Getting fired.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 121 of 121)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

binkbaby in Milton, Florida

104 months ago

AS MY HUSBAND WAS THERE HE DECIDED HE WOULD LOOK AROUND WHILE I WAS TRYING EITHER TO THROW UP OR NOT TO THROW UP. ALL I COULD DO WAS GET MY NOSE TO BURN AND GAG ALOT. FINALLY I GAVE UP WENT IN AND SAID MAN I AM SICK AND I DOD NOT KNOW IF I CAN MAKE IT 2 MORE HOURS. I AM FEELING REALLY BAD. THE HEAD CASHIER WENT AND GOT A BUCKET AND PUT IT BY ME WHILE I WAS CHECKING OUT PEOPLE AND SAID THROW UP IN THAT. I JUST LOOKED AT HER LIKE SHE WAS NUTS, HOW COULD YOU EXPECT ANYONE TO THROW UP IN FRONT OF YOUR STORE WHILE WORKING WITH THE PUBLIC THAT IS TELLING YOU THAT HEY SHE LOOKS REALLY BAD SEND HER HOME. THIS RIGHT HERE WAS AWEFUL, I JUST MARKED IT UP TO MAYBE I MADE HER MAD SOME HOW, AND THIS IS WHAT I HAD TO DO FOR NOW. I DID AND COUNTED MY MONEY REALLY FAST AND TO THE PENNY AND GOT OUT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. I WAS GETTING SHAKEY AND LIGHT HEADED. I SHOULD HAVE GRTAZED A LITTLE MORE IT IS HARD WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING A REGISTER. YOU CAN'T TALK WITH A MOTHFUL. I ASKED THEM IF THEY COULD BUT ME CLOSER TO A RESTROOM. NO NEVER CONSIDERED BUT THEY GOT A STOOL FOR A SHORT PERIOD FOR THE ONES THAT WERE PREGNANT AT THE TIME. THEN EVERYONE WENT ON LEAVE.... NO ONE REALLY CAME BACK BUT ONE THOUGH, AND SHE QUIT AFTER A MONTH TO GO TO SCHOOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

MOST OF THE GIRLS I TRAINED OUTSIDE ALL LEFT FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER. SCHOOL WAS A BIG PART OF IT. AT THE END OF MY FIRTS TRYMESTER WITH MY SECOND CHILD I WAS TERMINATED, FIRED THE DAY BEFORE OUR FIRST DR. (OBGYN) APPOINTMENT. I WAS CALLED IN THE OFFICE BY BRAD, SUZANNE, STEVE, AND HR TO FIND THAT DUE TO ABSENCES IN THE LAST 18 MONTHS MY EMPLOYMENT WAS TO BE A NON-REHIRE TERMINATION WITH THE COMPANY. THIS WAS TOLD TO ME BY STEVE THE STORE MANAGER. I LOOKED UP TO BRAD (DEPT. MANAGER) AND SUZANNE (DEPT HEAD) AND WAS WONDERING IF THEY EVEN TOLD STEVE IF I WAS GOING TO MY DR. APPOINTMENT TOMORROW BECAUSE I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY SECOND CHILD? STEVE LOOKED AT THE TWO OF THEM AND SAID THERE WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO THAT IT WAS ALREADY WITH CORPERATE AND THAT I DID NOT HAVE BENEFITS SINCE THE DATE OF TERMINATION WHICH WAS SATURDAY AND THIS WAS MONDAY MORNING. THIS MADE NO SENCE TO ME AND I WAS FURIOUS. I DID NOT SIGN ANYTHING JUST WENT TO THE LOCKER ROOM AND PULLED ALL THE STUFF OUT. TOOK ALL MY BUTTONS OFF MY APRON AND RETURNED THEM A LITTLE FORCEFULLY TO HR REP WHO WAS CHASING ME DOWN TO GIVE ME MONY THAT WAS STILL TO BE PAID TO ME FROM THAT WEEK OF WORK I JUST SAID I WANT NOTHING, NOTHING FROM ANY OF YOU AND STORMED OUT. SHE SAID I HAD TO TAKE THE MONEY AND PUT IT IN MY POCKET. I NEVER COUNTED IT JUST THREW IT IN THE CAR AND LEFT. I WAS FURIOUS. THEY KNEW I WAS PREGNANT, I WAS SICK, I HAD PUKED FOR THEM NUMEROUS TIMES IN FRONT OF THE STORE, WHEN IT COULD NOT BE HELPED. THEY JUST WANTED A REASON. WHY I DO NOT KNOW. I HOPE SOMONE GETS THEM. IT IS WRON THE WHOLE HORRIBLE THING. EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH MY STUFF DIAPEARED AFTER I TALKED TO UD DOL AND EEOC OF LOUISIANA. JUST GOT THE RUN AROUND FOR 8 MONTHS AND THEN I HAD MY SECOND BABY. NOT A MINUTE GOES BY THAT I DO NOT THINK ABOUT THOSE INDIVIDUALS. AND HOW IT MADE ME ALMOST LOOSE MY CHILDREN. I ALMOST LOST EVERYTHING, BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE THAT INCOME AND WAS STILL PAYING FOR THE FIRST CHILD. HELL FOR THE NEXT 5 1/2 YEARS.

