You do not want to work for HD as a HR Store Mgr

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 59)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

charles

89 months ago

I got an offer from Home Depot - they offered 45K with a small bonus based on store performance. They wanted 50 -55 hours a week, also you had to be there for the second and third shift during the week, as well as working Saturday and Sunday periodically. There is much burnout I understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Roberto Morfa in Miami, Florida

89 months ago

I'm master in Trade Administration and Marketing. I have experience in sales and commercial actions, national and internationals business.
I live in Miami Lakes, 33016 and I’m 50 years old. I do not have problem with the time.
Please, analyze my professionalism.
I wait for your answer,
Fraternally,
Roberto Morfa
Phone: 786 337 169

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Willow in Walnut Creek, California

86 months ago

It seems to me that an offer of $45-65K per year makes alot of crap worth putting up with. Including 55 hr work weeks and occasional weekends.
I applied at hd today. I hope to get a call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Salinas, California

85 months ago

charles said: I got an offer from Home Depot - they offered 45K with a small bonus based on store performance. They wanted 50 -55 hours a week, also you had to be there for the second and third shift during the week, as well as working Saturday and Sunday periodically. There is much burnout I understand.

Interviewed with HD in bay area. Took 4 hours and of course I didn't get hired. Didn't fit their mold. Positions are still advertsed months later. What are they looking for, a fool that will work for $45K and 60 hours a week. STAY AWAY FROM HOME DEPOT. BAD CULTURE AND MANAGEMENT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

85 months ago

Willow in Walnut Creek, California said: It seems to me that an offer of $45-65K per year makes alot of crap worth putting up with. Including 55 hr work weeks and occasional weekends.
I applied at hd today. I hope to get a call.

Did they call yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

M H in Bronx, New York

85 months ago

My friend used to work for HD and his doctor told him to quit if he wanted his blood pressure to be normal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Lockmiller 931-967-6047 in Dover, Florida

85 months ago

Dont work for Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Management at both companies treats their Employees like small Chidren.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Chirs Mitchell in Dover, Florida

85 months ago

Please dont work at Home Depot Ask god to bless You a diffrent way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Zorro in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

85 months ago

I just graduated with a master degree in HR A/D and I was planning to apply to HD just for the experience and padding my resume, Thank you for the advised I already have high blood pressure. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Fort Collins, Colorado

85 months ago

to Richard Lockmiller--no we are smart for not wanting to work ourselves into the grave for peanuts. They offered me a job for 45K and working 55 hours per week including nights and weekends! I make much more than that working 32 hours per week and I have my nights and weekends free. All they want is some young kid fresh out of college. If you're over 40--don't waste your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Skip in Mesa, Arizona

85 months ago

How is Lowe's? Any better? I hear employee's enjoy it there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Kasilof, Alaska

85 months ago

They treat you like garbage. I know I worked there for four years they state good salary and bonuses and only 55 hours per week. To bad you are getting your store walked every other week by upper management and everything has to be perfect or your job is threatend. Then 55 hours turns in to 65 to 70 hours or they tell you you have to work a week of all days and then four hours in to the night. Regardless of childrens sporting events or anivisry's. Can you tell I am bitter stay long enough to get experiance if you are already there plenty of company's will work you 40 hours a week with a set schedual if you have experiance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mimi in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

Cynthia in Fort Collins, Colorado said: to Richard Lockmiller--no we are smart for not wanting to work ourselves into the grave for peanuts. They offered me a job for 45K and working 55 hours per week including nights and weekends! I make much more than that working 32 hours per week and I have my nights and weekends free. All they want is some young kid fresh out of college. If you're over 40--don't waste your time.

So now i'm really curious what job offers more than 45k for 32 hrs a week w/ free nights and weekends - I'd love to know!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

marie in Cumming, Georgia

85 months ago

mimi in Chicago, Illinois said: So now i'm really curious what job offers more than 45k for 32 hrs a week w/ free nights and weekends - I'd love to know!!

