www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=8254890

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Xanex10 in MindBoggled, North Dakota

88 months ago

Fired from THD in Pennsylvania said: Home Depot to close 15 stores; 2 in Ohio
WTOL.com
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:11 AM EDT
www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=8254890

Gee I wonder what underperfomers will be next?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Fired from THD in Pennsylvania said: www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=8254890

Home Depot to close 15 stores; 2 in Ohio

Posted: May 1, 2008 10:11 AM EDT

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Home Depot is closing 15 of its namesake stores, affecting 1,300 employees. It is the first time the home improvement retailer has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons.

The Atlanta-based company said Thursday that the underperforming U.S. stores being closed represent less than 1 percent of its existing stores. They will be shuttered within the next two months.

A company spokesman says some of the employees will be relocated, while others could lose their jobs.

Spokesman Ron DeFeo says Home Depot has only closed 1 of its flagship stores previously because of structural damage.

The company reiterated its intention to open 55 new stores in the 2009 fiscal year.

The Home Depot will close 15 underperforming U.S. stores that do not meet the Company's targeted returns. The store locations are as follows:

#2015 East Fort Wayne, Indiana
#2032 Marion, Indiana
#2310 Frankfort, Kentucky
#379 Opelousas, Louisiana
#2819 Cottage Grove, Minnesota
#6901 East Brunswick, New Jersey
#6904 Saddle Brook, New Jersey
#6171 Rome, New York
#3702 Bismarck, North Dakota
#3874 Findlay, Ohio
#3865 Lima, Ohio
#4552 Brattleboro, Vermont
#4932 Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
#4933 Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
#4913 NW Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I am so sorry for all of these employees and their families that are going to go through such challenging times. My heart and prayers go out to each and every one of them.

And for those of you at an underperfomer not YET listed, take care of your business quickly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

H2o in Atlanta, Georgia said: Just found out in my district all DH's to be key carriers any more news about replacing ASM's?

My asms say they are being told not to worry - they will be fine. But who knows who are what to believe. After all, that is what HR was also told. But if you read the other boards it should be coming down relatively fast now. Also, has anyone else heard that more stores will be closing before the end of the year?

HRM Indiana in Kentucky

88 months ago

We had a meeting with all our DH'S yesterday. So I guess this is happening everywhere. They try to keep everything hid, But there is always leaks. I would think they would get rid of the District Manages, and up the line of useless positions that can be handled by the stores Managers. I don't see any reason for keeping LPSM either since they never do their jobs. They could save a lot of money by getting rid of them. Our jobs are more important for HD but they don't care.

Sheba1 in Wheeling, West Virginia

88 months ago

Hey Guys - Hows it goin. Just got the info on the ASMS. My sister has a best friend in her Dist office - ASMS to be gone by Sept 1st. Will keep one per store if volume is right ##'s. If not DS to take it over with pay increase of about 1/hr if they are an O. Wow&Wow again. After that they are gettin ready to disband the high cost dist offices and those kept will go back to stores. Clerical staff and Leadership Development Trainers to be gone. Overhead high and it was not original part of THD strategy. How is that for a Thursday afternoon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Xanex10 - would ya tell me where these other boards are. Thank you much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maliceinwonderland in New Orleans, Louisiana

88 months ago

HomeDepotGuy, you make many assumptions which are unfair and biased. The only person playing "pseudo lawyer" here is you. We know Frank Blake didn't wake up one day and make this call. This has been in the works for at least eighteen months! The financial decline was evident, but it was a slow and insidious process. We HRM's have a valid point when speaking of legal action. When corporate reviewed the selection process, they could only assess liability from the known factors. What they could not possibly address was the outcome of each selection process. Some districts have only non-minority HR generalists, while other districts have no minority HR generalists. Are you saying this will not leave the door wide open for future EEOC litigation? I believe the last thing Home Depot wants is lawsuits. Can they actually afford any nationwide lawsuits right now? Additionally, how many juries would be sympathetic to Home Depot in this economic environment? Thousands laid off, food prices skyrocketing, gas prices unaffordable, housing market mess...I can understand a layoff, that's business. It's personal when you're qualified and denied an opportunity. They should have stuck to the internal staffing SOP and let the best man or woman win. If history repeats itself, as it usually does, Home Depot will have shot itself in the foot for not following it's own rules. HRM's should let their RHRVP and RVP know how they feel. No matter what anyone says, most of us were dedicated and deserve better than this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GoneTHDHRM in Tennessee

88 months ago

Check out Orange Blood Bank.

