Hertz-Interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Tim in Milledgeville, Illinois

88 months ago

ANYBODY can make 30K.... This is the computer room! I have no degree and I make 43K. Did I mention I am in my fifties? What the bozos want is max education and max experience for beginner money. One must take care as the boss is a wolf. Cheats you but does not miss a chance to better themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

Actually you are wrong...A person can make 30,000 without a degree. I was making that much working at Sprint before i left and that is without a degree. I left to better my career and make more money now that i have a masters. So Chris get your head out of your ass and come back to reality. Obviously hertz wants the best to help them make money but does not want to pay for the experience nor the education that the applicant brings to the table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

Tim i couldn't agree more...Needless to say i turned the offer down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Well...36,000 is not bad. I decided that I would not settle for anything less then 35,000. I was applying for Manager Trainee position. There was a hourly pay of like 10 to 11.50 an hour then the rest was commissions. I said no thanks of course. Now I have a much better job as the Secretary to a Senior Pastor...which pay just as much if I were a secretary to a ceo or President of a corporation. I start on the 11th. I just had to wait on a good job. It was hard though with bills. But, it paid off. I went to so many interviews, and turned down jobs til I found what I wanted and a company that will pay me good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Akron, Ohio

86 months ago

Chris in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania said: Nobody makes 30,000 a year without a college degree you should get your head ot of your ass

Thats funny I have two degrees but most of my friends with out them make more than i do and they make more than 30,000 a year.

Keitha in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

What do we need to chat about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dwashingtoncpr4@aol.com

85 months ago

how about Hertz??? your imput because my employment there is horrible

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

Well if your employment there is horrible why are you still there. For me I knew to find another job just by the rudeness of the manager highering and because they lied about the position title and pay. what is your situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dwashingtoncpr4@aol.com

85 months ago

guess what i am not still there as of yesterday, and you ar right about how they lie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

WOW! Well I hope you find something soon. Something that you will like and enjoy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Jefferson, Maryland

85 months ago

Keitha in Houston, Texas said: Well...36,000 is not bad. I decided that I would not settle for anything less then 35,000. I was applying for Manager Trainee position. There was a hourly pay of like 10 to 11.50 an hour then the rest was commissions. I said no thanks of course. Now I have a much better job as the Secretary to a Senior Pastor...which pay just as much if I were a secretary to a ceo or President of a corporation. I start on the 11th. I just had to wait on a good job. It was hard though with bills. But, it paid off. I went to so many interviews, and turned down jobs til I found what I wanted and a company that will pay me good.

The problem with that approach is your future. You might make more money now but what doors does being a secretary for a Pastor open? I am not trying to be mean, but sometimes you have to look at what room for growth a company/position offers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

Steve there is some truth to your comment. However, there are several opportunities for growth available to me. I work for First United Methodist. If anyone is familiar with First United Methodist (FUM) they understand that although it is a church it operates like a corporation. If I desire for more doors to open I might have to move outside of Texas and work for First United Methodist Global Ministries. Alot of those positions require you move to New York (or some other part of the world).

I have degrees and skills to help me step right in, but like anywhere sometimes you have to start at the bottom and then work your way up. Available positions for FUM Global would include Coordinator of Information Systems, Director of Funds Development,Records Clerk II, and, Accountants, just to name a few.

Trust me, I agree like you that you have to see what a company has to offer, and I did check them (FUM)out. And I keep an open eye to what is going on in First United Methodist Globally and watch for
openings of positions that interest me. I work for them now and have done alot of networking since I have been here. In a year or so steping Into FUM Global will not be difficult. Evenmore, it will be a job that I enjoy and look forward waking up to every morning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Jefferson, Maryland

85 months ago

In that case great job finding a great for you. Hopefully it leads to a nice future for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Alexandria, Virginia

85 months ago

The pay range you all are talking about are unreal to me. I have 20+ years in field service working on IT equipment or Healthcare equipment and make 67k per year with nothing but a High school diploma.

Keitha in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

I see...so your experience makes up for not having a degree. But am I sure when you started 20 years ago you were not making 67k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Bowie, Maryland

84 months ago

I was interested in talking to Hertz about a management trainee position mainly for the experience. But I can't do it if all they are willing to pay is 30,000. I currently make 34,000 (42,000 with bonus) and I am right out of college.