Try nursing, you work hard for the money, but it is rewarding as well as finacially sound.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Salazar in Woodbridge, Virginia

85 months ago

I worked for Lowe's for 3 1/2 years (until Oct 2006). I left to work a Mon-Fri job with "normal" business hours. They treat their employees very well. If you are stressed about being walked weekly by the store manager and district manager...it's because you are not doing your job. If you have properly trained/quality staff you won't worry about your walks. Yes, Lowe's and Home Depot expect you to work 50 hours a week but if you are a manager with any organization you are putting in those kind of hours. It's just the difference of doing your time in the store instead of taking work home with you. Lowe's is a great company to work for and I would go back in a heartbeat if there was an opening in my area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

locococo in West Covina, California

84 months ago

how old do you have to be to work at lowes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Woofie

84 months ago

Skip in Mesa, Arizona said: How is Lowe's? Any better? I hear employee's enjoy it there...

Same CRAP....Different color! Trust ME! Former HD associate. Stay Healthy & Thank God you will work somewhere other than a big box retailer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jamesweizel@yahoo.com in Farmington, Minnesota

84 months ago

The previous coments were interesting reading to say the least. I have been considering applying at HD for some time now. But, everything I have heard about the companies' treatment of it,s employees goes from really bad to worse. I love to shop there, but I think I'll apply somewhere else. Thanks for the info. James Weizel, Apple Valley Mn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Current HD employee in Berwyn, Illinois

84 months ago

Yes the salary is 45-65k for a salaried manager and 50-55 hours are what's asked of HR managers in the interview process. However, if your good, you can look to work approximately 45 hours and only need to worry about upper management walking you if there are issues with how you run your store. There are instances that 55 hours necessary, like if the CEO is going to visit your store but there are maybe 5 instances in a calander year that an HR manager needs to work 55 hours. Ultimately it is retail so there is a lot of little "BS" that you must encounter but the HR manager position at The Home Depot has tons of flexibility so long as your good at managing your time and have a strong sense of urgency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Past HR

84 months ago

The ask for 55hrs/wk they really mean 70 hrs/wk. The expect 5 days a week plus one day a week stocking shelves. They demand the HR get all the store managers to give money to a political fund. They have an afirmitive action plan that reuires you only hire (women) for certain positions. The Store Management Team changes several time a year. If they transfer you they will try and cheat you out of your bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

I manage a convienance store for 35k and work scheduled 45 hours a week. On a bad week I will do more, but thats the job, and thats why its a salary instead of hourly position. Managment becomes more stressfull the worse you are at it. A good number of those hours are easy, paperwork, interviews, supervising others, you know... managment. I would love to make 50k a year. For a job I can get with nothing more than my experiance and a high school diploma whats to complain about? Stress? Thats why they pay me. Its not volunteer work. I manage my time well and have plenty of time for my family and friends. I know other managers who manage smaller stores than mine who complain like the other posts. Its not for everybody.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kinshe in Hollywood, Maryland

82 months ago

I agree w/ you 100%. I wonder how many people have actually worked as managers or in any position w/ a high level of responsibility that have not worked over 40 hours, whether it be in the office or at home. I think not being concerned w/ store walks has a great deal to do w/ the professional development of the staff. If store walks bother you, then you probably are not handling your business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Dee in Salinas, California said: Interviewed with HD in bay area. Took 4 hours and of course I didn't get hired. Didn't fit their mold. Positions are still advertsed months later. What are they looking for, a fool that will work for $45K and 60 hours a week. STAY AWAY FROM HOME DEPOT. BAD CULTURE AND MANAGEMENT.

I'm curious to know why you went to the interview. The recruiters inform you prior to the interview of the salary, hours, and the interview process. You were notified that the Assessment you took, as well as the interview, would last for approx. 5 hours and 30 minutes. You went to the interview and took the RMA fully aware of the salary and hours. So, is your email an angry response because you were not hired? I must say that is the way it appears because otherwise you would never have wasted 4 hours of your time for 45k and 60 hours/ week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

shawn in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I manage a convienance store for 35k and work scheduled 45 hours a week. On a bad week I will do more, but thats the job, and thats why its a salary instead of hourly position. Managment becomes more stressfull the worse you are at it. A good number of those hours are easy, paperwork, interviews, supervising others, you know... managment. I would love to make 50k a year. For a job I can get with nothing more than my experiance and a high school diploma whats to complain about? Stress? Thats why they pay me. Its not volunteer work. I manage my time well and have plenty of time for my family and friends. I know other managers who manage smaller stores than mine who complain like the other posts. Its not for everybody.

