application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

"...receive a pension at least for working for the state and I did not have to contribute to it. I doubt too many people with the economy and the stock market being so volatile are going to invest..." - "...I doubt can save much if any money from our small checks with the cost of gas, housing, food, etc...."

While it is nice you have a no cost pension (in my book, nothing more than Theft from the Tax Payers backs') as long as you budget properly, everyone should be able to invest, and now is a perfect time. I contribute 10% of my Gross income to the company 401(k) each pay period with the accompanying match from GM. This should be everyone's first priority in a down market since values are going to rebound in the future. Cost of living has not gone up so far that we should fear for our investments and daily living. And no, I am not an upper management personnel. I am a Site Supervisor. I do not get a salary or receive bonuses.

Unappreciated, it is starting to look like you are interested in nothing more than ridiculing Guardsmark at all costs, even if there are counter-examples to everything you say. Believe me, by now we all know you "had it bad", but that was just you and a handful of others. No one at my site has had an issue that couldn't be/wasn't resolved within 60 calendar days. I don't care where you worked before, that is a hell of a good clearance rate in any industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

The long and short of it is this: all companies have bad employees. Maye you ran in to more than your fair share, but in the end Guardsmark is one of the highest performing ad client satisfying Security Companies on the market. Their retention rate is either the first or second highest depending who reads the numbers, and they tend to promote from within. All of this makes it a solid, and honest company to work for. So you had a bad experience? Sweet, you said your piece, now move on. At this point continually harping on the company is just starting to look like you are demonizing them for your own purpose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

this is then last comment I am going to make on this site since it appears that you have singled me out yet most people on this site are saying the same things I am about this company. Oh by the wa in closing anyone can work for the state, county or federal government if they have the credentials which I possessed and I paid taxs just like you do I resent you or anyone else thinking that a state employee gets a free ride. If you want to invest in 40k with the economy in the condition it is in that is your decision. You have no idea how difficult and job was and the pressure I was under in that possition. Also you dont know the dependants I have to support including an elderly mother in a nursing home and a disabled child. I am glad Guardsmark has worked for you but keep in mind that your site or office may and no doubt is nothing like the one in Tampa, also I repeatly asked you not to restate my comments or take them out of context,good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

"this is then last comment I am going to make on this site since it appears that you have singled me out yet most people on this site are saying the same things I am about this company"

You are the only one saying them currently. Not singling you out, you are just the sole, active decenter.

"Oh by the wa in closing anyone can work for the state, county or federal government if they have the credentials..."
"...I resent you or anyone else thinking that a state employee gets a free ride...."
"You have no idea how difficult and job was and the pressure I was under in that possition."

I'm sorry, but you won't receive any sympathy from me. I served in the United States Army. In that job there is no such thing as an easy day when you are called on. I have many family members and friends who work in DOC in Illinois, and when they tell me about their rough days, I just laugh because I have seen much worse.

"...also I repeatly asked you not to restate my comments or take them out of context,good luck to you."

You never did any such thing. Look at your pervious posts. If you had, I would have stopped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Blink Doris in detroit, Michigan

77 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Guardsmark?

They have a non-compete that will ruin you. There are better companies out there that don't have non-competes (actually Guardsmark is the only non-compete for the security officers).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Blink Doris in detroit, Michigan said: They have a non-compete that will ruin you. There are better companies out there that don't have non-competes (actually Guardsmark is the only non-compete for the security officers).

Guardsmark is the only non-compete there in Detroit, Michigan? Every company in Normal, Illinois has one. It can be pretty bothersome, but I don't mind.