Is that 30 grand they offer standard, or does where you work make a difference? Not saying 30 is a lot anywhere, but it is next to nothing living in the DC/Baltimore metro area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

The 30 grand is standard. But, you can increase it by meeting monthly quota. You would need to find out what their commission package is like. I was told during the interview but I don't remember.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Evan in League City, Texas

84 months ago

I think it stinks that a church can offer more money than company whose stated goal is profit. Unless, of course, that is the goal of the church as well. Maybe it is the church's tax exempt status that allows it that sort of fiscal flexibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Keitha in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

Well, I understand your point, but with the church I work for it is not the case. For the most part wealthy people who died left their money as an inheritance to the church to be used in certain areas (years and years ago) In addition, they do alot of fundraising here and investing. They invest, mostly in property, and in some cases they opperate off the interest they bring in. In about 6 months they should be out of debt and have a stronger financial structure. I just consider myself blessed to work here, and I am very happy. I dont want you to think they are paying me what I am worth. They are not, but it isnt bad compared to other non-profit organizations I work for, and well, I like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeM in Schaumburg, Illinois

32 months ago

Im Sorry but how are you guys getting 30k a year? I also heard back from hertz and am going in for in interview. One i know i will reject and tell them that i made that much at sams club when i was 18. But all of you guys math is off. The way it was broken down to me is 10.75 an hour with most def overtime in the beginning. So your looking at a min of 21k a year. Than they throw in the "bonus" which is anywhere from 250-1k a quarter. So now were talking 22k-25k. Still no where near 30k. I pressed the lady on the phone and was told that branch managers make around 30k a year. This is what they are telling you that you will be making but its what you are aiming at making. And they sweeten the deal with a free company car so they say your making really like 40k..... Either way i will go in tomorrow and shoot the offer down. I make 18-22 an hour painting houses. I dont' like the work but i am very good at manaual labor. Only problem is that its so cut throat right now that every one is doing work for so cheap there is almost no point in picking up a brush. Wish i would of stayed in trade school instead of wondering into a BA that hasn't gotten me anything other than 10 dollar an hour job offers and lousy future outlook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Max in Mastic, New York

31 months ago

Thank you everyone for your comments about Hertz. I have an interview with Hertz for the management training program tomorrow, and your comments helped me to understand what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marshuna06 in Oak Lawn, Illinois

31 months ago

I had an interview with Hertz a few days ago and am hoping to land the job. I have a Bachelors degree but still unemployed. I took all of your input into consideration but with the current job market taking a job with Hertz seems perfect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

formerhertzmgr in Panama City Beach, Florida

27 months ago

I've been a Hertz manager for 6 years and can only state what I've learned from experience. The hours and the stress can be challenging but the company car and gas is a big plus. However, the Hertz culture in its management is not cut out for everyone. If you're a person of integrity and want things done the right and fair way and would like an environment where you could speak out if you see something wrong, then Hertz management is not for you. To last and grow with Hertz management you must be a "Yes-man" and lack integrity. Sadly, it is the only way you'll fit into the Hertz management culture. Hertz management does not like the boat rocked. It is not open to criticism. If you just do what you're told, whether you like it or not, whether it's fair or not, or even whether it's legal or not, and keep your mouth shut, you'll do fine. If you speak out, prepare for harsh retaliation. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Glynn Price in Duncanville, Texas

25 months ago

I actually work for hertz as a MT. It is not worth it. I was just a fresh college graduate and needed a job and they called. But I am looking for anything else because this is a rip off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

lady in red in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

10 months ago

I had an interview at Hertz on Friday and it was one of the worst interview experiences I have ever had. I walked in and was poorly greeted. The customer service representative was sitting behind the counter (her white iPhone in plain sight) with a disgruntled look on her face, while on the store's phone with a customer. After she was done with that customer, instead of greeting me, answered another call. I was actually ten minutes early in this ugly colored garage room and ten minutes later she finally said "Hello are you here to have a meeting with the manager?" I said "yes," Then a customer barges into the store and she goes back to ignoring me. I watched the interaction between the customer service representative and the actual customer and it seemed so phony and awkward that I just felt right then and there that I didn't belong here. Another ten minutes later, she gets this car for the customer and comes back inside to continue ignoring me. I tried joking by saying "Haha the manager might be late or something!" The lady just responded "No I texted her, she's upstairs." I asked where the bathroom was and when I got back the manager was waiting for me.
We went through several creepy doors and up several grungy stairs to finally her kitchen-tiled office.
Once she finally got it together, she told me to explain my resume. I went through the two opportunities I had since college and she seemed unimpressed. Then she told me that she will ask me a series of questions that have to do with customer service and sales skills. In my head, I was like "Okay, I got this, no problem." She got the paper back out and started reading the questions off of the paper to me. The first two questions were easy to answer but it quickly became a nightmare. I couldn't understand half of the rest of the questions and I ended getting ushered out without a proper handshake. I got a quick notice that I would not be accepted. I don't want to work with people that belittle.