Thx...this will hopefully wake others up to management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

whoizdisguy in Los Angeles, California

82 months ago

mimi in Chicago, Illinois said: So now i'm really curious what job offers more than 45k for 32 hrs a week w/ free nights and weekends - I'd love to know!!

You'll never get rich but you can be around a $100K in certain aerospace fields and work smart to get away with 40hrs. Past $100K you gotta work more into the 60s. FYI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

whoizdisguy in Los Angeles, California

82 months ago

HRM in NH, not in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Oh you hit the nail on the head. Time management and integrity are key. I only work around 45 or so hours. Sometimes up to 50, depending on what is going on. A great manager is important, and trained ASM's that can manage their people helps. My range is in the mid 50's and this is a great job with great benefits and great people to work for.

I've always wondered what the ASMs salary range is. I looked it up on the interenet (not sure if that's factual) and noticed it was fairly high near $50K. I mean I make quite a bit more than that but I'm 32 and educated and to be honest was quite impressed that you can make a lot of money at HD at an early young age. I took a part time job there cuz hey who couldn't use some extra cash for the hollidays and they have been very nice about being flexible with my main career but like I said I gotta admit it boggeled my mind that there are opportunities out there (obviously outside of sales or any entertainment arena) that you could make the money these really young ASMs are making...there must be a catch...I was thinking high turnover...anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick0369 in Cartersville, Georgia

81 months ago

I have past the phone interview and have been asked to wait 6 weeks for a face to face. I wondered if you can give me some insight on what will happen on this 5 ½ hrs interview. I have 8 yrs in HRM and never have I had a 5 ½ hr interview. I love HRM and love HD I also need this job in order to keep from moving to some new location I don’t know. I have been offered great pay and I want this job. Also how does the bonus work? Please help if you can. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HD Employee in Bear, Delaware

80 months ago

I've been with THD for over 7 years now, and I can tell you the HRM position is one of the easiest salaried positions in the store. i have never met an HRM that works even their scheduled 50-55 hours! affirmative action plans give you goals to hire genders/ethnicities/etc. to mirror your store's demographics, which is more than appropriate, i think. nobody is required to donate to the political action committee; i don't and never have. The only time you will be asked to work more than 50-55 hrs/wk is if you have a really crappy store manager (and he will eventually be fired, trust me! mine was...) or if you aren't managing your time well enough to accomplish your goals during that timeframe. the "small bonus" someone spoke of is up to 25% of your salary! so if 10-15K is small to you, then yes, it is a small bonus! lol...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HD Employee in Bear, Delaware

80 months ago

Past HR said: The ask for 55hrs/wk they really mean 70 hrs/wk. The expect 5 days a week plus one day a week stocking shelves. They demand the HR get all the store managers to give money to a political fund. They have an afirmitive action plan that reuires you only hire (women) for certain positions. The Store Management Team changes several time a year. If they transfer you they will try and cheat you out of your bonus.

again, 7 years with company, salaried position, and i have never been expected to work a 6th day/week stocking shelves. thats just stupid. and the financial-based bonuses are pro-rated based on how much time you spent in each store throughout the year. no cheating there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian Kelly in Egg Harbor City, New Jersey

80 months ago

Current HD employee in Berwyn, Illinois said: Yes the salary is 45-65k for a salaried manager and 50-55 hours are what's asked of HR managers in the interview process. However, if your good, you can look to work approximately 45 hours and only need to worry about upper management walking you if there are issues with how you run your store. There are instances that 55 hours necessary, like if the CEO is going to visit your store but there are maybe 5 instances in a calander year that an HR manager needs to work 55 hours. Ultimately it is retail so there is a lot of little "BS" that you must encounter but the HR manager position at The Home Depot has tons of flexibility so long as your good at managing your time and have a strong sense of urgency.

If you are "GOOD" .. what does that mean?

If you can not work your scheduled hours and defraud shareholders and play silly games with people who actually do the work? Is that what you consider to be "good"?

