Where's Are My Fellow Associates Who Actually Like Working At the Home Depot? Lets hear some pos. Comments

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

72 months ago

I've been here at the Depot for 5 years and I can't think of a better place to work. I used to be a contractor and had just about every crappy job you can imagine. I've had nothing but positive experiences here and I wouldn't go anywhere else...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

shannon torell in Fayetteville, Arkansas

72 months ago

I've been at Home Depot for 5 1/2 years and enjoy going to work everyday. I applied just because I was out of money going to college and needed a job. I never thought it would turn into a career. I started as a temp in garden and have now worked in every department in the store. I'm now an Area Supervisor for their Merchandising Execution Team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

fwdmd in Brownwood, Texas

71 months ago

I like my home depot. Not sure if it's your usual Home Depot from these comments, and sure - I'm not wild about some things, but scheduling is what it is, and sometimes SOP is a bit weird. I'm not familiar with jobs where similar issues don't arise, it's part of having a job.

One the level of personal issues with people - I'm supported by management - if I had one piece of advice for those with problems with managers or any other part of the job - network. Let everyone you can know that you are enthusiastic about learning, will take it seriously when someone does suggest or actually tell you - here's how to improve.

Also, tell - or show in a reasonable yet obvious manner - people how awesome you actually are - it's not ego, it works, and in a busy workplace, you do need to let people know about how you work and roll with stuff. Asking for advice or pitching in is one of the best ways to help your job situation and
find people - management or coworkers who want you to do well, and that's good backing and advice.

And then, if you do have a personal conflict, you have proven yourself, and even if you make an honest error, which happens to many of us in any job - you have a track record and a basis for communicating that your intentions are always to be ethical and to get the job done.

As to the unexpected firings and lay-off situations, etc. Corporate America, plain and simple, and I feel for that. It is not that different in any public sector job, or any other workplace, honestly. But my experiece and overall understading - Home Depot pays well, offers great benefits, and I hope, in most cases like mine, a positive work environment, which are some of the great things about working for a large retail corp. They can afford to offer those benefits and reasonable salaries to a pretty large workforce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

voltom05 in Alabama

71 months ago

fwdmd in Brownwood, Texas said: I like my home depot. Not sure if it's your usual Home Depot from these comments, and sure - I'm not wild about some things, but scheduling is what it is, and sometimes SOP is a bit weird. I'm not familiar with jobs where similar issues don't arise, it's part of having a job.

One the level of personal issues with people - I'm supported by management - if I had one piece of advice for those with problems with managers or any other part of the job - network. Let everyone you can know that you are enthusiastic about learning, will take it seriously when someone does suggest or actually tell you - here's how to improve.

Also, tell - or show in a reasonable yet obvious manner - people how awesome you actually are - it's not ego, it works, and in a busy workplace, you do need to let people know about how you work and roll with stuff. Asking for advice or pitching in is one of the best ways to help your job situation and
find people - management or coworkers who want you to do well, and that's good backing and advice.

And then, if you do have a personal conflict, you have proven yourself, and even if you make an honest error, which happens to many of us in any job - you have a track record and a basis for communicating that your intentions are always to be ethical and to get the job done.

As to the unexpected firings and lay-off situations, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

voltom05 in Alabama

71 months ago

You have got to be kidding, HOme Depot sucks the management team sucks. They are the stupidest people I have ever worked for. The person who does the scheduling has no concept of scheduling. Home Depot is in business for themselves and only themselves. They do not care about you only how much money they can make for themselves. I had gone through extensive training and have not gotten an advancement from it yet.
The district manager does not know anything either and forget about the HR manager.
It is one of the most horrible places and everyone who works for them ends up working for Lowes. They treat their associates much better and they get discounts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

voltom05 in Alabama said: You have got to be kidding, HOme Depot sucks the management team sucks. They are the stupidest people I have ever worked for. The person who does the scheduling has no concept of scheduling. Home Depot is in business for themselves and only themselves. They do not care about you only how much money they can make for themselves. I had gone through extensive training and have not gotten an advancement from it yet.
The district manager does not know anything either and forget about the HR manager.
It is one of the most horrible places and everyone who works for them ends up working for Lowes. They treat their associates much better and they get discounts.

