Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

llama in you only want to know, American Samoa

49 months ago

Well what about mid 30's. 5+ years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hottwhls in Moreno Valley, California

49 months ago

Angellee in Tampa, Florida said: I haven't worked for Home Depot, but my guess is that they're getting rid of the people that have been there a long time to replace them with people at a lower salary. I think this is unfair and shouldn't be allowed, but companies do it all the time. There's no job security until retirement anymore.

Well I know people at walmart and lowes and they are saying the same thing that home depot is doing, I just heard from a good source. I was also told it is possible these companies are scared because full time employess can vote and part timers can not (union), and this is one of the bills hopefully to be passed that part timers will be able to vote.I also know some people who have been written up at home depot stores, when they never should of been written up at all, it is sad to say they did not relize it when the write up was given, and they all seem to be full time, long term employees with good records. It is sad that these people were 100% home depot all the way, and completely devastated and in a state of disbelief, when of a sudden they are being hit right and left with write ups for petty reasons.I been reading the stories and listening to people this has happen to.Extremely SAD!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Do you really think there's a conspiracy to fire old timers? How stupid does that sound? What, did they issue a memo from HQ to terminate long time associates? No, the real answer is that no one is targeted, they have to have just cause to terminate people. I havn't heard of any wrongful termination lawsuits in my district. Please stop trying to make up hype. PS unions suck balls...

well I guess you have not spoken to anyone or aware of the wrongfull writeups, I make up nothing and base everything on what I have seen..you on the other hand have just have not seen them.I dont like unions either, they never helped me when I was in a union, although facts are facts. One must be open minded to understand and what is taking place not just with one company but many.Reading is a good thing, seening it is even better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Message to Home Depot on youtube

49 months ago

hottwhls in Moreno Valley, California said: well I guess you have not spoken to anyone or aware of the wrongfull writeups, I make up nothing and base everything on what I have seen..you on the other hand have just have not seen them.I dont like unions either, they never helped me when I was in a union, although facts are facts. One must be open minded to understand and what is taking place not just with one company but many.Reading is a good thing, seening it is even better.

Hotwhls take a look online, search the internet for home depot forums, check the topix home depot forum, contact the EEOC. The information is out there and the employment practices violations that you have witnessed, you will find posts from all over the country from people with very similar situations. Additionally the home depot has lots of lawsuits based on similar problems you mention. Thank you for your honest posts and coming forward to present examples of unfair employment practices that sadly appear to plague home depot coast to coast. Additionally the unfair employment practices from the Rancho Cucamonga area and surrounding districts is pronounced. Masterspec is clearly not privy to the complete information about his district or surrounding districts or is an ASM that would not have these details. The fact remains that his district and surrounding districts have significant employment practice issues. The online survey on topix home depot forum that asks associates do they think Home Depot needs a union has 30,000 responses with 98% in favor of a union. Over 100,000 people (likely most are Home Depot associates) have seen the video on youtube titled “message to home depot” and most voted the video highly. Masterspec is sadly ill informed about the issues in his area or simply chooses to turn a blind eye to very serious issues like the examples that you have bravely illustrated in your posts and are reflected in most of the Home Depot associate posts online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Message to Home Depot on youtube said: Hotwhls take a look online, search the internet for home depot forums, check the topix home depot forum, contact the EEOC. The information is out there and the employment practices violations that you have witnessed, you will find posts from all over the country from people with very similar situations. Additionally the home depot has lots of lawsuits based on similar problems you mention. Thank you for your honest posts and coming forward to present examples of unfair employment practices that sadly appear to plague home depot coast to coast. Additionally the unfair employment practices from the Rancho Cucamonga area and surrounding districts is pronounced. Masterspec is clearly not privy to the complete information about his district or surrounding districts or is an ASM that would not have these details. The fact remains that his district and surrounding districts have significant employment practice issues. The online survey on topix home depot forum that asks associates do they think Home Depot needs a union has 30,000 responses with 98% in favor of a union. Over 100,000 people (likely most are Home Depot associates) have seen the video on youtube titled “message to home depot” and most voted the video highly. Masterspec is sadly ill informed about the issues in his area or simply chooses to turn a blind eye to very serious issues like the examples that you have bravely illustrated in your posts and are reflected in most of the Home Depot associate posts online.

Your free will to think what u want.I happen to like to read, find facts and write books.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

49 months ago

hottwhls in Moreno Valley, California said: well I guess you have not spoken to anyone or aware of the wrongfull writeups, I make up nothing and base everything on what I have seen..you on the other hand have just have not seen them.I dont like unions either, they never helped me when I was in a union, although facts are facts. One must be open minded to understand and what is taking place not just with one company but many.Reading is a good thing, seening it is even better.

