Applying at Home Depot is a complete waste of time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 150)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

dcw in Gastonia, North Carolina

39 months ago

Zac in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I've only been working at Home Depot for the better part of 2 years now, but out of all of the jobs that I have held, it is the best, hands down. Granted, the pay may not be outstanding - there may be some shady activity behind the scenes, all true. However, what people like you fail to realize is that complaining isn't going to get you success. Instead of putting effort into bashing a company, why not instead go find a job that actually wants to hire people who show an uncanny display of incompetence. I have been trained by people that have been with the company for over 15 years. It isn't that they don't have good benefits, it is that they are not given easily. You actually have to thrive, and work. It is a dog eat dog world. Again, I have only worked there for 2 years, but when I have something to say, I SAY IT. Nobody will do anything about it, because I BUST MY ASS at work. I work for my worth, granting me the respect - which is obviously what the savages who worked at your store, yourself included, lack.

I'm not sure who the "you" is that you are referring to. My co-workers and I were very competent at our jobs, in fact our managers recently earned all expense paid trips based on the goals met by the employees of our branch. We did not lose our jobs due to incompetence but because our jobs were moved to Atlanta, count yourself lucky on the retail side. It would be hard to man a store without the actual warm bodies so your jobs can't be outsourced like mine was.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Buttons in Des Moines, Iowa

39 months ago

I applied for HD about 2 years ago and didn't receive any calls back. Then I applied earlier this month and within about a week they sent me an email saying to call this number for a phone interview. So I did it around 8:00 pm CT and someone answered and did the 20 minute interview with about 10 customer service questions. Then she set up an interview at the store I'd be working at 5 days later. I did the interview, took about 20 minutes, was given paper work to go take a drug test, then it took a week to hear back that I passed everything. I was hired for the garden dept, and when I came in to do paper work, they said all associates are usually hired as temp or part-time, and that they are very accommodating to people's second jobs or schedules. They said that if I'm interested in a position that's different than my dept or if I want full time/I can put in a bid for a job that's posted on a job board by the time clock. I start orientation tomorrow. So far things are going well. I just know that it's nearly 2 weeks of being on a computer for training. I've heard a lot of good about this company, so these reviews have me a bit concerned. But I need a job and hope to advance with HD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Lorain, Ohio

39 months ago

Buttons in Des Moines, Iowa said: I applied for HD about 2 years ago and didn't receive any calls back. Then I applied earlier this month and within about a week they sent me an email saying to call this number for a phone interview. So I did it around 8:00 pm CT and someone answered and did the 20 minute interview with about 10 customer service questions. Then she set up an interview at the store I'd be working at 5 days later. I did the interview, took about 20 minutes, was given paper work to go take a drug test, then it took a week to hear back that I passed everything. I was hired for the garden dept, and when I came in to do paper work, they said all associates are usually hired as temp or part-time, and that they are very accommodating to people's second jobs or schedules. They said that if I'm interested in a position that's different than my dept or if I want full time/I can put in a bid for a job that's posted on a job board by the time clock. I start orientation tomorrow. So far things are going well. I just know that it's nearly 2 weeks of being on a computer for training. I've heard a lot of good about this company, so these reviews have me a bit concerned. But I need a job and hope to advance with HD.

Curious about a couple things...

Does every worker start in the garden section and bid into another position in the store? Was the garden department the only openings?

How far into the fall will the temporary work last? When you are laid off can you start work the following spring or do you have to go through the application and interview process all over again? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Berron Arcobaleno in Las Vegas, Nevada

39 months ago

CH in O Fallon, Missouri said: Home Depot does NOT have a football team!! FYI

What he Meant was HD Company CO-FOUNDER Arthur Blank, WIKI entry follows, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Blank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Will in Clarksville, Tennessee

