Cry Babies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

John Dervick in Hamilton, Ontario

96 months ago

Never in my life have I seen such belly aching, all everyone here can do is complain. I am sure over the last 20-25 years some of there staff is happy and very satisfied and some how they squeezed out some small sales. Oh Ya 87 billion dollars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Portland in Portland, Oregon

93 months ago

...and why is it that most of the babies and whiners are functionally illiterate? Not to mention, the first to throw cheap, low-class insults at people who disagree with your opinion.

Sometimes a good person lands a job with a good company that is a bad match. It doesn't make the employer bad or the employee bad. If you don't have a good rapport with your manager and aren't given opportunities to develop your skills - leave. Don't burn your bridges by bad-mouthing your employer and making your situation worse while you're still there. Just keep your head down, hang in there until you can find a better-fitting position elsewhere. You'll be glad you left with your integrity intact. In other words - rise above it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MB in Freedomland

93 months ago

Jan in Portland in Portland, Oregon said: ...and why is it that most of the babies and whiners are functionally illiterate? Not to mention, the first to throw cheap, low-class insults at people who disagree with your opinion.

Sometimes a good person lands a job with a good company that is a bad match. It doesn't make the employer bad or the employee bad. If you don't have a good rapport with your manager and aren't given opportunities to develop your skills - leave. Don't burn your bridges by bad-mouthing your employer and making your situation worse while you're still there. Just keep your head down, hang in there until you can find a better-fitting position elsewhere. You'll be glad you left with your integrity intact. In other words - rise above it.

I had a 21+ year career with a Fortune 300 company - until I reached my mid-fifties, and got laid-off in a large cutback. The people that remained had less experience, and I actually outperformed them in sales for the fiscal year preceding my cut. When they let you go at that age, you CAN'T rise above it. I've tried for 4 years, and am only able to get temp. jobs at $7-10 an hour. I despise big business, and what they do to the American worker. This country will reap what it sows, when it's inhabitants can't fund it's expenses, and it's RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER !!! By the way, I'm college educated, a vet, and have given all that's been asked of me. It's not enough, apparently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Portland in Portland, Oregon

93 months ago

Dear MB,

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I'm over 40 myself and have already observed how "older" employees are passed over in the corporate world. I've been through the temp circuit too and know about taking low-paying assignments just to stay in the work force. It took me almost 5 years to get back in a position where I feel reasonably secure again.

My previous comment was not directed at someone like yourself (i.e., most... not all) and you certainly don't sound like a whiner or someone who leaves behind insults.

I don't know whether it will help, but I'm going back to school for a new vocation to prepare for my 50's. I don't want to be laid off again and be faced with taking temp jobs at places where the 'employees' are threatened by someone with experience. They know you won't get hired, but in the meantime, you can make them look bad if you can perform their function better than they can.

I agree that corporations are far too focused on the bottom line for the shareholders and that there should be a limitation on outsourcing outside the US. Our economy has dug a hole by relying on cheap labor. Sooner or later, we're going to have more Americans unemployed or unemployed that COULD be contributing to the economy. We're definitely headed toward the "Have's" and "Have-nots" with nothing in between.

Good luck to you and try not to get discouraged (I know it's hard). Keeping a positive attitude will help in more ways than you know :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karyn in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

Jan in Portland in Portland, Oregon said: Dear MB,

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I'm over 40 myself and have already observed how "older" employees are passed over in the corporate world. I've been through the temp circuit too and know about taking low-paying assignments just to stay in the work force. It took me almost 5 years to get back in a position where I feel reasonably secure again.

My previous comment was not directed at someone like yourself (i.e., most... not all) and you certainly don't sound like a whiner or someone who leaves behind insults.

I don't know whether it will help, but I'm going back to school for a new vocation to prepare for my 50's. I don't want to be laid off again and be faced with taking temp jobs at places where the 'employees' are threatened by someone with experience. They know you won't get hired, but in the meantime, you can make them look bad if you can perform their function better than they can.

I agree that corporations are far too focused on the bottom line for the shareholders and that there should be a limitation on outsourcing outside the US. Our economy has dug a hole by relying on cheap labor. Sooner or later, we're going to have more Americans unemployed or unemployed that COULD be contributing to the economy. We're definitely headed toward the "Have's" and "Have-nots" with nothing in between.

Good luck to you and try not to get discouraged (I know it's hard). Keeping a positive attitude will help in more ways than you know :)

Very true.. I also was employed and let go at a company for a very minor incident.. I have a freind who still work at this company, and has told me the gal they hired now, get away with murder..even thought I did a good job, i was still let go.. and I believe also, if they can pay someone less money, they will do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A friend down South

93 months ago

To Jan & MB...I am not quite 40 but from what I have been reading...I must admit it is scary. There is no loyalty in big companies anymore. I have just been let go from a big "do it yourself moving company" due to taking too long from recovering from an on the job injury. These folks had better start thinking about their future...on day the "ax-man" may come for them and they will realize the same pain they inflicted to another...is now their pain. I am not wishing any misfortune to anyone...but it is sure tough trying to dust ourselves off AGAIN and get back to providing for a family when the cards are not in our favor. Between unemployment rising, all goods/services too, if PRESSURE would make us rich, there would be a wealthy folks. Lets all hang in there...take care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Cary, North Carolina

93 months ago

To my older colleagues posting here,

I don't think it's right for your age to be an issue when it comes to finding an exceptional opportunity. Being an executive recruiter myself, my first thought is this: if you're an experience HR professional and not having luck landing a corporate position, why not look into executive recruiting yourself? The vendor side of staffing and HR can be very lucrative and most firms with which I have affiliated myself would be glad to bring an experience, mature and wise HR professional on board for their contacts, inside experience, and seasoned background.

Just a thought - I'm only 31 but I love it and I'll never do anything else. It's definitely what I'll encourage my father to do if he gets laid off now that he is approaching his late 50's.

If you worked in a unique company or certain type of industry, you could become an expert recruiting for companies in that field. Executive recruiting allows you to take control of your schedule and should provide you with the kind of autonomy that you deserve after all your years in the trenches.

Good luck and God bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.