104 months ago

HOPE EVERYONE GETS BETTER LUCK THEN ME... ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE STORE I WORKED IN EITHER GOT FIRED THAT YEAR OR IF THEY WERE HR OR MNGT. THEY WERE DEMOTED AND OR TRANSFERED. I DON'T KNOW WHERE BUT THAT IS THE LAST I HEARD FROM ANYONE. ATLANT GA WAS ALSO IN ON THIS AND AS I TALKED TO THEM AND REPORTED TO THE DOL I WAS TALKING TO THEY TO WENT MISSING IN ACTION. THEY EITHER NO LONGER WORKED THERE OR WERE TRANSFERED TO ANOTHER DEPT. MEAN WHILE ALL I WANTED TO DO THEN WAS TAKE THESE TWO BABIES AND SIT ON THEIR FRONT STEPS UNTIL THEY COULD ANSWER WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO SOME ONE WITH A HEALTH ISSUE? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO YOUR EMPLOYEE, OR ASSOCIATE? DID IT TAKE CAREFUL THOUGHT AND STATAGY? HAD TO BECAUSE I WOULD NOT THINK IT IS IN HUMAN NATURE TO DO SUCH THINGS TO A PERESON MUCH LESS A JUST BORN CHILD...CHILDREN? HUGH? NO MATTER WHICH WAY IT IS WORDED... THEY DID THIS TO TWO BABIES... TWO UNKNOWING LITTLE BYSTANDERS. THEY ARE JUST AS AT FAULT AS THE PARENT THAT LET IT HAPPEN AND DID NOT LEAVE WHEN SHE SHOULD HAVE. AT LEAST I HAVE POST-PARDEM DEPRESSION TO FALL ON.... THEY ARE JUST CRUEL, UNJUSTLY, RUDE, VENDICTIVE, UGLY, ECT.... PEOPLE THAT DO NOT THINK BEFORE THEY ACT. IT DOES NOT TAKE LONG FOR MURPHY'S LAW TO WORK. "EVERY BUSINESSES CURSE", IS NOW, "I HAVE TOLD 100 PEOPLE HOW MANY DO YOU THINK THEY HAVE TOLD?" IS HOME DEPOT HURT? THEY WILL.... THEY WILL.... IT IS THE AMERICAN WAY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

THE WHOL STORY !!!!!!! I AM FINISHED ! IF ANYONE WANTS TO CONTACT ME E-MAIL ME AN BINKBABY2001@MSN.COM

johnnystuyv in Pennsylvania

104 months ago

BINKBABY in Milton, Florida said: THE WHOL STORY !!!!!!! I AM FINISHED ! IF ANYONE WANTS TO CONTACT ME E-MAIL ME AN BINKBABY2001@MSN.COM

Turn off the capitols !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

briankelly in Egg Harbor City, New Jersey

104 months ago

It's an untenable situation to say the least.. and this "employer" from what I can gather is a repeat offender.

You contacted local attorneys at the time? Did anyone open up a file for you or send a letter ? Anything?

