Just got fired yesterday from Home Depot!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 208)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

SayNoToDepot in Avon, Ohio

80 months ago

This will be good therapy for me...
I worked for Home Depot for 4 1/2 years...New Dept. Head was hired in, New Store Manager past 6 months...they decided to "clean house" nothing you can do because of the "at will" law in Ohio...Literally "fire" at will...you don't need a single reason why...In short I was making pretty good money as a kitchen designer $17.00 an hour..my reviews were always good and had excellent customer comments...I was third in "dollars per hour" among my peers....not bad, just not as good as theirs...this dept. head sat me down for the first write up which was rediculous...a few months went by, then a few days ago they told me to come into the office...since my first write up they added three more, which I wasn't even aware of, more crazy accusations....then I was "in there sights"...then a few days after that they called me into the Loss Prevention office and charged me with leaving the store property, which I did to go get coffee, they said it wasn't company policy to leave the property during breaks...everyone I knew did it so I never questioned it..worked retail all my life...it didn't surprise me...Only work there if, you're part time, a college student, or a retired person that has to get out of the house...not a good place to consider it a career type job...Think about it, they don't lay off at Home Depot,they harass you until you quit or transfer to another store, or they fire you.. I was making about 30,000 a year, fire me and nine other workers at the same pay scale, you just saved the company over $300,000..if you do work there, memorize the associate handbook, or "My Apron" as they call it and pray that you don't do anything wrong...oh, it wouldn't hurt to "kiss a lot of ass..."

Talk to friends and relatives that may have worked at a Home Depot...Home Depot may have been a good place in the past but I think times have changed..

think twice about the Big Orange Box!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (521) / No (131) Reply - Report abuse

tarheel00 in Batavia, Ohio

80 months ago

If you worked there for 4+ years, you should know that you can't leave the property while you are on the clock. That is told to new associates at Orientation. Don't blame other people for the fact that you broke a clearly written and explained rule!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (244) / No (350) Reply - Report abuse

tarheel00 in Batavia, Ohio

79 months ago

Wow...you're misinformed and insulting. Yes, I do work for HD, and you clearly do not know the policy. SOP does not, in any way, state that you can not leave the store (to go outside or to your car). The policy is very clear that you can not leave the property, when on the clock, unless it is for company business. One can only wonder what other policies you were unable to understand.
As for your personal attack, I feel no need to respond. Good luck in your future employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (133) / No (248) Reply - Report abuse

James1963 in Parlin, New Jersey

68 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: You do get 3 strikes before you're fired, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the same offense, it could be 2 lates and 1 failure to provide customer service, or 2 no call no shows, it depends, some things you get only 1 strike, like safety violation or theft of any kind (hours, money, merchandise) it's really not any different than any other job, unfortunately most of the posts here are from disgruntled former employees who are bitter at HD when they should kick themselves in the but for screwing up and giving them a verifiable reason to terminate them. As for me, I'm very happy with the HD and the way they treat their employees, so if you are a job seeker, don't let these bitter morons affect your opinion of this company...

Not anymore. I dont know what store you work at but I have known many ppl to be written up for several things and nothing has happened. Its all who you know. there isnt one store consistent with another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Valiant in Salem, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Home Depot employees are generally lazy, unproductive kids (even the immature ones in their 50s) who are looking for a free ride. I've been working for HD for 8 years. I don't kiss ass, but I do bust my ass for my money. I'm being paid better than I would at any other retail (besides Lowe's, they pay the same), and continue to get raises (if not promotions), even though I know the store manager doesn't like me. The reason they can't fire me is because I come in on time, don't have excessive call-outs, and do my job while I'm there.

The only employees who really get dumped on/fired are the ones who come in late/leave early/call out excessively, can't be found even when they're on the clock, don't do what they're paid to do, etc.

In other words, you may think you're being smart, not getting caught as you bend the rules, but you're not as smart as you think. In fact, you self-titled "hard workers" are pretty damn obvious to the rest of us, never mind the managers. If you're doing/not doing something that makes my job harder, I'll report it. And don't think I'm a kiss-ass. I'm here for the money, not for making friends. I've told my own friends the same thing, "We may be friends, but as soon as I hit that clock at work, don't expect any favors from me. If you jeopardize my job, I'll turn you in faster than you can talk your way out of it."

