Home Depot only lets you start as a cashier?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Orchid in Aiken, South Carolina

32 months ago

I was in a store recently (not Home Depot) and I overheard two other people talking. One was a woman who works at Home Depot. She told her friend (or whoever it was) that Home Depot only hires outside people as cashiers. You can't get any other positions unless you start as a cashier and get hired/moved/promoted from within. Is this true? If so, I guess I won't bother applying for the group of "office" positions on their website anymore.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Sweetpea in Mesa, Arizona

31 months ago

That is what I have been wondering, because I have alot of experience in some of the departments and I have only been hired for cashier. The pay is less than other associates and the work is brutal.

The hardest part is the lack of support or respect for being a cashier. Also, while you are sweating away as the only cashier at a register, the other self check out cashiers are talking and goofing around. It's great for moral.

So, to answer your question: yes, you will only start as cashier particularly if you are female or a man over 50.

Sorry, but that has been my experience.

Reply - Report abuse

JayAlastair in Poughkeepsie, New York

31 months ago

I actually got accepted as a pt cashier at my local Home Depot and I'm not a female or a man over 50 but I have little work experience so that could be the reason why I was hired as a cashier.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.