Beat up in CO in Colorado

88 months ago

Wow it has been an eventful month! Now this was noted on Yahoo news
Thanks Catbert
biz.yahoo.com/ap/080501/home_depot_store_closings.html?.v=2

15 stores to close and we are to believe what Frank Blake responded to the question about ASM's
How very sad so many people unemployed because of the number 2 retailer!!!

88 months ago

Sheba1 in Wheeling, West Virginia said: Xanex10 - would ya tell me where these other boards are. Thank you much.

orangebloodbank is one, yahoo and aol have them as well. Go to google and search out Home Depot message boards. I found another one today and will have to get back to you on that one

88 months ago

HRM Indiana in Kentucky said: We had a meeting with all our DH'S yesterday. So I guess this is happening everywhere. They try to keep everything hid, But there is always leaks. I would think they would get rid of the District Manages, and up the line of useless positions that can be handled by the stores Managers. I don't see any reason for keeping LPSM either since they never do their jobs. They could save a lot of money by getting rid of them. Our jobs are more important for HD but they don't care.

HRM Indiana - in your meeting yesterday did they address the ASM issue?

88 months ago

Sheba1 in Wheeling, West Virginia said: Xanex10 - would ya tell me where these other boards are. Thank you much.

I found the last one by googling home depot rumors - If I can find it again I will attach the link - it was the best one yet but I failed to bookmark it - had to run out to door for an appt. Have they formally told the asms yet - I do not want them blindsidedlike HR was! Store Managers - if you are reading this and this is true - start taking care of your people so they can find another job. If this is true, by now you surely know - no more BS!

lisey jensen in Schenectady, New York

88 months ago

Rumors said that they are closing 3 stores in Albany ( NY) area - those stores are NOT on the list of the 15 closing stores. They says that they are building a bigger one to replace the three they are closing. What kind of BS is that ?

88 months ago

Paul1947 in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania said: Unions will be happy to hear that all HR Managers will be fired.
Unions will be formed in the stores finally.

Well we shoud say that, if not union, may be something else to help us poor workers...

And not juste with THD

88 months ago

lisey jensen in Schenectady, New York said: Rumors said that they are closing 3 stores in Albany ( NY) area - those stores are NOT on the list of the 15 closing stores. They says that they are building a bigger one to replace the three they are closing. What kind of BS is that ?

The kind that fits nicely in the shovel that has been placed so firmly in their hands the last few months. Come on people - read the handwriting on the wall......or would you prefer to be hit on the head with the shovel?!

88 months ago

I agree 100 % with you, Xanex

What is going on in North Dakota - I mean : are they relocating workers in others stores ? They said it on the Wall Street Journal.

88 months ago

What can we do to help the workers ?

