What is Home Depot's "Policy and Proceedure Protocol" when an employee get injured on the job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Taryn in Western, Massachusetts

70 months ago

I have heard some companies have a written explicit procedure that is to be followed when an employee gets hurt on the job. However, I have heard some stories, which may only be tales from Home Depot Employees. Please set the record straight home depot? I was told by a home depot store Dept. Manager that when a worker gets injured on the job, a Home Depot Dept. Manager must be available to transport the hurt worker to the hospital? Even if that worker is from a completely different dept? This does not only sound bizarre, it sounds like it could create some kind of legal and ethical implications. Transporting injured workers in a Dept. Managers personal vehical sounds incorrect. If it is true someone please enlighten me.
Taryn confused

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DeeZ in Connecticut

70 months ago

Taryn in Western, Massachusetts said: I have heard some companies have a written explicit procedure that is to be followed when an employee gets hurt on the job. However, I have heard some stories, which may only be tales from Home Depot Employees. Please set the record straight home depot? I was told by a home depot store Dept. Manager that when a worker gets injured on the job, a Home Depot Dept. Manager must be available to transport the hurt worker to the hospital? Even if that worker is from a completely different dept? This does not only sound bizarre, it sounds like it could create some kind of legal and ethical implications. Transporting injured workers in a Dept. Managers personal vehical sounds incorrect. If it is true someone please enlighten me.
Taryn confused

Taryn,
This really doesn't sound like a specific policy! Is this Dept. Manager a certified Emergency Medical Technician who works for Home Depot? If not, the home depot that I work for would never allow this risk? An ambulance is called to transport. Or a family member has been notified? If no family is available, ambulance to CYA. Minor injuries that do not require ambulance transport are handled by the workers family or friend. I have never heard of this policy. Maybe there is no policy. It might be up to the discretion of each store. This sounds wierd.
DEE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beat up in CO in Colorado

70 months ago

Ask your District Asset Protection Manager. They shouldn't be transporting associates. Too many legal potentials.

70 months ago

Thanks Colorodo for your suggestion and reply. I was unable to get a specific answer to this question so far? Does anyone from Home Depot know the protocol for for njured employees on the HD work site are assessed for injury and transported to medical attention??? If HD is allowing only Dept. Managers to transport injured associates to the hospital when family can't be reached, sounds too high risk and very suspicious. Home Depot from Atlanta what is your portocol on this issue?
Taryn

69 months ago

Home Depot where are you on this? Does anyone at all that works for Home Depot even have a clue about this? Home Depot Employees injured on the job???? Who transports to the Medical Facility? A Dept. Manager??? The Janitor???? Who ever is available??? Who?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

homedepotsam in Georgia

69 months ago

Taryn

Not sure exactly about the specific proceedure for all Home Depot Stores. I do know that in our store here in GA it is prohibited for any employee working for home depot to transport an hurt worker in their personal vehical or in any vehical. Legally too high risk. Ethically very bad idea. The worker that transports another injured worker in a vehicle is also open to huge misinterpretations. Especiall if only the two hd workers. One persons word against another. I would NEVER put myself in a position such as this and I have been a dept. manager at hd for 10 years. Who is to say what one person might acuse the other of. OMG this could be very bad. If the hurt person was a woman I could be in even bigger S---. My word against hers. Anyways I would never be in that situation even is my Manager asked me to do this. I am now curious about a district wide or company wide policy. Oh and Taryn, the entire thing sounds smelly to me. Sam

Katti in Massachusetts

69 months ago

Hi Taryn

I think I know the store that you are asking about? Very close to a new Big Y store? You know the just built new one?
I have heard about this specific incident where an employee was injured on the job recently. She was transfered to a hospital emergency room by a male dept. manager on duty that day. I heard he was asked to transport the hurt woman when she got hurt on the job in paint. Not sure what that store or district policy is about this but personally it sounds like they might have been friends and thats why he agreed to do it? I have also heard rumors that this dept. manager is a hot topic with the females. The worker who was injured also made a comment about that same manager being hot once! Interesting??? I am sure she didn't mind at all! We know he gets off on his power.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Katti,

OMG... you do have some specifics on this incident. Yes the home depot is very close to the new big y. I am speechless and even more confused. I still have not received a answer about the specific proceedure to be followed or if one even exists? Katti do you work for that store? Do you know the employees I am refering to? I did not believe the story when I first heard it. I guess it really did happen the way I was told. I still don't understand WHY home depot would allow a dept. manager to transport an injured employee from another dept? Can you explain this more? OMG what is going on in that store? I want to know more but not details on this forum. Can you ellaborate a bit about the mngr. in question?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Katti in Massachusetts

69 months ago

Taryn

Oh boy. I hope I did not make things worse. I did work for that store not long ago. I still know and district in W.M. I do work in that district still. Are you really concerned about this specific policy and proceedure, or, are you concerned more about this for personal reasons? No mentioning names or identifying specific people okay? Lets keep it general. All I know is that I heard about this only because someone that works for that store brought it up. The reason that it became an issue for discussion is because hd employees love gossip. If one person knows it doesn't take long for the rumor mill to spread. It did happen. As to how or why not sure exactly. Why he agreed to it sounds iffy. This dept. manager should not take risks to hurt his reputation. Unless orderd to transport I would ask for it in writting and do it question later. I don't believe it came down that way. It appears at the time no-one really thought about it. The manager in question works for gardens. He gets around out of the store alot. I don't want to tell you the wrong thing Taryn but if you know him or have ever been involved with him, I would have questions about it? Am I warm?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Katti,
Yes you a warm and have the correct information. I want to know this because one of my good friends asked me to look into it for them. That person knows the players and honestly so do I. The concern is both personal and professional. Have you read some of the home depot gossip on this site lately? I don't blame anyone who has a loved one or family member working for home depot having questions about things. If home depot was straight forward and consistent with their policies there would be less to be concerbed about. Anyways I have seen it for myself. Even the male associates will tell you about this nutty place. The information that I have received thus far is not the news I was hoping to deliver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sebass in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

Well a five hundred pound tool box tipped and fell on my feet at work. And this week I got terminated from the home depot. Managers ignored my problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Sebass:
Make an appointment with a podiatrist NOW. Make an appointment with a Workers' Compensation attorney NOW. DON'T WAIT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.