39 months ago

what planet are you on? Stock price plumetting? Stock price was just @ 70.28 per share and just went down after a week steady. I am an Army Retiree who was ready to take just about anything to get integrated into civilian life, you may have been anticipating a supervisor or manager position right off the bat. Wrong Answer hero. You gotta start somewhere and you probably didn't want to. I applied 1 time, got interviewed, 1 time and came back for an orientation a week later. I am still with the company, but I did get the opportunity to become a department supervisor 1 year after hire and then had to relocate. But, after relocating in Nov 2011 I am now a supervisor again. There are opportunities there, may not be the money made in the military, but be willing to start somewhere instead of having an unrealistic expectation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Clarksville, Tennessee

39 months ago

Keith in Lorain, Ohio said: Curious about a couple things...

Does every worker start in the garden section and bid into another position in the store? Was the garden department the only openings?

How far into the fall will the temporary work last? When you are laid off can you start work the following spring or do you have to go through the application and interview process all over again? Thanks.

seasonal hire gets you work for high sale season and if you work hard enough or show interest in wanting to stay on, they WILL usually find a place for you. Garden and lumber are the high selling departments and that is why when seasonal hire is done, they fill quite a few of those positions. I work electrical and usually sales are not that high, so with sales it equals to positions,so we only get 2 full time and 1 part time. 100 hrs to be exact. when we record high sales then it opens up for another position, but sales have to be steady and have to at least be 10% above planned sales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Buttons in Des Moines, Iowa

39 months ago

Keith in Lorain, Ohio said: Curious about a couple things...

Yeah, they said that's the hiring time because the Garden dept. is like their version of Target and Walmart's Christmas. I have to sit at a computer for 2 weeks doing web training and what not. Temp is 120 days yet they kept telling me not to worry because most people stick around and get hired perm as part or full-time. I hope to move up in the company. Home Depot is a tough company to get in because they look for key things in the application/resume, once you're in, you're gold I guess. I've heard really good things about the company and you can health insur. as a part/full-timer, plus you can buy stock and 401k plan.

Lloyd Danner in Kansas City, Missouri

38 months ago

I interviewed for a position here and was offered a job, I accepted the position and did the drug test the same day but its been 3 weeks and I've called and left a message after every week and no one has returned any of my calls. I know I passed the drug test because I've never used drugs. I ended my job search once I accepted the position but now I'm starting to regret doing so. I have never seen 1. a hiring process that went on so long without any communication and 2. a complet lack of professionalism and respect for a potential employee. After the second week I asked to speak with the store manager, who's the person I actually interviewed with and offered me the job, but he just has the person who answers to ring me to HR. I understand it is their job to deal with new hires and get all of the paper work for me but they are obviously not doing so. I don't want to be a nuisance and hurt my chances with the company because as a student I really need this job but when the only communication I've had with them has been initiated by me and not reciprocated at all it is very upsetting. Is this normal for the company? Is this the kind of treatment I should expect as an employee? Also, all my calls have been very professional and so far I have not shown my frustration with the process but my patience as wearing thin.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jgarrett in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

Very similar situation. The interview and job offer happened quickly but I have waited almost three weeks for the results of the drug/background test. And like you I know that I am CLEAN. I called the 800 # to the interview center and they said 3 weeks is not unusual. Reading the posts I came accros a hiring mgr saying that one has to be a "pain in the ass" to get the process moving. That is unfortunate but it may be an only recourse.

michaelfroton in San Dimas, California

37 months ago

Kevin said: I went to a Veteran's Job Fair in which Home Depot had a rep there. I am US Army retired as a Logistics Supervisor with 25 yrs exp and I can't even get an interview so I went to the store and asked to speak to the Store Manager who informed me that he applied 18 times before he got an interview. No wonder the stock price is tumbling.....

I applied at 5:30 at night and got called for a phone interview the next morning & got a instore interview the next Tuesday waitng to here now.. Sounds like sour grapes to me

Florida USA in Florida

37 months ago

Professional Manager in Aurora, Colorado said: I recently attended a job fair and met Home Depot 's Human Resources Manager , (*name removed).