maybe your particular store bites the big one, however ,that doesn't by any means apply to all HD stores. I happen to work for an awesome store and I can honestly say this is the best job i've ever had. part of it is having people who, instead of complaining all the time, take the time to make a difference and change the status quot. Even 1 person with a positive attitude can influence the morale of many. Focus on the good, and your positive attitude is contagious. continue to be a sour puss and I guarantee that you will always work in a miserable place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

voltom05 in Alabama

71 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: maybe your particular store bites the big one, however ,that doesn't by any means apply to all HD stores. I happen to work for an awesome store and I can honestly say this is the best job i've ever had. part of it is having people who, instead of complaining all the time, take the time to make a difference and change the status quot. Even 1 person with a positive attitude can influence the morale of many. Focus on the good, and your positive attitude is contagious. continue to be a sour puss and I guarantee that you will always work in a miserable place.

Well I don't know how you can comment like that, I know of quite a few people who have worked for Home Depot all over the US. One in California, New Jersey, Alabama, all of who say like me it is the worst place to work. Also did you hear the ex CEO is under investigation for fradulent claims? Yeah right it is a good place to work LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nightsqueen in Olympia, Washington

70 months ago

I agree with you 100% fwdmd. I started as a part-time cashier a little over a year ago...right before the recession really started rearing it's ugly head. My whole entire experience there has been incredibly positive, from the interview onward. The day I was interviewed they tried to call me back in for my second before I even left the store. I DID toy with the idea of leaving last winter when hours were getting slashed...but I decided to stick with it, and I'm glad I did. This store has taken very good care of me. My FES has really proven that he genuinely cares about his cashiers...as long as they do what is expected of them. He gave me the Pro-cashier position, which guarantees my hours each day from 5:45 am to 2:45 am. You can't beat that as far as scheduling goes. Yeah, sometimes the scheduling is messed up, hours get slashed and people complain, but that is with ANY retailer...hours are based on store sales. Yes, it's a catch-22, but that's how it goes. Also as a PT'er I managed close to FT hours due to people calling out constantly. They knew I was always willing to go in to work, so I was the first one they'd call if I wasn't already there. This summer, as was standard company-wide, we hired all Temps. My SM and ASM's fought tooth and nail to keep a few of our temps and bring them on as Permanent PT. The people we kept worked hard, and proved that they wanted to stay. Because of the recession, our store hasn't made anyone FT in over a year and a half. But I was told that I was next on the list. Well, today I was told that I am FT as of Monday. I am the ONLY associate going FT out of a store of 101 employees, about half of which are still PT, especially now that winter is on it's way. So, I guess that if you aren't willing to work hard, then yes, you'll get the shaft...but isn't that true anywhere? Maybe I'm naive, but so far, everything I've been promised has become reality there, and they have never let me down, not once.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crusher311 in Anchorage, Alaska

69 months ago

Ok as a past employ of home depot it just depends on where your working i was at a few home depots and they are not all the same the kenai home depot rocked was the best place to work the management team stood behind its people when ever possible the other home depot was in anchorage and when i got there same story other then one manager. they changed store managers around and then that store sucked to work for the bad people got praised and the good people got the shaft. the management team did not back its team up and would often throw good people out for following the rules of home depot just to please a customer who needed the rues bent or broken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ragamuffin in Severna Park, Maryland