LOL I've seen everything the big Orange box has to offer and frankly... It's a complete mess... RUN VERY VERY FAR AWAY From this group.. they are very bad and some of them are downright EVIL people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

EyesWideOpen in Hoover, Alabama

79 months ago

I have worked as an HRM for three years for Home Depot and I love it. I have worked my way up from a minimum wage entry level position. I only work about 45 hours a week and although it isn't a lot of work. It is a lot of responsibility. My pay is now in the mid 50s and the retailer is as good as it gets when you are looking to work in retail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul1947 in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

The HR Manager Job for stores under 35M are going away!!

Be carefull!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fair_and_Balanced in Elizabethtown, Kentucky

79 months ago

Paul1947 in Shickshinny, Pennsylvania said: The HR Manager Job for stores under 35M are going away!!

Be carefull!!

I'd be interested in finding out where you got your information. Rumors in a company this size are abundant, but few have any merit. Nonetheless, I'd be one who would be affected. Personally, I can't see it happening. HRMs are saddled with a huge amount of responsibility in the store and I've not seen too many ASMs or SMs skilled enough to handle the burdens they already have plus absorb the HRMs work, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Janmariej in Modesto, California

78 months ago

Patrick0369 in Cartersville, Georgia said: I have past the phone interview and have been asked to wait 6 weeks for a face to face. I wondered if you can give me some insight on what will happen on this 5 ½ hrs interview. I have 8 yrs in HRM and never have I had a 5 ½ hr interview. I love HRM and love HD I also need this job in order to keep from moving to some new location I don’t know. I have been offered great pay and I want this job. Also how does the bonus work? Please help if you can. Thanks!

Hi Patrick
I went through the process about seven years ago. The interview takes 5 1/2 hours, because they give a test to everyone in the room. There are about 4-6 applicants, everyone has to complete an application, then they administer the test. It is ridiculous. You also have to take into consideration, HR in the retail environment is very different from HR in the private or Corporate sector. The culture is the same across the retail board. Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot they are only interested in "bottom line". They do not value their most important asset.....their employees. They are only interested in getting as much out of an employee as they can. That is why their customer service and seriously lacking. HD was in the news about a year ago, regarding their falling numbers and complaints about poor customer service. What do you expect when you don't invest in your employees. When an employer treats employees bad,.....they treat customers bad. Additionally, if you read all of the comments, they all pretty much say the same thing. Retail wants kids right out of high school, they are the only ones who will gladly accept the low pay, ridiculous hours and bad treatment. If you are older, they might hire you if they feel they can control you; and you will support their BS. It is those type of HR people that transition into to corp and make bad HR managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Has Questions in Madison, Ohio

77 months ago

Where did you get the information that HR jobs were going away? Is this a reliable source?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PghDan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

RHRM and peer hrs..it was announced at a asm mtg in ohio to.

PghDan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

June 30th is the date. have a lawyer ready.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark Has Questions in Madison, Ohio

77 months ago

Why would they announce this at an ASM meeting? Where in Ohio was the meeting. I need something credible. Why June 30TH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Liz Hayes in Alameda, California

75 months ago

I have read through all these blogs on Expo and Home Depot. I have worked for the company for several years. As hourly or salary the company takes care of its people. I completely believe that the issues discussed above are caused by people with a lack of work ethic. I was raised with a work ethic that when you work for a company you stand out and be the best. Home Depot is one company that helps its associates and managers grow with continued training that never ends. What each individual does with the training is up to them. I started out a sales associate and now I am in management (I know how to run every aspect of the store). Yes Home Depot asks for you to be available to work 55 hours but that is only if you are not where you need to be with your business. If you do your job correctly and manage your time, accomplishing your tasks and sales....you can reduce your hours. It is all dependent on how well you do in your position. Walks with upper management are very easy if your run your business correctly. If you are making sales, instock, labor hours are good, and store appearance is kept up then walks are a breeze. You only get negative walks if you wait till the last minute to prepare your store for a walk. Delegation is key and being able to lead a team is what makes you successful. Home Depot pays on your experience you bring to the table. I have not seen any other company out there pay better than Home Depot (Retail - big box). Also the company has 401k, health benefits, stock plans, college tuition reimbursment, car insurance, corporate discounts, and more. Many associates with the depot have been with them for 15 + years. If it was a bad company why are they still with them? I am extremely happy, the company stands behind its associates, I stand behind the company. True Work Ethic! People need to realize that being happy at work comes from self accomplishment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DJC