Home Depot is not alone, you're going to get the same accusations at every large retailer. People get fired and it's never their fault. Ther truth hurts too much so they fabricate conspiracy theories and even file wrongful termination suits etc. (the payback). But less than 1% of these bogus claims are awarded any compensation. I did get a check from some class action suit recently, I didn't even get asked to participate the check just came in the mail. It had to do with unfair practice in scheduling

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

No one ever said that everyone being terminated is wrong, this is about wrongful write-ups and terminations. Hey you guys enjoy, I am out of here for vacation. Have a great weekend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

hottwhls in Moreno Valley, California said: Your free will to think what u want.I happen to like to read, find facts and write books.

Fogot to say Thank You..Enjoy your weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

49 months ago

Top Dog HD in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Damn straight. I bet you he was that guy in the store sucking his way through while everyone else killed themselves in the box. Now he is scared that his kind will have to deal with some reality when we vote for a union. Masterspec its people like you that have turned this great company into a crap hole.

I get more work done in a day than most people do in a week, and I still hardly break a sweat...Try wiring houses in a 120 degree attic or working in an inch of freezing water. yeah HD work is cake compared to contracting. Yeah I set a higher standard for my depts because I know that most people operate at about 40-50% of their potential. so when I say I never break a sweat it's because my 50% is more than most people's 100%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

retiredhd in hoffman estates, Illinois

49 months ago

masterspec--while I do not have to defend myself---Before joining Home Deephole (for 5years) I owned my own business for 29 years with 6 to 8 employees. I started in labor jobs at 17, went into the military at 19 and was trained as an electrician. Worked as a electrician (machine tool)for 4 years before going back to school and finishing college with an associate in electronics and BS in business. I started my own business 4 years out of college and ran it at a profit 28 out of 29 years. I retired too early and went to home depot because I thought I could help customers and enjoyed working hard. I did not HAVE to work I WANTED to work! Turned out there were too many of YOU. You think everyone is a piss ant and think you are superior but my guess is you would have a hard time finding any friends at home deephole that you did not have your nose stuck in their rear. Furthermore you would not have been smart enough, had enough sales ability, or the right attitude to have been hired at my firm---home deephole as it is now is a good home for you!

in answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Top Dog HD in Rancho Cucamonga, California

49 months ago

Retired your posts are really great. It speaks to the central issues in home depot coast to coast. Masterspec and NU you may in your heart think you are fighting for your ideas and your cause but you really make Managers at home depot look terrible and the reason most want a union. I have been reading your posts and when there is any mention of facts, you don’t respond. When there is a mention of injustices towards associates in your area, you don’t respond. You ignore or try to deflect the conversation away from the issues which are pronounces and posted in the 1000’s online. You want to draw the conversation into a fist fight as opposed to a dialogue. There is a reason why 97% of the people responding to the Topix home depot forum survey of “does the home depot need a union” agree. Almost 30,000 people have responded “hell yeah” home depot needs a union. Reason: Masterspec and NU your attitude and complete lack of caring about labor in the company is the reason hourly associates feel this way. If you communicate like this on a anonymous post forum I cannot even image what working for you as an hourly is like. Masterspec the complaints of employment practices violations are pronounced in your area. Basically you too do not understand the issue at hand. You do not understand why there are so many posts online about unfair employment practices at home depot. You do not understand the gravity of a company like Home Depot refusing to present the demographic statistics of their management to the shareholders. I sincerely believe the reason you do not understand these things is because you do not care. You care about YOUR situation….only. Where do you draw the line both of you? Do you draw the line only to feed you and yours??? Is no one else important??? I think most that read both your posts can conclude both of your would do anything to hold on to your piece of the pie, by any means necessary. Even at everyone one else’s expense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

NU your ridiculous rant about public schools has nothing to do with the issue. The same teachers union in cali controls the public schools in your area. That fight has nothing to do with the issues posted here. There was never a mention of democracy being an issue, in spite of your ridiculous attempt at injecting that nonsense into to the conversation. What is at issue is what do you and your kind care about???? Hourly associates and anyone reading these posts will easily conclude you may care about many things, but home depot hourly associates (and issues that effect them ) is clearly not important to either one of you. That is an clear and obvious glaring fact.
This is the central issue. Managers have existed in a void since the company creation. Home Depot has sadly gone to a model of an unskilled management labor force because labor at depot has really put up with the declining standards of leadership for ever.
Retired you are correct. There are way too many managers like these too that are to short sighted to see by their own actions they introduce and support the dire need for a union. It is very regrettable that you are longer at depot because more of your type made the company great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

excpt in New Jersey

49 months ago

I had a similar situation to 'retiredhd'.

I owned a successful home repair biz for 20 years...sold it for a tidy profit...then retired. Retirement didn't suit me, decided to get back to my craft, this time in 'retail'...at THD.

Granted its not much to draw a conclusion from, but heres how it turned out....

