Reverse Prejudice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

won't give it in Atlanta, Georgia

93 months ago

Regarding Peachtree City Home Depot Human Resoursces Manager (which is listed as an open position.) Is managed by an African American woman who is extremly incooperatiave. I applied for any open position just to get my foot in the door 3 months before she was hired. Consistantly went to the store manager asking for an interview but they were without the Human Res. Mgr. When she was finally there, I called & she did not have time for an interview. I called back the following week, she asked me to give her another week before calling. I did again, left a message never got a call back. Going to the store, I spoke to an assoicate I knew, 4 people have since been hired. 3 AA 1 White. I won't shop there again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Cashman in Clawson, Michigan

93 months ago

won't give it said: Regarding Peachtree City Home Depot Human Resoursces Manager (which is listed as an open position.) Is managed by an African American woman who is extremly incooperatiave. I applied for any open position just to get my foot in the door 3 months before she was hired. Consistantly went to the store manager asking for an interview but they were without the Human Res. Mgr. When she was finally there, I called & she did not have time for an interview. I called back the following week, she asked me to give her another week before calling. I did again, left a message never got a call back. Going to the store, I spoke to an assoicate I knew, 4 people have since been hired. 3 AA 1 White. I won't shop there again.

Look, it is POLTICALLY INCORRECT to note that. Don't you know there is no such thing as discrimination against white males?????
I'm over 50, have a TON of PR experience and can't get hired to say my life, despite having done just about everything there is to do in the media and PR. But, when I walk into an office and see a white female that's 29 sitting there, I can guarantee you I ain't going to get that job, no way no how. While the women bitch and moan about the so-called glass ceiling, they practice it zealously -- and the pitiful thing is, most of them don't even realize it.
I recently interviewed at Home Depot and shouldn't have bothered. The woman who interviewed me was 30 or so, and was on probably her second or third job. The HR guy was an African American guy who was about 29 or so and who do you think they ended up hiring??? A female, about 27. Discrimination??? Naw. Couldn't possibly be.
Like many others on this board, I have found Home Depot's HR department to be unorganized, unprofessional and basically non-existent. They should get rid of it for all the good it does them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

Perhaps it had nothing to do with race or gender but your horrific grammatical skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Zane in Stamford, Connecticut

92 months ago

You must be very proud-Plano

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

C B

92 months ago

Home Depote has an afirmative action plan. If the goals for a store are not met the managers are fired. So if the manager has a goal for a position anyone that does not look right are not considered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bubba in Fullerton, California

92 months ago

And thus we see why I worry more about regular racisim more than reverse racisim. That person has just embarassed the entire city of Plano, Texas with that statement.

Of course this says nothing about the original poster's complaint. Is home depot doing a good job of hiring qualified people? Are their HR people good, or a bunch of coneheads?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Layla in Woodstock, Georgia

92 months ago

There is no such thing as "reverse" racism, or "regular" racism.... racism is racism, whether this is a case of it or not, can we please stop acting like white people have the patent on judging on skin color, and if anyone hates on you because you are white, it's reversed?? Seriously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

myself in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

Folks, please DO NOT confuse "racism" with "bigotry". Please consult your dictionaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in New Haven, Michigan

92 months ago

Unfortunately, sometimes our body language or self expression may reflect how we truly feel about certain people. If you have a general disdain and/or dislike for someone or something…sometimes it is difficult to hide your true feelings. Some folks are even uncomfortable with their body image or the fact that they may not have a certain level of education. Believe it or not, no matter how we may try to hide our true feelings, someone who is very intuitive can pick up on all of this then we go off and wonder, “Why is it that I was overlooked for that certain position?” If the position that you are applying for is consumer or client driven a company cannot afford to have such negative individuals representing their organization. It is all about that all mighty green. If you lack educational skills, go back and enhance your skills. If you have difficulty accepting those who are younger, older, of a different race or religion (you get the idea, I should not have to list any more) then take some classes that will assist you in learning how to effectively deal with those differences. Take the time out to study “their” history, ignorance blinds many. It is very easy to sit back and to blame others for our own shortcomings. Check your attitudes at the trash can and get on with developing that negative side of you. You might discover that you will have a different outcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kandy in Austin, Texas

