How to get a job at HDR.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

Do you work at HDR? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

don't bother in West Millgrove, Ohio

116 months ago

Don't even bother applying if you live in Southern Illinois. The office down here constantly reposts the same job over and over just to get some 'contacts'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Washington, District of Columbia

116 months ago

don't bother said: Don't even bother applying if you live in Southern Illinois. The office down here constantly reposts the same job over and over just to get some 'contacts'.

It appears to be that way in Virginia as well. I check the status of my application and it constantly says "your application is under consideration". I called their hiring office and they just told me that they send emails as your application is being reviewed...right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

catcan in Tampa, Florida

115 months ago

Host said: Do you work at HDR? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
Any advice for someone trying to get in?

They pride themselves on their internal recruiting efforts but seem to be either overwhelmed or underqualified to review resumes of great candidates. A lot of great people fall through the cracks. I will tell you this, though, if you do not have your EI when you graduate or your PE you will not be considered. (period)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Hammond, Indiana

115 months ago

Again, the same job that was posted in dec, jan, feb, is now being reposted in march. Same control number. It's simply a joke to even think about sending off a resume at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xxx in San Diego, California

115 months ago

I agree with Anon. San Diego is no different. Same position being posted from past 4 months. It's a joke to even think about working at HDR. Try not to treat urself as Google :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in San Diego, California

115 months ago

Sounds like my own stories. The internal recruiter for HDR San Diego is a "ghost". You dont see him at all. No mails, no acknowledgement, no replies.
They kinda deal with staffing firms to strike a deal to find a workhorse who works for them 24 X 7 for peanut annual package.

Haqui in Omaha, Nebraska

114 months ago

The website link is a good way to apply, it shows that you know the industry and that you are not completely shooting in the blank. Be ready for when the call comes to be fully interviewed right away, there is pre-screening. Tailor your resume to the position advertise, positions advertise may be there longer because find great people is indeed very difficult now a days. This techniques work for any company by the way. If everything fails, try to get with a headhunter that has allready provided service to the company and make it in this way, I know no benefits, but hey, it gives you a chance to show your stuff. G' luck all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Camino in San Diego, California

114 months ago

Crazy setup and hyped culture. Be what you are ...dont be YAHOO or Microsoft.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Clint in Omaha, Nebraska

113 months ago

Agree that HDR never gets back to you. I've applied several times and over half the time never even get the form letter saying they're going with someone more qualified

Dorothy in San Diego, California

113 months ago

Here they go again. HDR San Diego needs GIS Analyst from past 2 years but have not been able to find from past 2 year ....what a bunch of losers

Lost in Jobhunt in Peoria, Arizona

112 months ago

I realized many people are on the same board... I applied at the website and even passed out my resume in the jobfair at my university... I heard nothing. Called the headquarter, they referred you back to the office where I applied. By the way, I have my EIT already... just need 4 years experience for PE... But they don't even bother to ask. I knew a person in the firm but it doesn't really help. The person was an intern for the firm before, they hired her because they have known her through the intern position. So, I'll say if you really want to work for them, go for the intern first. The firm will offer you a position without the need of reviewing resume... I know this is common but I thought it's the best way. As for me, I graduated and not considered for an intern position... sigh...

engineering in the heat in Phoenix, Arizona

112 months ago

Seems like most posters are recent graduates. I applied for a job 4 weeks ago. The job isn't in my location, but I'm willing to move. I interned at a public agency in school, worked for a firm for 9 years and went to work for an agency for the last few years.

One week after applying a recruiter called. Last week the recruiter requested a bunch of info too detailed to be on the resume. Next week I have an interview with a local manager, and tentatively a phone interview with a manager at another office. Sounds like there might be other opportunities as well.

There is a lot to be said for creating a good work history with quality references, and don't be afraid to move.

I may or may not take a position if it is offered. I've heard great things, but who knows if it really will be a fit - either way.

anon 2 in Sarasota, Florida

111 months ago

True, Applied for several positions, Never got a call. I have an advanced degree+EIT + enough experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Momkat in Omaha, Nebraska

110 months ago

I guess I wasn't really qualified for the job as I accidentally hit the submit key and got a "still looking" response even though I didn't submit all my information. I then forgot about it and sent them the full application and the HR person sent me a terse letter (not an e-mail) saying that I don't have the skills needed. She must think I'm a real space cadet, but it was kind of nice in this electronic age to get a personal letter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rachelcarter in Arab, Alabama

107 months ago

Let me know if I can assist any of you in anyway. Yes, I am a recruiter who specializes in engineering. If I can help you even just by making sure your resume is presentable, I'd be more than happy to. I assist engineering consulting firms of all sizes in helping them find the right talent they are looking for. No...I do not interact with Human Resources I speak directly to the hiring managers only. I'm not going to waste your time or my own.

My only request...please don't contact me if you are not seriously looking for the right "genuine" opportunity and I don't mean just by fitting the responsiblities or looking for better pay. I try to place individuals into the right fit the first time for a longterm opportunity.

Remember each Client/Candidate is different and unique in there own way. Sometimes there are great genuine matches all around and sometimes there are not. Nothing is ever guaranteed!

RCarter@LeadingEngineers.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.