Salaries and Benefits

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 387)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Ray in Oreland, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

If you've been there for 5 years and you're not making at least $20.00 per hour...look for something else and get out of there...or you will end up stuck there for the rest of your life...don't quit 'til you find something better but get out A.S.A.P.!!!
Try Lowes!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

unable to say in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

Stay away from the Home Depot if you have any experience. you will be put into a position that is "really" impossible to accomplish anything. You will have around 20 reports to work each week, each report will take 2-4 hours. then when you get behind (which you will), you will be put on notice. then before the holiday you wil be terminated so the store manager can increase his bonus and rehired in january for less money..and a clean slate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

David B in Orlando, Florida

93 months ago

Somebody Who knows said:
Don't worry, they don't pay good anyway. You're not missing anything by them not contacting you.

I have extensive experience in Eclipse, the software used in corporate HQ Orlando, rare in Florida, much less Orlando where I live. No reply to resume submitted to the dozens of jobs posted in last 2 years. I have lost all 20 years of respect I had for Home Depot.

I did interview for an estimator position, the pay offered $32K, was an insult, 1/2 of what I am currently earning - well below the industry average.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Quintin

93 months ago

I have heard that from most, you really said it right, I was able to get a job with a great company
Home Depot needs to improve their employees pay and get more professional employees I realize they are a big company, buy I once worked for a big company for over 20 years they went out of business,it can happen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Herb S ~~~Oconee, Georgia in Scottdale, Georgia

93 months ago

Sorry to hear such negative remarks about HD,as for me ,my experience with the hiring process was as expected. I applied over internet,told the truth when questions asked(can never come back to bite you!)was given pre-interview at their hiring fair,was contacted for follow-up with store manager.was given drug test and offered job. Mind you I just moved from Florida and I only wanted to work part-time as second job(again being honest about my reason). I am more than qualified in my trade and yes the money was not what I could get in "the real world" but no one twisted my arm and pay OK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cheyenne in Prescott, Arizona

93 months ago

Somebody Who knows said:
Don't worry, they don't pay good anyway. You're not missing anything by them not contacting you.

I currently work there and they pay way better than Wal-Mart. If you have experience you should at least start out at 9.00/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in St. Louis in Saint Louis, Missouri

92 months ago

I began working at THD as a cashier in Tulsa, and had the chance to promote to an HRM in another state. Yes, the hours are long, but they tell you that right in the job profile, so if long hours, nights and weekends aren't okay - the retail industry is not for you, no matter which big box it is. There were too many applications to respond individually - but to my knowledge most companies are only able to contact those they want to interview, unless it's an autoreply email. I got to serve as a District Peer and help train other HRM's, then got promoted again to a Div. Learning Mgr position, again in another State. Yes, there are a lot of systems the mgrs have to leverage in their decision making - but that's inherent in a large corporation. I got more training, leadership skills, support, operations savvy and business acumen during my years with the Depot than in all my other mgmt jobs combined. Yes it wasn't quite as entreprenurial with Bob as it had been with Bernie and Arthur, but they chose him for one reason, to bring operational efficiency to the store in order for it to not only survive, but continue to grow and be profitable. (Which it did both during Bob's stay)People who love to rant about how bad management is are typically not trying to part of the solution no matter where they work (or dont' work. I can never repay the debt of gratitude I have for those folks in orange aprons, from the ones I worked with in the stores up to the execs in Atlanta. I'd never say it's an easy place to work, hardest job I ever had, but it was also the best. Perhaps you guys should open your own business and prove there's a way to please everyone all the time. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mister X in Edwardsville, Illinois

92 months ago

John Tri said: I do agree with you, I am also more than qualified, Home Depot nevers replys and continues to post the jobs.
I think Home Depot needs to consider another way of seeking employees because presently I would advise no one to aplly to a Home Depot Job because they will not get back
I agree- My area just opened a new box store and the people they hired are a TOTAL joke- A bunch of stoners that still live in thier parents basement. They don't want someone with experience, because they will have to pay them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff R in Elmhurst, Illinois