They can give you the choice of going part-time, if you plead your case, but they don't have to.

There's only one person I work with who was there when I started at this store. Everyone else, including the managers, are newbs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (63) Reply - Report abuse

Message to Home Depot

63 months ago

Long term thanks for the post. If you search under "Home Depot Forum" on the internet there are a number of posts with stories like you mention. There are a large number of them on Topix. Yes there are ALOT of stories about the selective enforcement of policies. If you search YouTube under "Message to Home Depot" there are a group of associates speaking out against the very same thing you mention. I personally have seen the internal corruption on so many levels. I use the word corruption because if you look at the meaning of corruption ....that is exactly what you have at home depot in respect to the enforcing of policies. Policies are enforced and not enforced as a way to maintain the status quo and ensure the fiefdoms are maintained. There are LOTS of home depot managers with similar stories but sadly the law favors the corporations. The root of all this and the reason for this blatant selective enforcement of policies is because from ASM up to Divisional president your have endemic corruption that effects the application of policy, discrimination in hiring and promoting and sexism. This is why the only thing that will protect current employees is to work together and organize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

63 months ago

Message to Home Depot said: Long term thanks for the post. If you search under "Home Depot Forum" on the internet there are a number of posts with stories like you mention. There are a large number of them on Topix. Yes there are ALOT of stories about the selective enforcement of policies. If you search YouTube under "Message to Home Depot" there are a group of associates speaking out against the very same thing you mention. I personally have seen the internal corruption on so many levels. I use the word corruption because if you look at the meaning of corruption ....that is exactly what you have at home depot in respect to the enforcing of policies. Policies are enforced and not enforced as a way to maintain the status quo and ensure the fiefdoms are maintained. There are LOTS of home depot managers with similar stories but sadly the law favors the corporations. The root of all this and the reason for this blatant selective enforcement of policies is because from ASM up to Divisional president your have endemic corruption that effects the application of policy, discrimination in hiring and promoting and sexism. This is why the only thing that will protect current employees is to work together and organize.

Have to disagree with you Mr. Union thug, at our store very few people get term'd that didn't see it coming by way of warnings and write-ups. The system is in place to weed out the associates who don't pull their own weight, or are a negative influence on overall store morale. Yes there is a bit of selective enforcement, but it's for the good of all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

Message to Home Depot

63 months ago

In respect to what you said about pushing a button to make someone disappear, you are wrong in this regard: we know that a manager can easily ensure an associate is “promoted to customer”, terrible reviews, low raises, keep them under a microscope and it sends that associate the message “you are not one of the IN crowd”. Look around at the posts Brother…there are examples of that everywhere. Pull the EEOC filings for your area they are FULL of this EXACT thing!!! Search the internet for Home Depot horror stories they could fill 10,000 pages. I respect the fact that you had to work your ass off to become an assistant manager, and we know that you are often working VERY long hours, but please do not forget all the craziness that you saw on your way up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Message to Home Depot on youtube

62 months ago

Additioanally..... look around my friend. Look at the home depot forum on topix

There are literally THOUSANDS of posts there and online about the terrible treatment the associates have recieved at the hands of home depot management. Home Depot executives have the information but clearly they simply DO NOT CARE. These associates are good people that deserve better. They have worked hard for it and they are working together in larger and larger numbers to make things better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

So your justificatin for the blatant imbalance in the hiring and promotion pattern at Home Depot against a racial group is because certain groups "don't fit in"?? Are you serious?? Your argument in support of the well documented and well established poor hiring policies at Home Depot are not backed up by the facts. Search online anywhere and you will see blatant examples of how imbalanced he hiring, promotion and firing is at Home Depot. Union is the only way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