92 months ago

20 years in the retail field in the Home Improvement industry qualifies me to say this will never be a high paying industry.
To keep cost down and prices lower-gotta cut the fat somewhere.
The hours are long-people like to shop Nights Weekends and Holiday-its a national pastime.
Discrimination ,age wise color wise and gender wise is alive al very well in all fields - everywhere,land of the free remember.
And last but not least no body needs a college education to say "Yes the green paint is on isle 8."
However-I served as a department manager,HR administrator,Kitchen Cabinet designer and in a Decor center associate with another popular company-and raised three kids working horrendous hours and managed to pay off a student loan.Its not a career its a job untill you find something better-it took me 20 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sheldon Francis in New York, New York

92 months ago

I have applied twice to Home Depot and have never recived a response. Kudo's to LOWES. They are much more professional and caring. Home Depot has gotten fat off the backs of individuals who are just trying to make a living. They do not care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in New York, New York

92 months ago

well what I will say about home depot is this:

My husband applied to HD as a LP manager and received an email back the next week telling him to come in for an interview.

After the first interview he immediatly got another interview and then another.

The third interview was a 31/2 hour assesment that included him and 12 other people all of whom were very qualified.

NOBODY GOT CALLED BACK...I KNOW THIS HOW??

well I know this because the job is still available - the postings were still up and the interview was over 5 months ago.

There is something wrong there !!

Former HR Manager in Lexington, Virginia

92 months ago

Robert Cashman said:
Look, it is POLTICALLY INCORRECT to note that. Don't you know there is no such thing as discrimination against white males?????
I'm over 50, have a TON of PR experience and can't get hired to say my life, despite having done just about everything there is to do in the media and PR. But, when I walk into an office and see a white female that's 29 sitting there, I can guarantee you I ain't going to get that job, no way no how. While the women b**** and moan about the so-called glass ceiling, they practice it zealously -- and the pitiful thing is, most of them don't even realize it.
I recently interviewed at Home Depot and shouldn't have bothered. The woman who interviewed me was 30 or so, and was on probably her second or third job. The HR guy was an African American guy who was about 29 or so and who do you think they ended up hiring??? A female, about 27. Discrimination??? Naw. Couldn't possibly be.
Like many others on this board, I have found Home Depot's HR department to be unorganized, unprofessional and basically non-existent. They should get rid of it for all the good it does them!

Perhaps you were as condescending in your interviews as you are in this post and that had an impact. Certainly it could not have gone unnoticed.
Additionally, the expectations Home Depot has for HR Managers are herculean. Hiring is often the least of their concerns - and certainly hiring someone who shows themselves to be pushy, condescending, etc. is not attractive as they know this person will only add to their workload.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

92 months ago

Former HR Manager said:
Perhaps you were as condescending in your interviews as you are in this post and that had an impact. Certainly it could not have gone unnoticed.
Additionally, the expectations Home Depot has for HR Managers are herculean. Hiring is often the least of their concerns - and certainly hiring someone who shows themselves to be pushy, condescending, etc. is not attractive as they know this person will only add to their workload.

What does Home Depot expect from their HR managers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Murphy in Cleveland, Ohio

91 months ago

Former HR Manager said:
Spoken like a true Home Depot HR. You are correct in saying that hiring is the least of your concerns. Home Depot HR's do everything but hiring because there aren't enough hours in a week to do what is expected of them. They too often are given "busy" work by support staff and the overflow of paperwork their own SM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Naperville, Illinois

91 months ago

Jessica said: well what I will say about home depot is this:
My husband applied to HD as a LP manager and received an email back the next week telling him to come in for an interview.
After the first interview he immediatly got another interview and then another.
The third interview was a 31/2 hour assesment that included him and 12 other people all of whom were very qualified.
NOBODY GOT CALLED BACK...I KNOW THIS HOW??
well I know this because the job is still available - the postings were still up and the interview was over 5 months ago.
There is something wrong there !!