In a nutshell:
I was employed at THD for one month back in the 90's.
During the interview I made it clear that my schedule was not very flexible due to family issues and that for the time being I was only available part-time...ASM said "No problem", then hired me as a part-time Sales Associate.

Went thru training....I was gung-ho about THD! It was great to be putting my skills back to work helping people and working with the team.

Week 4 was scheduled for some 50 hours. Put in as many hours as I was able, giving 100%...with pride, no matter how many hours I work...sweating or not.

Week 6 requested less hours, and was told "either work or leave...its up to you".
I was stunned.....

Shortly thereafter I started another biz....

For the naysayers, I have no bones to pick with THD, and have been a 'valued customer' of THD since 1985.
In fact, I was considering re-applying had the economy continued to flounder, but biz has picked up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

no union at HD in Virginia

49 months ago

top dog the public school system has everything to do with this issue. Home Depot is f'd up, I do agree with that. They ONLY have a product of the failing public school system to higher from. You get a "C" for just turing in a paper without working on it. Teacher's Union has dummied our kids down.
I'm sorry I don't blame Home Depot for horrible managers. I blame the welfare society and union teachers.
These problems aren't alone Home Depot's.It's everywhere; Lazy, inflated sense of self individuals. Expect more and do less. It is the AGE of the working class individual. People like Retired knock someone down for working harder than them. Saying he's wrong for having moral sense to work. Yet complain about managers NOT working and you beat him up for working. Hypocrat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

excpt in New Jersey

49 months ago

no union said: "Home Depot is f'd up, I do agree with that. They ONLY have a product of the failing public school system to higher from."

no union,
If as you say, "dummied..down"..."lazy" are the ONLY people that THD and other companies are able to hire, then they need to do something to increase the pool of prospective employees.

We heard countless times after the 'financial bailout' that we can't restrict salaries and/or benefits in the financial industry, or those firms would be at risk losing the "best and brightest" to the competition.
If that's the case, then one can conclude that compensation is the determining factor for attracting and keeping the "best and brightest" employees.

If the "best and brightest" flocked to the financial firms that paid highest wages and benefits, THD and other companies could follow their lead....increase wages and benefits.
The well educated, highly skilled, motivated, and moral individuals would start knocking down their doors to get on the payroll.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

excpt; I do agree with increase of wages however I do not think a Union should be allowed to line their pockets with that money. Its the employees' money. I agree with the "idea" of employees standing together but I don't like how unions push one race over another. If you are not there for EVERYONE than you are a racists. Union history says it all. Union isn't going to fix the problem the same people will be there and the same will apply for a job.
The master spec position wasn't that HD trying to get a better job pool in, more qualified individuals? It didn't work out so well, in some cases they were single man layoffs from the contractor unions.If the union gets rid of you you are a problem.
As for paying a cashier more money. It's not a career, what they get paid is enough. Most are part time/going to college or its a second job. If you want to make retail your career, you still have to start at the bottom. If there isn't a bottom to start at, why would you ever try to be better? Is it good business to wait until someone dies to get a new/better position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

I have one question how can anyone be mad at "19 highly paid RVP's and 3 presidents" and NOT be angry at Frank Blake with GE conections for his lobbying in 2007 of 1,177,000( your money) 2008 939,000 (your money) 2009 935,000 (still your money). How can you justify that spending?
"Mr. Obama will push to get this law passed" isn't he our President? You uneducated baboon. He is above Mr. Obama he should ONLY be addressed as President Obama, or Mr. President.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

This is more about what to do to improve the current situation for hourly associates. The problem is clear: there is a VERY VERY serious issue with the employment practices of home depot. These practices are supported by laws that favor large corporations with endless legal resources. A cashier, floor associates or pro desk associate is at a great disadvantage alone. If associates work together they are stronger and are in a much better situation to address these blatantly sexist, racist discriminatory hiring, promotion and unfair investigations and unjust firings that plague home depot. Home Depot relies on the fact that many of these very hard working associates are living paycheck to paycheck and are often terrified of rocking the boat. Even when their rights have been violated. The managers that post on here are only trying to protect the cushy situation they are enjoying. Most are sadly very ill informed, and most simply do not care about anything other then themselves. They represent one of the key areas to take issue with. Most are talentless, inept, poorly trained and painfully under skilled to run anything, never-the-less a multimillion dollar business. Sadly I have never met a more ignorant and pernicious collection of people as the managers (on almost every level from ASM to President) at home depot. It is just absolutely shocking. I think the company would be better off to hire a more skilled pool of managers as the current lot of managers are embarrassing, as you can clearly see by some of their rambling diatribes posted in this forum. The managers and the HR’s will be one of the reasons Home Depot has unions to protect the rights of the struggling hard working hourly associates. Based on the survey on the topix home depot forum over 30,000 overwhelmingly (98%) agree home depot needs a union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

TermedWithoutCause in Alhambra, California

49 months ago

Well, I was never big on unions, and I do know that corporate America has been trending certain ways since the 70s. As such, I do not single out The Home Depot. Picture this:

- Age 56 (for what it's worth)

- Ten years with the company with decent reviews, strong numbers, VOCs and good rapport.