You would need an extraordinary situation to convince the court to disregard the statute and in most cases even that is not successful..

The reason most attornies won't touch the case is because of the costs associated with pursuing the claim which most likely won't succeed.

And once you're in this stance with the company, the company is going to use whatever leverage it has.. What I'm most interested in is not so much now what led up to the dismissal etc.... but what did you do during the first 3 years after the incident?

You claim to have spoken with the DOL ... do you have a copy of their investigation?
Or any paperwork whereby this can be reviewed at an agency level?

Sorry but once things go this far it gets very very difficult ... I'd need to see something from an independent investigator .. etc...

You didn't contact any attorney at the time? Or just couldn't find one willing to do it on a contingency basis?

104 months ago

Brian Kelly in Egg Harbor City, New Jersey said: It's an untenable situation to say the least.. and this "employer" from what I can gather is a repeat offender.

You contacted local attorneys at the time? Did anyone open up a file for you or send a letter ? Anything?

You would need an extraordinary situation to convince the court to disregard the statute and in most cases even that is not successful..

The reason most attornies won't touch the case is because of the costs associated with pursuing the claim which most likely won't succeed.

And once you're in this stance with the company, the company is going to use whatever leverage it has.. What I'm most interested in is not so much now what led up to the dismissal etc.... but what did you do during the first 3 years after the incident?

You claim to have spoken with the DOL ... do you have a copy of their investigation?
Or any paperwork whereby this can be reviewed at an agency level?

Sorry but once things go this far it gets very very difficult ... I'd need to see something from an independent investigator .. etc...

You didn't contact any attorney at the time? Or just couldn't find one willing to do it on a contingency basis?

THEN AT THE TIME IT WAS VERY SERIOUS AND I DID HAVE E-MAILS GENERATED BACK AND FORTH FROM TH US DOL ATTORNEY. HE WAS COACHING ME ON WHAT TO DO. AS WELL AS ANY OTHER US REPRESENTATIVE, SENATOR, AND EVEN THE PRES. PLUS THE FIRST LADY. I TOLD EVERYONE TO GET AN EARFUL OF KNOWLEDGE AND RETAINED ALL THE EMAILS AND CONTACT NUMBERS I COULD. I ALSO KEPT ALL INFO IN A BOX WITH ALL MY EMPLOYEE PACKET (BOX) THAT WE RECIEVED AT ORIENTATION. BELIEVE IT OR NOT I STILL HAVE ALL THAT I THINK. AS FAR AS SOMEONE INDEPENDENTLY TAKING IT ... NO NO ONE WOULD. SORRY.. NO ONE WOULD EVEN LISTEN TO THE FIRST 18 SENTENCES. I EVEN WROTE LETTERS... I STAYED ON IT IT WAS MY FULL TIME JOB. I WAS THREE MONTHS PREGNANT. WHO WOULD HIRE ME?

B40 in wilbraham, Massachusetts

104 months ago

justfired in Atlanta, Georgia said: Just fired - was in HR and yes.. if you're hourly working at corporate especially -- watch out. If you are salaried you're in another class altogether. Hourly associates at corporate are stowage - 3rd class and are blatenly treated as such. I went through the proper channels to dispute a review and they turned the investigation on me. If you look hard enough you can find anything on anyone. Don't EVER TRUST HUMAN RESOURCES.. they are the anti-christ!!!!!!!

If tou read my post about the true culture of home depot in western mass, you will understand one of the many reasons that you can't ever trus human resources at home depot. They are all part of their own inner circle, secret cult. Your either in or you are not. Dept. Managers, lower level authority are given too much power too soon. They not only collude secretly they all date each other. It is such a dysfunctional soap opera. You can't trust any of them. Higher management has no clue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

briankelly in Egg Harbor City, New Jersey

103 months ago

Well I'm kind of undecided as to how to address this on a National Level. Binkbaby I don't know exactly what you have however I haven't forgotten about you.