92 months ago

James B. said:
I worked for Home Depot in Idaho for about 4 months. I was classified as a Part-Time employee and I qualified for part-time benefits (50%). My normal hours were varied, always on Saturday though. I averaged about 40 hours per week for the 4 months. I asked about the benefits and wondered why I passed my probationary period, worked 40 hours per week and I was still classified as a part-time employee. I was told by an assistant manager "that's just the way it works at HD".
My starting wage was $8.50 per hour and my ending wage was the same. I did not get any other "perks" or discounts. Once a year, around Christmas, we were given 5 - 10% off coupons to use ourselves (1) and pass the rest on to family and friends.
Unless you enjoy dissatisfied customers, rude comments, long hours, low pay and 50% benefits for 100% work performed, I would pass on the HD. The only way I got a job was because I knew a friend who knew someone else in the HR department.
The most outrageous thing about HD is that they had a record year last year and the outgoing CEO got over $210 Million dollars in cash and stock options! Way to go HD! Screw the little people who work hard to make HD what it is today. Although I don't like their hiring practices, I still shop and prefer the HD over other home improvement warehouses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Umma Dono in South Windsor, Connecticut

92 months ago

What did you get paid. What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Home Depot?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Dallas, Texas

92 months ago

Umma Dono said: What did you get paid. What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Home Depot?

I work in the Quality Assurance dept. Make 15.50hr been there almost 2 yrs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rob at another Home Depot in Peyton, Colorado

92 months ago

Don't fret over not being called by Home Depot. Regardless of what AARP, Forbes and any other organization that says Home Depot is a great place to work, "ya gotta be there". I am proud to say that I am a retired telecommunications engineer with over thirty-five years of service, and although the telecommunications system is not the "Ma Bell" it was before Judge Green tore it to pieces, it was a great place to work and a solid, satisfying career. After I retired I took a part time job with Home Depot, as I heard what a great place it was to work, and how they utilized your past skills for placement. Well, so far I have worked selling flooring, appliances, flowers, paint, hardware and in almost every department except Electrical for the past five years, and most people that do work in the Electrical department, can't even spell ohms or watts. The Assistant Managers remind me of the keystone cops and have the people skills of a week old banana when it comes to an annual one on one with their employees. They don't pay a damn, but do pay Nardelli millions of dollars to keep him in the position of making the worst, most boring company presentations I have ever witnessed in my lifetime, and now they will pay him somewhere in the area of $250,000,000.00 (yes, that's millions) to get rid of the bum. Yet, the best is yet to come. The business has slowed, so they are cutting the hours of the experienced part time employees to a measly three and four hours a week to make up for the loss of revenue. So now they have weekly meetings to push you to work harder, but not longer, to get customers into the store to buy. I personally worked close with several contractors who were regulars $$$ in the store, making sure we had what they needed in stock, help them load their purchases and offered all the pleasantries a good sales person should, but they said goodbye in the last few months, because there was never anyone in the store to help them.

Don’t bother applying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank at another Home Depot in Peyton, Colorado

92 months ago

That last comment was well stated. I too work at one of the Colorado Springs stores and the store managers are mindless, useless number crunchers that don't even know who works for them. Everyone is expendable and they will schedule you to work un-Godly hours, closing the store on one day and openeing the next. The store is always out of stock on many items, because the home office decided the computer can do a better job than a real person, so you know the value they have for thier employees.

No common sense or people values.... I am presently applying for jobs elsewhere in retail, anything has to be better than this sinking ship! Stay away......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cyndi in Sutton, Massachusetts

92 months ago

great benefits. if you are part time, they never give you hours

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former HRM in Hillsdale, Michigan

92 months ago

Jeanette said: Well, I guess I was one of the "fortunate few" who heard back from them. I was asking $65K at the time and they called me. I went through a lengthy telephone pre-screen interview and in the course of thing found out that Home Depot has all of their HR processes documented. In other words, they don't need anyone with any real HR skills - anyone who can read can work the job, pretty much. Not a job for me. I built up my skills and experience to USE them. Another bad aspect is the hours - they're not M-F, 9 to 5. The days and hours will vary.
The fact that they constantly advertise says a lot about them - they obviously go through folks a lot, and one has to wonder why. Obviously, if you're looking for a stable postion, this won't be it.
You are quite correct. I was an HR Mgr. for 2 1/2 yrs and was exceptionally qualified. My skills, experience, and education far exceeded the necessary requirements at HD. Their primary focus for HR is on babysitting the ASM/s and SMs. If you are not one of the "boys" and grew up with HD and went through all the ranks, you can kiss success good-bye. Decision making is not one of their primary focal points. This is not a company that I would recommend to someone who has experience and knowledge in the HR field, especially if they have had an active role on a management team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Knoxville, Tennessee