retiredhd in hoffman estates, Illinois

62 months ago

In reply to no union at HD in Virginia. I spent my 4 years in the military did you? I am white college graduate male over 65 and no longer at Home Deephole due to the deplorable working conditions. I had 5 years of very good or outstanding reviews, did my job well, and enjoyed the stocking and helping customers. The salary was adequate for a retired guy just looking for something challenging to do and using past experience to help people. What was not tenable was the management by intimidation, the kiss ass club (a mindless group of followers), and the blatant discrimination against females, minorities, over 40 employees, and intelligent people. No union at HD in Virginia says "In my area African Americans do not like to work"; spoken like a true HD racist dumbass! IN a unionized Home Depot people with your attitude will be out the door and byebye!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

retiredhd in hoffman estates, Illinois said: In reply to no union at HD in Virginia. I spent my 4 years in the military did you? I am white college graduate male over 65 and no longer at Home Deephole due to the deplorable working conditions. I had 5 years of very good or outstanding reviews, did my job well, and enjoyed the stocking and helping customers. The salary was adequate for a retired guy just looking for something challenging to do and using past experience to help people. What was not tenable was the management by intimidation, the kiss ass club (a mindless group of followers), and the blatant discrimination against females, minorities, over 40 employees, and intelligent people. No union at HD in Virginia says "In my area African Americans do not like to work"; spoken like a true HD racist dumbass! IN a unionized Home Depot people with your attitude will be out the door and byebye!
Bravo my friend!! Well said. I humbly thank you for your service to our great country and making a sacrifice of 4 years to defend freedom and democracy that way to many take for granted. God bless and have a great holiday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

no union at HD in Virginia

62 months ago

Fix HD what company next? When is enough, enough. When did America breed so many thin skinned, take business so personal individuals? You are telling me in your AD time frame you could not ride someone hard at work and then go and have a beer with that individual? Or perhaps someone rode you would you call that person and @s$ and only respect the rank?
Now to the union. Did the union keep the big three automakers CEOs from receiving a bonus? Did the union keep Chrysler from being bought out by Fiat? Bad management will still protect bad workers even in a Union. More positions will not be created just because you have a union. If the position is not there the position is not there. Will you be happy to be promoted just because of the union, will it make you feel accomplished, even if the other individual was more qualified and had more family and worked hard and had better reviews but you got it because you were in the Union. Would that make you feel good? You are in the Union clique does that make you different than the clique of management that already exists? Will the cost of union fees for the cashiers be of the same percentage as it is for hourly employees that have been there over 10 years? With all Government involvement we have now can DC really afford more lobbying? Will you strike in CA if FL has a hurricane and receives a bonus because of the sales? Will the customer be happy when someone shuts down a cashier line because union demands they receive more than one 15 min break every four hours. Would the union fight for me to be able to keep my FICA tax and let me invest it myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

retiredhd in hoffman estates, Illinois said: In reply to no union at HD in Virginia. I spent my 4 years in the military did you? I am white college graduate male over 65 and no longer at Home Deephole due to the deplorable working conditions. I had 5 years of very good or outstanding reviews, did my job well, and enjoyed the stocking and helping customers. The salary was adequate for a retired guy just looking for something challenging to do and using past experience to help people. What was not tenable was the management by intimidation, the kiss ass club (a mindless group of followers), and the blatant discrimination against females, minorities, over 40 employees, and intelligent people. No union at HD in Virginia says "In my area African Americans do not like to work"; spoken like a true HD racist dumbass! IN a unionized Home Depot people with your attitude will be out the door and byebye!

no, you are miss informed a union can not fire me without reason. As long as I come in on time and do my work, nothing. They have to give reason that is the one good thing that would come of a union.
Remember bad managers protect bad workers. A clique is still a clique. Do you think a union clique will be different than a non union clique? A union clique allows you to buy into it, with a small fee of course.
Now, what deplorable conditions did you work in? At HD? I met some deplorable customers when I was there, but conditions?
I hazard to guess with your age you were in the military during vietnam? How was your time at HD more deplorable than boot camp during that time frame? I respect most of your generation, your generation by far was the last great one. Today, we are greedy Americans that think we have to have the $60000 car and $300 pair of shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

