Do I need expirence to get a sales Associate job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Cter77 in Medford, New York

51 months ago

I'm currently 21 and looking for a part-time job while I'm in college. Do hw,garden,lumber,..etc need experience in that field to get the job or does HD train you? My past job was a laborer for a masonry company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

orangeokie in Patchogue, New York

51 months ago

They are hiring temps at this point. There are no benefits, no tuition reimburesement for part timers, no medical, no sick time that accrues monthly until the 90 day trial period is over. If you make it to the 90 day mark, you will either be told, 1)we don't need you anymore, 2)re-up your 90 day period and still not recieve benefits, or 3)make you a permanent part timer. No one during the busy season this past summer I know of recieved a position as a fulltimer out of at least 20 new employees. A couple remain as part timers.
You are trained on a computer at first....not much hands on.
Believe Walmart and other large companies are doing the same....temps.
You need no experience. During winter/slow season, you might get 4 hours a week, so if you are depending on this to pay for anything other than spending money, look elsewhere.

theone123 in New York, New York

51 months ago

Hey which masonry company you used to work with? I thought masonry got paid well. Would you recommend masonry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

51 months ago

I guess it depends on where you are and store volume. Our store keeps about 90% of its temps. by the way theone, stay away from any construction jobs if you want to eat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Not buying that masterspec. The store I was in, hired between 15 and 20 temps for the garden season. They kept 2. This is a high volume store.
Two long term, more than 5 years...people quit, one transferred, and another went part time in the last 4 weeks. These people were not slugs either. They are losing and ridding themselves of the wrong people.
Let's see....that's 4 fulltimers gone,counting me, and one went to part time...that's 180 hours down...up 40hrs with part time temps kept...store is down 140 hours and they will not replace them. Plus 5 they won't have to pay out on with health insurance. Going back to the Nardelli/GE/Navy way of doing things...cut labor and benefits. 50% full time and 50% part time. Mr. Blake is from GE and a Navy guy. And I beleived he was going to make things better. Shame on you Mr. Blake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

desperate times call for desperate measures, the fact that they're hiring at all is quite impressive in this economy. Plus most stores are actually still getting bonuses regularly. They continue to adjust sales goals so stores have a better shot at bonuses. I think your expectations are way too high my friend. Count the blessings, don't dwell on the negative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Desperate measures are firing long term people over any small infraction and hiring temps at $8 an hour in metropolitan areas where a crummy apartment costs more than you make in a month.
They also will not have to pay out for benefits and never unemployment.
Sales associates are given a crumb when it comes to success sharing/bonuses. Mngrs are the big winners in that game. Yes, it's better than nothing. Let's see....last bonus was around $200 for long term people, less taxes, $125...what's that...did I hear about $1 a day. That's about 1/3 gallon of gas....barely fumes.
Stop the bonuses and give a better raise than 35 cents to those who deserve it. Everyone gets part of the success share, lazy or superstars.
Now two more people were fired at my former store....down 220 hours in 5 weeks. No replacements.
Another had a customer call her a F C and continued to curse at her because she had 5 people ahead of him waiting to be helped...the only one in the department. Took 15 minutes for the SM and DM to get there while he continued to rant and harass her while she was helping other customers. Did he get walked out of the store....hummm....of course not, he was a buying customer.
One of the young cashiers had a guy put his hand up the back of her shirt..slime..did he get walked out....or spoken to...nope...he shopped and left when he got ready. The sexual abuse from customers must stop. Verbally abusive customers must be stopped. No one has a right to scream and yell at employees...no one! Managers should be ashamed of themselves.

51 months ago

Obviously some stores suck more than others, but that by no means is the case at all stores.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.