- An announcement a few weeks ago that our Dep't was over hours - 80 hr per week.

- Suddenly write-ups came forth for everything and anything, including the Eljer kitchen sink. (Some included exaggerations, and when pointed out, Mngt was unwilling to verify and correct them.)

- Situations were turned into opportunities to fire people, based on technicality. Some of these were higher paid employees (myself included.)

- In ten years with the company, I personally never witnessed one single layoff during slow season, only multiple firings.

- I just missed my 10 year employee bonus but just a few hours. (Though I honestly doubt such a large corporation cares terminated me for that.)

- My wife has heart trouble. and we're trying to figure out how to afford some kind of medical coverage.

See, I did not slam the Depot, so please be kind if you respond. Aside from my own personal loss, I just think it's really sad. The company was founded by two great Visionaries. And, no offense -- please -- but the ship is now manned by a group of folks who seem to have no grasp on principle, moral character & responsibility, and the core values that once made this company great. Again, Home Depot is not alone here. Reason gives way to the prevailing Interest, principle to expediency. Frankly (no pun intended), it's heartbreaking to see a great company go down. (It's always inward, first.) What may be called "a shrewd business decision", is really the destruction of the company's core values. Of course money matters. That's not the problem. The problem is when money is ALL that matters. If a corporation had a soul, The Home Depot has surely lost it by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

well Homee Deepot you are right some managers they hire are $h1t. We had one that managed a hair salon for g0d sakes. What is cr@p is you and your homee thugs firing up some young and naive individuals. Most of the information you have comes from a"sprawl-buster" article written in the mid 90's.
Then telling these un-informed individuals to report to the NLRB if they hear that a store will be closed because of union organizations. Once they go there it goes like this: NLRB will tell Dept of Labor. Dept of Labor invistigates and tell Home Depot that they will either have multiple substantial fines, IRS audit or a Wage & Hour investigation. The other option on the table is the imposition of a union contract to help prevent future calls from DOL. You cause the force of a Union WITHOUT vote. Making hard working employees share there money with YOU! YOU SAY YOU CARE ABOUT THE EMPLOYEE SHOW IT! Get them fare wages WITHOUT your Louis Farrakhan thugs.
This is another step in the Obama Administration’s continuing shakedown of employers in an attempt to entice them into agreeing to force their employees into unions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Termed I'm sorry. It is horrible what Depot has done to hard working families and on the heels of Obamacare. The problems go so much deeper than just management at Depot. It's sick'g. Good luck to you and your wife..I wish I could offer a solution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

To All MGRs:

I understand why you'd want to defend your company, and what was once my company too. I can't fault you if your desire is to be loyal. But you should be aware that some of you, also, will be fired. I've seen too many MGRs just up & disappear. One week alone, we saw FIVE MGRs term'd at our store.

A few may be very well-connected. But for most of you, when the chips are down, the bus will be coming your way.

Just try to do the right thing, if that's important to you.

Beef up your 401k and pray the market doesn't empty it out. The sky is not falling, but the economy is definitely sinking. The law of cause & effect is clearly taking hold. Read, study.. Be aware of what's going on, historically. It behooves you to know.

If your day comes, you may be given a choice to quit, or take the hit on your resume. If you QUIT, you have no chance in hell to get U.I. (if you need it.)

Personally, I have forgiven my ASM for the evils he has done. Like cops with quotas, if they don't go out and find violations, their own job is in jeopardy. (Imagine, actually *hoping* someone does something wrong, just so you can fire them!)

I think that you are being put up to something that normally might sicken you -- like putting people with families/children in financial jeopardy by firing them, rather than doing an honest layoff when times are slow, thus dropping them off a cliff with no safety net; then contesting their UI claim, thereby, in effect, waiting there to make sure they go down that cliff. If I were you, I'd really have to harden myself and annihilate my conscience (or drink it to oblivion every night) to carry out what today's business world compels you to do.

Continued on next post..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Just know that your own position remains precarious, if someone suddenly decides they don't like you, or otherwise has the notion to see you axed. Or the company decides it's time to eliminate some bodies.

Do I want to instill disloyalty in you? No!!

Just remember that your company is not loyal to you.
That is a thing of the past.
Have no illusions about it.

It's not the same Home Depot anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

no union at HD in Virginia said: Termed I'm sorry. It is horrible what Depot has done to hard working families.. The problems go so much deeper than just management at Depot. It's sick'g. Good luck to you and your wife..I wish I could offer a solution.