68 months ago

I am a MET associate in Maryland, having been with the HD for over 12 yrs. now. I was always a Plumbing associate, and decided to try a different position with a better schedule. I think we must always keep in mind when associates say "it is the greatest company to work for", that they may simply be grateful for their jobs. And in comparison to other jobs in retail that I have held, it IS a great company. No, I don't like everything about it, but it is retail in America, period. And some of what goes on is beyond anyone's control and always will be. Not everything is fair in the stores. I fully admit that. BUT, in the face of having no job at all, I'll take the Home Depot any day. I have seen a lot of people come and go in 12 years, worked in several stores, both in the South and the North, and I've come to the conclusion that overall, if you go to work, do your damn job, don't gossip, and go the heck home, all will be well. Mind your own business and do your job. That's it. Simple as that. I've tolerated mean, nasty, and downright ridiculous managers, same as everyone else. But I kept going to work, and doing a decent job. I've not always been the best employee either. I've had personal problems, had to take a leave of absence twice, and they understood. I have found that it is pretty hard to get fired from the Home Depot. Those I've seen go have been given lots of warnings, or violated some safety or money procedures and were let go immediately. I've seen people treated in what I thought was an unfair manner, yet I'm not a manager and don't have to answer to the people they have to answer to, so I can't really judge. Overall, I hope to keep my job as long as I want it or need it, and don't plan on retiring from the Home Depot. But I honestly have to say they have been good to me and helped me through some bad times. They are a business, and have to operate as such, which unfortunately sometimes seems cold and mean. But that is what retail is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I have learned a lot about the HD as a key carrier, the fact is that a person's attitude, determines whether or not they get terminated for minor infractions or what they do gets overlooked. for example, one of my associates had frequent customer complaints for customer service, or lack there of, and recently got written up for a 5th hour violation. he was given a 1st and final. another one of my associates got a 5th hour violation and only got a verbal counseling, basically it is at the discretion of management, who gets terminated or not. there really isn't a set policy...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray Tibod in West Hartford, Connecticut

68 months ago

Well I'll tell ya - my attitude was one of the better ones. Wheneever I was asked to help another associate or manager, my answer was "absolutely". I told all my customers my name, (even though it was written on my apron) - walked them through the store, etc. I wasn't perfect, but I was known as one of the people who came in on my shift to work - not to just collect a paycheck. Yet management only squirmed a little when they told me I was out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Depot Blows in Jersey City, New Jersey

68 months ago

You all got to be kidding me, we love this company after 3 months with them, wait till you get your raise oh how things will change. LOL And the ones who been with the company for 5 years wait till you get a couple more under your belt then WHAM your gone. Depot is the worst company around, they give you b/s raises, health insurance that you cant afford to pay for. Just this year they raised the rates 8%, the raises that are given out 32 cents, it doesent cover the 8% increase. you got to be kidding me. My advive is run fast, you dont have a life with them because your schedule changes. See i was a manager for 12 years was let go because i made too much money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Depot Blows in Jersey City, New Jersey said: You all got to be kidding me, we love this company after 3 months with them, wait till you get your raise oh how things will change. LOL And the ones who been with the company for 5 years wait till you get a couple more under your belt then WHAM your gone. Depot is the worst company around, they give you b/s raises, health insurance that you cant afford to pay for. Just this year they raised the rates 8%, the raises that are given out 32 cents, it doesent cover the 8% increase. you got to be kidding me. My advive is run fast, you dont have a life with them because your schedule changes. See i was a manager for 12 years was let go because i made too much money.

cmon be real, you weren't let go cause you made too much money, that's a crock of bs, what's the real reason? I make as much as the average asm last year I made 54k this year probably 57k as a key carrying dh, my last raise was 2% big deal, the economy sux so we all have to tighten our belts, deal with it. my suggestion, live within your means until the economy turns around...most of the rest of the world is laying people off and/or reducing salaries, thank god for the Home Depot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Depot Blows in Colonia, New Jersey

68 months ago

masterspec101 in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: cmon be real, you weren't let go cause you made too much money, that's a crock of bs, what's the real reason? I make as much as the average asm last year I made 54k this year probably 57k as a key carrying dh, my last raise was 2% big deal, the economy sux so we all have to tighten our belts, deal with it. my suggestion, live within your means until the economy turns around...most of the rest of the world is laying people off and/or reducing salaries, thank god for the Home Depot