She said that she got hired by using keywords from Home Depot's job description in her resume, and posting it on monster.com. In other words -- she got VERY lucky to get noticed and hired.

Take it from me. I am an Air Force veteran with a Bachelor of Science in Business Management and more than 8 years of retail experience, and I can't even get an interview.

Very SAD what Home Depot does, My suggestion all Boycott them and go to Lowes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mdc76082 in Littleton, Colorado

36 months ago

Professional Manager in Aurora, Colorado said: I recently attended a job fair and met Home Depot 's Human Resources Manager , (*name removed).

She said that she got hired by using keywords from Home Depot's job description in her resume, and posting it on monster.com. In other words -- she got VERY lucky to get noticed and hired.

Take it from me. I am an Air Force veteran with a Bachelor of Science in Business Management and more than 8 years of retail experience, and I can't even get an interview.

That doesn't mean a thing, what you said about yourself. I am a vet, with over 22 years experience in the military, a BSBA w/a concentration in HRM, and I have gotten interviews all the time.

The HRM is correct. Certain key words are used in the title name of your resume when you post it online, can get your resume seen more times.

Also, the biggest point to landing a job---market yourself. What sets "you" above the rest in the group. A piss poor attitude, and always saying, "this job sucks...", isn't going to get you seen and heard. In an interview, you get one shot to do it right.

Change your attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mdc76082 in Littleton, Colorado

36 months ago

Gripe about every little detail, and when you don't get something, you blame the corporation instead of yourself. Welcome to the wonderful world of job hunting, hiring and good'ol fashion blood, sweat and tears. It's called WORK. Getting a job is not like Burger King, sometimes, most of the time, you don't get to get it YOUR WAY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Connor T in Goleta, California

34 months ago

As someone who started as a Lot Attendant (the absolute bottom of the HD totem pole) and who worked his way up to Cashier, then Head Cashier, went out to the floor in Paint, then got promoted to DS in just over a year, I can promise that advancement is possible. I put in crazy hours and worked my ass off (and still do) but I earned my promotions. Now, admittedly, I work in a store with higher attrition than most, so advancement was easier, but I beat out a number of people who had been there longer for both the Head Cashier and DS position because I worked for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chasityc79 in Bronx, New York

33 months ago

I went to a instore interview monday and accepted the offer I did my drug test and background how long does it take for The call back ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Clark, New Jersey

27 months ago

I'm currently working for HD now doing garden recovery and i have to say it's not the best but it's a job. I believe the pay should be more than 10.00/hr personally speaking because I work the night shift 10pm-6am and their should be a night shift differential pay but it's not. On weekends it seems like they change their closing hours on a whim and don't communicate because I noticed few a ppl came in during their 2am-6pm shift just to find the store was close when they could of been told to come in earlier to get their hours. Lastly, I was told if I wanted to get licensed for the forklift, I told them "sure". Then I asked "will I get a bump in my pay for operating the forklift"? I was told "no".smh...but I will take advantage of the opportunity because I'm pretty sure their are other jobs that offer way better pay than 10/hr to operate a forklift. If your spouse is making great money and your just a stay-at home body then HD is ok career but if your spouse is not or your just single it should just be a temporary job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

billyo in Columbus, Indiana

22 months ago

These posts are somewhat irrelevant at over 8 years old! Come on....update your posts

sissy in Lady Lake, Florida

20 months ago

I have been applying to the company for a few years and doing follow up contacts to no avail .today they call with offer for PT customer service position I did the screening call, so how long does it usually take for interview ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John T in Hopatcong, New Jersey

20 months ago

You must work for the company. That is a BS story. There is no way they hire that way.