You have already offered a solution. You have shown some of the last vestiges of human kindness this company has ever known. And while it puts no bread on my table, it's still heartwarming to see that someone actually cares. We'll get by somehow.

I am not bitter with The Depot. They've just crawled really low, merely succumbing to market pressure, while cutting out the company's very heart. I understand shareholder value and all that, but it's likely Marcus and Bernie are profoundly disgusted with what the current cadre of players are doing. They would have found workarounds. Fire the bad apples, yes, but finding ways to retain their best people with proven track records of performance, who genuinely cared for the good of the company. They would have sooner cut some hours across the board, maybe even consider pay cuts, or of the very least do layoffs so that people could get UI. Anything but this corp treachery.

Funny how it all works. We've all seen the atrocities.. that is, any of us who have been around for a while. We've seen flagrantly bad people doing horrible anti-customer service, even steal many hours a week, and end up getting promoted. Wild sex scenes occur in an office, one even caught on camera (!) and an ASM walks in on it, then gets written up for simply making a statement. We've seen enormous degrees of favoritism, based on race, gender and sexual preference. We've seen MGRS act distant and aloof, utterly out of touch. To this day, there remain several DHs who do the "rope-a-dope", hiding all day and avoiding their depts like the plague. Then when it's time, a lot of good people get fired, along with the bad. And upper MNGT does not even wish to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

My last post is offered as opinion. It intends to call attention only to principle, not personalities. No ill will is intended, nor the desire to bring any harm to individuals, or to The Home Depot itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Termed your posts are profound and very heartbreaking. To say they have made me emotional is no understatement. I will gladly join NU and I am sure everyone that reads this post in saying that I am truly very sorry. I am so very sorry for your situation. I sadly have seen this kind of situation so much it makes me ill. It is clear that you are a very sharp person with a very large heart and by you posts you have an insight that evades many people, not least of which are the leadership at Depot. I offer you my prayers for better days and the hope that people reading these posts, find a way to agree to disagree in whatever form that will help hard working americans that work at depot live better lives and recieve fair treatment. Termed it is Home Depot's loss to have you treated this way. If you feel your rights have been violated there is help at many state and federal levels, not to mention lawyers locally review you case. I too wish I had more to offer. I am so very sorry.

49 months ago

masterspec101---this is an example of what causes my hostility---it hurts me to see people in this situation. My heart felt sorrow goes out for you termedwithoutcause and I will pray for you and others that are treated to this same corporate treachery. Keep you head up and be positive because something better may come along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Just for the record, again, I dont work for this company anymore. Was never a manager, never cared to be.
Top Dog, we can agree to disagree because it is what it is.
These terms that are done after the age of 50 is it a health care thing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Top Dog and retiredhd - Thanks for your kind words. I don't think it's an age thing, in my case, as we have others in their 60s who still work there. Nor a race/nationality thing. There's been plenty of equal opportunity screwing, both before and after me. I think it's mainly a bottom line move. They're "cutting hours", and I just got in the crosshairs, that's all. It's a corporate agenda. I took great pains to talk to Atlanta to find this out. As it turns out, it appears well orchestrated, coast to coast.

I wondered how long it would take for them to go after those dangling bobbles that proved irresistible to so many other big corporations. It was just a matter of time. I've been in retail for 28 years and I've seen a lot of this. It's not very surprising. HR is no help either because he who pays the piper calls the tune.

And so, everyone's reasoning is skewed by the prevailing Interest -- remove aprons any way you can without attracting a lawsuit. I'm no vexatious litigator, never will be; nor a union advocate. But, in moments like this, I can certainly see why unions came into being. They started out with a good purpose, at a time in our history when corporate abuse was very severe. Unfortunately, greed resides in the human heart, and no one side of the labor or ideological equation possesses all the greed. Either one side, over time, utterly exploits the other, or the other pillages the one, eventually breaking its economic backbone. Balance doesn't come easy.

As such, I would leave the argument for or against unions to others. In my view, that is not the bottom line issue, though I respect others' right to their opinions.

It really comes back to core values, in the absence of which union fervor grows and thrives.