57K Please, i was at 68k as aop's manager,you dont know squat as a key lacky, TRUST ME., Ok, tell me about the bennys,they raise it 8% raise is 30 cents COME!! I do live in my means, i did get a job very quick actually same pay with a life, see with depot you have no life, its too much reports diffrent schedule's and all the other bs. I have a family that i do see now with my monday- friday job, so key lacky go back on your knees and do what you do best, like i said i was a OP'S Manager you dont now what goes on behind doors, key lackys are not allowed, oh maybe to fetch the coffe :) OH by the way 2% is standard each year maybe 2.5thats it never more........ LACKY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ray Tibod in West Hartford, Connecticut

68 months ago

Depot Blows in Colonia, New Jersey said: 57K Please, i was at 68k as aop's manager,you dont know squat as a key lacky, TRUST ME., Ok, tell me about the bennys,they raise it 8% raise is 30 cents COME!! I do live in my means, i did get a job very quick actually same pay with a life, see with depot you have no life, its too much reports diffrent schedule's and all the other bs. I have a family that i do see now with my monday- friday job, so key lacky go back on your knees and do what you do best, like i said i was a OP'S Manager you dont now what goes on behind doors, key lackys are not allowed, oh maybe to fetch the coffe :) OH by the way 2% is standard each year maybe 2.5thats it never more........ LACKY

Well Said Bows - Well Said
RT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Depot Blows in Colonia, New Jersey said: 57K Please, i was at 68k as aop's manager,you dont know squat as a key lacky, TRUST ME., Ok, tell me about the bennys,they raise it 8% raise is 30 cents COME!! I do live in my means, i did get a job very quick actually same pay with a life, see with depot you have no life, its too much reports diffrent schedule's and all the other bs. I have a family that i do see now with my monday- friday job, so key lacky go back on your knees and do what you do best, like i said i was a OP'S Manager you dont now what goes on behind doors, key lackys are not allowed, oh maybe to fetch the coffe :) OH by the way 2% is standard each year maybe 2.5thats it never more........ LACKY

ok lACKY, Since you are this big hot shot with a key in your pocket, what is your sale to plan %? How many hours are you over or under payroll? What is your sales plan for the year and what % are you at? See if you are this big hot shot you should have the answer to this, I will give you one more, what was your sales on Glass Nails?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Depot Blows in Colonia, New Jersey said: ok lACKY, Since you are this big hot shot with a key in your pocket, what is your sale to plan %? How many hours are you over or under payroll? What is your sales plan for the year and what % are you at? See if you are this big hot shot you should have the answer to this, I will give you one more, what was your sales on Glass Nails?

Hey Lacky, what are you doing this weekend? Oh i forgot you work at depot so u work weekends, dont say you dont I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.......... LACKY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

hardworkin lady in California, California

68 months ago

Depot Blows in Colonia, New Jersey said: Hey Lacky, what are you doing this weekend? Oh i forgot you work at depot so u work weekends, dont say you dont I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.......... LACKY

I know your comment states "i was at 68k as aop's manager" and "too much reports diffrent schedule's" along with telling someone you term a "LACKY" (perhaps you were struggling to find the word lackey which refers to a minion or assistant)to "fetch the coffe" (I assume you meant the wonderful beverage known widely as "coffee"). I would say that being able to spell and write in some type of intelligent manner may qualify you for an entry level position but if you were truly at the salary you claim (my guess is yet another typo - 30k is probably more in line) you were vastly overpaid and more than likely horrendously unqualified for the position you had.
Masterspec 101 - don't have a battle of wits with this sadly unarmed man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

hardworkin lady in California, California said: I know your comment states "i was at 68k as aop's manager" and "too much reports diffrent schedule's" along with telling someone you term a "LACKY" (perhaps you were struggling to find the word lackey which refers to a minion or assistant)to "fetch the coffe" (I assume you meant the wonderful beverage known widely as "coffee"). I would say that being able to spell and write in some type of intelligent manner may qualify you for an entry level position but if you were truly at the salary you claim (my guess is yet another typo - 30k is probably more in line) you were vastly overpaid and more than likely horrendously unqualified for the position you had.
Masterspec 101 - don't have a battle of wits with this sadly unarmed man.