car rental guy in Methuen, Massachusetts

9 months ago

I have been in the car rental business for just over a decade now and would like to share my experiences. I have worked for many different companies and in many different positions. I have worked in what we in the biz call local market, and also airport operations. The car rental business is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for anyone. Regardless of your past- coming out of college, working in a different business, or just in need of a job. You will have a great opportunity to shape your mind in the world of car rental. To the person with the response that they did not like the facility and the interaction with the customer service rep. after what they witnessed and how they were greeted- You (in my humble opinion) missed a great opportunity for improvement. As you stated- you were waiting for (I assume) a management training or management position. You stated the interaction with the customer service rep was basically fake and then immediately your interview revolved around customer service. Did you ever think that the manager that interviewed you was searching for someone that wanted to join her in the challenge to turn that experience that you had with the customer service rep. around? It seems to me by your statement alone, that she was very aware of the problems she had and she wanted that person that is less about what's in it for me, and more about what you can do for the company and her, to make a difference in her company. One thing I will say about about car rental, and you are all right as far as the pay! The pay is lousy when it starts out. BUT! If you can dig in, get your hands dirty, and find creative ways to work toward your goals while working within the gray area of a companies standard operating procedure, YOU ARE THE ONE that can go on and earn a VERY NICE living in the world of car rental. Not to mention the fact that you (as a member of management) will never have to worry about a car note, gas, and insurance ever again! A very nice little perk I will say!

car rental guy in Methuen, Massachusetts

9 months ago

Second part of my post.
The car rental business is full of many different areas revolving around everything including: legal compliance, customer service, insurance liability, sales, marketing, company procedure, human resources, logistics, accounting, big business, small business, p&l responsibility, cost containment, growth prospecting, networking, all while cleaning cars for the most important aspect of the business- THE CUSTOMER! If you want to sit on your butt in an office- there is a position for you, if you want to be running and never feel like you are stuck in an office- there are MANY positions for you. If you want to go back and forth from office work to having the freedom to get out and about- There are MANY positions for you. If you get board while working and want to go back to school and learn a new trade- there is STILL room for you within your company. If you have a high school diploma and are a hard worker or if you have a masters degree and like to push a pencil - there is a spot for each of you in which you can earn a great living. If you have a high school diploma and are willing to work your butt off - you can become an executive! If you have a masters and want that position where you are not stuck pushing a pencil all day-- well! welcome to the world of car rental. It has it all to offer anyone that wants to feel challenged everyday. If you want a cushy job and try to do as little as possible- I am sorry- We don't want you. I have been in management and cleaned toilets for my location then two hours later sat in a meeting with executive level management discussing new breaking edge technologies and how we can apply them. There are no ivory towers in the car rental business and if you feel you are worthy of that (regardless of a masters or a high school diploma) chances are you are looking at 40 grand a year. If you are willing to get your hands dirty, dig in (regardless of a high school diploma or a masters) there is a nice life 4U!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Erich Aseltine in Lake View Terrace, California

5 months ago

There may be good future potential as you have posted.

I have had three job interviews with Hertz within the past year for a Branch Manager Trainee, and have talked to a couple recruiters. The hourly wage and guaranteed hours is declining with every interview.

The Interview around 7 months ago the Regional Branch Manager stated to me that the pay for a Branch Manager Trainee of the job she had to offer started at $12.00 per hour w/ 50 hours guaranteed per week and great bonuses.

A recruiter from Northern California 2 month ago over the phone told me the job started at $12.00 per hour + Bonuses.

The last interview I had a couple of days ago the Regional Branch Manager stated that the job he had to offer started at $10.00 per hour w/ 40-45 weeks, and that "he would say" that the average Branch Manager Trainee makes $1,000 per month in Bonuses. That branch was 25 miles away from my home.

The Truth is that the OPTIMISTIC GOAL of Hertz is for a Branch Trainee to make $9,000 per year in bonuses if one figures the $12.00 per rate at 50 hours per week to come up with the $40,000 per year figure they advertise. My gut tells me that for me the pay of $10.00 per hour really equates to $23,000 per year with the bonuses minus $2,500 just for the price of gas for transportation to and from work = $20,000.

It is true that there may be potential in the car rental industry. Though, with the idea of the minimum wage going up to $10.10 per hour, and the lowering of cost of Medical Insurance the pay of a beginning Hertz Branch Manager Trainee is worse, (considering the cost of gas), than working full time for a local pet store owner selling tropical fish and aquariums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Tempe, Arizona

2 months ago

So I am currently looking at joining the rental car industry but I am hearing some horror stories about damn near every company that is hiring. I even found lawsuits pending against these companies for unfair treatment to their workers. I get that most rental car jobs must suck, but I have heard some crazy stuff! Crap like off-the-clock work, unpaid overtime, no lunches or breaks? This is asinine if these companies get away with stuff like that. Can anyone vouch for this? Legal measures should be taken!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.