92 months ago

So that explains why it's never crowded when I have to go there. The only time I go there is to get some odd item that Lowe's may not carry. i.e. paper tarps for painting... oh, and whey I feel like mixing I will buy their oops! paint..that is paint people have returned for whatever reason. Perhaps so many people have quit shopping there that you now have a better chance of lucking out and getting decent service.

I'm glad to know the truth about the kitchen designers. I went to either Lowes or Home Depot years ago and they guy had no designing clue, he could use the software but how can someone design a kitchen if they don't cook a lot?

Theresa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ski in Colorado Springs, Colorado

92 months ago

So anyway, the forum question asked what the salaries were like at THD. Mostly just saw a lot of griping so I was wondering if there are any folks who actually like working there? Also, I'd like to know what a Store HR Manager makes roughly/year? Any SLP graduates out there? Salary? What about an ASM salary?

Shawn in Fort Collins, Colorado

92 months ago

The HD is a great place to work. Remeber You can do it, we can help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Colorado Springs, CO. in Peyton, Colorado

92 months ago

You can do it, and we can help? That's a joke with a store full of youngsters, more worried about Weekend parties than how to repair your stuck window or squeaky door. HD does not want to pay or give hours to the older experienced people any more, as it takes away from the bottom line profit. Their last CEO Bob Nardelli, screwed up a good thing and left with a fistful of dollars and a smile on his face.

If memeory serves me, the last HR manager that left our store was in the $45 to $50k range, but hated the place because she thought she was an over qualified baby sitter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Depot'd out in Charlotte, North Carolina

92 months ago

Rick in Colorado Springs, CO. said:
Bravo, well said! I keep telling all the youngsters in the store... Do you really want to do this for the rest of your life? Unskilled minimum wage, minimum raises, living in a trailer park and no real life. Go back to school, get an education or a trade in something you'll enjoy for the next 40 years, retail is not it and Home Depot is the worst place to work!

I also agree with you, we need to get the message out to those who really don't have a clue and have bought into the whole sugar coated lie that the Depot is a good place to pursue a career. Don't get caught in a rut with the Depot, you will wake up one day and realize you have wasted years with them. Years you can never get back. If you really want to be successful, GET AN EDUCATION. Even if you have to continue working here while you're in school, Depot will cover part of your tuition won't they. There is no longer any job security with them, if you get the boot where are you going to be then, uneducated and going to work another underpaid job at some other retailer, so get an education, you'll love yourself for it. I promise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Depot'd out in Charlotte, North Carolina

92 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Home Depot?
What do you like best about working at Home Depot? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Starting salaries--Poverty Level (gets you all excited, right)

Bonuses--no bonuses.....well an occasional $25(before taxes) check if your store does better than expected on sales. Oh, and the coupon for I think 20% at Christmas, mine went straight where it belongs, trash can.

Benefits--About 1/2 of your paycheck(which isn't much to begin with)

You guys are gonna have to stand in single file to sign up for this great career with(out) so much potential......yeah, ....right.

RUN AWAY, FAST!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Colorado Springs, CO. in Peyton, Colorado

92 months ago

Ski said: So anyway, the forum question asked what the salaries were like at THD. Mostly just saw a lot of griping so I was wondering if there are any folks who actually like working there? Also, I'd like to know what a Store HR Manager makes roughly/year? Any SLP graduates out there? Salary? What about an ASM salary?