75 months ago

Until they call you into a meeting, tell you it is a "business decision" and then give you a letter saying that your position has been terminated. They will tell you that it is nothing personal, but that in this economy they have to meet numbers and again remind you that it is nothing personal. Then your work ethic becomes looking for another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jthorn9 in Pearl River, Louisiana

75 months ago

Well HR positions for The Home Depot have now been fully eliminated on the store level, however, IMO, HRs had it extremely easy. They did have to work the long 50+ hour work load, however 95% of that time was spent in their office doing absolutly nothing, and that's no joke. I'm a dept manager for the company, and while I had great respect for the HRs, because at times they would actually have a huge workload, their position wasn't that difficult, not nearly as intinsive as that of an associate, specialist, manager, or assist manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

maliceinwonderland in New Orleans, Louisiana

75 months ago

jthorn9 in Pearl River, Louisiana said: Well HR positions for The Home Depot have now been fully eliminated on the store level, however, IMO, HRs had it extremely easy. They did have to work the long 50+ hour work load, however 95% of that time was spent in their office doing absolutly nothing, and that's no joke. I'm a dept manager for the company, and while I had great respect for the HRs, because at times they would actually have a huge workload, their position wasn't that difficult, not nearly as intinsive as that of an associate, specialist, manager, or assist manager.

jthorn9, the only truthful statement in your message is that Store HR's have been eliminated. Did you say we HR's had it easy??? That's just not true. Did you ever ASK your HR what he/she did in that long 55 hr work week spending 95% of their time in the office? HR's had to deal with associates, customers, managers, DM's, DAPM's, RHRM, audits, hiring, terminations, reviews, claims & claimants, legal issues, non-profit organizations, schools, hospitals, the corporate office, transfer requests, payroll, benefits, former associates, awareline investigations & responses, walk-in candidates, conference calls, hiring events, unemployment hearings, volunteering,training, schedule variance, hours, meal breaks, loa...AND you must remain compliant with federal and state employment laws and company policy. It was a very intense job and there's not a lot that you can delegate to your scheduler. While all this is going on - you must maintain the "open door policy", improve morale & be the advocate for the associate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I loved my job...it was challenging, rewarding and maddening. But for you to say it wasn't as intense as a DH, ASM, Specialist or associate position? We were the firewall, honey. I'm glad we made it look so easy...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bennies in Washington, District of Columbia

75 months ago

I totally agree with you malice. It looks easy but its not. It's incredible to me what people consider easy or I guess how much people can turn a blind eye or refuse to notice when someone is doing a good job...you know what I notice is that people appreciate people primarily when they are laughing, hanging-out, hanging on to the coat tails, and/or being a yes man with and for them...and not those people who aren't really good ass-kissers, but will do the job, because it is a job and because things need to get done.
The HR position is an extremely difficult and intense position particularly satisfying and juggling management/associate/corporate concerns.
Never been a HR, but I noticed. I appreciated it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

bennies in Washington, District of Columbia said: I totally agree with you malice. It looks easy but its not. It's incredible to me what people consider easy or I guess how much people can turn a blind eye or refuse to notice when someone is doing a good job...you know what I notice is that people appreciate people primarily when they are laughing, hanging-out, hanging on to the coat tails, and/or being a yes man with and for them...and not those people who aren't really good ass-kissers, but will do the job, because it is a job and because things need to get done.
The HR position is an extremely difficult and intense position particularly satisfying and juggling management/associate/corporate concerns.
Never been a HR, but I noticed. I appreciated it.

That's really nice to hear that we were appreciated, bennies. Especially now that we HR's have been kicked to the proverbial curb! I think b/c a lot of HR work took place behind closed doors...and a lot of battles people thought we were goofing off! I would have never exposed a disagreement, conflict or dissenting opinion on the sales floor to be scrutinized by associates. I argued/disagreed/yelled/negotiated behind closed doors so that we managers could PRESENT a united front. No need to give ammo to the "divide & conquer" tactic. I think the only good thing that will come out of this is that HR's are no longer direct reports of store managers. The close relationship you had to build and maintain with your SM made it difficult to be a real adversary. Thank God my SM was a decent personn b/c there are bad eggs out there. HD has no system of checks & balances now that the HR culture has been absorbed in the HD culture. LOL! That's BS. The butt-kissing, hanging out, coat-tail hangers-on will have a field day now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anoninneworleans in La Place, Louisiana