GoneTHDHRM in Tennessee

88 months ago

maliceinwonderland in New Orleans, Louisiana said: HomeDepotGuy, you make many assumptions which are unfair and biased. The only person playing "pseudo lawyer" here is you. We know Frank Blake didn't wake up one day and make this call. This has been in the works for at least eighteen months! The financial decline was evident, but it was a slow and insidious process. We HRM's have a valid point when speaking of legal action. When corporate reviewed the selection process, they could only assess liability from the known factors. What they could not possibly address was the outcome of each selection process. Some districts have only non-minority HR generalists, while other districts have no minority HR generalists. Are you saying this will not leave the door wide open for future EEOC litigation? I believe the last thing Home Depot wants is lawsuits. Can they actually afford any nationwide lawsuits right now? Additionally, how many juries would be sympathetic to Home Depot in this economic environment? Thousands laid off, food prices skyrocketing, gas prices unaffordable, housing market mess...I can understand a layoff, that's business. It's personal when you're qualified and denied an opportunity. They should have stuck to the internal staffing SOP and let the best man or woman win. If history repeats itself, as it usually does, Home Depot will have shot itself in the foot for not following it's own rules. HRM's should let their RHRVP and RVP know how they feel. No matter what anyone says, most of us were dedicated and deserve better than this!

Well said MaliceInWonderland!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I do think that all this stuff (info) is intentionally leaked.
I would love to hear from that guy Paul 1947. Bet he is Atlanta based HD executive. He never came back to this forum. Wonderin why myself.....He just said enought to get it goin..even the stuff about unions. From what my sister told me the ASMS are going to be handled the way the HRMS were. Like I said intentially leaked info. Bad business - violation of their own CORE VALUES>>>>oh well....have a nice night. I m going to a concert but will chat with you all again.

88 months ago

Just remember to be very careful what you say on here - we can state facts but nothing more. There are some who could jeopordize 2 months pay! As far as lawsuits go, this is not the forum to discuss -too many observers. Contact an employment attorney in the area where you live - only they are qualified to give you expert advice. Some will have a case - others will not. But say nothing that is not based on fact. In the meantime, given the amount of shoveling going on - we are okay - lol. Just remember - all who read this site are not our friends or are here to help....at least help us - the workers.

88 months ago

H2o in Atlanta, Georgia said: Any more news on replacing ASM's with Key carriers. Just got word in my district all DH's must be key carriers why is that are they thinking about replacing ASM's with key carriers DH associates. I bet it's coming down the pipeline regardless what Frank Blake says. Any truth to this.

I am hearing the same things as everyone else - but who knows. I am sure we can depend on HD upper management to keep us informed and tell us the truth. Hey - someone stole my shovel too!

worthlessHR Moreworthless in Sarasota, Florida

88 months ago

WHATEVER!

88 months ago

Hey Ouplaced HRMS, apply for unemployment now! My is aldready approved and they don't count the pay through June since it is a permanent separation. They said I will have my first check or debit card by May 14th. Just wanted to share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Sheba1 is correct we need to file unemployment now and register with the local workforce center. Don't wait until mid June. have it taken care of. If you find a job and don't need it then you don't need to claim it.

88 months ago

Hi Again, Plus this is our waiting week since it has May 1st in. If you wait till June you lose not only your waiting week but two months of UC. You can apply on line tonite and this will count as your waiting week. If you wait till Sun that begins a new week. By the way the concert was great. Tryen to relax...this has been stressful!

87 months ago

Sheba1 in Wheeling, West Virginia said: Hi Again, Plus this is our waiting week since it has May 1st in. If you wait till June you lose not only your waiting week but two months of UC. You can apply on line tonite and this will count as your waiting week. If you wait till Sun that begins a new week. By the way the concert was great. Tryen to relax...this has been stressful!

Hey Sheba - did they terminate you in the system - as of what date? I called the HR toll free number today - they said I was still employeed.

87 months ago

We are all supposed to be on "salary continuation" through the end of Jun which prevents collecting unemployment in many states, however, it doesn't stop you from being prepared paperwork and red tape wise for July 1. In Colorado you can't have both at the same time. Why not hold on to that option until later in case in this economy it is hard to save a job. I have heard so many horror stories of HR outsourced overseas.

I am taking a non orange vacation and resting from all the stress, lies, changing priorities and pathological liars who seem to work there. I'll let you know when I return from the Happiest Place on Earth!

gigilmun in tampa, Florida

85 months ago

Do they check your credit report on a background check for assistant managers?

85 months ago

what kind of background checks do they do oin assistant managers at home depot? do they check credit?