"Once upon a time", the Home Depot WAS a great place to work for and they paid a fare wage, but that is only what I have heard from the old timers who feel stuck now. I know a few of them are in the "Out Looking" mode too, but once you reach that certain age, it is difficult to find a good paying job. So beware... "Go Back to School" or you too can become a HD Stuckee. Pay??? Starting pay was genarally $7.85 to $8.50 an hour in most departments, but better $12.00 to $13.50 an hour in specialized departments like Appliance, Flooring, Kitchen Design and Millwork sales. However raises for all of them are still way below the COL and won't keep up with the needs of a growing family, trust me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nora in Austin, Texas

92 months ago

HD Management said:
Actually, senior management at Home Depot DOES read these forums. We continuously strive to stay in touch with customer feedback, both positive and negative, and make every effort to address the concerns we find online.
However, if you have experienced problems with Home Depot or a company within the Home Depot family, either online or at a store, I strongly suggest that you direct your feedback to the appropriate person(s). It is difficult to address outstanding issues when you vent to other consumers. If your claim is legitimate, bring it to the source, and be willing to stand behind your convictions. Online libel accomplishes nothing.

Not that I really believe you are actually with HD, but on the off chance...

It's difficult to address any issues with the appropriate person (especially if the "appropriate" person is HR) when you can't get in tough with an actual person. HD's corporate phone tree is horrendous and there is really no way to break into that ivory tower to let anyone know the emporer isn't wearing any clothes. You are way too busy patting each other's back on a perceive job well done.

The company I currently work for has an actual person answer each and every incoming phone call. Archaic, I know, but our customers appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Peyton, Colorado

92 months ago

John-Florida said: I have heard from many HD employees that HD is a good place to work excellent benefits and pay is much better than some others. Every HD I drive by is always busy so that definitly says something good about HD

Well, it's like they say, "The Grass Always Looks Greener". Read the last two pages of input from those that work there, worked there, or tried to work there. If you're trying for a management job and are lucky enough to get one, Good for you! Management are the only employees treated well, just ask Bob Nardelli and his yes-men. But everyone on the store front line is treated like a temporary employee.

Christmas parties were once held at nice restaurants, with great food and a nice atmosphere. Today, they give you fried chicken, sliced beef, macaroni-potato salads and you get to eat in the dirty, dusty, stuffy store that you get the pleasure to work in everyday. Yep, it's a great place to work, from the other side of the fence anyway! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dustin in Polk City, Iowa

92 months ago

Jim said: Since you think HD is such a good place to work, why don't you read the comments from people who are former HD employees. Do you think $8.50 an hour is a livable wage for a family of three? Do you think it is fair to be scheduled 40+ hours per week, including weekends, be classified as a part-time employee and receive part-time benefits? Do you think the former HD CEO was justified in taking home $210 million dollars?
I would love to talk to an executive of HD about their hiring and benefit policies. It is not liable, I still shop at HD, they are a great store. They just need to clean up their act a little.

Do you expect to get paid more than 8.50 an hour if you work at wal-mart??? No if you expect more than that out of a retail store than your crazy. All i have to say is go to college. I have worked at Home Depot for 1 year and i make 11.50 an hour. For retail thats great. You would never get paid that at wal-mart. If your still trying to get jobs at retail store when you have a family than you messed up in life somewere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Tekoa, Washington

92 months ago

The point wasn't the $8.50 an hour. I did go to college and I was in emergency services for several years. I was being looked at by management for a possible department head position.

I don't understand why a large company like HD can get away with classifying me as a PT employ and keep me on the schedule full-time. The jobs in my area of the country are very hard to come by. Sometimes we have to move or take what we can get.

I am a successful small business owner and will take those lessons I learned to keep my future employees covered with the basic benefits and pay them a livable wage.

Oh, by the way, my local Wal-Mart starts their employees out at over $11. dollars and hour with full benefits!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former HD HRM in Riverside, New Jersey

92 months ago

How long have you been working full-time hours while on part time status? I will honestly tell you that unless you're fully flexible, it will be difficult for your status to change to full time. (*name removed) had part time employees as the backbone of running HD and wanted them all to be available to work weekends. You are flexed up to full time, but as soon as the hours die, you're cut down to ... maybe at the minimum ... one day a week.

If you've been working full time hours for over three months, may I suggest that you speak with your HRM manager about a change in your status? After 90 days, they should be able to change your status and then you'll be required to receive full-time benefits.

