Home Depot?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Rah in Venice, Florida

8 months ago

I am a "New" Old Guy (60) PT Cashier. A Manager my entire Career, haven't punched a clock in 40 years. Especially for such low wages. It seems that there is really no future here. I am not yet retired. I had hoped to move into at least a floor Sales position, in an area of expertise, Hardware, Tools, Lumber, Lighting. I am now being told that my "Metrics" are not measuring up. I really could not care less about metrics. I'd rather have correctrics! Should I just bow out now? I was out of work for 2 years. This seems like a thumb in the eye as opposed to a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, and barely nothing is still a bit better than nothing at all. Anything here sound familiar? Most management seem very supportive, but it also seems that there is little mobility and PT is not and will not pay my Mtg. Thoughts? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sweetpea in Mesa, Arizona

5 months ago

Rah, I am also a new cashier with experience in several different departments. They insisted I start as a cashier.

It is grueling and hard work to stand and check customers out all day especially when the customers are angry or rude. The management does not support us and when I asked for help with things on the register my 23 year old supervisor told me: "stop doubting yourself so much, you can figure it out for yourself." I told him, "uh, I am not 'doubting myself,' I don't know how to do something and that is different."

In other words, don't ask for help and don't expect any. Plus, you must smile and push credit applications as well as extended warantees. Customers get very angry when I do that and so since I would rather have happy customers I don't push them. I wanted a part-time job to pay some bills but I am so unhappy I come home demoralized and angry and then I don't have the energy to do my regular part-time job.

It is also frustrating to know that I am busting a hump as a poorly treated (by management and customers) cashier, which associates making alot more than me are just shifting around talking about how bored they are.

I don't think I can take this much longer, I am getting too angry to be able to do a decent job. I am going to find a 'politically correct' way to leave this job as soon as I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

5 months ago

Sweetpea in Mesa, Arizona said: Rah, I am also a new cashier with experience in several different departments. They insisted I start as a cashier.

It is grueling and hard work to stand and check customers out all day especially when the customers are angry or rude. The management does not support us and when I asked for help with things on the register my 23 year old supervisor told me: "stop doubting yourself so much, you can figure it out for yourself." I told him, "uh, I am not 'doubting myself,' I don't know how to do something and that is different."

In other words, don't ask for help and don't expect any. Plus, you must smile and push credit applications as well as extended warantees. Customers get very angry when I do that and so since I would rather have happy customers I don't push them. I wanted a part-time job to pay some bills but I am so unhappy I come home demoralized and angry and then I don't have the energy to do my regular part-time job.

It is also frustrating to know that I am busting a hump as a poorly treated (by management and customers) cashier, which associates making alot more than me are just shifting around talking about how bored they are.

I don't think I can take this much longer, I am getting too angry to be able to do a decent job. I am going to find a 'politically correct' way to leave this job as soon as I can.

Retail and restaurant work is sheer Hell. I have done both. Just hanging in until I can collect Social Security and live off of everybody else.

Rah in Venice, Florida

5 months ago

Sweetpea. I did quit. I wasn't getting anywhere near the 29 hrs./Pt. Time. I worked the self check out a good bit and enjoyed it. No Metrics, No Credit pushing. 4 registers, time went quickly. I got offered another, full time gig, and just after training for it, my Disability came through. (1 year trying) I had to quit that too. Now I am trying to get my old Gig back at HD. The small Hrs. now fit right in with my ability to earn and stay under the Disability Cap. Sheesh, the dang timing was off by a month! Good Luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.