NU..I hear you and thank you also for your service. Home Depot is not the military my friend and there are issues that your posts continue to ignore and the facts support: Home Depot's blatantly unfair employment practices are a matter of record. With all that said...if you are no longer at depot and don't have a horse in the race...why are supporting an pattern of established poor hiring and promotion processes? What is your motivation to repeat the anti-union propaganda that is right out of the Home Depot Managers playbook? A union will be the only way the 322,000 associates will have a voice. A simple look around at this board and online you will find 1,000's of home depot employee horror stories. Union is the only way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

My friend you have not answered my questions either. I dislike unions and I love my country and that is what I have in this. When the concept of Unions came to light, our country and our people needed it. The conditions were deplorable. People were treated unfairly, but now, what is truly unfair? If you were asked to sweep the lot because a windstorm blew in and it was not in your job description would that be unfair, or just good business?
You tell me that my anti-union stance is straight out of a playbook; it is propaganda. Why is my anti stance propaganda and your union stance not? I hear nothing but propaganda from you. Leading the people that have been hurt by SOME of the company but not ALL of the company, into believing that getting the union in will help them remove unwanted individuals from HD; i.e. bad managers, bad associates. It would be harder to remove them from the store at that point. A union will not come in and say, “Since the general population feel that you are a bad manager, before the union comes in we will fire you, so we can have an Ideal Union association.” Those managers that cause problems will remain and will be even harder to get rid of. You have them thinking they were seriously mistreated and they deserve to be compensated for it. What is mistreatment in business? I believe sexual harassment is without a doubt. I believe throwing the race card to keep a job is mistreatment, too. Having someone climb into the compactor not only mistreatment but also OSHA violation.
What do you stand to gain from getting a Union in? How much of $15/hour will go to the union, $5, $6 per hour? That would leave $10/hour for the associate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

There is overwhelming support for the union. I understand you dislike unions. That is very apparent but I think where you show your hand my friend is in this regard. Your dislike for unions and your vociferous anti-union stance is from the position of someone that is either a home depot employee or not. If you are an manager then your position makes considerably more sense. I think most on this board looking at your posts will conclude your staunch anti-union position in a Home Depot board must be motivated by something. There are numerous union discussion in 100’s of indeed posts for other companies but you are keenly interested (with all due respect) in Home Depot. Why? You opinion is welcomed, valued and respected greatly but I don’t see how if you are not a manager or employee …currently…how you can claim to know anything about the horrible current condition of the current state at Home Depot. We though, ….are keenly aware of the current state of employ for the hourly workers at home depot and as you can see by the boards and posts, current employees do not share your views in any way. We have researched the long list of EEOC filings and the shocking position home depot has taken by not providing its OWN shareholders the demographic information of their managers the shareholders have SPECIFICALLY requested about the hiring, promotion and firing statics since 2001. As of late…they have not provided it. To answer your question: what is truly unfair? To hire and promote one group over another simply because a small number of people are in the position to do so is wrong. Period. To answer your other question….my position is based on facts. The facts about the hiring practices of Home Depot as a company. My position I respectfully submit is to let those that are not being treated well that there is an option that THEY have asked for and has been long due.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

This option I might say has a ground swell of support by associates as you can see by the 1,000’s of posts on this board a numerous others. As with all positions, I respect yours but I don’t think many of the Home Depot workers that are underpaid, underappreciated, and overworked will agree. As your lengthy service has earned you the respect this holiday and our national thanks please have a great and safe rest of the holiday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I see more customer complaints on HD than I see assoc. complaints. Getting in a union will make all those horrible untrained individuals that customers complain about never leave. They will be the same ones every time you go in HD. They will stand around because no one will question them if they are union. They will do no work and get paid an inflated amount of wages. It is embarrasing to me as an American to see the Inflated sense of self that people have now. It will not change and Union will take money from the workers for the same results.