75 months ago

I have read your blogs, malice, and my heart goes out to you. I, too was an hrm in the New Orleans area. It has been difficult to reach out to our peers for fear of hurt feelings, etc. Everyone is in such a different step of the job "grieving" process. Every hrm in our area was a respected colleague. I hope that we are all able to find opportunities that are worthy of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

maliceinwonderland in New Orleans, Louisiana said: That's really nice to hear that we were appreciated, bennies. Especially now that we HR's have been kicked to the proverbial curb! I think b/c a lot of HR work took place behind closed doors...and a lot of battles people thought we were goofing off! I would have never exposed a disagreement, conflict or dissenting opinion on the sales floor to be scrutinized by associates. I argued/disagreed/yelled/negotiated behind closed doors so that we managers could PRESENT a united front. No need to give ammo to the "divide & conquer" tactic. I think the only good thing that will come out of this is that HR's are no longer direct reports of store managers. The close relationship you had to build and maintain with your SM made it difficult to be a real adversary. Thank God my SM was a decent personn b/c there are bad eggs out there. HD has no system of checks & balances now that the HR culture has been absorbed in the HD culture. LOL! That's BS. The butt-kissing, hanging out, coat-tail hangers-on will have a field day now...

I'm really hoping my HR knew that I understood and that at least I cared. For every nasty person there are a few good of us out there who knew/who understood...at least a little...heh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

bennies in Washington, District of Columbia said: I'm really hoping my HR knew that I understood and that at least I cared. For every nasty person there are a few good of us out there who knew/who understood...at least a little...heh.

I'm betting your HR knew you understood and cared. Usually we can tell who's jaded, uncaring, or just in it for a paycheck. Are you planning on moving up in the company or has this restructuring changed your plans?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

anoninneworleans in La Place, Louisiana said: I have read your blogs, malice, and my heart goes out to you. I, too was an hrm in the New Orleans area. It has been difficult to reach out to our peers for fear of hurt feelings, etc. Everyone is in such a different step of the job "grieving" process. Every hrm in our area was a respected colleague. I hope that we are all able to find opportunities that are worthy of us.

I'm glad my messages evoke some type of feelings. This is a form of reaching out. Working as a HD HR makes you a pretty tough damn cookies, so I hope all the pity parties are over. I'm not trying get sympathy or hatred for HD, just an understanding of how the #2 retailer can let this kind of sh** happen and we end up paying for their lack of business sense! Maybe those HD execs paid millions of dollars to should also be looking for opportunities worthy of them too! The unemployment line forms to the left!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

maliceinwonderland in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I'm betting your HR knew you understood and cared. Usually we can tell who's jaded, uncaring, or just in it for a paycheck. Are you planning on moving up in the company or has this restructuring changed your plans?

Oh no, I've never cared about moving up with this company. Before I even started working for them, I kind of felt that retail was evil...although HD is technically my first and only retail employment. However, I've met a lot of people and well you got to work. I love my job, I just think it takes a great need or a certain type of person to move up in this company and when it comes to retail, I am not ambitious...just want to do a good job, go home, get some sleep, finish school and eventually quit. I think to a certain degree, you have to be a schmoozer...nothing wrong with that, but I'm bossy and I don't mind telling anyone and everyone how I feel if I think that they are wrong...or if I want to refuse to do something. Ha. But I love my job, my bosses and my co-workers usually love me. I think I do pretty awesome stuff...know my stuff, just don't have the ambition to do it. Some things are just hard to deal with and sometimes you have to make somewhat callous decisions and that is very unattractive to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sendog32 in Jackson, Mississippi

75 months ago

I have seen first hand the things the bg-box retail HRms go through and these poor souls have to be eagerly searching fo a new job i know. I frinds that were Lowe's HRMs and they were on the verge of walking out after only 3 months. Retail is not for everyone and HR role do vary depending on the industry. Moreover, if you store has CRAPPY equipment and even worse processes in place your job as an HRM will be a living HELL!!!1

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.