Recent Terminations Home Depot

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 126 of 126)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

ch44j2 in Los Lunas, New Mexico

40 months ago

7 years with H.D. over age 40. Terminated for policy violation. No warning. Worked Friday, fired on Sunday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

orangeokie in Patchogue, New York

40 months ago

Find an labor law attorney and round up others if you think this was a termination due to age and longevity. The SM's clean house when things are slow...helps their bottom line and bonuses. Happens every year around this time and even before, right after garden season is over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

orangeguy63 in Buffalo, New York

28 months ago

I was recently terminated after asking another employee in Tool rental to help me clean tools and not browse the radio shack website. The other employee then told me I would have to fight him if i was going to disrespect him like that, he then went on to jump at me and call me a racial slur(i am white he was black). I called a amanager and got a key carrier i was told to leave tool rental which I did. I waited 20 minutes before anyone even checked on me. When they did it was the same key carrier and she proceeded to tell me that they needed to make sure the other employee was ok and that i was a big boy and could take care of myself. she also told me my perceptions of the situation were wrong. I called the situation bull$h*t this was said in backroom with the door closed and no one but me and the key carrier present.
I admitted to saying that and was terminated for it. I spoke to the AAC in Atlanta and was told managment mishandled the situation but it didn't matter. I was also told my manager could over ride the term. He had told me diffrent and said he wanted to fight it. The next day when he called me at home he changed his story when I asked him about this and hung up on me.
When this occured there was one salaried manager in the building and 3 key carriers and no one could check on me. I was treated as the agressor and not a victim. The key carrier who handled the situation has been targeting me for two years and I have sent documents to Atlanta about it and all I ever got was it's not a problem dont worry about it.
Home Depot wrongfully terminated me two years ago when this key carrier was FES and targeting me then when i was head cashier.
The other day I spoke with a director of the AAC and mentioned that I was told by anotherperson there that the situation was handled poorly by managment and the reply I got was you should not have been told that and that I needed to taked repsoniblity for my actions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I told this person what was sait to me and was told that didnt matter either.
to top it all off my termination papers say I was in a altercation with another employee in tool rental swore at him. that is why I was fired.
I never swore in tool rental and wasn't in a fight. I swore off the floor and admitted it.
Now they are contesting my uneployment by saying I lied on job application 7 years ago.
It's funny how they can admit managment was wrong and escalted the situation but I get fired for be treated like a big baby and calling Bull on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TermedWithoutCause in Alhambra, California

28 months ago

orangeguy63 in Buffalo, New York said:

You were not fired for any of the reasons above.
You were paid too much.

With unemployment, insist you were wrongfully termed.
If you have to appeal it, do so.
You will get it.

katnkitchen in Granbury, Texas

28 months ago

I was terminated in 11/11 from HD. I gave a 3% pro rewards discount to a new contractor. This was not against rules, nothing in training, no verbal or physical writeup. HD did not follow protocal on term-SOP not adhered to. Said they didn't have to follow as they said I was losing co money. I had 700K up for the year at the Pro Desk when this happened. They fought unemployment and I lost even though I had proof, documentation, etc. I have long suspected it was because of my salary (43K yrly) and have considered suit before my 18mos expires. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

katnkitchen in Granbury, Texas said: I was terminated in 11/11 from HD. I gave a 3% pro rewards discount to a new contractor. This was not against rules, nothing in training, no verbal or physical writeup. HD did not follow protocal on term-SOP not adhered to. Said they didn't have to follow as they said I was losing co money. I had 700K up for the year at the Pro Desk when this happened. They fought unemployment and I lost even though I had proof, documentation, etc. I have long suspected it was because of my salary (43K yrly) and have considered suit before my 18mos expires. Any suggestions?

You have no suit against this.
You have no legal recourse.
Their game is very smart.
Do you have another level of appeal with Unemployment??
It was most certainly because of your salary.
Unless you were a complete ***hole, which I very much doubt.

Google your state's U.I. guidelines,
and other online resources
If what you say is accurate, and the whole truth..
You may indeed have reason to appeal.

Bear in mind, the longer you are unemployed,
The worse it looks.
Swallow your pride and take anything you can get -
Within reason
Even IF you get U.I.
Don't get addicted.