HD is a retail store it is all about the customers. Explain to me how you think a union will help the customer? The customer is what makes HD a fortune 500.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Big Labor has fought since the beginning of modern government to literally control how much workers make and how those wages are reinvested in furthering the goals of the union. The idea of collective bargaining - the act of a central representative force for the workers - is the result of that endeavor. Big Labor has managed over the course of decades to 'collective bargain' U.S. jobs right out of the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

No greater an example can be made of this than the U.S. auto industry.
Today the big 3 auto makers have had to increasingly divert funds for development of new vehicle technologies into picking up the slack that collective bargaining has created in worker payrolls. While other countries successfully began auto industries of their own - free of unions - U.S. automakers were held captive to the demands of Big Labor. So payrolls rose, engineering excellence decreased and BAM! The next thing you know, Japan is the world leader in not only cost effective vehicle manufacturing, but in quality as well.
There are as many laws preventing and slowing down solar or wind farms as there are preventing oil wells. Furthermore, Big Labor under the pretense of protecting the environment has perverted environmental laws in order to insure that union workers are the only workers that get to build these massive projects. Through environmental extortion, also known as "Greenmail", unions threaten to hold up energy-related construction projects until the authorizing entity signs a union-only Project Labor Agreement.
Democrats, in case you were unaware, are the party most closely aligned and beholden to both Big Labor and the Enviro-lobby.
If you don’t think it is about polotics you are mistaken. That is what I have in this. NO, I would never be an ASM. After 22 yrs AD, you question my ability to manage. NO, I don not work anymore at HD! I did, for over 5 years. I saw the change going on for three years and jumped a sinking ship after all it was only supplemental pay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

those last two were completly plagerized. Thank you Kevin D. Korenthal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

becky in New Orleans, Louisiana

62 months ago

I think it is about time these characters quit talking about unions pertaining on this site.It is I assume that this site was about employees getting fired at Home Depot,not unions or non-unions.Neither one as I see it aren't making much sense pertaining to unions.Sorry,but I had to get my two cents in as this conversation has lost it's interest.I think it is about time to get back to what this site is all about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Longterm in Pennsylvania

62 months ago

They are not there to help the customers, they are there to help the employees. If the employees are not getting $#@%&* everyday. They will be happy and better customer service for all. How many times did you read that they are unhappy because of the customers. NEVER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

no union at HD in Virginia said: No greater an example can be made of this than the U.S. auto industry.
Today the big 3 auto makers have had to increasingly divert funds for development of new vehicle technologies into picking up the slack that collective bargaining has created in worker payrolls. While other countries successfully began auto industries of their own - free of unions - U.S. automakers were held captive to the demands of Big Labor. So payrolls rose, engineering excellence decreased and BAM! The next thing you know, Japan is the world leader in not only cost effective vehicle manufacturing, but in quality as well.
There are as many laws preventing and slowing down solar or wind farms as there are preventing oil wells. Furthermore, Big Labor under the pretense of protecting the environment has perverted environmental laws in order to insure beholden to both Big Labor and the Enviro-lobby.
If you don’t think it is about polotics you are mistaken. That is what I have in this. NO, I would never be an ASM. After 22 yrs AD, you question my ability to manage. NO, I don not work anymore at HD! I did, for over 5 years. I saw the change going on for three years and jumped a sinking ship after all it was only supplemental pay

Thank you for wording so well what i've been trying to get across. I think when people hear the truth about unions instead of the lies about getting rights and bigger paychecks, they'll agree with us. The fact is there are so many labor laws now to protect the workers that unions are obsolete. They exist only to push political agendas and extort from companies and blue collar workers. They are the text book definition of a parasite, "an entity who draws life from another entity without providing anything in return, until that entity is dead."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

LONGTERM: If you are unhappy with current management the Union DOES NOT chage mangaement before they come in. There are more and more cases of Union reps not standing up for an employee during a disciplinary review boards and allowing the employee to be fired. Unless you are able to punch the clock on time, not 1 min late or 1 min early for any punches, they can fire you on time. You don't dot all your "i's" or cross all your "t's" the same bad management team can fire you. All that has to be provided to the union is a reason why. All the extra $ that you put into a pention will be kept by the union.
allow me to spell out why I brought up customrs; customers don't like the way HD is now as well as associates don't like how HD is now. So the associates and the customers are on the same page neither of you like management at HD. HD relys on customers for sales. HD relys on associates to do their job. Associates jobs revolve around serving customers. If the bad associates and management don't do their job to serve the customers and bad management make good associates go away, the customer goes away to. Without customers HD doesn't make any sales, which sales bring money to HD. HD files bankruptcy and no more jobs for good or bad associates and managers. Again unions don't remove bad management or bad associates before they come in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