I agree. I have applied to several positions with HD. I've been in supervision for over 25 years and more than likely have enough experience to work there. After a work force reduction at my last job I'm out looking for work again. So far not even a call for a basic interview and the job is still on the board. Oh well another day in paradise.

Ms.2nice in Tucker, Georgia

91 months ago

won't give it said: Regarding Peachtree City Home Depot Human Resoursces Manager (which is listed as an open position.) Is managed by an African American woman who is extremly incooperatiave. I applied for any open position just to get my foot in the door 3 months before she was hired. Consistantly went to the store manager asking for an interview but they were without the Human Res. Mgr. When she was finally there, I called & she did not have time for an interview. I called back the following week, she asked me to give her another week before calling. I did again, left a message never got a call back. Going to the store, I spoke to an assoicate I knew, 4 people have since been hired. 3 AA 1 White. I won't shop there again.
If she didn't want to hire you all she had to say is that she don't want to hire you.. some people really does beat around the bush big time. Don't worry something good will come your way just leave everything to God above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Milton in Dedham, Massachusetts

91 months ago

Robert Cashman said:
I'm over 50, have a TON of PR experience and can't get hired to say my life, despite having done just about everything there is to do in the media and PR. But, when I walk into an office and see a white female that's 29 sitting there, I can guarantee you I ain't going to get that job, no way no how. While the women bitch and moan about the so-called glass ceiling, they practice it zealously -- and the pitiful thing is, most of them don't even realize it.
That is a bunch of crap! There is disrimination against white males. Does not matter how smart or educated you are. If they see a minority, they will hire them before a white male! They are afraid of any lawsuits. Trust me, I could have sued Bank of Boston because they hired a Chinese girl with no experience over me and I had 10 years banking experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ms.2nice in Atlanta, Georgia

91 months ago

Corprate america sucks on so many leves.The thing is with these jobs is either you have the exprience but no degree or, you have the education but no experience. My brother is a computer engineer and he is dame good at it , he went for an interview with bellsouth and just because the guy saw him had all these expeirence and and the degree he feel threaten and there for my brother didn't get hired.Like I saide before Corprate America sucksssssss.:{

okie in Norman, Oklahoma

91 months ago

Robert Cashman said:
I too am a mature worker. I had enough experience to be interviewed..but...everyone else that was also there for an interview was young...four that already hired,completing their week training were young
I did not get the position. i did notice on my way out most of the employees were very young.

Sal in Newburgh, New York

91 months ago

People! Just because a job is announced does not mean that the employer is really looking for someone. The position may be already filled through nepotism and the local Home Depot is posting the job just to look politically correct. The other thing to consider is that Home depot may not be looking for the most qualified person. (Have you asked an HD employee for help lately?) They may be looking for the person that will stay for cheap pay. After all, it is nothing more than a glorified supermarket selling hammers, nuts and bolts instead of bread, milk and eggs. How do you make 100 HD workers disappear? Ask for help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in North Ridgeville, Ohio

90 months ago

My take on all the intervies but no one ever gets hired:

All these companies need a way to justify jobs when they hire family and friends.

So, what better way to look busy and write things off on paperwork at the end of the day than to have us unemployed go in and let them interview us?!

M. Maxian in Naperville, Illinois

90 months ago

Exactly. Apparently Home Depot is not the only one. I'm finding out that other companies do the same thing. If the HR or Operations Manager is interviewing ask in a diplomatic way, where they are at in the interview process and how many people they will consider. If he or she replies that they have three or four external candidates and one or two internal they are just going outside the company to show that they have. And in most cases if your applying to jobs that are suited to your exact talents and your over 50 it's all over the minute you walk out the door. I'm sure were either well or over qualified for the position and considered TOO old or our salary is too high for them. They want to bring the most amount of talent possible without paying for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Willis in Wildomar, California