Twomp$ in San Leandro, California

18 months ago

Hell I applied a week ago I GOT a interview on Tuesday lol

fjgen in Mooresville, North Carolina

17 months ago

Well here's my story about Home Depot, back in 2012 I was called for an interview for LP, when I arrived at the store for the interview no one knew anything about an interview, the person who conducts the interviews was not even in the store. When they called her she said she never authorized HR to call anyone for an interview, yet I got the call. She apologized and set me up for an interview in another district. I went for the interview when I was called and was told by the district manager that i had been hired. Three days later he called me back to ask me to come into the store so the HR person could give me the paperwork for my background check, when I got to the store he apologized and told me the person from HR had left for the day and could I come in on Tuesday to get the paperwork, I did just that. the Friday before i was scheduled for orientation I received a call from the store that HR had forgot to give me the paperwork for my drug test and that I had to come in immediately to get it because I was scheduled for orientation the next day and I could not attend unless this was done. I ran to the store and when I arrived no one there knew what I was talking about, not even the HR person. So I tried calling the LP district manger but he did not return my calls. needless to say I could not attend orientation and I never received a call back from anyone no matter how many times I called to find out what was going on. so I went to work for Lowe's and believe me I am much better off for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gtothalo in Shelby, North Carolina

14 months ago

I remember applying for the home depot, i didn't get a response for months. I mean i had forgotten how long it had been since i applied. I only lasted 6 months. I wish i never woulda got that call!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bryan in Casper, Wyoming

11 months ago

JB in New Orleans in Marrero, Louisiana said: First off, I can tell everyone that HD doesn't bother advertising for jobs that don't exist.

UNTRUE. I applied for an assistant store manager position in my local store from an ad online. The next day I called the store manager and asked if he had time to meet with me and discuss the duties of the position I had applied for. He told me the position was not vacant and that HD was conducting a "talent search" to determine if the position was available, how much interest there would be in position in this area. I know the manager, he wasn't lying to me.

Priess82 in Toronto, Ontario

8 months ago

"Couldn't find a bleeding elephant in a snowbank" Lol, I've got to use that one!

IHurst in Manassas, Virginia

8 months ago

I applied multiple times to home depot. I only got an email saying I wasn't going to get an interview. Maybe it's because I'm a combat veteran with a college degree. They don't want anyone who might outsmart them and take their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Smiley in Virginia Beach, Virginia

8 months ago

About 2 weeks ago I applied for a cashier position at The Home Depot, four days later i received an e-mail stating that the would be calling me in a few days to let me know more information & such about the position. Two days ago I got a phone call but didn't answer (I personally thought it was rude and unprofessional to call someone on a Sunday at 5/6PM) so I ended up calling back the next day an instantly had an interview. I passed with flying colors and the kind woman on the phone wished me the best of luck stating, "she had NO worries" & frankly, neither did I. Not to gloat, but I know retail like the back of my hand & I actually enjoy working with guests that enter the store! So she set me up for a face-to-face interview with a manager. Today, I went in for that interview. I arrived 15 minutes early & as I approached the entrance a very kind man stopped to ask me my name. He said, "you look like an ____! Are you here for an interview?!" I kindly nodded my head and he told me three people including himself would be interviewing me. He was outside helping a guest, so I made my way into the store and waited at the return counter. That same man came back inside and walked me to the back of the store. On the way back there he told me he was starving and was about to take his lunch break and would be able to interview me then, he said sorry that he wasn't able to and I kindly replied, "that's perfectly fine, if you're hungry then eat! That's important!" So I finally reached the little room all the way in the back of the store where another "specialty manager" interviewed me. I felt so confident that I passed but he didnt seem interested AT ALL. His phone was ringing off the hook and people were coming in and out for "scan guns" so it was a little annoying on my end because I felt as if I wasn't given undivided attention. Anyway, he ended up telling me, "we'll call you if you get the position, we have other candidates to interview."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

So that was a big slap in the face. I had handed him my resume & qualifications letter in the before the interview even started. I ended up leaving and still smiling the whole way out, knowing that I did an amazing job & they would be missing out. As i walked out another man approached me and wished me luck on getting the job. There's no doubt that the people are very friendly. Except the interviewer, of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Ahhh I'm tired my grammar sucks, i'm sorry haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BillST in San Jose, California

8 months ago

"As a new college student I applied at HD hoping to get a better paying job than the one I had. As a girl in a hardware store it was rough.On top of having customers doubt you because you're a girl..."