Longterm in Pennsylvania

62 months ago

However,the Union will keep them in check. Who are the gate keepers? Who are watching out for the employees? So what you are saying is to continue to let them weed out who they say are bad seeds. If this is the case then we don't need HR. Most of them are gone anyway. I think that the employees need someone or somebody to be their voice on issues. They don't as of today. How about we just sit back and just let it happen. How about we just not say anything and just take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

What a union will do is simple. Currently the major issues with the hiring and unfair promotion patterns that are a matter of record are ignored by management. They hold all the cards and they don't really care. A union will give the 300,000 hourly associates a voice. Now you have none. This is why the internet and the EEOC are filled with the thing that has unionized labor for a 100's of years; poor treatment of labor by management. Period. I think anyone reading this that is an hourly associate is going to conclude that the problems exist. Say what you will but that fact remains that the company of executives and managers are living large on the large margins in the stores at the expense of their hourly associates which get on average $10-11 per hour. Oh…and also masterspec the average increase in your area from associate to department supervisor is just under a dollar. Your statement does not reflect what happens throughout the region and is at best an example of if (as another poster said) you “fit in”. Additionally the promotion rate for minorities and women is appalling in your region and state. A union is the only way to get the issues with the managers and craziness addressed. Longterm is correct and the facts support it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

What is a fact is this: associates from cost to cost are smart enough to separate the truth from propaganda. The ground swell of support for collective bargaining is based on the documented poor hiring and promotion standards that plague home depot coast to coast. The associates want change that only a union can provide. Say want you want but none of us on this board created the situation. Most very much feel that the treatment of hourly associates is terrible and unjust. Most know that the $10-$11 hour hourly wage is terrible when average stores are generating 25-30% margins. To verify the profitability of your store simply ask the computer room for the most recent P&L. Many associates will be shocked at the profitability of their stores. Then ask what the average increase was last cycle for all the associates in their store. Most associates will be shocked at this number. It is sadly very low. Finally for associates reading this post ask you r store management what is the payroll % to sales. These will all help to illustrate why it is important to get informed. Home Depot brothers and sisters those are your numbers that you should know. Get informed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Longterm in Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Base for ASM's start at about $55,000. I made about $81,000. That was with bonuse. When the SS checks come in the employees get from $25.00 to a few $100. We got about $5,000 - $10,000 befor taxes, if not more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Longterm in Pennsylvania

62 months ago

I ask you this , do you think HD cares how may jobs they cost? How many people loose their home? health care? they don't! I was in operations and I can tell you that every penny saved will line the managers pockets. Every hour left on the books will line the manager's pockets. They want to save money at any cost and that includes you! The more money saved on the P&L the more money the managers make. The employee get their SS check from sales. The managers get the check from sales also, however the biggest percent is from the P&L. You can miss sales and the employees will not get SS checks, but the manager can still get one for making profit. One thing we do watch is payroll (hours) if you are under hours all year long you will make your P&L. There is alot people don't know that would piss alot of you off that think you know. People wonder why they are so short in their departments. If you only knew.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Longterm I know what you mean in regards to the scheduler and the hours that get cut. I worked along side the scheduler. What a pain to have coverage and still not have @$$ handed to you about going over. Having DH complain about coverage and people pulling in all directions. Management does get better bonuses that hour associate. It was very aggrevating. But that further pulls in my point of inflated wages. If you inflate the wages and give bigger bonuses to hour associates that do not have tech. training of any kind and are straight HS graduate they will never dig down and try to be better. If it is handed to them over and over what will is there to have the satisfaction in getting there because you did your job. Nothing gives a better feeling that to accomplish something that other wise looked impossible at the beginning.