Get a job, and respect yourself..
I know you do.

28 months ago

Yeah, the system sucks,
But we are NOT victims.
We are the ones who will succeed.

I'm sorry if my comments are not conducive to a class action age-discrimination lawsuit.

But I'll tell you the truth - I'd rather live homeless and starved than face a Holy God when I am dead, as they shall face, and give account for the evil deeds done in this life - as so many have done by throwing us all under the bus. Get over it. There's no money in this. But there is indeed the blackest future awaiting for those sorry slime-conveyors, who care solely for self and self-interest, and have ZERO regard for their fellow man. These are the ones I am most frightened for.

28 months ago

Whooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rpm837 in Hartford, Connecticut

28 months ago

I am currently working with Arthor Coia, Head of the Laborers Union in R.I..
We want to Unionize Home Depot and make it work. We are looking for the right people to help. Any Former associates that worked for HD for many years, Terminated, with connections in the stores you worked near are encouraged to apply...
I was Termed for deciding to wash the windows in the Vestibule. Sure, I took it upon myself to do that. I thought I was,"living the values"... 20 years! That is how long I worked there...
Email me: rpm837@gmail.com

Was an ASM in Your Town, Ontario

27 months ago

I worked for THD for a decade and worked my way from PT to FT to Supervisor to ASM. I really tried to NOT be the managers you folks are posting about. I'm sure there were people that disliked me and my style, but my conscience was always at peace. I am sad to admit that YES hr does have a ft/pt quota and if it's not met, people will be fired. YES managers bonus on profitability and firing higher paid staff increase profitability in the short term. I never participated in this in any of my stores, but I know it has happened in others. When a Lowes opened near us, I was told to find a reason to fire a certain Supervisor as we were over budget and the GM didn't like them. I refused to do it and was let go several months later. Another tactic used is to put someone on a PIP (basically probation) and design it so that they cannot meet expectations and are fired without severance or EI. The company does have an "Aware Line" that is supposed to be for anonymous whistle blowing, but when it was called on the GM, all the managers were given the employee number, so we knew exactly who it was. The horror stories on this and other websites are very likely true. Termed, I feel for you, and the fact that people can be treated like you were is why I'm so happy to not work there anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

so Atlanta is saying I was termed for profanity, I recently sent them a email with several youtube videos showing the home depot cheer and and profanity being used at the end of it "the kicj=k some a$$" line which i pointed is prfanity. The AACG called me and the person I spoke to said it didnt matter. I told her that it was agisnt their own written rules and mine shouldn't stand. I asked her if she would let her 5 year old say that and was told this wasnt about her. when I pressed on she said she didn't need to be bullied or belittled my reply was but it was ok for managment to to do that to me at this point she hung up.The best part is they told NY State unemployment that i was fired for lying on my job app 7 years ago. The papers i have say use of profanity funny how they wont admit to NY state.

JohnDoe1980 in Linden, New Jersey

25 months ago

I was fired for a failure to help a customer, which I denied. I remember helping them out with a sewer snake unloading it out of their vehicle, then the store manager tells me that I put a scratch on the customer's car helping them unload it. There was no police report of this. If I did this and the customer was angry, why didn't they say something right there and that they wanted to speak to a manager at that time instead of waiting after leaving the store to do it and the managers wait almost 1 day after the incident to fire me? Then the store manager proceeds to tell me that it looks like I put the snake back without cleaning it on camera, it was a violation of company and health policy and that I was told by my supervisor previously and that he saw me do it on camera & didn't show me anything even though I didn't ask at the time even though I should have. The store manager proceeded to fire me with an assistant manager present and as witness. I DID NOT sign the write up. Therefore, winning unemployment benefits. If your going to say, you saw me do something, you can at least show me proof, so I have no case against you when I go to file unemployment and I would been in the wrong, now if you don't show me the proof of what I did and claim you saw something, first thing I think of you as my manager, that your a LIAR & just want to get rid of me. They waited till the end to the day to do this on Nov 26. I was covering a co-workers lunch in Tool Rental since I was cashiering and Tool Rental had a hole in the schedule for that day. An opener, a closer, but no mid. They put me in there to cover only. Its funny how they also waited till the end of the day to fire me and that also, the store manager told me he wanted to speak to me and when I approached him about it, every single time, he tells me, he'll get to me later about it the two times I asked. Both before and after my lunch. Getting a full day out of me & terminating me 7 and a half hours of my shift.