It is interesting that you think the reason why customers doubted you was 'because you were a girl' and not because it was obvious to the customer that you were a young college age person who never worked in construction/the trades. What could you possibly know?

Being a victim is much more satisfying than owning up to your lack of experience/knowledge. Nothing in your history prepared you to be knowledgeable about construction or home improvement other than a brief amount of time ringing up construction supplies. You were a failure on the floor because you lacked the experience and knowledge required to be there.

I'd love to hear your reasons why you've been a failure in the time since you were employed by Home Depot.

That happens whether you're male or female. Man up and get that chip off of your shoulder, Nancy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Carrollton, Georgia

7 months ago

Twomp$ in San Leandro, California said: Hell I applied a week ago I GOT a interview on Tuesday lol

how did you get an interview?

Daniel in Rockville, Maryland

4 months ago

koie in Yukon, Oklahoma said: people that shop there usually find what they want to buy by themselves anyway.

That's just wishful thinking.

Kim m in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

jeremy collins in Chicago, Illinois said: i like that

Are you kidding me? If an employee sees somebody stealing, what are they suppose to do?

Kim m in Los Angeles, California

4 months ago

PIRATE42 said: HMMMMMM----ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS FOR HAVING A SUCESSFUL CAREER IN CORP. RETAIL IS A POSITIVE ATTITUDE-I THINK SOME OF YOU NEED A REALITY CHECK--I'VE APPLIED TWICE WITH HD-I WILL AGREE THE 1ST TIME WAS STRESSFUL HAD TO TRAVEL AND WAS INTERVIEWED BY SOMEBODY WHO COULD CARE LESS(AS A PRO.RETAIL MANAGER I DIDN'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY)BUT I DID HEAR BACK WITHIN A WEEK AND WAS OFFERED A POSITION-FOR PERSONAL REASONS I TURNED IT DOWN HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HD.
THE 2ND TIME WITHIN A WEEK OF APPLYING ON LINE AT HD WAS CALLED FOR AN INTERVIEW,THE FOLLOWING WEEK WAS CALLED BACK TO MEET WTH THE SM OFFERED A POSTION AND AFTER PASSING A DRUG/BACKGROUND AND HAVING TO PRODUCE SEVERAL FORMS OF PROOF TO BEING A US CITIZEN WAS OFFERED A GREAT POSTION AT TRIPLE THE MIN.WAGE NOT SALARY BUT PER HR AND NEVER BEEN MORE HAPPY--ALL MAJOR RETAILERS ADVERTISE FOR POSITIONS THAT ARN'T AVAILABLE--IT'S ALL IN THE TIMING------

Why are you yelling?

lol.. in Port Chester, New York

2 months ago

Reading the comments, I find this ridiculous. First of all, YOUR specific Home Depot does not speak for over 2,200 stores in the United States. Secondly, the way people are speaking here as if Home Depot is required to hire them or else. The fact that you think you're the ONLY person with a Master's degree and years of experience shows how self-centered and silly you are. Maybe someone was actually MORE qualified than you. Even if they weren't more qualified than you, why would a retail store hire you? They aren't looking for someone with YOUR demands of high pay. There is a system for a reason. People with Master's degree typically apply for jobs that relate to their actual degree. I applied for Home Depot a week ago and received a call a few days ago. I went through the interview process, everyone got along with me fairly well, and I took my background/drug test on the spot. Will I get the job? Maybe, maybe not.. but I'm not going to come here and complain about how they didn't choose me and boast about my experience and say stuff like "Oh, I left the store, smiling & knowing that they will be missing out on a great person." Oh please! Get your head out of your a%^!

Mrs-B in Orange County, California

2 months ago

Amber L. in Winchendon, Massachusetts said: $8.50 to start, raise in 1 year, no benefits, only part-time work with varied hours. Good luck.