89 months ago

Im in the Apartment Maintenance Biz. For THE leading REIT in No. America. I have Corporate accts with both Lowes and HD, which are practically next door to each other in my area. For what it's worth, yes...anyone can point and say, "the green paint is in aisle 8." But when you need a 3/4" NP Pipe Tap, or a outlet tube seal for a Porter cable Compressor, (you get the idea), go directly to HD. Do not stop at Lowes, do not ask anyone at the Pro Desk, go DIRECTLY to the center of the store, look for the OLDEST, GRAYEST, SLOWEST WALKING, man with thick rimmed glasses and likely a flannel shirt and submit your query. You will be on your way in short order- with your part or often, a suggested alternate solution that will be a lesson in itself. You guys with 20 yrs in the buisiness have a great deal to offer the home improvement retail industry. It is sad that it is so hard to continue to do what you love to do. Your obstacle is clearly the front line management in the under 30 bracket that will never understand what "Old school" customer service is. The upside of this whole thing is that, atleast here in SoCal, the independent local Hardware Merchants are fast on the rebound, and yes, fully staffed with well seasoned, neighborly employees, that truly WANT to help you with your problems / projects. At this time, their prices are VERY competitive with the big chains. Check out HANKS HARDWARE in Temecula CA. You'd think you died and went to heaven. OH, After you get your problem solved at Home Depot, its OK to stop at LOWES on the way home...they got pretty good hot dogs out front.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chas in bg in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

89 months ago

HD saved my ass when I was out of work. The key is knowing someone on the inside and getting to see the store manager. My manager was great at what he did. sometime he was a prick but look at the fiscal resposibility he has. If he doesn't make numbers he can get replaced. Like a cog in a wheel. He was passionate about his job and I admired him.He wanted team players with the right attitude. Perhaps the complainers are not going about it correctly. Hey, I applied online and never got a response. Take the bull by the horns and ask to see the store manager. It is not a place to make money..but enough to get by. thats why all there are in their twenty's or 60's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BT in Las Vegas, Nevada

89 months ago

Robert Cashman in Clawson, Michigan said: Look, it is POLTICALLY INCORRECT to note that. Don't you know there is no such thing as discrimination against white males?????

You think there is no discrimination against white males?? What decade do you think we're living in---the 1950's?? And you think it is "politcally incorrect" to say white males can be discriminated against? Please! I am a white male and I generally get along with most non-whites I meet, but every now and then I do meet a non-white that is racist and hates whites...it is as clear as day by the way they look at me and talk to me. Racism is no longer limited to certain people's...it is committed against every culture and nationality. You need to see the movie "Crash"... this movie will open up your mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Al Kabong in Marinette, Wisconsin

89 months ago

yes signor' Chas!

Take the horn eee bull!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gary willis in Tecumseh, Oklahoma

86 months ago

Milton in Dedham, Massachusetts said: That is a bunch of crap! There is disrimination against white males. Does not matter how smart or educated you are. If they see a minority, they will hire them before a white male! They are afraid of any lawsuits. Trust me, I could have sued Bank of Boston because they hired a Chinese girl with no experience over me and I had 10 years banking experience.

Yes, I agree with you. I think it is time that someone stand up for the white male. Even if you look at a college scholarship application there are no scholarships for the white male. Furthermore,I think we need to stand up against corporate America and say enough is enough on alote of issues.

EyesWideOpen in Hoover, Alabama

80 months ago

Each Home Depot store gets at least 100 applications a day via the web. It's true when they say there just isn't enough time in a day to look at all of them. There is more to HR than looking at applications!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

will let me go in Grants Pass, Oregon

4 months ago

Milton in Dedham, Massachusetts said: That is a bunch of crap! There is disrimination against white males. Does not matter how smart or educated you are. If they see a minority, they will hire them before a white male! They are afraid of any lawsuits. Trust me, I could have sued Bank of Boston because they hired a Chinese girl with no experience over me and I had 10 years banking experience.

I waas a new Male 48 Kitchen designer, ..
Woman manager, woman ASM,woman, woman Dept . Head, woman COS, Woman co worker got all the good hours ,days off I was pressure to get out , I sent Mr Blake a email, guy calls me to invetagate, after two years tells me I have a problem with woman its all your Fault MR.. This is all in your mind ..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.