JohnDoe1980 in Home Depot Sucks, Georgia

25 months ago

Since I left, one person in my department, which was Tool Rental quit, the other in the Lot got fired and besides that, they have shuffled supervisors around including making one an Operations ASM since the one that was there as a "witness" to my firing when the store manager fired me himself transferred to a Home Depot in Brooklyn to become SM. Sometimes I look at it that their wish of becoming store manager might not always be a blessing, but a curse because if you screw up, its on YOUR $^$#& since your now a store manager. I bet for the full time employment they saved themselves of me and put either another full timer in my place from another department who has had training or not or hire one or two part timers, whether temp or perm to save themselves money, they won't go out and do half the work I did and will be gone within 3 to 6 months after orientation and that's my gift to them for making my life miserable. The company and culture was a lot different in the last year. I had no write ups till this one manager transferred from another store and had it in for me, after that I had 4 write ups in two years. Three from him and the termination one from the store manager himself. At the very, very most, last a year the associates that will replace me might stay. I remember being told during my first 90 days back when I was first hired back in Jan 2005 that most associates last anywhere in Home Depot between 3 to 6 months and now I see that clearly well why. They fired me 2 months short of 8 years back Nov 26, 2012. I won unemployment, but even though others have warned me not to celebrate and that Home Depot might try appealing down the road, I am watching just in case even though most think they won't because they want to give me my money and be done with me. Unemployment didn't find any fault of my own in their claim to my firing, therefore I won unemployment. All I was given was the "termination" write up ONLY, but I DID NOT sign it. F Home Depot!

barb49 bandy in Phoenix, Arizona

22 months ago

Worked for Home Depot for 10 years. I was injured at work and 18 days later I get fired. Very strange. Up until my final three weeks with the company I was a star player. Two platinum awards. Even got an award the last store meeting. Then three write ups, boom boom boom. Yup, you guessed it: I'm an older employee and at the top of my pay scale. Expendable and discarded

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OrangeUGlad in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

TermedWithoutCause in Alhambra, California said: Blueman - You write: "And tell me again why we should be grateful for working for such a great company?"

It WAS a great company. It's not the same company anymore. And the Mngt really does not care about these things, or about anything as a matter of principle. Only about what effects them. They don't even want to KNOW about such concerns. It's strictly dog eat dog now. Sorry if this sounds dismal.

If it's any consolation, remember that each one of these mindless mercenaries are going to reap what they sow.

They are beholden entirely to corporate. And at the corporate heart, what was once warm hearts of flesh is now cold stone. In spite of rhetoric you see in the videos, the company is now a soul-less entity, not even a ghost of what it once was. They just use the same name, but the core values are truly dead.

If you are a stock holder now would be a good time to bail. I have seen associates with higher wages, but under the age of "age discrimination" being targeted. It's actually pretty easy for an average HD associate to get terminated. Since they removed all HR managers out of the stores they have silenced the associates voice of concern. District HR's do not know the average associate, and only listen to the store manager, or sometimes the ASM. You have no defense even with the aware-line. In fact the aware-line only labels you as a boat rocker, and expedites your direction towards unemployment. There should definitely be an investigation into the unfair treatment, and unjust terminations going on. The average life expectancy of a HD employee is less than 5 years, because after 5 years you will be fully vested. If they terminate you prior they can take back their company match, and denying you benefits that convinced you to apply.