I'm just in the middle of handling my own mess... You traditionally have two years from the "date of incident" and in particularly malicious cases.. "three" years... Unfortunately without a copy of any formal complaint that you filed, dated by some outside agency.. I really don't know what can be done in your particular situation. I'm sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

liseyjensen in Schenectady, New York

103 months ago

My friend was fired after 5 years working at HD. She has a claim ( Human Rights, EEOC) for age discrimination. HD offered her a settlement which is another slap on her face. She is refusing the settlement and she will pursuit the claim despite all the pressure they are putting on her and her family.

You should know your rights and go forward. Good luck to you all.

J B in KY in Teaberry, Kentucky

103 months ago

My daughter was fired from a Louisville, KY Home Depot for greeting customers wrong. She said, "Hi, how are you doing today?" instead of "Would you like to apply for our Home Depot credit card?". I'm actually in HR and I couldn't believe it! There was no opportunity to "fix" her mistake (she had customers come in and ask for her by name because they thought she was so nice - most companies would LOVE to have this kind of employee). Worst of all, she was dressed down loudly, in front of other employees and customers. Unbelievable. I won't shop there and I tell everyone I know not to shop there either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacey2 in Warren, Massachusetts

103 months ago

HR said: If this is true, and you worked full-time for more than a year, you were probably entitled to FMLA and there may be a legal issue here. Also, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act may be a big issue here, especially if there's a pattern of mistreating pregnant women. If what you say is true, and you think the other women's stories are credible, you might want to see an attorney.

File with the EEOC. You have rights. This is illegal. and sexist.

Always Anonymous in Concord, North Carolina

103 months ago

Candidate in Cary in Raleigh, North Carolina said: The problem is that when you are out sick a lot due to pregnancy, or to take care of your sick child, then your responsiblities fall to someone else who is there all the time. The work has to get done somehow.

At the company where I used to work, pregnant women and working mothers got many more privelges than those who were neither. While they were home taking care of their families, it was expected that the single, childless women would work longer hours to pick up the slack.

I was an employee at this location as well and that was not the case. I did not get extra time off to be with my children and there were no employees picking up any slack. Trust if you did not finish it would be waiting when you got there the next day. North Carolina is a work at will state meaning, you don't have to work there.

Polly Murphy in Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania

101 months ago

Worked at HD for 8 years, filed for FMLA. 3days later I was fired. They said that I was "unable to sustain my stellar performance" That would be why I filed the FMLA papers {the short term disability claim was approved with a claim number} - so that I could get my knee replaced. Legel representative says that that I need to 'prove that Home Depot is self-insured' How do I do that?

djc

101 months ago

Polly Murphy in Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania said: Worked at HD for 8 years, filed for FMLA. 3days later I was fired. They said that I was "unable to sustain my stellar performance" That would be why I filed the FMLA papers {the short term disability claim was approved with a claim number} - so that I could get my knee replaced. Legel representative says that that I need to 'prove that Home Depot is self-insured' How do I do that?

Since you are from PA. Here is the labor site from your state that says the list of the self insured employers.
www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=138&Q=64627

Also here is the link for the Home Depot stock holders report that states on P. 29 that they are self insured.
www.mdm.com/pdfs/homedepot2006.pdf

Hope this helps.

DJC

arizhopi41@*****.*** in Cleveland, Ohio

84 months ago

did you know that when you are pregnant, you are covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I never worked for Home Depot. I was never pregnant, nor had any kids, but I can tell you this. I was let go from a previous job back in July of last year. I was a part-time telephone agent and I had to validate the company's clients' phone numbers by asking if it was a business.

They required a consistent 95% or higher disposition accuracy rate on all of the calls. They caught me falling asleep on the job which was against company policy. I let them know that I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and I gave them medical documentation as proof of it. There were days that my accuracy rate was 95% or higher, and there were days that it wasn't. They had given me written warnings about this, and I did the very best that I could.

On the day that I was let go, the supervisor called me into the conference room. He was monitoring my calls and my accuracy rate score was at 79%, and he couldn't accept it. Therefore, I was let go.

To me, it was simply for the best. I let them know that they needed to hire people who were more mentally alert for this type of job. This job had no variety in it. It was very repetitious, and it was very hard for me to stay awake. I have a very serious illness and I'm under a doctor's care for it. I didn't go screaming and crying to the ACLU or to the EEOC stating that my rights had been violated and crying discrimination. There was nothing that I could do. I had missed the personal contact and variety that I had in my previous telephone contact jobs.

