Health insurance information (help a disabled child!)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Mark P in Swampscott, Massachusetts

88 months ago

I have a 4 year old son with autism. Most health insurance plans don't cover autism treatment. (My wife and I will pay close to $40k this year for treatment.) This article (www.smartmoney.com/mag/index.cfm?story=june2007-autism) says that Home Depot is one of the few companies whose insurance plan covers autism treatment. I'm thinking about getting a second job at HD just to get the insurance. Before I do, I'd like to verify that HD insurance does cover autism treatment. Can anyone help me with information about the insurance plan? Who the insurance is through? Links to what is covered, etc.? Phone/email contact information for plan administration? Thanks so much for the help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shirazrose in Roann, Indiana

87 months ago

My son is 18 years old. He was in a near fatal car accident two years ago and has been undergoing several surgeries since. He had to drop out of this last semester of high school because he had missed so much. We were told the insurance carrier can drop him if he is out of school 89 consecutive days. Is that true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Veracious in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

To the first guy who created the thread: the autism is a preexisting condition and a lot of the treatment will not be covered. But HDs insurance is excellent and will cover maintainence type treatments. To Shiraz: you were told correctly. Because your adult dependent is now not in school, they have every right to drop you.

Mark P in Swampscott, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Veracious...thanks for the response. Coverage for "maintenance type treatments" would be better than what we have now. Are you an HD employee now? If so, would you be willing to share some information about HD's insurance (per my original post)? Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

homersnotfair in Florida

86 months ago

Mark P in Swampscott, Massachusetts said: Veracious...thanks for the response. Coverage for "maintenance type treatments" would be better than what we have now. Are you an HD employee now? If so, would you be willing to share some information about HD's insurance (per my original post)? Thanks again.

You actually need to have someone from MA reply as coverage varies in each area, in Florida it varies depending on your county even. Good Luck

EyesWideOpen in Hoover, Alabama

86 months ago

I work in Benefits Orientation at the SSC (Corporate) and the information you were given was correct. Although some coverage differs depending on the division/region/city you live in, there are several constants that do not change company wide. I would be happy to help you with the information you need, but I am unwilling to do it with all the downers that seem to be present on this site. I can only guess that they've been slighted in some way or another, but it can't always be traced back to the company. No matter where you work, sometimes bad things just happen, yes, even within someone's control. I worked my way up from a part time associate making minimum wage to where I am right now. I went to school and made something of myself and Home Depot did not ignore my achievements. If you genuinely would like information about the Home Depot, let me know and I will contact you privately:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

cynthia p in Fairview, North Carolina

74 months ago

I would also love some information on this, specifically if it covers Applied Behavior Analysis treatments for autism, and how many hours would I have to work to be able to have this coverage? I have a 5 year old with autism and I am looking for insurance coverage for his autism treatments, specifically ABA. I read that Home Depot does cover this--but looking at the website there are tons of plans and it is confusing which one would cover this. Thanks!

Jim Jim in Ypsilanti, Michigan

69 months ago

Did you ever have any luck with this or receive any details?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.