OrangeUGlad in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

barb49 bandy in Phoenix, Arizona said: Worked for Home Depot for 10 years. I was injured at work and 18 days later I get fired. Very strange. Up until my final three weeks with the company I was a star player. Two platinum awards. Even got an award the last store meeting. Then three write ups, boom boom boom. Yup, you guessed it: I'm an older employee and at the top of my pay scale. Expendable and discarded

I guess you know now that it isn't a store level decision. When they go into those meeting, and plan out their strategies based on corporate/district quotas i.e write-ups, terminations, wage-capping, etc. Instead of being honest and setting wage limits for certain positions, they bait you with raises, and then use them against you when you reach your limit. You know when you are at your limit when they set you up to fail. Change your schedule without notification, manipulate the time clock and your punches, change SOP on the fly, force you to break the rules and then write you up for it, deny your requests off, promote you without permission, without a raise, and without eliminating your prior position, under-staff your department, and then write you up for "failure to provide excellent customer service" or "Blatant disregard" for whatever they pull out of their cracks, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shocked and saddened in Escondido, California

21 months ago

It does not matter what you give them. I was termed for "breaking a reasonable employer rule". Which is hilarious when SOP changes by the hour. Loyalty is a one way street with HD. I worked for them for 13.5 yrs and saw so many good people axed for pitiful reasons. I made them millions in spite of understocking and short staffing. In CA, LP does terminations which means they will accuse you of everything under the sun trying to beat you down and to try tocollect money from you to compensate for their ineptidude. Make no mistake, if you are a long term employee, you are an endangered species. You stand between them and their success sharing bonus. Which by the way, is a hell of a lot more than you will ever see. Count on fighting for unemployment. Do not take this personally. They do it to everyone. They view older employees as a liability. You are a number. You are not a person. They only care about themselves, but expect total loyalty and mindless driven dollars from the staff.

cheryl in Ellwood City, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

I understand how you feel, I was with Wal-mart as a dept manager for twenty years,well... 19 years and 10 months.After all those years I started getting wrote up for "not doing my job" and 2 months before my 20th anniversary I got fired.

Tryintokeepalevelheadinchaos in Grand Blanc, Michigan

21 months ago

hottwhls in Moreno Valley, California said: well I guess you have not spoken to anyone or aware of the wrongfull writeups, I make up nothing and base everything on what I have seen..you on the other hand have just have not seen them.I dont like unions either, they never helped me when I was in a union, although facts are facts. One must be open minded to understand and what is taking place not just with one company but many.Reading is a good thing, seening it is even better.[/QUOT

I am a 9 year full time associate. What I have seen is some long term associates that were allowed to skate by bending the rules are now being called into question and in some cases ( mostly justifiably ) terminated. We had one guy who was a 14 year vet that was a habitual time stealer. Another was an 11 year kitchen designer who simply refused to comply with a few reasonable demands of her position. Our store was once high volume but thanks to a new Menards 3 miles away we are now considered low volume, so undoubtably there are changes taking place. I really dont believe there to be any conspiracy taking place to get rid of higher paid tenured associates, but I believe that the company is taking a look at some questionable tenured associates and taking mostly appropriate measures to correct certain situations. We have had alot of long term associates with self entitlement issues because of how long they have been with the company. My personal belief is that any long term ( over 7 year ) associate has a responsibility to the company to be a power of example to newer employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former associate in New York

15 months ago

TermedWithoutCause in Alhambra, California said:

Maybe it's just the district! The managers are all crooked in the district! AACG told me I had no proof the pics weren't me. I still don't have the darn tattoos and submitted to them the 178 text messages and voice mails from my harasser and that wasn't enough! The texts and voice mails were sent to them not once but twice and they just don't care! After over 10 years I was replaced with someone making $8/hour. I have found better but it still hurt after never getting a real vacation that they didn't call me to ask questions or to have me come in. Never in 10 years did I get a week off and worked 6&7 day weeks so they wouldn't have to hire for my position! I shouldn't have ever let my blood turn orange!

15 months ago

Tryintokeepalevelheadinchaos in Grand Blanc, Michigan said:

I agree with the first half of this post - that longer tenured folks tend to get slack and feel entitled, but not all. Many newer employees do this too.

Where this post goes REALLY wrong is where the impression is given that tenured people are all slackers. This post also fails to acknowledge the downright serpentine tactics of managers who railroad tenured employees out the door for the sake of bonuses, etc. I've seen far too many GOOD, faithful workers who were tenured, and after the great recession hit, were framed up royally with ridiculous and flimsy charges. We're talking about folks with good reviews and all kinds of merit badges, who suddenly were trash because they paid too much money for what times could afford. At least that's how it is here on the West Coast.