Maybe with this new CEO taking over and the original founders of the HD getting their hands back into things, it may be a better place to work. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

As long as the existing culture remains, there is no possibility of Home Depot regaining it's past glory days. Without experienced home improvement professionals
in kitchens and baths, mill work, electrical, lighting, appliances, etc., they are swimming upstream. as the old saying goes, "This is America and you always get what you pay for." Well...was Mr. Nardelli worth the 210 million you had to pay to get rid of him?? Imagine instead that the same 210 million had been spent on trained and experienced professionals in their specific areas!!! Corporate America wake up and smell the coffee...I,m positive that all those who came before you, Kmart, Silo, Gimbels, Woolworths, Newherrys, Strawbridges, and soon to fall Walmart, thought they would last forever...but that's not a given. The most important part of any retail culture, especially home improvement, is qualified and trained sales specialists and...ask any HR executive anywhere in corporate America...retention, retention, retention!!! Hard to make the big bucks if you're only contact with the public is through 18-25 year olds making $10.00 an hour. That only works in third world countries and even there it doesn't last forever. Wake up guys before the ride is over!!

rep in depot in Scarborough, Maine

92 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Home Depot?
What do you like best about working at Home Depot? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

I have been a service rep inside the depot for over seven years.The starting salary is very low usually around 12 per hour.The work enviroment is hostile because of the depot way of treating employees.The biggest perk employees get is at christmas time when they receive a 10% off coupon of a purchase at the depot,imagine that your christmas bonus means you must spend money at the depot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Lawrenceville, Illinois

92 months ago

Perks?...No employee discounts, health plan (2oo per/check)
On the other hand 40 hrs/week @ $15.35/hr (me) and I'm NOT management

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kojo-Atlanta

92 months ago

I am employee of Home Depot(HD) working at the store level located in atlanta, Georgia. Don't waste your time applying because you will not hear from them. I recently graduated with a masters degree from the top most university in Georgia and I thought I would be able to secure a HR management position either at the store or corporate level. Lo and behold I have applied "several" times but never heard from anybody, even though they paid half of tuition fees.

I recently started applying to other organizations and have had interviews, IRONIC! I will be leaving soon, it amazes me what kind of people run their HR department.

fred flinstone in Eugene, Oregon

92 months ago

Good grief, I have never has the pleasure of reading so many negative rants about a company by so many negative people. Has it ever occurred to any of you that perhaps your obvious negative attitudes, poor spelling, lack of proper grammar and questionable education have more to do with you not getting the job than anything else? Try some personal responsibility for once in your lives. I know that is a commodity that is lacking in America these days. It's never your fault, always someone else. It can't be the misspelled words on the applications, the poor grammar. Nope, it's the bastards in HR. HD, like every other company on the planet, is in the habit of making money. They are going to pay the least they can get away with. Why pay someone $20 an hour when there are plenty of people willing to do the same job for $8? Get over yourselves. What makes you think you are worth so much? As many thousands of people that are out of work in this country on any given day? How many applications and phone calls do you think HD gets in one day? You can apply on line, in person, at the computer in HD. The funny thing is, for a company that apparently never hires people, they sure seem to have a full staff in every store I've ever gone in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

rep in depot said:
I have been a service rep inside the depot for over seven years.The starting salary is very low usually around 12 per hour.The work enviroment is hostile because of the depot way of treating employees.The biggest perk employees get is at christmas time when they receive a 10% off coupon of a purchase at the depot,imagine that your christmas bonus means you must spend money at the depot.

Starting pay of 12$ is LOW???????? Where the hell you from? What dream world? Can I move there to? Why do so many people think an employer owes them "perks" at all?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Ray said: If you've been there for 5 years and you're not making at least $20.00 per hour...look for something else and get out of there...or you will end up stuck there for the rest of your life...don't quit 'til you find something better but get out A.S.A.P.!!!
Try Lowes!!