HRJO in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Hi! Why do you ask? Are you or have you applied for an ASM position?
Are you a previous SHRM w/ HD?

85 months ago

Well they appear to do what they want. The policy says one thing and it depends on the DM what they do. They have denied promotions to some and promoted others with the same background.
They aren't supposed to be doing the credit checks because they were losing too many internal promotions.

diane calverley in deltona, Florida

85 months ago

I have been a valued employee of Home Depot. Started as a part-time cashier. Worked my way to headcashier, service desk, answer phones, and was top lead generator for home depot when I left and relocated to Florida. Unfortunally none of the home depot are willing to take me in as an associate. This has been a real problem since we lost our HR. with out haveing Human Resources in stores the comunication is really lost.

85 months ago

I was an HRM w/Depot for 6 years and was disposed of as of April 30th. Did you inquire about a transfer before you relocated? If not, all bets are off... Store Managers are handling all HR duties now. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a HD interested in taking you. Where did you transfer from? First, money could be an issue because historically any transfers to Florida have to take a cost-of-living pay cut. Second, the lead generator position is non-existence or PT at best. Third, you probably had a regular schedule and that is quickly being eliminated in the stores so they have more flexibility in scheduling and positions.

85 months ago

I spoke to my store manager 3 months in advance. I took vacation and stayed with the company till the date I set with the store manager as agreed betowwe store manager. I was the first and brought in the most money to the store. I took a store from the bottom and people started to find out what I was doing. Other stores would send their Lead Genarators to my store to find out what I was doing for all the leads. Yes transfering is now a night mare and I was not making a lot with home depot to begin with.

85 months ago

Ok,when was your last day worked? You have 30 days to transfer w/out losing any seniority and to avoid going thru orientation again etc. I would suggest you start going into stores in your area and asking to speak to the SM or OPS ASM. Your best days are Mondays, they open, or Weds. when they close. You will have to be flexible about a position and schedule. Just get into a store... otherwise check out Lowes. They are always looking to hire ex-HD people or for that matter any retail store will hire you w/your HD experience-you are very marketable in the outside world!

85 months ago

I have all ready did that with no success. but I will get a job

85 months ago

HRJO in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania said: Hi! Why do you ask? Are you or have you applied for an ASM position?
Are you a previous SHRM w/ HD?

I am a key carrier department head, been one for 4yrs now, associate for almost 8yrs, and went to the rma tested high, already interviewd for an asm position, and a good chance i'll get the job, but i am currently enrolled in a debt relief program that does effect my credit, and was wondering if that would show up on the background check.

85 months ago

Hi! Sorry for the delayed reply, however, I'm happy to say I started my new job as a HR Director on Monday. They dropped credit checks on Associates 4 yrs. ago because they couldn't hire anyone. I know SMs that have declared bankruptcy and still have their jobs and they are in the best position to be tempted. If they do a credit check, they have to inform you and give you the results so you can challenge... that's the federal law-Fair Credit Act & Reporting etc. The last RMA I participated in (Dec 07-Jan 08 before the layoff) for new ASMs they didn't even do drug tests and no internal people signed and to the best of knowledge were subjected to a criminal bkgrd. check much less a credit check! They might still do it for SM and they definately do it for external hires. They are desperate for ASMs & DS and will overlook almost everything except a felony and positive drug test. Hope that helps... I think you're fine!

Terminated in Ocoee, Florida

84 months ago

If an associate is terminated, can they be rehired.. Customer threatened associate, (I will get you fired. ) does associate have any recourse...

Keima in Ellenville, New York

84 months ago

Do anyone know about HR assistant, Selection and staffing, Employment relations etc. job openings in New York City/ Nort Jersey.

I am almost finish with my HR certificate classes and need a job to get into soon.

Please someone if you can refer me, I'd appreciate it very much.

Have a Blessed joyous day!

84 months ago

Terminated in Ocoee, Florida said: If an associate is terminated, can they be rehired.. Customer threatened associate, (I will get you fired. ) does associate have any recourse...

