What about Canada?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

THDer in Canada in Kelowna, British Columbia

73 months ago

Hi - I'm new to the company and wondered what all the Canadian associates think about the company. Most of the postings seem to be from American associates and don't always have anything to do with Canada. For the Canuks - what is THD like to work for? What do you think of the head office? Anything else you think is useful for a new associate to know? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Common Sense in Winnipeg, Manitoba

73 months ago

I have been with the Home Depot almost 3 years and it is a great place to work. I work with an amazing group of people in my dept. HD is a place that you get out what you put in. You will read alot about how people get crappy raises on this forum. Bad associates get bad raises. You work at a great store (if it is the one that is near Orchard Park). I have met your SM and HR. I wanted to transfer there a year ago. They are good people and seemed to really care about their associates. HD is a great place to advance from within. You put out the effort and let let your DS, ASM, HR, and SM where you want to grow they will help develope you. I have seen it in the store I work at. There are stressfull moments but there is at any job. I really enjoy working at the depot. Hope that helps. I grew up in the Okanagan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Droan Armada in Red Deer, Alberta

73 months ago

I work at the red deer HD and it's pretty good. Great managers and a friendly staff. We're the top story on my apron right now with the Dunk an ASM day we had. (that's the first time a Canadian store has ever been top story on my apron)

There are good things and bad things about here. mostly good. Like good enviroment (staff are friendly), decent pay, everyone is practically full time. (except students) the SM is really nice. Always buys donoughts or pizza. The HR department cooks barbeque for the staff and they always try to think up fun new ideas.

But then there are some bad points aswell. Like they claim you'll get fired for everything. Running over a broom with a machine and your licence gets taken away. Do it again and you're fired.
Don't get all your packdown down and you're in trouble.
Don't take it up the butt for a customer and you're in deep ****.
And sometimes their demands are little too high. Freight team is expected to packdown and put out something like 200 skids a nights. HA.

Betty123 in Toronto, Ontario

69 months ago

I have worked for the Home Depot for several years and I am so disappointed with a promotion that just took place. The the ASM in Collingwood is a ridiculous choice. I have worked my ass off for many years and gotten nowhere. This woman can't do basic math or spell basic english words (and I am not saying that be mean) she really can't. Ask her what 7x6 is and she wouldn't know. On top of that, in the years that I have worked there she has had sex/dated many men that work there. Some were her co-workers, suppliers, employees, other department managers. It's just crazy. I don't understand why nobody else isn't upset. It makes the company look BAD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

51 months ago

Homer3 in Ajax, Ontario said: My experience is that it is just as bad in Canada as in the States. Don't waste your time with these jerks. Like any big American company, they neither value nor trust their employees right from the start, no matter how much you prove yourself. Canada would be much better without Home Depot. Pack up and go back home....we don't want you in our country.

I'm a key carrying DH in a CA store, I have access to the ASM E-mail and I see who's gonna get fired before they pull the trigger. It's all about attitude...Those who don't care about things like customer service and have a sucky attitude, get scrutinized for everything they do...also, most people fired are cashiers who have attendance issues. If you don't call off or show up late it is really difficult for them to fire you. They look for tangible evidence to keep you from collecting unemployment.most termed employees make it really easy for them.Advise... Drag yourself in and then go home sick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Homer3 in Ajax, Ontario

51 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: I'm a key carrying DH in a CA store, I have access to the ASM E-mail and I see who's gonna get fired before they pull the trigger. It's all about attitude...Those who don't care about things like customer service and have a sucky attitude, get scrutinized for everything they do...also, most people fired are cashiers who have attendance issues. If you don't call off or show up late it is really difficult for them to fire you. They look for tangible evidence to keep you from collecting unemployment.most termed employees make it really easy for them.Advise... Drag yourself in and then go home sick.

Here in Canada, the permanent employees call in sick or pull the old no-call, no-show all the time and are NEVER fired (at least in store 7109 anyway). The tired, boring old "We put Customers first" line is nothing more than a bunch of crap made up by managers who never deal with customers. Managers here only care about pleasing their bosses. If they truly did care about customers and put them first, then they would never have to worry about putting on a show for the boss.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.