Thanks for the info, fun to know stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

steve60062 in Northbrook, Illinois

76 months ago

unappreciated ex employee in Tampa, Florida said: wow you sure are not talking about the same company or branch I worked for. When I was the site supervisor I had contacted the memphis office to get some information and I was advised that I was not to contact the memphis office again also I know of another employee who called in january about getting her tax information and she advised me they were very rude to her. Lets face it no security companies are unionized or have internal affairs like law enfoircement does so I believe that is one of the reasons in general people that are younger and want a job with benefits they are not going to stick with a security position in general. I receive a pension at least for working for the state and I did not have to contribute to it. I doubt too many people with the economy and the stock market being so volatile are going to invest and none of us in security except the upper managers who not only get a salary but receive bonuses I doubt can save much if any money from our small checks with the cost of gas, housing, food, etc. I feel this is one of the reasons people go in security since either they have other income like myself and security unlike other jobs doesnt discriminate on you agewise even though other employment is not suppose to do so but lets face it everyone knows that is not reality.

You sir, are completely WRONG! None of your posts are educated, informed, or proper. You can not have 2 jobs and yet have such glorious gleaming accomandations to change post orders, dictate policy at the site, change the rules to your favor or any of the insane posts you have made. I have worked in Security for over 15 years, and I can tell you many of the jobs I was at were in fact union, one did have an IAD office and many do take an active and concerned view of their employees. When a company is as large as G/M, it can be too big in some areas, but that does not make the whole company out 2 bad. Think a lil.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Let's just kill this thread here by stating this fact of nature and of the job market.

All companies suck, and all companies are great. It all depends on who you ask and where it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

dont really know why I am bothering to respond to any of you but- first of all I was not let go by the state I voluntarily retired. Second of all I admit I am not much of a typer since I had a high ranking job with the state and had secretaries to do that type of work. Dont judge a book by its cover. Third of all I never changed the post orders at the site I was in charge of I have repeatly stated that the vendor who is not with guardsmark or a security oriented person changed the procedures and downgraded the policies at the site yet his own assistant told me that someone prior to my being in charge pretended to to a phone respairman and was not one. If someone has those type of security issues going on at a sensitive site if anything you should have more restrictions at the site. Yes I am concerned about supporting my family but I got another job in a week later but other people in the Tampa bay area have told me they could not leave. I am glad that guardsmark has worked for you but you dont know me and have no idea how hard I worked for this company. Was I appreciated for all of my efforts, no. If you have been by this company I think that is great but Again I repeat others have complained about this company and even one person said they might even go work for Mcdonalds then to work for this company so look at the other comments. I have moved on. I have a wonderful boss now who sees my potential. I never missed a day anytime I wored at Guardsmark and worked 8 different posts but until the end of January of 2009, I never even had a set schedule and never knew what my pay check would look like. There was times I had as little as 16 hours a week. By the way to close I am not a male and at 33 years old I dont know too many people who have had the responsibilities of running a correctional center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

well, in any light, you were there 4 months. No one will listen to anyone, regardless of previous experience, with only 4 months under their belt. And with that rap-sheet of a resume, running a jail, taking a lowly officer job seems beneath you. It would be to me. Why not aim higher, looking out for better gigs with your cred?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

it is not beneath me to be a security officer. I was injured as a correctional officer and am able to work but my physician does not want me to work anything to stressful and I can only make as much as I want until the end of june of this year then I have to cut back to 980 gross a month or I lose my disability. I did not work in a jail but I did deal with alot of offenders who had extensive drug and alochol problems so their erractic behavior was not predictable and as a probation officer for 7 years in florida according to statue 948.06 I had the right to arrest anyone under my supervision who violated their probation or community control. Once I am 66 years old and go on regular social security then I can make as much as I want and if I want to pursue something more in line with my credentials. It is not behind me to work in security as my skills are in this area and I just quit a job with publix and I was just a bagger but we are in the process of obtaining the guardanship of my mother who has alheimers and coronary heart problems and I need a job where I have a boss who is flexible and will let me pursue these family issues which I know have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Not a fan2 in Atlanta, Georgia

75 months ago

Here is a link to news about them paying a $110,000 fine in NY for illegal employment practices, some of the same things people are saying happened to them in this forum.

www.oag.state.ny.us/media_center/2009/feb/feb12a_09.html

Check with the State Attorney General's office in your State to see if they are filing suit against them also. Maybe some money to be made in a class action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.