Start off at $11.00 an hour with all kinds of benefits. Why are you lying Amber?

2 months ago

Cindy in Carrollton, Georgia said: how did you get an interview?

Got a call 5 days later, and now I am an employee at HD. GOOD MONEY GREAT BENEFITS!!

2 months ago

GH in Stockton, California said: Hate to tell you Jean Luc but you've described just about every job in America! LOL!

Employees in my store have worked there from 7 years to 22 years. What are you talking about. The girl I work with has been there 19 years. You all are angry liars.

2 months ago

Mrs-B in Orange County, California said: Got a call 5 days later, and now I am an employee at HD. GOOD MONEY GREAT BENEFITS!!

Just applied online....

2 months ago

I applied online on the Home Depot site.

John in Denver, Colorado

1 month ago

HRDude in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Glad I read you post. I applied as well and did not get any response. I have an MBA and 20 some years in the field. They won't even look at me. May be I am the lucky one. With all these negative comments, I won't work there if they pay me double what I am making now.
I think Lowes, Toy R Us, Pepsi may be in the same line.

You are absolutely spot on! I'm a former 32 year Navy veteran and I recently resigned from Home Depot (Dec 2015-April 2016) Your comments are correct all the way across the board. I spoke to former employees from years ago who had gotten hired back and they said "it's worse now". The lack of respect for the employee's the total lack of leadership and direct was hard to swallow. The whole Home Depot is the greatest company was a joke!! The employee's were the most unfriendly, rude and back stabbing people I have ever met!! The OrangeLife SUCKS!! Over worked underpaid employees! They give you a free soda or some pizza or a snack free or a ice cream party WTF am I 5 years old?? What next you gonna give me a gold star on a board?? They alway tout the benefits but when your making crap you can't afford any benefits!! Pay me and I"ll buy my own ice cream, sodas and pizza oh and benefits to!! Thank you!! FTHD!!!

1 month ago

former HR said: I used to be an HR Manager with HD and I can tell you that unless someone bugged the hell out of me, regardless of qualifications, they would not get an interview. Because of how many positions I had to fill and how the managers gave me about 1 week to fill them. They only wanted "warm bodies"-qualifications didn't matter to management and they wanted people who would work for cheap. As a matter of fact when I first started with the company the average hourly pay was about $15.00 an hour but I was told to start hiring more part timers at about $7.00 an hour. Also, I was told by more than a couple managers to hire young people-those that could stock the shelves and such. I would never go back to HD-they are a joke and by the way, as a woman, I don't shop there. They have completely alienated women shoppers by eliminating wallpaper, shades, and other "soft line" items that women like to buy as their husbands purchase lumber, tools, etc. Hey, if they don't want my money I'm sure Lowes will be happy to have

I love my job at H.D.. I filled out an application on H.D. site and was called 4 days later. I interviewed and got the job. I was trained and I feel confident at the register.

HD has employee online services that cover everything. They do care abkut their employees. Tustin store rocks!

Yalinde De Armas in Homestead, Florida

26 days ago

D said: Yeah I applied there several times and haven't heard a damn thing about it. It's like if you're posting that you are hiring for all these open positions at least check out the website everyone is applying to. Then maybe you could hire some people instead of just posting now hiring.
I applied yesterday and they already called me this morning for an interview.

YD in Homestead, Florida

26 days ago

H. Depot in Wayne, Michigan said: If HD is so bad why are you trying to apply there?

I don't understand the reviews, I worked for HD 10 years ago and I left cause I started working in the medical field after graduation. Yesterday I applied for a PT position cause I just want to go back to this nice environment of the HD and they called me today, tomorrow I will be there for my interview and I hope I get hired cause I love working for this company, they do care for employees, I only had positive experiences when I worked here 10 years ago.

YD in Homestead, Florida

26 days ago

CH in O Fallon, Missouri said: I love how people leave comments on here and don't know what they're talking about...........