A month after I was let go, they closed up the call center due to flood damage from the heavy rains and thunderstorms that we had here on Sunday, August 2. The company was located in a flood-prone area. Two inches of water got into the building and it damaged the call center. Everybody was let go, including the supervisor and the manager.

I know that it's hard to lose a job, especially if you're pregnant and have sick children. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. But don't give up.

78 months ago

And talk about losing a job when you're sick, I forgot to tell you this.

In March of 2001, after being out of work for four months, I had accepted a temporary 3-month data entry assignment through one of the staffing agencies. A week later, I came down with a very bad cold and my voice was really hoarse. The staffing agency rep was in the job site manager's office, and I asked her if I could go home and she refused. I stuck it out for the rest of the day. But then I called out the next morning; with my voice still hoarse. Ditto again for the next day, but this time, I went to the emergency room to get checked out. They gave me a chest X-ray and they found out that I had pneumonia in my left lung. They gave me medication, they told me to drink lots of liquid, and I had to stay home for three weeks. My father also came over and gave me two big bottles of apple juice as well.

Well anyway, I called the agency and let them know that I would come back to work once I got better. The agency said that I quit, which was an absolute lie right there. I did go see my regular doctor for a follow-up visit. She gave me a note that I gave to the agency. But unfortunately, they didn't have anything else for me. They had to replace me on the assignment.

I decided not to deal with that agency ever again, and now, they're out of business.

I know that it's hard to lose your job if you're sick, but at the same time, the company has to keep going. If you do get fired, just look for something else. Don't give up. There's a saying that when God closes a door, He opens up a window. Just hang in there.

78 months ago

And another thing: employers are still living in the days of June Cleaver and Ozzie and Harriet when it comes to working mothers and pregnant women. Their whole attitude is this: you're pregnant, you've got kids: stay home and take care of them!

Don't they realize that both parents have to work today in order to survive? Don't they also realize that literally half the marriages in this country today end up in divorce, and a lot of kids are being raised in a single-parent household? It's not your fault that you get sick, you have a complicated pregnancy, you have a sick child, and so forth.

If you are pregnant, or have any other physical problems, then you shouldn't work in retail. In retail, you have to stand on your feet all day long and it's a lot of physical work. If you do get fired, try your best to find a job that's not as physical as retail.

I used to be a hospital/nursing home dietary aide, but I can't do it anymore. I have physical problems, and besides, my heart's just not in it anymore. I know myself that i couldn't work in retail either. While I was still in dietary, I took some business courses and worked them around my schedule. Then in 1983, I went out to Los Angeles and got into the telemarketing field. I've been out of food serice since 1994, and I have no desire to go back into that type of work.

I feel very sorry for anybody who loses a job. But look at the bright side. Tbere's another opportunity out there for you. Just hang in there, ask for God's help, and just simply leave it in His hands.

Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenn b in Schenectady, New York

55 months ago

Harris in Lake In The Hills, Illinois said: Sounds to me we have a corporate lawyer among us?? Think about this not everyone can afford to take a leave of absence. So should an individual live off the system, or try to make a go at an honest living?? Case or not - these laws were established for a reason. Alot of corporations have been pulling some shady stuff and it needs to stop.

agree with you 100%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

candaceesposito in Wildwood, Illinois

55 months ago

Sick of Stupid People!!! in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Maybe you were fired because you were NOT DOING YOU JOB!!! That's the purpose of you being their EMPLOYEE!! Just because you got yourself pregnant doesn't mean that a company should be forced to hold your position for you until your are ready to DO YOUR JOB. No. Job's have to be done and someone has to do them. If not you then someone else. Stop using pregnancy as an excuse for laziness!!!!

You sound like the supervisor that laughed at me when I got sick in front of a customer because I was not allowed to leave my register and then told the customer that pregnancy was just a phase that I'd better get over quick. VERY IMMATURE! How would you like it if you were treated like crap just because you were pregnant? People in charge at Home Depot can take as many breaks as they want because they have a tummy ache, but you can't let a pregnant woman take a minute to be sick?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.