$20 an hour for retail work??????? That's funny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Felicia Birdwell in Dallas, Texas

92 months ago

Are you aware that this posting for CCC Addison Tx for Order Writer is no longer open. The Addison Tx Call Center will be closing it's doors effective 3/11/07.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James in Eugene, Oregon

92 months ago

To those of you that have submited an application and have had no response you should really call and check on the status of your app. As far as wage is concerned, they actually pay a good wage. I was a carpenter after I left the service and The Depot pays better than what I was making in the field. They didnt at first but I moved in to a specialist position and got a nice raise. Within 6 months of hardwork I was promoted to Department supervisor. They really would like to see you move up as well. I found it to be an outstanding job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cheyenne in Tempe, Arizona

92 months ago

I currently work for Home Depot. If you submit an application and you know they're hiring, you need to call and speak with the HR manger and make sure he pulls your application. I know before I got hired a I went up to Home Depot several times a week to talk to the HR manager. Another thing is they usually hire in late february and then again right before the summer, usually may. If you apply any other time, you probably won't get a response and your application expires after 60 days. I worked there during college and it is a good job to have as a college student because they work around your schedule and they pay well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Felicia Birdwell in Austin, Texas

92 months ago

I am currently an employee of The Home Depot. I am located at the Addison Texas Call Center. Indeed.com currently has a job posting for the Addison Texas Call Center. My original comment was to make Indeed.com aware that the Addison Call Center is closing the doors effective 3/11/07 so that they can remove the job posting. The are currently holding Internal and External Job fairs to help place the current employees in other positions with The Home Depot and Outside Companies!

Danielle in Buffalo, New York

92 months ago

I would not recommend a job there. The pay is terrible. They are not willing to pay for experience, they do want 18 year old kids who they can push around, work like a dog & cut their hours down to nothing when it suits them. Hours are constantly being cut (dont let them fool you) I speak from experience. I have seen older associates with a great deal of experience being let go for ridiculous reasons but its usually that they make too much money or have an opinion of their own. The benefits are terrible, especially if you are part time. They recently changed the tuition reimbursement package, you now have to be full time & the classes are extremely specific..do not let them use that as an incentive to work there. The raises are only about .15-20 cents per year, they are only given an allotted amount quartlery which they have to divide between everybody getting their revue then. They do not and will not have any loyalty whatsoever. There also is no rhyme or reason to their hiring. There are usually big hiring events twice a year (spring & fall) hiring way too many people after they have just spent the last 6 months cutting everyone's hours. Then the new hires get hardly any hours till middle of summer & then they just hope for them to drop like flies which most do. This happens in every store.

Homer in Polk City, Iowa

92 months ago

I work at the Home Depot, hours are consistant (40per week) the benifits are great they are know different from any were elce I am covered on everything. And usualy dont pay a penny for doctor visits. I have worked there for 1 year I make $17 an hour as a specialist and to make things better every year when we beat our expected sales plan they split a % of that with all the associates. This Quater i was give a $900 check. Home Depot is a great company to work for if your will to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John S

92 months ago

jimbob said: I AGREE
SHOP THE LITTLE GUY
BRING AMERICA BACK
NO MORE COMMUNIST HOME DEPOT!!

I agree with totaly Home Depot is a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jdoe in Price, Utah

92 months ago

John Tri said: I have applied on line with Home Depot
I have over 20 years of building material experience.
I HAVE NEVER HAD A REPLY FROM HOME DEPOT
TRULY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY I AM NEVER CALLED FOR AN INTERVIEW
JOHN TRI
PORT RICHEY, FLORIDA

You are overqualified...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

HGT in Harrisburg, Ohio

92 months ago

Sparky said: I applied to Home Depot with very little experiance in the work force but with knowlege about the dept. I applied for. I accepted to take the job for barely over mim wage just to get my foot in the door. Sad to see that they do hire inexperinaced cheap labor because I feel now that I'm over quailified for my dept and not getting paid for my knowlge.
Its bad when you know more about your products than the dept. head and customers ask for you by name and will come back later when your availible if your at lunch or have a day off.Of course I know I was hired because I was willing to be hired for chump change but seeing that I add asset to the company they could show appreciation by compensation. But from what I hear is that I shouldnt expect more than a .10 or .15 cent raise even though sales sales have exceeded.
Oh yeah and the X-mas bonus was just a tad bit self centered.
Sad but Home Depot will most likely be just a stepping stone in my career.
I would love working for Home Depot if it werent for the low wages.
find another job soon. HD IS GOING TO FOLD IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS.