I certainly understand a business decision, and can take that like a man. It's when they lie & fabricate, and trump up charges almost out of thin air, all whilst they turn a blind eye to their faves & drinking buddies, who commit truly terminable offenses.

I've never seen such dark, ugly, vicious low-crawling in the corporate world such as this. If you're a manager reading this, and you're anything like them, shame on you. Your future is as black as can be. If you're not like them, get out and find a decent employer to work for.

14 months ago

OrangeUGlad in Doylestown, Pennsylvania said: If you are a stock holder now would be a good time to bail. I have seen associates with higher wages, but under the age of "age discrimination" being targeted. It's actually pretty easy for an average HD associate to get terminated. Since they removed all HR managers out of the stores they have silenced the associates voice of concern. District HR's do not know the average associate, and only listen to the store manager, or sometimes the ASM. You have no defense even with the aware-line. In fact the aware-line only labels you as a boat rocker, and expedites your direction towards unemployment. There should definitely be an investigation into the unfair treatment, and unjust terminations going on. The average life expectancy of a HD employee is less than 5 years, because after 5 years you will be fully vested. If they terminate you prior they can take back their company match, and denying you benefits that convinced you to apply.

I heard now that the average life expectancy of a new associate at Home Depot back when I started with them in Jan 2005 before I was fired in Nov 2012 was 6 months from another full time associate that had more seniority then I did before my 90 day review back before April 25m 2005. Now with Home Depot hiring only part time under the Obamacare law of after 29 hours, they offer you benefits, Home Depot is cutting all the part timers below 29 hours to avoid having to offer health insurance to the associate should they take it from Home Depot if you work over 29 hours, but because of all this, I bet its less than 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if even sooner its less than 90 days now whether Home Depot lets you go before 90 days or not that or the associate leaves on their own whether benefits and unemployment are a factor or not. I am glad to be out of Home Depot. Very Shady! My life is so much better without them now as far the stress being gone from my life.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

This crap happens at all retail companies.

14 months ago

TermedWithoutCause in Alhambra, California said: I agree with the first half of this post - that longer tenured folks tend to get slack and feel entitled, but not all. Many newer employees do this too.

Where this post goes REALLY wrong is where the impression is given that tenured people are all slackers. This post also fails to acknowledge the downright serpentine tactics of managers who railroad tenured employees out the door for the sake of bonuses, etc. I've seen far too many GOOD, faithful workers who were tenured, and after the great recession hit, were framed up royally with ridiculous and flimsy charges. We're talking about folks with good reviews and all kinds of merit badges, who suddenly were trash because they paid too much money for what times could afford. At least that's how it is here on the West Coast.

I certainly understand a business decision, and can take that like a man. It's when they lie & fabricate, and trump up charges almost out of thin air, all whilst they turn a blind eye to their faves & drinking buddies, who commit truly terminable offenses.

I've never seen such dark, ugly, vicious low-crawling in the corporate world such as this. If you're a manager reading this, and you're anything like them, shame on you. Your future is as black as can be. If you're not like them, get out and find a decent employer to work for.

You gotta remember, like all companies, if you don't kiss ass, even at Home Cheapo, you won't get far. These managers I've seen and HR and their clique at my old store have kissed so much ass till their noses are brown that they refuse to advance and leave Home Cheapo for somewhere else because if they leave, their nothing and they know it! If they say they worked hard to get where their at, they are lying to us and to themselves. Home Depot is not a company to work hard and move up with and no future with unless you kiss a lot of butt. Maybe at one time it was, but not anymore.

Jack Kerouac in Newport News, Virginia

8 months ago

Several weeks ago, a customer while returning her grill, complained about me sharing my work experience while loading a grill. The OPS manager and Store manager sided with the customer. They decided that it was time to terminate me. I decided to resign instead of being terminated. In the eighteen months I worked there, Home Depot didn't seem to recognize any hard work. They seemed to give out Homer Badges and job promotions to people who snitch and slack (basically people who were in their little clique). The pay was not good. I had to wait a year for a raise and they only gave me a very small one. They promoted two DSs to ASMs who were basically not ready for it and just horsed around. Three people got promoted to DS who had less experience than I and didn't do anything. It was such a great relief to me. I won't miss working at The Home Depot. I will only come back there when Unions show up!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.