Theodore H. White, author of Fire in the Ashes: Europe in Mid-Century,"Socialism is the belief and the hope that by proper use of government power, men can be rescued from their helplessness in the wild cycling cruelty of depression and boom."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

The real 'believers' in Socialism are the elites who know that if they can get people to let their thinking be dictated by others, it is only the next logical step that a few people can control the minds of everyone else

Under Socialism, a small group of elites control, and profit from, the labor and wealth of the system. This is the true face of Socialism: The group OWNS the individual. This means that any action taken "for the greater good" is by definition, justified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

America, until the last 4 years was a generation behind Europe in its adoption of the welfare state and state unionism
With the 2006 takeover of congress by the Democrats America has nearly caught up with Europe's impending collapse. 4 short years is all it took to move America from incipient socialism to full blown socialism. Like every socialist state in history, our collapse is rapidly approaching too

By law, the union becomes the exclusive representative for all of the employees. individuals are PREVENTED from attempting to negotiate for themselves if they think they can get a better schedule or payscale. They may not pursue a grievance or complaint on their own ; the union representative has the right to be present even if the employee does not want them there
THE UNION IS NOT CONTRACTUALLY LIABLE TO THE WORKERS. ITS PROMISES ARE NOT LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE.
The union sets the dues

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Most know that the $10-$11 hour hourly wage is terrible when average stores are generating 25-30% margine.

Not all store profit! If the union give raises across the board based on a "25% profit" what of those store that don't profit. Let me guess, you'll take money from another store? Eventually you will run into a deficit. Somethings gotta give, will it be the union dues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Actually they're in line with every other fortune 500 retailer out there moron, they're not special. Whenever theres a huge corporation, there are vultures looking for a quick payoff. Cmon eeoc? whites are the minority in my store and every store in my district. How much more eeoc do you need?

the store I worked at the HR bragged about having 13 countries represented. We had two African American female ASM's, the LP was African American, our reg. HR was African American Female.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

retiredhd in hoffman estates, Illinois said: Masterspec 101 in california---You are calling people morons---This shows your level of intelligence!!! Name calling and intimidation is a top tool in home deepholes small bag of tricks. Are you a LIFER at home deephole because you appear well indoctrinated in their tactics. You apear to be part of the problem not part of the solution. NO union at HD we know from your prior posts that you are a racist, a bigot, and a continual poster and this is not name calling it is based on fact. It appears you now are going to give this board a lesson in retail economics through continuous rants. Truth is Home Depot is a very profitable retailer in spite of a very tough economy. Like a large bully, they are kicking the crap out of the lower level employees, because they can not because they need too. Not all unions are the same as not all companies are the same. Home deephole employees need to find a good union to control a bad company.

I'm a bigot because I say BS to repression? When my daughter has a statment in her High School student planner that states; "we will pay extra attention to African American males to insure the success of their education." They get more chances, why? The same state school system that brought you Michael Vick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Home Depot Ace in Marina Del Rey, California

62 months ago

No Union...I am not sure if you are really a Home Depot Manager but your posts really make managers and the company look terrible. Your arguments are incoherent and blatantly do not reflect well on you and Home Depot. If you are a Home Depot manager (and I really hope to god you are not), I would review your SOP and reflect a bit more on the values that you espouse to support. Your posts are in poor taste and as someone (me) with TONS of depot management experience are extremely embarrassing. Your rants (and I am being considerably more polite and civil than you have been to other posters) are a complete affront on common sense, civility, tolerance and fairness. You have LONG since lost any credibility in defense of the company position and now are simply adding insult to injury by continuing your rambling diatribes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Why would you even think I'm a manager at HD. REALLY I'm NOT! I won't even step foot into a HD anymore, REALLY!
I can hope that making people understand that a UNION isn't in the best interest of the country at this time, that EDUCATION is and always should be the number one thing. With education the world becomes open for you, that was the whole point of my RANT. By all means let the Gov't in.
I guess it would be easier for management to have someone else dictate what to pay and who to hire in your store.
My bad for standing up for my country and thinking that American company should be priority. Repression only happens when you allow it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

no union at HD in Virginia said: Why would you even think I'm a manager at HD. REALLY I'm NOT! I won't even step foot into a HD anymore, REALLY!
I can hope that making people understand that a UNION isn't in the best interest of the country at this time, that EDUCATION is and always should be the number one thing. With education the world becomes open for you, that was the whole