Thanks hardworkin, These are the words of a terminated ops manager who didn't have what it takes to be a SM. I don't blame him for being bitter, i'd be pissed too. Big shot Ops mgr, that's like the chiropractor of the medical world, always second rate. so now your pushing paperclips in some office some where wishing your life didn't suck, congrats a-hole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Ray Tibod in West Hartford, Connecticut said: Well Said Bows - Well Said
RT

Thanks, stay in you will find work. I will say one think Ray, when i left within a week or so my wife said look at you, you have this great smile, the stress was gone from that place. I was tired of lying to GOOD people with Familys like us just because they are making too much and we must trim payroll. Thats not the depot i was with 12 years ago. Its very bad, people dont know. Just walk into any store and you will see a kid with there hat sideways and pants down to there knees that knows squat. We did, we cared. But the way they do things is brutal. My brother hang in there, you sound like a good person. As for my new lacky friend (masterspec101) i will be on here each day looking for you, because you know squat. You are a DH, I call them D#%K Heads. Just when they ax you think of me my little lacky friend........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

edisonhomedepot in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

Your ignorance is appalling, and it blows my mind that someone who can make so many grammatical errors help such a position, in a neighboring store, in the same district that I am in. I will admit, I am new to HD, however, you would have to be stupid not to see what this entire country is going through right now economically. I'm young, yes, 20 in fact. I am not in school, I can't afford it. This is all I have right now. And personally, I get treated very well, and FAIRLY for that matter. I work hard. Within my first week of being there, I stopped someone with over $450 of merchandise from using self checkout to scan their own personally made upc's which would have rang everything up as 2.99 on items such as tools, I pushed the most credit cards, and pushed the most ESPS. Work hard and you shall be rewarded. I've seen it. And I DO know what goes on 'behind closed doors' at depot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

edisonhomedepot in Edison, New Jersey

68 months ago

excuse me, held* such a position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Depot Blows in Colonia, New Jersey said: Thanks, stay in you will find work. I will say one think Ray, when i left within a week or so my wife said look at you, you have this great smile, the stress was gone from that place. I was tired of lying to GOOD people with Familys like us just because they are making too much and we must trim payroll. Thats not the depot i was with 12 years ago. Its very bad, people dont know. Just walk into any store and you will see a kid with there hat sideways and pants down to there knees that knows squat. We did, we cared. But the way they do things is brutal. My brother hang in there, you sound like a good person. As for my new lacky friend (masterspec101) i will be on here each day looking for you, because you know squat. You are a DH, I call them D#%K Heads. Just when they ax you think of me my little lacky friend........

looks like in your part of the country, there's slim pickins for quality employees, so they're less likely to pay good salaries, or care about their employees. Let me tell you that I've been to several stores in my district and they don't blow as much as your store does. And I can guarantee you that if some one in my store had your crappy attitude, they wouldn't have lasted as long as you did... Ponder on that you loser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SDA02 in Massapequa, New York

24 months ago

I have only been at Home Depot for 2 months now. But I have to say I cant think of a better place to work. My co-workers are great and managers are wonderful and very supportive. Never have I loved a job so much! The scheduling is what it is. But the feeling of being appreciated for my hard work is something that you can not describe..... I deffinatly plan on making a CAREER into this!! I love Home Depot and want to stay here till i retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barb49 bandy in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

Let us know how well it's working for you after you reach the upper end of your pay scale, get injured or get too old. Good luck to you with the evil orange empire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.