Lol you make sense!! I don'tunderstand either! I worked for HD 10 years ago , graduated from college and started working the medical field. Yesterday I applied again for a PT cause I was bored, I passed the aplication, they called me today and tomorrow I'll be there for an interview. That easy!! My son is getting a PT too and he's only 18 ? AND NO HD doesn't have a football team. Maybe they can't pass the aplicacion! Or maybe they already hired someone else! Stop hating and keep applying for something else.

24 days ago

Absolutely agree!!!

Parker in Puyallup, Washington

19 days ago

Bitter much?

19 days ago

John in Denver, Colorado said: You are absolutely spot on! I'm a former 32 year Navy veteran and I recently resigned from Home Depot (Dec 2015-April 2016) Your comments are correct all the way across the board. I spoke to former employees from years ago who had gotten hired back and they said "it's worse now". The lack of respect for the employee's the total lack of leadership and direct was hard to swallow. The whole Home Depot is the greatest company was a joke!! The employee's were the most unfriendly, rude and back stabbing people I have ever met!! The OrangeLife SUCKS!! Over worked underpaid employees! They give you a free soda or some pizza or a snack free or a ice cream party WTF am I 5 years old?? What next you gonna give me a gold star on a board?? They alway tout the benefits but when your making crap you can't afford any benefits!! Pay me and I"ll buy my own ice cream, sodas and pizza oh and benefits to!! Thank you!! FTHD!!!

First, thank you for your service. Second, has it occurred to you that you're overqualified in their eyes and they don't want to pay you what you're worth? There's always another way to look at it. Frustrating, yes, but MOVE ON. If they don't want you, you sure as h*ll don't want them!!!

19 days ago

BillST in San Jose, California said: "As a new college student I applied at HD hoping to get a better paying job than the one I had. As a girl in a hardware store it was rough.On top of having customers doubt you because you're a girl..."

It is interesting that you think the reason why customers doubted you was 'because you were a girl' and not because it was obvious to the customer that you were a young college age person who never worked in construction /the trades. What could you possibly know?

Being a victim is much more satisfying than owning up to your lack of experience/knowledge. Nothing in your history prepared you to be knowledgeable about construction or home improvement other than a brief amount of time ringing up construction supplies. You were a failure on the floor because you lacked the experience and knowledge required to be there.

I'd love to hear your reasons why you've been a failure in the time since you were employed by Home Depot .

That happens whether you're male or female. Man up and get that chip off of your shoulder, Nancy.

Good one! You gotta work through that crap. Is it hard? Yes. Is it fair? No, but you have to move on. If you want to work in a "non traditional" (hate that phrase) environment, get ready for it. If you give up and slink away, bitter and shoulder-chipped, you're just proving them right, so you owe it to the rest of us and yourself to push through this. Believe me, it was way worse in the 1980's than it is now! I got through it, toughened up, and have the respect of my coworkers and management both. Nobody likes a whiner, Nancy.

19 days ago

Mrs-B in Orange County, California said: Got a call 5 days later, and now I am an employee at HD. GOOD MONEY GREAT BENEFITS!!

Good for you! :) Your comments are very astute. There are a lot of angry liars out there that like to vent, so it's up to the rest of us to be our positive, hopeful job-seeker selves. Congrats on the job and keep up the great comments!

19 days ago

Smiley in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: So that was a big slap in the face. I had handed him my resume & qualifications letter in the before the interview even started. I ended up leaving and still smiling the whole way out, knowing that I did an amazing job & they would be missing out. As i walked out another man approached me and wished me luck on getting the job. There's no doubt that the people are very friendly. Except the interviewer, of course.

You handled it very professionally. It's their loss. The hard part is feeling like you did awesomely and they don't appreciate it. I had a similar experience elsewhere but in hindsight came to the conclusion that they didn't deserve me and moved on. You seem like a great person and I hope since your comment that you've landed at a place that appreciates you!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.