"Him who has ears, let him hear."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Termed you have a suprisingly good attitude considering. YOu've said it best "Balance doesn't come easy" and "Greed resides in the human heart". NO one helps anybody anymore without asking "what's in it for me".
take care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

watermanbigal in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

WOW. Without geting into american socialism, american labor history and class wars. Companies are about maximizing profits for the stocking holders. For example; Home depot sells the identical products as their biggest competitor (lowes). There is nothing too strong that sets them apart. So their stategy is too block competitors using store placement. Secondly, a knowledglable employee = an employee who has other job oppurtunitys= demands a higher hourly wage. However, a non skilled employee= much lesser pay and may serve the same function. There main function is to tell the customer where the product is and give a general info on the product. Can someone explain to me what working "hard" means? I crack up, when people battle against each other saying they work "harder" than the other person. You guys are fooling yourself. companies love to use the slogan work "hard" to get the most out of employees without any real compensation. IF they know you are desperate they will exploit you to the fullest. Also they love to seperate employee and not organize. Employees have power in numbers. It's amazing how companies and employees battle the same way it was a 100 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

BlueMan in Minneapolis, Minnesota

49 months ago

I've been employed as a specialist for two years and have seen a lot of things. I have been appalled at this company's business and human resources practices and have decided that my best option for advancement, pay above the poverty level, and personal safety is to leave. I do have a question, though, for other Depot alums or current employees. Do/did your store managers commonly require D.H.'s to work 13 - 15 hours through the night on a regular basis? We recently had a D.H. come in at 6 p.m., work through the night, and leave at 9 a.m. This is a guy who's in the lumber department operating a fork lift to do his job. Is this even legal? He's young, so he still thinks he can do this --no problem-- but this doesn't even seem safe. The other instances are last minute calls for overtime (cut later, of course) so it's common to hear that the D.H.'s worked 3, 4, and 5 hours beyond their shift. This happens weekly and gets worse at inventory. Is this the norm? (This is why I know I will never accept a D.H. position even though I have been identified as "promotable".)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Blueman - the reason DHs in some stores get hosed is because ASMs do too. It's hard to show compassion if you're not getting any. Some DHs even work off the clock on occasion to get something done, for fear of their jobs. I even warned one DH not to do that, because it was clear violation of the policy/code of conduct, and that she could be fired for it if the wind shifted that way.

Also, I have found that scheduling folks for opening shifts back to back with closing, is in most cases, entirely avoidable and unnecessary. Yet, it seems a way of life, as more often than not, ASMs have had to do this. So, how would they have any compassion toward others for the very things they suffer? In fact, compassion is a humanitarian word. Why am I even talking about it?

Also, when I was watching the history channel last night, I couldn't help but think of the common practice of upper MNGT distancing yourselves from the front lines. It was about General George Washington winning our freedom in the battlefield. He would lead the battle, not hang in cush, comfy quarters while everyone else did all the bleeding. This really boosted morale. Now, we obviously wouldn't expect Mngt to do cashiering, mix paint and so forth. But, if I were in the position to effect change (which means pretty high up, cuz everyone else is too frightened to make a move), I would at least try to instill leadership, have managers manage people instead of just managing numbers, look for talent and dedication rather than just practicing favoritism based on politics, race, nationality and convenience. I would want to build again from scratch, requiring Mngt at ALL levels to read the founders' book, "Built From Scratch" and see, once again, a measure of Vision rather than just maintenance; a cultivation of real leadership rather than this mercenary, adversarial, extremely irresponsible, even destructive Mngt style that too often has nothing to do with the good of the company.

49 months ago

Blueman--what you described about the unreal requirements for DH's is typical of every store in my area. Tough job at only $.50 to $1.00 an hour more than an associate. They are also forced to do write ups that they feel are unfair, spy, and all the while they are clock punching hourly rated employees. As a specialist you probably are making much more than any DH and as much as most ASM's. There seem to be more pressure being put on specialists(be promoted or act as assistant department head or be terminated)---some clean apron morons think the specialists are being paid too well.

49 months ago

Hey all. Thanks for the response to my questions about hours. It confirms / affirms a decision I had already made. I just had a bit of a notion that I might have the wrong idea or be in the wrong store to make it with this company. A special note to "retirehd...": At under $13 an hour, I certainly hope I'm not making as much as they are. (I hired on at the bottom of the job market and was desperate just to get a job.) Another note to "Termed...": Your observation about people treating each other poorly because of their own treatment is dead on. I really don't understand how the higher ups can stomach the cultural misery they create just because it seems to be profitable.They either have profoundly stuck their head in the sand as a survival tactic or they truly don't care. It's all about the money. Either way, as a group, it's hard to admire or respect them. They seem to think it's necessary to whip people to make them perform. Too bad. I truly believe if they turned THEIR attitudes around, we could have fun, do honorable work, AND make money. What a waste!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

seg in Hagerstown, Maryland

48 months ago

hottwhls in Moreno Valley, California said: Please respond if been recently terminated, over the age of 40 and have been employeed for a few years.

How about even older and working there a lot longer?

48 months ago

Blueman - This generation of "leaders" struts in, having built NOTHING from scratch (probably never even read the book) and then assume to preside over someone else's work - what real men of character started.

It's like those who take all our freedoms for granted today, even abusing them bigtime, knowing & caring nothing about those who fought, bled and died for our country to win us the very liberties they now trample upon.

