HOME DEPOT / HOME DECORATORS on Pershall RD - DISCRIMINATES

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

DJ in IL in Du Bois, Illinois

91 months ago

I applied at Home Decorators at 8920 Pershall Rd in N. County. They treated me like I was an alien because I was WHITE and over 35. I was MORE than qualifed and have had ample customer service and office management experience. The gal in HR lied to me just to get me out the door and packing. . and yet she welcomed a few Black guys that Im sure didnt have anywhere near the experience that I did. I felt very unwelcomed there and discriminated against.
I also called HOME DEPOT store. . the HR person there told me that you HAD to have a particular expertise in one of their depts for them to even consider being hired. YET, when I go to a Home Depot MOST of the KIDS that are working there no NOTHING about what I am in need of and have TERRIBLE customer service.

I would NEVER want to work for HOME DEPOT or ANY of their subsidiaries IF that is the way they treat people.

I sincerely HOPE they go out of business and mark my word.. they eventually will if that is the way they do business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rare Jewel in Alton, Illinois

85 months ago

Well, I thought it was just me that thought they were discriminating. I am white and 40 yrs old and I was hired in a group of 9 people..a diverse group I thought...2 white males, both around 45, 3 white females, 40 (me), early 20s and other close to 50 yrs old. 4 black females, range from 18-25. Seems the older ones were the first to go. A white male, 46 quit while still in training classes..felt he was being selected out by the instructor (black female, early 20s) and given attitude. He shared his thoughts with me...but I tend to try and keep a positive attitude and outlook, so I just thought it was maybe a personality conflict. The next to go was the 50yr old white woman. The instructor gave her attitude as well while in training and told her if she couldn't lie to the customers then this probably wasn't the job for her. So, her old job that laid her off, called her back..so yeah, she took it cuz it paid twice the money. The 3rd to go was the other white girl in her 20s..no one knows why. Next was the white male in his 40's. He also was given attitude while in training classes...instructor gave him (what they call) a "tardy" when he and others came back to class late because they were talking company business with the skill instructor. He's the only one that protested. He said he'd never worked anywhere that had so many stupid rules to follow...seems if you are conducting company business, there wouldn't be a penalty for that. So that left me and the 4 black young ladies. Well, I made it to my 3 months, but by that time another had fell off so it was only 3 of us. I was put on an "improvement plan" to get my scores up (if you didn't improve in 2 weeks then you were fired)..come to find out, it actually said if you didn't hit "par" in ALL areas then you are fired. Only area was my "talk time"..they want it 5min..mine was 5.35..yeah, average of 30 sec too long. I was a top seller in upsales and average orders. I was making the company money but still was fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rare Jewel in Alton, Illinois

85 months ago

From what I experienced working there and seeing things from the inside, they want to seem to be a diverse group but the majority of employees & floor supervisors are black, that I did notice right off, but the entire upper management/HR is white. I felt I was singled out as well. They have QA people who listen to your calls, they give suggestions and grade you. If you miss one thing in an area then you miss the whole score. While still in skills (where you're suppose to be still learning) I was graded 3 times in one day and all 3 scores were "below par", so I was told it is their "policy" to send me home w/o pay for the day. The next day I asked for a copy of this policy..got nothing. Contacted HR. No help. I asked around..no one had been "scored" 3 times in 1 day like that. This was unfair. Also, it seems they drag you along and change the rules as you go. First they said you have a test to take after training classes in order to start taking real order calls. Then they said, it's 2 tests: 1 for order entry and the other for customer service. Ok..then after you start in skills taking orders then you have to take a 3rd test (at 3 months) in order to go "to the floor" and be assigned to a "team", BUT what they don't tell you is, you have to "qualify" in order to take the test by having all your scores at "par" and also the skills instructor has to give you "permission". So this means you can qualify to take the test..pass it..but they can still hold you back if they want to for whatever reason they want to. It was just crazy. I've never tried so hard in my life and never had to jump thru so many "hoops" for a job..to then be fired. It was just beyond my me. So the only ones left were the 3 black girls from my group who were still there when I left. I barely hit the 3 month mark, but they tried to get rid of me just before so I could not claim unemployment. So just be aware if you are hired, your chances are slim to none that you will last past the 3 month mark

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Woofie

84 months ago

DJ in IL in Du Bois, Illinois said: I applied at Home Decorators at 8920 Pershall Rd in N. County. They treated me like I was an alien because I was WHITE and over 35. I was MORE than qualifed and have had ample customer service and office management experience. The gal in HR lied to me just to get me out the door and packing. . and yet she welcomed a few Black guys that Im sure didnt have anywhere near the experience that I did. I felt very unwelcomed there and discriminated against.
I also called HOME DEPOT store. . the HR person there told me that you HAD to have a particular expertise in one of their depts for them to even consider being hired. YET, when I go to a Home Depot MOST of the KIDS that are working there no NOTHING about what I am in need of and have TERRIBLE customer service.

I would NEVER want to work for HOME DEPOT or ANY of their subsidiaries IF that is the way they treat people.

I sincerely HOPE they go out of business and mark my word.. they eventually will if that is the way they do business.

Hey DJ! U said it ALL! May Lowe's sink HD like the Titanic!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.