HCPro News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does HCPro stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

John in Lowell, Massachusetts

87 months ago

I don't understand what HCPro is up to. For at least the last five years, if not much longer, this company has continually advertised for the same editorial positions. Every two weeks, year after year, they advertise for the exact same editor or reporting position.

I have sent them about six resumes for jobs I am well qualified for, with never a reply.

I have also called them and received nothing but the rudest response.

I have a suggestion for everyone.

Do not send them a resume. They never hire anyone.

So here is my question.

Why do they advertise for employees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Waltham, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Good to know that I'm not the only one who has been "snubbed" by this firm. I am highly qualified for the editor and writer/reporter positions they constantly advertise, but have received a reply only once; it was a form letter saying that my "resume will be kept on file."

John in Lowell, Massachusetts said: I don't understand what HCPro is up to. For at least the last five years, if not much longer, this company has continually advertised for the same editorial positions. Every two weeks, year after year, they advertise for the exact same editor or reporting position.

I have sent them about six resumes for jobs I am well qualified for, with never a reply.

I have also called them and received nothing but the rudest response.

I have a suggestion for everyone.

Do not send them a resume. They never hire anyone.

So here is my question.

Why do they advertise for employees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Boston, Massachusetts

87 months ago

They do hire. I worked there several years ago (not as an editor). They have many editors so they probably do have openings or they may post to have resumes on file for future openings. I don't recommend it as a a place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous, New York in Marblehead, Massachusetts

87 months ago

Yes, they do indeed hire. I worked there for 3 and half years years and left because my fiance was moving to NYC. It's an intense work environment, but the people are great. I still have friends there that I stay in touch with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous, Boston Massachusetts in Marblehead, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does HCPro stack up against the competition?

I have been an employee at HCPro for over 4 years now and the company has grown from about 150 to almost 300 employees in the last 4 years. They have hired many editors and continue to do so and I do not see any reason that lay offs would be on the horizon.

For Katy and John the expectations at HCPro are very high and they are looking for specific qualifications so maybe although you think you are qualified maybe you are not or possibly you are at a higher level then what is needed for certain positions. I also find it highly unlikely that anybody was rude this company is extremely customer focused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Lowell, Massachusetts

86 months ago

anonymous, Boston Massachusetts in Marblehead, Massachusetts said: I have been an employee at HCPro for over 4 years now and the company has grown from about 150 to almost 300 employees in the last 4 years. They have hired many editors and continue to do so and I do not see any reason that lay offs would be on the horizon.

For Katy and John the expectations at HCPro are very high and they are looking for specific qualifications so maybe although you think you are qualified maybe you are not or possibly you are at a higher level then what is needed for certain positions. I also find it highly unlikely that anybody was rude this company is extremely customer focused.

You are a liar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Waltham, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Thanks for all of the input, folks. I have 25 years of mass communication, writing, editing, journalistic interviewing and marketing communications experience. I've created, edited, designed, laid out and written numerous and copious newsletters and other publications, as well as written, directed and produced sophisticated videos/DVDs, written radio scripts, feature articles, PSAs and a lot more. I've even illustrated books. That's why I was puzzled to not have received an interview. But as was said, perhaps I was overqualified for the positions I was applying for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous, Boston Massachusetts in Marblehead, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Katy there is a lot of hiring going on now, it may be a good time to try and apply again, it couldn't hurt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Waltham, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Thanks, Anonymous. I'll give it another shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous777 in Boston, Massachusetts

82 months ago

John-consider yourself lucky! I worked for HCPro for a few years and it was a nightmare. They are a giant revolving door and typically only hire folks right out of college because they can get them on the cheap. The fact that you have 25 years of experience tells me that they won't want to pay you what you're worth. They'll never learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

RAC in Boston, Massachusetts

76 months ago

I've worked at HCPro for several years and I can tell you that anyone who complains like this person obviously did not have the skills to do the job. We do fire people. Not many, but if you're lazy -- as I suspect this person is -- you won't survive.

That being said, it is a very forgiving culture. People are given plenty of opportunities to succeed and plenty of training opps. I'm guessing this person is bitter because they just didn't have the right stuff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RAC in Boston, Massachusetts

76 months ago

Katy in Waltham, Massachusetts said: Thanks, Anonymous. I'll give it another shot.

Katy,
My guess too is that maybe they thought your salary range would be too high for the jobs you were applying for. Typically, the starting pays for HCPro editors is under $50K. We do hire for positions above that, but those are few and far between since we have a very stable management team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RAC in Boston, Massachusetts

76 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does HCPro stack up against the competition?

VERY stable. In fact, we are hiring for a lot of new positions in 2008.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RAC in Boston, Massachusetts

76 months ago

John in Lowell, Massachusetts said: You are a liar.

No doubt you weren't talented enough or driven enough to survive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey L in salem, New Hampshire

54 months ago

anonymous, Boston Massachusetts in Marblehead, Massachusetts said: I have been an employee at HCPro for over 4 years now and the company has grown from about 150 to almost 300 employees in the last 4 years. They have hired many editors and continue to do so and I do not see any reason that lay offs would be on the horizon.

For Katy and John the expectations at HCPro are very high and they are looking for specific qualifications so maybe although you think you are qualified maybe you are not or possibly you are at a higher level then what is needed for certain positions. I also find it highly unlikely that anybody was rude this company is extremely customer focused.

...unfortunately, yes, they are rude to people who are trying to apply for jobs. I had a similar experience. Their job applicants are not the customers...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Marblehead in Marblehead, Massachusetts

54 months ago

Lindsey L in salem, New Hampshire said: ...unfortunately, yes, they are rude to people who are trying to apply for jobs. I had a similar experience. Their job applicants are not the customers...

How exactly were they rude to you? I have applied for a job there and have had a very pleasant experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yesnomaybe in Boston, Massachusetts

49 months ago

RAC in Boston, Massachusetts said: No doubt you weren't talented enough or driven enough to survive.

No, she's not. Management there is incredibly rude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

yesnomaybe in Boston, Massachusetts

49 months ago

John in Lowell, Massachusetts said: I don't understand what HCPro is up to. For at least the last five years, if not much longer, this company has continually advertised for the same editorial positions. Every two weeks, year after year, they advertise for the exact same editor or reporting position.

I have sent them about six resumes for jobs I am well qualified for, with never a reply.

I have also called them and received nothing but the rudest response.

I have a suggestion for everyone.

Do not send them a resume. They never hire anyone.

So here is my question.

Why do they advertise for employees?

They are always advertising because it is such an unpleasant place to be. Fear, intimidation, "get it out now or be fired" is the attitude of management toward workers. People end up at HCpro because they desperately need a job or because they don't know what to do. No one likes working there and most hate management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.