Likewise, this sorry lot of mngt is BEYOND embarrassing. They are, in fact, a standing denial of all that is good in life. These are the epitome of IRRESPONSIBILITY, and bring forth a whole new definition of what it means to crawl low.

HD was once a great company, founded by visionaries, who knew something about birthing visionaries after them (actual leaders).. not these perverse, unprincipled, extremely small-minded maint-managers who really care for nothing but their own mercenary selves. This cadre of unfeeling hearts will exit life utterly bereft of any lasting value and accomplishment.

Those halfway cognizant of themselves, and of their own awful, frightening soul-condition, know it deep inside. Others tell you they sleep just fine, because they have lost all conscience.

48 months ago

My own ASM? I've rarely seen so much evil in one body.
And it is these who excel in HD today.. who play the company and steal them blind, who manipulate the system unto massive waste, and to others' hurt, and to the destruction of all morale and sense of teamwork.. purely for self-gain.

I worked six stores over 10 years. And what did I see? More cronyism, racism and shameless raping of HD's core values, & all manner of dirty dealing, than I've seen in my entire 40 yrs in the work force! Would to God HD upper Mngt caught a vision and hired quality people rather than just managing numbers.

It was once "Serve God, then serve your country, your family, your company, then finally yourself (since self has its legitimate needs.) Today, it's purely self-serving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

orangeokie in Patchogue, New York

47 months ago

hottwhls in Moreno Valley, California said: Please respond if been recently terminated, over the age of 40 and have been employeed for a few years.

Terminated 09/10/10 for mishandling a screaming customer who was intimidating and humiliating. I backed away versus runnig to get her a manager. My crime.
Employed for 9 1/2 years and 60 yr old female.
A few councils on lateness and no other customer write-ups. Platinum award, volunteer outside work non pay, emp of the month, excellent worker, loyal and never favored exactly becasue I did not on top of great performance...brown nose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

By any chance were you at the top of the pay scale for your dept?

47 months ago

TermedWithoutCause in Alhambra, California said: By any chance were you at the top of the pay scale for your dept?

Ah yes...another sleepless night wondering how I will survive. Another ex Depot employee who will be looking for unemployment benefits, food stamps, and any other resources to stay afloat until another job is found. I think this looks like a good New York Times article.
Not sure what the top pay scale is for a non specialized
(not a designer) kitchen and bath person, but I was making $17.85 an hour. Am not bound by company policy(is there a company policy) at this point to keep my mouth shut about what I make. Imagine I was making more than some DH's. If it is true that new ASM's starting salary (or is capped?) at $60,000 a year, that's about $21 an hour when broken down working 55 hours a week. Not bad for the mid west, but try and live on this in NY. Pathetic. Feel sorry for lower management running scared all the time who become nonthinking 'just do it' robots with no compassion.
We were running 600 hours under labor hours last year according to our newest manager. Are manager's bonuses tied into this...the fewer the labor hours, with sales up to par, the bigger the bonus?
sorry I have not been more active on HD forums until now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

$17.85 an hour. That explains it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Orange - I thought I was in for a long appeal process for UI. But I got it right away. I was told later, by a kind soul in Atlanta, that HD did not fight it.

If any HD mngt, at any level, is reading this, this is for you:

It's one thing to have an economy go south (worst since The Great Depression)and make a business decision to eliminate personnel.
This NORMALLY leads to layoffs.

It's quite another matter to lie, fabricate and deceive in order to FIRE people. Many higher-paid employees are paid more, BECAUSE they have been there, in many cases, for 10-15, even 20+ years, and that is.. BECAUSE they are dedicated, stable people. It is morally unconscionable for you to destroy the honor of those who served you loyally for so many years.

In more simple terms, this is really stooping low with such dirty dealing. Isn't it enough that these employees have their sense of security suddenly yanked out from under them, and then face the frightening prospect of an economy in very deep trouble, with stubbornly high unemployment and a jobless "recovery?" A lot of them are gonna lose their homes, and suffer untold hurt of all kinds. Many of them have children. Isn't that hurtful enough?
But on top of all that, you strip them of their dignity by trumping up charges and concocting all kinds things, just because you'd rather not lay them off? You instead FIRE them!

THAT IS REALLY CRAWLING LOW. THAT IS REALLY BAD. THAT IS DOWNRIGHT DIRTY AND ROTTEN. It's amazing that you all can even sleep at night!

46 months ago

Hey orangeokie: I'm so sorry you lost your livelihood. No matter how you look at it, it's hard not to be angry and scared, especially after having devoted so many years to HD. It may or may not help to know that one of our associates got let go after a similar incident in her department and that the ASM who had to walk her to the door told her he didn't feel that this was right, but that he had to do it. For the past 18 months, our whole store has been on edge. We all thought it had to do with the manager's personal style, but maybe it's also a sign of changes in Home Depot's corporate philosophy. Sure, the bottom line is important to the survival of the business but is it really the ONLY thing? by the way, it took about two weeks for my colleague to feel like she could breathe again....then she got another job. I wish you the best.