Ok... First, what did you alledgedly do or say to prompt such a response from a customer? Second, a customer saying does not qualify as a threat ... a manager saying that, may or may not qualify as a threat depending on the circumstances. I need to know more before I can recommend any recourse or challenge based on wrongful discharge.

84 months ago

Customer came into store and asked to see information on 72" Vanities. Showed him all information I had. Gave him information and pricing.. Nothing that was shown was good enough. He complained that all merchandise shown was a piece of s--t. There was no way to satisfy this customer. I recomended he sign up for design service. no reply.. He never mentioned he was already a design customer. He had worked with 3 designers - 2 of which refused to work with him. Was told by department head - sell him what he wants and get him out of here.. (1 associate was also threatened..

84 months ago

First of all, the customer only complained - he do not threaten you - it happens every day in retail.

Were you fired? If so, why? Did you refuse to wait on the customer as instructed by your DS?

84 months ago

HRJQ Thanks for the reply... He did threaten me and another associate. Was told to leave the customer and return to my area of the department. He followed me and asked to speak to the f------ manager. Pounding his hand on the desk.. Other associate was told. " You know who I am" After being told that merchandise he ordered (by designer) would not work, he ordered it anayway... When it did not work, he returned it. Blaming design associate. Yes I was fired...or as the store manager stated - terminated..

84 months ago

You still have not told me "why" you were terminated. Second, you have not told me what this customer said that was a "threat" to you or the other Associate. Third, a customer swearing is inappropriate, but not a threat. Customers can order whatever they want - even after someone tells them it won't work.

84 months ago

HRJO in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania said: You still have not told me "why" you were terminated. Second, you have not told me what this customer said that was a "threat" to you or the other Associate. Third, a customer swearing is inappropriate, but not a threat. Customers can order whatever they want - even after someone tells them it won't work.

Fired for 2 issues - First - walking away from customer to answer phone and second for poor customer serevice.. Talking down to customer...Giving him wrong information concerning pricing..

84 months ago

Lot's of Luck w/ that or should I say "no luck". Don't know if you had any previous write-ups for Code of Conduct and/or performance. But regardless, policy clearly states you "don't ignore a customer" i.e. walk away to answer a phone call. The customer in the store is the priority. Second, policy clearly states "you are never to be rude/negative etc. to a customer or in your words "talk down to a customer". Lastly, giving a customer the wrong pricing is unfortunate but human mistake and not a terminable offense. It sounds like you're termination was "by the book" per HD Code of Conduct. You may not agree w/ their policies, however, you have to follow them as long as you are employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

frankster in AURORA, Colorado

83 months ago

Terminated in Ocoee, Florida said: HRJQ Thanks for the reply... He did threaten me and another associate. Was told to leave the customer and return to my area of the department. He followed me and asked to speak to the f------ manager. Pounding his hand on the desk.. Other associate was told. " You know who I am" After being told that merchandise he ordered (by designer) would not work, he ordered it anayway... When it did not work, he returned it. Blaming design associate. Yes I was fired...or as the store manager stated - terminated..

Don't know if you have had past compliants, but if not, head to EEOC office and file a complaint. Also there are numerous jobs out there that are much better than HD anyway. Walmart is hiring all over the place for about all positions. So is Best Buy. Look on workinretail.com. You'll be pleasently suprised.

frankster in AURORA, Colorado

83 months ago

Terminated in Ocoee, Florida said: Fired for 2 issues - First - walking away from customer to answer phone and second for poor customer serevice.. Talking down to customer...Giving him wrong information concerning pricing..

HRJO is giving you bad info. Sounds like a store manager to me. If you have only had two complaints, they will be hard pressed to justify getting rid of you unless they have always fired all other associates after only two complaints. ie. What if you have been an associate for ten years and these are the only complaints you have ever gotten? I can assure you that most of the associates in the store have had more complaints than that. EEOC will investigate at no cost to you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.