Ace I don't know what you were reading but I understood his message clearly and I have to agree that Unions suck and don't really help anyone but themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Quote from masterspec: "Thank you for wording so well what i've been trying to get across. I think when people hear the truth about unions instead of the lies about getting rights and bigger paychecks, they'll agree with us. The fact is there are so many labor laws now to protect the workers that unions are obsolete. They exist only to push political agendas and extort from companies and blue collar workers. They are the text book definition of a parasite, "an entity who draws life from another entity without providing anything in return, until that entity is dead." THAT WAS IN ANSWER TO INCOHERENT BABLE! The parasites at home depot are people like you and your management buddies who suck the life out of the hourly workers with low wages, terrible schedules, threats, write ups for no legitimate reason, termination over innuendo, sex discrimination, age discrimination,and on and on. You and your buddy no union ought to share a sleeping bag in Atlanta with President of Home Depot---you parasites!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Maybe this will bring home my point. I guess I should have reached deep down into my sensitivity training and realized not everyone wants to hear the state of things so bluntly: There is a great article in the Wall Street Journal called "STORMING THE SCHOOL BARRICADES" by Bari Weiss It is about public school education.
It is a bit long, but please take the time and read it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I have my kid gloves on now; The fact of the matter is you pick the lesser of two evils. Demonize unions and you back the Republican parties. Demonize Corporations and you back Democrats. Both donate unlimited funds to political parties.
in 2008 Home Depot donated $915,000.00 to political parties and Labor Unions donated $2,052,000.00 to political parties.
It is all about were you want to spend your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Thibodaux, Louisiana

62 months ago

jf24 in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I worked for HD for six years and was recently fired for minimum safety reasons.I was a floor supervisor and training for Assistant store mgr. When I started working for HD I was going to LSU and they were cooperative with my work schedule to allow for my school classes.I was promoted to floor supervisor about a year ago and was training for Asst store mgr,so I quit school as my duties were too complex to continue school.They have spies in the store to find some little nothing to get you fired when you are making $17.00 hr.The store mgr.asst mgr.or the district mgr.sat back on their dead bottoms and never backed me up as whoever reported this sleazy incident went straight to corporate.This was a slap in the face for me as I worked my tail off to get where I was not to mention quitting my education.I will not recommend anyone to work for HD as they absolutely don't appreciate experienced employees.After getting over the shock I can thank them for the termination as I am going back to school and finish the 60 hours I have to get a degree and HD can go to you know where.Good luck for those who are still with HD as they sure need best wishes working for this CO.
Stick to the books young man and forget about your misfortune with HP.The best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

OK guys,let's get off the subject of unions as neither of you are making any headway.Your bickering is getting a bit boring.It is my belief that this site specifically is about getting fired at HP.My personal opinion is that you have said enough about the unions.
Thank You !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

We had a plumber(state certified master plumber)at my store that was hired as a plumbing specialist. Recently, he was told since he was making so much money; he would have to act as assistant department manager. He told them if he wanted to manage that he would have stayed in business as a plumber---bottom line they fired the most helpful plumbing guy I have ever seen the last week of May. More for less---welcome to home deephole! Becky you don't want to hear about unions---you suggest a solution to this kind of situation, I think we all would like a easy painless solution to safeguard good employees. It does very little good to tell the story without discussing a solution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I am familiar with unions from the past as my husband was a union member for 20 years and they were great for backing up their members and the union dues were small considering the kind of money they were paid while working.I don't know how they are today as they might have changed since my husband was working.I just think discussions that have been made between you and another member is not getting anywhere and it is getting a bit boring to me.If this is all you have to do,then go right ahead,as I along with a number of people will not read any more of the union discussions.this is supposed to be a country of free speech,so have at it.Good Luck and have a very nice day.!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Becky I hear you. I guess the solution would be; buy your own warehouse and fill it with building supplies. Hire the people you want and know are good workers. Treat the customers better and put an end to home depot. We could be the big "purple" box, instead of the big "orange" box. Is that even realistic? Unless you want to arm all civilians with a pitchfork we the workers are backed into a corner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I am not going to get into a discussion with you on this subject as I have had enough of all the idle talk.When I discuss a subject, I make statements on my past experiences and not what I hear.Thank you for your reply and you will receive no more replies from me.Hope you have a great day !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Thank you Becky!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.