Nell in Columbia, South Carolina

46 months ago

orangeokie in Patchogue, New York said: Terminated 09/10/10 for mishandling a screaming customer who was intimidating and humiliating. I backed away versus runnig to get her a manager. My crime.
Employed for 9 1/2 years and 60 yr old female.
A few councils on lateness and no other customer write-ups. Platinum award, volunteer outside work non pay, emp of the month, excellent worker, loyal and never favored exactly becasue I did not on top of great performance...brown nose.

I feel your pain. I was terminated in April for telling a customer to go to lowe's. He was using profanity of the f--- you type and said no less than 3 dozen times he was going to lowe's, so I told him to go if he felt that way. BTW, I called for mgt. 3 times on the walkie. A store mgr., two ASMs, and a District person were in the store at the time. No one responded. I filed a grievance but it went nowhere. Atlanta said I shouldn't have told him to go to lowe's. 13 month employee, 53 years old female, retired police captain, master gardener from Clemson University, employee of the month 3 times in 13 months. Go figure.

46 months ago

This leads me to shift worker syndrome. www.sleepdisorderchannel.com/shiftwork/index.shtml
I began taking melatonin to get to sleep when I worked a 1-10 shift and had to be in early the next day. Melatonin is a natural substance and like drinking 3 glasses of warm milk. Horrible when your body has no sense of when to sleep or eat...no stability. Many other workers were doing the same thing.
NYS law provides only that there be 8 hours between shifts. Actually spoke to NYS labor dept. about this and a company could legally work you 7 days a week with 8 hours between...6-3, back and work 11-8, then back 4-1am. There is no protection. Have never seen shifts such as above, but, many emps worked 1-10, 6-3, 10-7, off, 12-9, and so forth.

46 months ago

Strange...I made 3 posts and only two showed up?
Who regulates this forum?
Will try reposting and apologize if it shows up twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Nell in Columbia, South Carolina said: I feel your pain. I was terminated in April for telling a customer to go to lowe's. He was using profanity of the f--- you type and said no less than 3 dozen times he was going to lowe's, so I told him to go if he felt that way. BTW, I called for mgt. 3 times on the walkie. A store mgr., two ASMs, and a District person were in the store at the time. No one responded. I filed a grievance but it went nowhere. Atlanta said I shouldn't have told him to go to lowe's. 13 month employee, 53 years old female, retired police captain, master gardener from Clemson University, employee of the month 3 times in 13 months. Go figure.

Nell: These less-than-enlightened managers don't "realize" (or care) that they are creating an environment of fear among employees who are not permitted to defend themselves. The message seems to be, "no matter what the customer says or does to you, it is YOUR job to make it okay. There will be no back up and, furthermore, even if the customer verbally abuses you or ONLY threatens physical violence, you have to take it in order to keep your job." We have had three such incidents in our store in the last 6 months!!! One woman was fired. Another woman was written up. The third woman was not able to attract "managerial" attention and eventually handled the situation through sheer force of will. So.. she avoided "managerial" attention but was then shaken up for days once she realized how vulnerable she is when she works. How can these idiots fail to realize that they are creating what is known as a toxic work environment? And tell me again why we should be grateful for working for such a great company? Is this really as good as it gets and are we really a bunch of whiners to at least want to feel safe and (dare I say it) respected in the workplace?

46 months ago

Blueman - You write: "And tell me again why we should be grateful for working for such a great company?"

It WAS a great company. It's not the same company anymore. And the Mngt really does not care about these things, or about anything as a matter of principle. Only about what effects them. They don't even want to KNOW about such concerns. It's strictly dog eat dog now. Sorry if this sounds dismal.

If it's any consolation, remember that each one of these mindless mercenaries are going to reap what they sow.

They are beholden entirely to corporate. And at the corporate heart, what was once warm hearts of flesh is now cold stone. In spite of rhetoric you see in the videos, the company is now a soul-less entity, not even a ghost of what it once was. They just use the same name, but the core values are truly dead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Received my personnel files a few days ago. Had a couple write-ups for lateness over many years time. Was terminated two weeks ago for not getting a manager involved with a humiliating, screaming, so close there was spittle in my face, woman. I backed away backwards.
Just read the Code of Conductfrom 2009 I never signed off on. This is considered a MINOR violation.
Am still looking for info about 3 strikes regarding minor violations, according to HD SOP, prior to the recent HR conference call.
Looked at my reviews...glowing for the most part..an asset to HD, etc.
Praise regarding customer service.
Need help with this 3 strike thing please. What is SOP?
No response from Atlanta HR who was supposed to be looking into my situation after 8 messages, so giving up on that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.