The Home Depot: You Can Do It, We'll Steal It From You

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

davemundy in Texas City, Texas

94 months ago

THE HOME DEPOT: YOU CAN DO IT, WE’LL STEAL IT FROM YOU

LEAGUE CITY, TX (March 10) – A man who helped lead his store in rebuilding Galveston County in the wake of Hurricane Ike plans to file a complaint against The Home Depot because the big-box retail giant won’t pay him the bonus he feels he deserves.
Dave Mundy, 50, of Texas City, took over as the lumber and building materials department supervisor at Home Depot Store 1853 in League City, Texas, only days before Hurricane Ike struck the Houston area. In the months following the storm, the massive amounts of sales in Mundy’s departments helped the store achieve a $9 million profit above planned sales for the fourth quarter of FY 2008, resulting in a “double-bonus” for department supervisors for the period ending Jan. 31.
Mundy won’t be getting that bonus, however -- because he quit in frustration Feb. 18. The money which would have been his, by his estimate something in the vicinity of $4,000, will instead be shared by senior management within the company – the same senior management responsible for the staffing formula which led to Mundy walking out.
“All I want is what I earned,” said Mundy, a veteran of eight years in the retail industry who also spent more than 20 years in the newspaper business. “What’s fair is fair.”
Mundy claims that on Feb. 18, he was trying to cover the extremely busy lumber and building materials departments by himself because the “staffing formula” for his store did not call for additional associates in those departments. A customer needed a load of fence pickets forklifted into his vehicle, and when Mundy called on his walkie-talkie for a spotter – required by Home Depot policy as a safety measure – he got no response elsewhere in the store. After calling several times over 15 minutes, Mundy got on the forklift and took care of the customer – who was so grateful, he even slipped a $2 tip into Mundy’s shirt pocket despite his objections.
He was then informed by the store

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

sandeigoflethcer in san diego, California

94 months ago

I am sure that the end of the story is that you were fired for a safety violation?
Home Depot has a new approach to eliminating age and wage. I know you fall into the age group.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.