Vendor in Amherst, Ohio

92 months ago

Kris said:
I would have to say it is what you make of it. If you are willing to work and YOU choose to have a good attitude then you will love working for the Home depot. If are not willing to work then you will hate the job. It really is your choice. I believe this is a great company and a great place to have a career. Be the voice of positive and of good change.
This is all well and good, your choice in thinking. I also have a great outlook on the positive. I'm a vendor who works within HD stores, but my experience is the HD management is self serving community of egotistical people. Homedepot is not a company in which one should invest a lot of time and talent in.

James in Peyton, Colorado

92 months ago

Homer said: I work at the Home Depot, hours are consistant (40per week) the benifits are great they are know different from any were elce I am covered on everything. And usualy dont pay a penny for doctor visits. I have worked there for 1 year I make $17 an hour as a specialist and to make things better every year when we beat our expected sales plan they split a % of that with all the associates. This Quater i was give a $900 check. Home Depot is a great company to work for if your will to work.

I firmly believe that you should invest that $900.00 check and a percentage of your $17.00 a hour, and go for a few writing skill lessons....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

James in Peyton, Colorado

92 months ago

fred flinstone said: Good grief, I have never has the pleasure of reading so many negative rants about a company by so many negative people. Has it ever occurred to any of you that perhaps your obvious negative attitudes, poor spelling, lack of proper grammar and questionable education have more to do with you not getting the job than anything else? Try some personal responsibility for once in your lives. I know that is a commodity that is lacking in America these days. It's never your fault, always someone else. It can't be the misspelled words on the applications, the poor grammar. Nope, it's the bastards in HR. HD, like every other company on the planet, is in the habit of making money. They are going to pay the least they can get away with. Why pay someone $20 an hour when there are plenty of people willing to do the same job for $8? Get over yourselves. What makes you think you are worth so much? As many thousands of people that are out of work in this country on any given day? How many applications and phone calls do you think HD gets in one day? You can apply on line, in person, at the computer in HD. The funny thing is, for a company that apparently never hires people, they sure seem to have a full staff in every store I've ever gone in.

Good grief, I have never HAS the pleasure??
HAS the pleasure? Good Grief!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ed in Ellicott City, Maryland

92 months ago

Alan said: I have the same experience. I have applied several times, and have not received any response. Yet, the job is then reposted a short time later. I am amply qualified for the position that I applied for. I don't understand their screening procedures.

Perhaps you don't realize what is going on. The big box stores all post phony positions to fill the files with potential candidates that they may or may never call. It's just like the employment agencies that post phony jobs on the net all the time. You never hear from them because there are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ls in Cincinnati, Ohio

91 months ago

I have been with HD for 7 years, and I make almost $19.00 per hour. Guess it pays to stick with them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

James B. in Rathdrum, Idaho

91 months ago

I am always amazed at the number of "satisfied" HD employess who use this forumn to praise their company! I guess they have nothing better to do with their time off than to browse the pages of Indeed.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mad Department Head in Wichita Falls, Texas

91 months ago

I've been a employee for over 4 years now at HD. I've seen the changes since changing different CEO's. People are right in saying that it's changed from when Bernie and Frank were running the show. I wish it could go back but we've gone too profit oriented rather than customer oriented. I'm a Manager on Duty, Key Carrier and Department Supervisor. Our store's turnover last year was 64%!! This shows what kind of people are getting hired on by our HR. Add to that myself does the job of an Assistant Manager and Manager but doesn't even get 3% raises? I'm not ever making $12 an hour!!! I know of specialists that I'm over making more than me! How can this be you ask? It's because of the "NEW" HD way of thinking. If they know you will work for XX amount an hour wage and multiply that by over 2000 stores we have now going strong. My store is an outerlying store and no where to advance since they won't even interview anyone in the store for upper management positions unless you move to another store and get a chance then. The execs. want more profit on less hours in the store. They have cut our hours more this fiscal year but yet they keep coming up with items for us middle management to deal with. Higher store management is only there for emails etc. Department supervisors like myself are there for the customer service issues, dealing with vendors, etc. Upper management takes all the credit when the store get appraised by other store managers etc. but when gets disapproval it's the department managers that get the worst end of it because it's then "our store" not theirs. Seems like the ownership of upper management has gone out the window and it's all about the all mighty dollar.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.