Possbile fraud? What is the SOP regarding cross-clocking?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Mojo in Juneau, Alaska

51 months ago

Does anyone know the SOP regarding cross-clocking? Basically my store's management team keeps our store severely understaffed, especially in certain merchandising departments, to increase SCOP. In order to keep from getting red flagged from corporate, my HR manager cross-clocks excess hours into the understaffed departments on paper so that the staffing numbers look healthy. He typically transfers hours from cashiers and temps, which we have an abundance of because of their relative low wage. I happen to know for a fact that my HR manager has an Excel matrix on his computer that tells him where he needs to shift hours on paper. He typically has our bookkeeper do all the cross-clocking on Sunday night, so that when the reports are ran on Monday morning, his staffing for the previous week looks pristine. If you compare the staffing reports from Sunday to Monday, undermanned departments that are down two or three full time employees, suddenly show that a cashier or freight associate, or backroom associate have been in that department all week, thus negating the need to hire another body or two.

Does anyone know if this is against SOP? It's certainly unethical, but before I even think about reporting this up the ladder, I just want to make sure that this practice is not just a loophole that has been exploited by some "creative" managers in the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

llama in you only want to know, American Samoa

51 months ago

Nope, Anything goes in Home Depot lane. Dontcha know that you HAVE to be cross train in different dept. All in all looks good for the big shots. Oh by the way rules and SOP will change with out your knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DukeW in Anywhere

49 months ago

Mojo in Juneau, Alaska said: Does anyone know the SOP regarding cross-clocking? Basically my store's management team keeps our store severely understaffed, especially in certain merchandising departments, to increase SCOP. In order to keep from getting red flagged from corporate, my HR manager cross-clocks excess hours into the understaffed departments on paper so that the staffing numbers look healthy. He typically transfers hours from cashiers and temps, which we have an abundance of because of their relative low wage. I happen to know for a fact that my HR manager has an Excel matrix on his computer that tells him where he needs to shift hours on paper. He typically has our bookkeeper do all the cross-clocking on Sunday night, so that when the reports are ran on Monday morning, his staffing for the previous week looks pristine. If you compare the staffing reports from Sunday to Monday, undermanned departments that are down two or three full time employees, suddenly show that a cashier or freight associate, or backroom associate have been in that department all week, thus negating the need to hire another body or two.

Does anyone know if this is against SOP? It's certainly unethical, but before I even think about reporting this up the ladder, I just want to make sure that this practice is not just a loophole that has been exploited by some "creative" managers in the company.

This is common practice and condoned from the DM's on up. It not a matter of actually staffing to the needs of the business but making it look like you do. The HRM's work with the SM's to cook the books by putting people into departments they don't even work in. It makes the staffing look right. I guess Frank can't figure out all the numbers from the stores are bogus from staffing to cutomer service. HD wants to look like they have improved customer service on paper without really improving customer service at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.